SERIOUS!! Cabin Temperature warranting a Fan?

caddykid12

I will be sailing on the 14 day Journey trip on the pride in 3 weeks. Out of Baltimore

The times I've been on carnival the rooms have seemed to be Hotter than a normal temperature and the A/C really cannot keep up to pace.

I've noticed now on JH Facebook that a lot of people agree that

1. It's too hot

2. You can't control the room temperature just the air flow

3. The carnival setting is 72degrees

4. Some people bring fans but get confiscated

5. Only gives fans out at guest services who have medical issues. YET have been denied still

It says clearly fans are on the one list as an exception and state they are allowed but will be taken if seen as a hazard but given back at the end of the cruise

Yes I do have bad asthma and breathing in hot air is a big discomfort for me which can lead to complications.

What is my best bet!!! Will it be OK to bring a fan on board and pray it's not taken or should I try getting a medical note since I've heard they only give box fans out for medical conditions!

I cannot go 14 days in a room 72 degrees

We just got off the Carnival Breeze...packed a fan in my checked luggage and used it every night. I also had an alarm clock that showed the temperature in the room. On the coolest setting, the temp was 70 and the warmest setting it was 72. The fan was a must for me!

Just did the B2B Journey in January on Pride with my fan no problems. I brought mine on in my carry on. Just print exemption page from Carnival that lists fans and you should be fine if there ever would be a question. I did notice the rooms being warmer than usual on this trip but I wouldn't say hot and stuffy. Ive been in some rooms on some ships that I had to wear a jacket in the room because too cold lol. Have fun! You will love the Journey cruise on Pride!

Sailing in April and if our cabin is that warm, our balcony door will be open 24/7. Our thermostat never changes from 65 at home and 72 is absurd. Just another cost cut/savings.

Perhaps 72° is "absurd" if you live in Ohio. Also, everyone can be different when it comes to temps. Here in south Florida, we'd be "freezing" at 65°. During Summer months we keep the A/C at 78° and might supplement with a ceiling fan. Right now our HVAC is shut off, and the house is at 74°- very comfy.

So you see, "absurd" is relative. I think 65° is absurd, but we are no longer used to the frigid temps you get up north. Our bodies have acclimated to dealing with higher temps. We'd have a fit if we found our cabin stuck at 65°.

Different strokes for different folks, and I don't see this as cost cutting.

Get one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/O2Cool-10-in-Battery-Operated-Fan-FD10002A/204354003?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D29-Appliances%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiAgKu2BRDu1OGw3-KXokwSJAB_Yy2QW2MCnsprKKGUA1gjYFarmbYdppqj5Y-6ZXp6i3EnihoC1F_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Runs off AC Adapter OR Batteries. I just unplug the AC adapter in my luggage so that it appears set up for batteries. Never had an issue on a cruise.

Perhaps 72° is "absurd" if you live in Ohio. Also, everyone can be different when it comes to temps. Here in south Florida, we'd be "freezing" at 65°. During Summer months we keep the A/C at 78° and might supplement with a ceiling fan. Right now our HVAC is shut off, and the house is at 74°- very comfy.

So you see, "absurd" is relative. I think 65° is absurd, but we are no longer used to the frigid temps you get up north. Our bodies have acclimated to dealing with higher temps. We'd have a fit if we found our cabin stuck at 65°.

Isn't this the truth:)

I have no medical reason -- just comfort -- and on my last cruise on Valor in December, I called Guest Services and they had a fan sent to my cabin within 10 minutes.

The one thing I've seen on JH's FB page is that there is a ton of inconsistency. Some people don't get them confiscated, some people have no issues getting one from Guest Services, and others get hassled both ways.

I would say that if you can't tolerate 72 degrees, you might want to find a different vacation. Maybe your room will be cooler. I've never had an issue with the room temperature. But normal room temperature is ok with me.

But if it's that big a deal to you, it's a risk. No question.

