SERIOUS!! Cabin Temperature warranting a Fan?

caddykid12

Sailing in April and if our cabin is that warm, our balcony door will be open 24/7. Our thermostat never changes from 65 at home and 72 is absurd. Just another cost cut/savings.

HUH? 65 at home is kind of absurd also, because it would practically burn out your A/C unit every couple of years. 72 is actually a normal average temperature that most places keep. But if you like it so cold, why would you have your balcony open? All that hot humid air will prevent your room staying cool.

This is a ongoing issue, back in the days the rooms were so cold you could hang meat in them, now they are warmer because they are trying to save power which helps the bottom line. I have in the past called and complained about it and they come open the ac valve in the ceiling letting more air in . That did help somewhat.

Perhaps 72° is "absurd" if you live in Ohio. Also, everyone can be different when it comes to temps. Here in south Florida, we'd be "freezing" at 65°. During Summer months we keep the A/C at 78° and might supplement with a ceiling fan. Right now our HVAC is shut off, and the house is at 74°- very comfy.

So you see, "absurd" is relative. I think 65° is absurd, but we are no longer used to the frigid temps you get up north. Our bodies have acclimated to dealing with higher temps. We'd have a fit if we found our cabin stuck at 65°.

Different strokes for different folks, and I don't see this as cost cutting.

If I kept my temp at 65 I couldn't afford to cruise, money would all go to the electric company I agree we have acclimated to the warmer temps. I can't imagine living in the frigid north, snow is beautiful though.

Edited by dacsmom

This is the precise reason most rooms can not get cool. Someone in the same area of the ship is keeping their balcony door open 24/7. You aren't supposed to do that. Depending on when and where you are sailing, it is unlikely to be cooler outside than in your room and it is certainly more humid. If you need a breeze, bring a fan!

In all of our cruises, I have yet to leave a balcony door open. The sound coming through cabin door out the balcony sounds like a tornado if just for a second. But 72 degrees is a bit much to this Northerner. I understand closed ventilation/AC systems. It's also a matter of air flow. What it boils down to is Carnival doesn't fit my needs maybe. No problem.

HUH? 65 at home is kind of absurd also, because it would practically burn out your A/C unit every couple of years. 72 is actually a normal average temperature that most places keep. But if you like it so cold, why would you have your balcony open? All that hot humid air will prevent your room staying cool.

Down South this might burn out units. Up North, with well insulated home, ceiling fan and window unit at a minimum, all is good. Treated windows and central air and also easily accomplished.

Perhaps 72° is "absurd" if you live in Ohio. Also, everyone can be different when it comes to temps. Here in south Florida, we'd be "freezing" at 65°. During Summer months we keep the A/C at 78° and might supplement with a ceiling fan. Right now our HVAC is shut off, and the house is at 74°- very comfy.

So you see, "absurd" is relative. I think 65° is absurd, but we are no longer used to the frigid temps you get up north. Our bodies have acclimated to dealing with higher temps. We'd have a fit if we found our cabin stuck at 65°.

Different strokes for different folks, and I don't see this as cost cutting.

Just glad I don't live in your house. 78 would never do.i have lived in south Louisiana and coast in Texas for total of 68 yrs. and have never gotten use to that temp inside. Yes, it is muggy and hot as all get out nearly year round outside, but I have control of the inside and I may not crank it down to 65, no way would I live with 78 winter or summer.

Just glad I don't live in your house. 78 would never do.i have lived in south Louisiana and coast in Texas for total of 68 yrs. and have never gotten use to that temp inside. Yes, it is muggy and hot as all get out nearly year round outside, but I have control of the inside and I may not crank it down to 65, no way would I live with 78 winter or summer.

Down in south florida 78 is pretty average. That's what my T-stat stays at. I have some windows open because it has been so nice out and it is 75 in the house. Sometimes in the summer have to knock it down to 76 to take off the edge. Set it at 74 ot 75 and the AC will just run and run and run and run till it pukes. Walk into a store that is 70 down here and you get goosebumps.

Down in south florida 78 is pretty average. That's what my T-stat stays at. I have some windows open because it has been so nice out and it is 75 in the house. Sometimes in the summer have to knock it down to 76 to take off the edge. Set it at 74 ot 75 and the AC will just run and run and run and run till it pukes. Walk into a store that is 70 down here and you get goosebumps.

What?:eek::eek:

I live in CT. My thermostat never goes above 68.:eek:

We were in negative temps last week, and I STILL kept it at 68.

Are you serious???????

I am 45 years old. Not sure that makes a difference, but WOW!!!

That just seems like a HIGH temp to keep your house at, in FL

A central system like ones used in ships and commercial buildings is the most efficient way to cool but does have a few drawbacks. Rooms that have western facing windows during the afternoon won't, because of the sun beating on the windows (even with overhangs) won't cool as quickly as those facing east. Since most sailings travel south and then return north it will be easier to keep temperatures cooler either going or coming. Also, the rooms on a ship do not have much insulation between rooms so if your neighbors keep their rooms excessively cool or warm it will affect the temperature in other rooms.

Most homes do not cool uniformly. Because of windows and solar gain, even if your thermostat is set at a constant temperature it doesn't mean your entire home will be that temperature. Besides, cool air drops so cabins on higher decks will have a tendency to be warmer than cabins lower in the ship.

Unless we are all willing to pay for individual cooling units in each room (and that is a high prohibitive price both at time of construction and ongoing usage) we all need to be aware that temperatures will fluctuate and the cooling system may not be as precise as we would like to have.

Are you serious???????

