New BOA points question

OK, have had the BOA card for almost ten years. But have a new question

We have quite a few points. Can I use 50,000 to upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony. And then turn around and use another 50,000 points to take $500 off the price we pay for the oceanview???

Anyone ever do this??? I know I can call. But usually hearing first hand experience is better info than the reps know

And one more question.

How do I go about and upgrade??? Do I book and pick a OV room, and then call and redeem the certificate and upgrade and pick the balcony???

You pick whatever room you ultimately want. When you redeem the points for the upgrade, they will give you a credit in the amount of the difference between the least expensive available OV and the least expensive available balcony. Note that your stateroom will be priced without BOGO or 30/30 as a condition of using the points for an upgrade, so be prepared.

Edited by clarea

You pick whatever room you ultimately want. When you redeem the points for the upgrade, they will give you a credit in the amount of the difference between the least expensive available OV and the least expensive available balcony. Note that your stateroom will be priced without BOGO or 30/30 as a condition of using the points for an upgrade, so be prepared.

OK thanks. So does the website show the base price??

OK thanks. So does the website show the base price??

The website won't show the base rate initially. However, once you have selected a stateroom, you can click on "View Detailed Pricing" to see the inflated base price.

Nevermind. Found it. That just stinks.

May as well just take all $$$ off the cruise.

Doing upgrade no longer is worth it. Cost more money

Seems to work out that way often now. Amazing, the prices are not lower, but by declaring a "sale", they disable both the best Visa points redemptions and the shareholder benefit OBC. Got to hand it to Royal.

Is it true that if you use BOA points for OBC, solos don't get double C&A points? I'm close to the next level and trying to decide if I should book RCCL to get there or continue taking less expensive cruises on other lines.

I've never heard of a connection between getting Visa points OBC and double C&A points.:confused:

Nevermind. Found it. That just stinks.

May as well just take all $$$ off the cruise.

Doing upgrade no longer is worth it. Cost more money

This is why we no longer use the Royal Visa. We were able to use the points for a couple free cruises before all the "smoke and mirror" sales started. There is no end in sight so we have been using points for cruise discounts. Holding onto just over 50k points in the event they end the BOGOhoax (credit to Bob for this one). Most likely I will end up applying to our Nov 2016 cruise.

We have always used the Visa points for OBC. There is so much up sell for specialty restaurants, wine and spa that it is much better to use the points to mitigate and have a much lower balance at the end of the cruise.

OBC is all we have been abkle to use the points for since the fake sales started.

I used 15,000 points for $150 off my cruise fare recently.

In the past I was able to use them for an "upgrade" which usually netted me $300 instead.

Sadly those days are also gone

I'm using my last 15k points for an obc next cruise and then I am done with this card.

Is it true that if you use BOA points for OBC, solos don't get double C&A points? I'm close to the next level and trying to decide if I should book RCCL to get there or continue taking less expensive cruises on other lines.

I sailed in November as a solo and had no issue combining OBC and double C&A points. I have never heard that either but I would call Crown and Anchor and double check to make sure. Please report back!

OBC is all we have been abkle to use the points for since the fake sales started.

We get the best price available through Royal or TA that we an utilizing whatever sale works out best, then redeem 50K points against the bill before final payment and then have redeemed points for an OBC that will cover expenses incurred on board. It is just working with what they have. It keeps our cruising costs as low as possible.

We get the best price available through Royal or TA that we an utilizing whatever sale works out best, then redeem 50K points against the bill before final payment and then have redeemed points for an OBC that will cover expenses incurred on board. It is just working with what they have. It keeps our cruising costs as low as possible.

I agree, the discount is sometimes a better way to go. I usually don't think of it in time, so end up using the points for OBC.

I have given up trying to figure out a way to use the points for a free cruise. It never works out in my favor thanks to these lovely "sales". It's either discount on cruise, or OBC.

May end up dumping the card since I only use it for RC related charges.

Last week I just got our reservations under the new 30% off sale.

Will I be able to use my points to reduce the price that we owe as a cruise discount, or am I limited to only using it for OBC?