People and room temperature...interesting that many people will crank the heater up to 74 degrees during the winter but then swear that 68 degrees is much to0 warm in the summer.

Optimum temperature is 72 degrees (that's why people flock to San Diego where that is the average temperature year round).

If your room seems too warm remember to keep the drapes closed, that the more you open either the balcony door or the hallway door the more the mean room temperature is impacted.

Opening the balcony door does shut off the AC and the humid air (c'mn you are on the ocean) is more difficult to cool afterwards because moist air holds the warmth.

Want your room cooler for a long cruise....then interior rooms at the interior of the ship that have cabins above and below them are your best bet.

It's funny, we bring a fan every time and they never even look at it. But for us, going from the 80's and 90's outdoors to 70 indoors it feels freezing, and we usually have a sweatshirt ready for evenings. That fan has never actually been used!

My advice would be to make sure the fan is in your carry on. Much easier to argue the point then, rather than after it's been removed.

Yes, room temp is relative... I'm a Florida girl and I would be in jacket at 65 degrees brrrrrr... I always pack a sweater for the public areas... Lol... I keep my house 74-75. Plus, down here in Florida I can't imagine the power bill cooling to that temp in peak summer! Also, there are lots of elderly who sail and cannot tolerate things too cold. So, 72 has been found to be a compromise temp and results in the fewest complaints from the too cold and too warm camps.

Not always a temp issue, more of a 'no air circulating' issue.

Just off the Miracle. Our cabin temp ranged from freezer to 72 and stuffy. Sis was on the couch and was comfortable. I was by the window and was always stuffy. (We don't listen to Mom as she's always cold.)

I was fine with my small fan circulating the air. FWIW our hallway was always hot and stuffy.

At times they do shut off the air flow for maintenance. The Miracle wasn't too bad. Worst for us was Princess. Our cabin reached 77 and extremely stuffy b

Edited by SadieN

Thanks guys. I'll try my best and hope one gets thru in Baltimore.

To others. It's not a risk but for excursions I have to take multiple inhalers if I'm walking I'm 80 90degree weather. Sane goes sleeping breathing in 70 degree humid air. Rather not wake up to have to gasp for air.

I will pack a fan.. I will being a note and I will bring the exemption list just if I get qquestioned :)

14 days I wanna be comfortable :)

I hear ya. We have friends in Fla and at 65 they are hiding. If we could control the temp then problem solved for everyone. As soon as we lose control, then I think they have cost control on their mind. We find the cabin can't handle the daytime time heat but at 3 in the morning it chills down. And FYI, at 45 degrees, we're outside in shorts.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

Sailing in April and if our cabin is that warm, our balcony door will be open 24/7. Our thermostat never changes from 65 at home and 72 is absurd. Just another cost cut/savings.

This is the precise reason most rooms can not get cool. Someone in the same area of the ship is keeping their balcony door open 24/7. You aren't supposed to do that. Depending on when and where you are sailing, it is unlikely to be cooler outside than in your room and it is certainly more humid. If you need a breeze, bring a fan!

Edited by BigB0882

I bring a fan with me on every cruise because the rooms are too hot for sleeping comfortably. Only once has it ever been confiscated. I called guest services immediately and told them that per the list on the Carnival website, fans are not prohibited and I *nicely* demanded that it be released back to me. I also informed them that at all of their other ships that I had sailed on allowed fans.

Now I just pack my fan in my carry on so I don't have to have that conversation; port security never even asks me about it.

This is why the thermostat needs to adjust the cabin temperature!!!!

I live in CT. It's 54 outside now. And 54 in my room. Windows are open. Fans are on high! To each their own.

But yes it would be fair/reasonable if we can even adjust the cabin temp slightly!

Isn't this the truth:)

Um, no.

Different strokes mean each individual should be able to control their temperature. I live in Florida too and 74 degrees inside is uncomfortable to me.

It is absolutely cost-cutting when the lowest temperature allowed is 74 degrees... When the same ship used to have cabins that easily got to 68 degrees.