Well, you're a bit older than me (wasn't expecting that, were you? :D)

But yes, I am serious.

A week or two ago we were bundled up in sweats and socks when it hit 68 inside the house. Had to fire up the heat to get it to 70 to take the chill out. We don't have furnaces in houses in South Florida either. But yeah, if I set my A/C at 75 in the summer it will run nonstop. But if I set it at 77 or 78 it feels pretty cool and comfortable inside. My neighbor calls my house "the ice box". he keeps his at 80.

I used to live in the northeast where these temps would seem absurd to me too; but it works down here. Right now it's 72 outside at 11:30PM. the a/c is off and a few windows are open and it's a nice 75 in here.

Are you serious???????

Karen I am up in Litchfield county. Where all the snow is. It's 30 out right now. My window is open 20" fan is on high and have no heat on. 72 in my cabin in 2 weeks is really gonna suck. Ordered 2 o2Cool 10" battery/ac adapter duel power source fans at home depot today. Hopefully that does the trick for 14 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, before I was married, and would travel to FL I would stay with my Grandparents. I couldn't stand it some times, at night sleeping. They would keep the A/C on 78°. Way too hot, being as I've lived in MA my entire life.

During the winter, the highest we put the heat is 70°. In the summer, we use window units, and usually set them to about 68° as well, so I guess 72° won't kill us.

We do usually run a fan at night, regardless of the season, just for the white noise.

For those that have brought a fan, what size do you bring? I see the 10" fan was mentioned here..

Does the 10" fan do a good job circulating air in the room, or is it more for putting near one person to get the breeze off the fan?

I like Lou's answer as he explains geographic variables on what is considered a "comfortable" room temp.

Add to this list of variables: people taking certain meds which reduce blood circulation to their extremities (majority of our seniors), menopausal and post menopausal women whose body sensors change even though the external temp factors are constant, people like the OP with respiratory or breathing issues, and many others, so there is no set ideal room temp.

One person's hot zone is another's comfort level, which is another's cold zone. Until the person who was comfortable needs a sweater even though the room temp and air currents haven't changed. Then has to take it off 10 minutes later.

I like Lou's answer as he explains geographic variables on what is considered a "comfortable" room temp.

Add to this list of variables: people taking certain meds which reduce blood circulation to their extremities (majority of our seniors), menopausal and post menopausal women whose body sensors change even though the external temp factors are constant, people like the OP with respiratory or breathing issues, and many others, so there is no set ideal room temp.

One person's hot zone is another's comfort level, which is another's cold zone. Until the person who was comfortable needs a sweater even though the room temp and air currents haven't changed. Then has to take it off 10 minutes later.

You are right on the money, Bob! Also, let's not forget another thing I am somewhat loathe to mention. Percentage of body fat, which is an insulator.

On ships; some good comments were made above, as to side of the ship you are on, closing the drapes, and keeping the balcony door shut.

As to having fans in cabins, I offer this:

hotel-queen-mary.jpg

These are on Queen Mary, Long beach (in the cabins), and are original but not operational any longer due to their cut-your-finger-off design of the 1930s. Also, QM for much of her sailing life did not have A/C! That as changed with the hotel version, but you can still open the port holes.

On the Legend in Alaska, the rooms were too hot. We happened to hit Alaska when they were have a hot spell, 80 degrees in Juneau/Skagway. The room was at 76 degrees, when we complained and they came and checked it out, a note was left in the room stating that the temperatures were within Carnival's guidelines. I spent a lot of time on the Balcony and outside where it was cooler as we were sailing.

I will be sailing on the 14 day Journey trip on the pride in 3 weeks. Out of Baltimore

The times I've been on carnival the rooms have seemed to be Hotter than a normal temperature and the A/C really cannot keep up to pace.

If you're in room 7299, it was cold enough to use as a meat locker! Even my DH who is NEVER cold - was freezing!

We were on the Valor last month, balcony cabin, and we had to call guest services 3 different times because it was so hot in our cabin. Each time they bought a monitor to see what the temp was....it ranged from 75-82 degrees. And that was with keeping the drapes closed! Too hot for our comfort level!! Trying to sleep was miserable.

If you're in room 7299, it was cold enough to use as a meat locker! Even my DH who is NEVER cold - was freezing!

So you thought so too?? I was never so cold as in that cabin. Better than roasting, I guess. :D

So you thought so too?? I was never so cold as in that cabin. Better than roasting, I guess. :D

Again...relative. I'd rather roast by 10 degrees than be 1 degree too cool.

Funny...people want to sail to "warm ports" yet complain that 72 is too hot in the cabin.

Again...relative. I'd rather roast by 10 degrees than be 1 degree too cool.

Funny...people want to sail to "warm ports" yet complain that 72 is too hot in the cabin.

And by the comments here, many others would rather it be 10 degrees cooler than 1 degree warmer.

And by the comments here, many others would rather it be 10 degrees cooler than 1 degree warmer.

Right on spot

You can cover up, add clothing to warm up. When it is like burning in hell what can you do but sweat and get angry.

Out of 22 cruises we have only had one that was hot (on CCL) and it was horrible. Nothing was done to fix the problem.

So far ncl has not gotten stingy with the AC

Humidity plays a bigger part in feeling hot or cold. If its humid 72 will feel hot and sticky. AC takes and lowers the humidity along with the temperature , if it doesn't run long enough the temp will feel hotter. Leaving your balcony door open in the Caribbean will raise the humidity and you will feel hotter. On some ships that effects the rooms that are on the same AC vent system. Or it shuts the system off making all rooms on the same system hotter.