Anyone on Riveria now? How are things?

RJB

RJB...Are you on a cruise now? I am wondering what it's like now.

If they are taking your ID card with their hands now. And if they are spraying your hands now.

My DH hs 2 different cancers, lung disease, kidney disease. I don't want him exposed to unnecessary chemicals.

We have been on quite a few Oceania cruises, always book an Oceania suite on the Riviera.

We may stay home instead of flying to Miami for this upcoming cruise, not happy with Oceania right now.

Not now. Was on the 2/12 cruise and that is how they did it then. Crew did not touch your'e cards. Would think they would continue to do the same as it did not take any more time and it is safer. If they stay code green there is no reason for you to stay home. Go and have a great time. :):)

If they are taking your ID card with their hands now. And if they are spraying your hands now.

My DH hs 2 different cancers, lung disease, kidney disease. I don't want him exposed to unnecessary chemicals.

We have been on quite a few Oceania cruises, always book an Oceania suite on the Riviera.

We may stay home instead of flying to Miami for this upcoming cruise, not happy with Oceania right now.

Poster CintiPam's has described the chemical the product being used as chlorine diluted to some unspecified degree.

I'd like to think that Oceania knows and will be able to provide specific information about the strength of the bleach. I doubt the average person who answers the phone will know, but I'm confident there is a way to connect with a department that deals with medical matters.

Hopefully, Oceania will help you come to a useful decision about cruising now.

Here's the link to CintiPam's post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49200878&postcount=488

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

All of my life I was encouraged to look at the bright side & accept the status quo...but I don't do that so much anymore. My stomach doesn't hurt all the time now, the way it used to, either!

It ISN'T OK with me at this point in my life to spend my vacation in a venue that is constantly being swabbed down with disinfectant that leaves great wet bubbles on tabletops the way it was on the last days of my O cruise that ended February 12 in Miami. That's NOT the way things are supposed to be in a 5 star venue, full stop.

Check out the boards on Azamara, Seabourn, Crystal, etc. Are they full of this sort of chatter? No, they are not.

So please demand more, so that you get what you have paid for.

I give up. Seriously. Come back to the bright side. Life is so much better here. The other cruise line forums light up like Christmas trees when Noro hits. And believe me it does. I can understand first timers being disgruntled if this happens on a cruise. But if you've felt positive about Oceania for years, suddenly you say game over because things didn't go well once?

What an entitled world we live in where the sun always shines and flowers are forever in bloom. No wonder there's so much divorce. Life is full of difficult times and what brings us a good life is how we handle them.

Anyone who wants smooth sailing all the time should stay home. But you might slip and fall in the bathtub and that can hurt. Plus you won't get to see what I'm seeing now from my chair in Horizons on a quiet morning approaching St Bart's, having a cup of coffee and looking out over the bow onto a calm and peaceful Caribbean Sea.

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I give up. Seriously. Come back to the bright side. Life is so much better here. The other cruise line forums light up like Christmas trees when Noro hits. And believe me it does. I can understand first timers being disgruntled if this happens on a cruise. But if you've felt positive about Oceania for years, suddenly you say game over because things didn't go well once?

What an entitled world we live in where the sun always shines and flowers are forever in bloom. No wonder there's so much divorce. Life is full of difficult times and what brings us a good life is how we handle them.

Anyone who wants smooth sailing all the time should stay home. But you might slip and fall in the bathtub and that can hurt. Plus you won't get to see what I'm seeing now from my chair in Horizons on a quiet morning approaching St Bart's, having a cup of coffee and looking out over the bow onto a calm and peaceful Caribbean Sea.

Well said. Bravo!

+1

well said Heather

People that live on the dark side & usually not nice to be around ;)

+2

(underlining mine) - we have seen some minor changes in Oceania over the years - and not all for the better. However, these are just facts of life - economical, social, etc.

That said, having just completed a B2B cruise on Princess (where we are Elite) & Oceania, it was easy to see why we keep coming back to Oceania.

shedridt - re: other forums. You should have seen the Silversea forum when one of their ships miserable failed a health inspection :)

Hi Heather,

Thank you so much for your updates and positive outlook.

I am booked on a cruise on the Riviera in June and can't wait!! On our last cruise on the Marina, this past December/January, I had medical issues that prevented me from taking any of my pre-planned, long anticipated excursions - I was bummed but hey, stuff happens! :eek: As soon as we got home, I booked our next cruise. :) What happened to me had no cause that could be determined, so there is always the possibility it could happen again, but I'm betting that it won't. I know my situation is not the same as experiencing a Norvo outbreak, which impacts many more people, but it demonstrates that unfortunate and definitely unplanned and unwanted things can happen to anyone at any time, but that doesn't mean you have to let a negative experience determine your outlook on the future and rob you of your joy. After all, most times for most people things go very well - why not expect that they will again?

My best friend is on this cruise and has been keeping me updated by email. She is always a wiper! :) She tells me the ship detoured to Grand Turk before San Juan to drop off a sick passenger. At first everyone thought "noro!" but no, they have been reassured by staff it was not at all noro related. A different health issue entirely.

She also tells me seas are a little rough at the moment, (probably not helped by the need to travel quickly to catch up some lost time) same as on our recent Silversea Christmas/New year cruise in the Caribbean, but her sea legs are holding up!

She is a happy-go-lucky type of person and I know she will make the most of her trip no matter what fate throws in her path. I love that type of person and Heather here sounds just the same. I tip my hat to you Heather for your positive outlook.

My friend says no-one seems sick with noro and she and her travelling companions are having a wonderful time. She says ship is beautiful, food is very, very good and staff are working so hard, yet are full of smiles. I will be on this ship in June for the first time and I am really looking forward to it and hoping I will carry onboard the same attitude to my cruise as she and Heather have to theirs.

I do not mean to minimise how awful norovirus is for those who suffered on the previous cruise or any other cruise. It is a very serious issue for sure. Just want to say that, goodness knows, trouble finds us all too easily in our daily lives without it needing our help to go looking for it.

I wish everyone happy travels.

Contrary to previous post, the seas have been quite calm though some didn't like the unusual motion the other day ... and not only has no one "seemed" ill with Noro, they haven't been. That's why they lifted all restrictions. We've had beautiful weather.

I won't update again here unless there is some change, but highly doubt there will be. The crew is so happy; I've never seen such a change in people. They're laughing, smiling, they tell us we can't know how good it feels. So I hope this continues for all upcoming cruises.

we are in Antigo today and DH and I are looking forward to our lobster and catamaran cruise. Have a great day. 😃😃😃

Thanks Heather for a calming reflection with the situation on Riviera.

We have flown from the UK and are in Miami prior to our cruise on the Riviera starting 3rd March.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the cruise and that the crew/staff have been stood down from the intense strain they have been under during this last week.

Thanks Heather for your updates. I am so happy things are back to normal for the staff and crew as they were getting exhausted. We were on BTB cruises from 02/02 to 02/22 so lived (healthy) through the whole experience . Although it was an inconvenience I do not think Qceania could have done any better. The vast majority of people co-operated very well but of course there were those who didn't. When we got off on Miami there were multiple cleaning crews boarding to help the regular crew clean. That was cruise 15 and 16 for us on Oceania and we booked 17 and 18. We have also cruised on many other lines and have full confidence in Oceania. As I work in the health field I know how ubiquitous Noro is especially in the Winter. Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Heather,

Thanks so much for your Terrific Posts. My wife and I are on the next Cruise

and are looking forward to ANOTHER wonderful " RIVERIA" experience. 71

CRUISES for me so far, the last 7 on O , and the last 3 on RIVERIA. We just

love it. 28 more on my Bucket List. Hope I make it, i'm in my eightys.

Thanks again and have a great time the rest of the trip

If someone has a compromised immune system, the experience of the February 12 cruise is very sobering. