Rome airport (FCO)

2ashevillesailors

Yes, that is correct. You have to check in at Terminal 5, which accommodates the extra screening required for flights traveling directly to the US (and also for those going to Israel, I believe).

Then you are bused to your actual departure terminal (in most cases this is Terminal 3) to wait for your flight.

Do allow plenty of time for this process. Most recommend 3 hours from arrival at the airport, especially during the busy morning to mid-day hours.

Yes, that is correct. You have to check in at Terminal 5, which accommodates the extra screening required for flights traveling directly to the US (and also for those going to Israel, I believe).

Then you are bused to your actual departure terminal (in most cases this is Terminal 3) to wait for your flight.

Do allow plenty of time for this process. Most recommend 3 hours from arrival at the airport, especially during the busy morning to mid-day hours.

There is an exception: If you are flying on Alitalia metal to the US, you go right to the Alitalia terminal, no need to do the T5 shuffle… I was there in May (pre-fire), and I got to go directly to T3 for my FCO-JFK flight…

The T5 thing is for US and Canadian and Israeli-flagged airlines for pre-clearance, I believe...

We will be returning to US via London. Does Terminal 5 check-in then go to Terminal 3 still hold for this?

Your flight to LHR is a "domestic" flight. You will not go through Terminal 5. Only high security flights (direct to the US and Israel, generally, Alitalia excepted), require Terminal 5, as cruisemom42 said.

Your flight to LHR is a "domestic" flight. You will not go through Terminal 5. Only high security flights (direct to the US and Israel, generally, Alitalia excepted), require Terminal 5, as cruisemom42 said.

Thanks! I sort of thought that, but just wanted to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you check your luggage in at Terminal 5 before they take you to the flight terminal for the United States?

A question for getting off of the ship at Rome port. Is customs on the ship for disembarking or on shore?

Thanks.

Do you check your luggage in at Terminal 5 before they take you to the flight terminal for the United States?

A question for getting off of the ship at Rome port. Is customs on the ship for disembarking or on shore?

Thanks.

IIRC, you check your bags when you first enter the terminal building.

There isn't any real Passport or Customs check at Civi.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There isn't any real Passport or Customs check at Civi.
There isn't most of the time as most cruises in the Med start at a European city and stay within Europe for the entire cruise. If you arrive to Civitavecchia on a transatlantic you'd have a different situation.

There isn't most of the time as most cruises in the Med start at a European city and stay within Europe for the entire cruise. If you arrive to Civitavecchia on a transatlantic you'd have a different situation.

Thanks for the reply!

I was told that coming in from the US it may be faster since it may be done on the ship at Civi instead of on land.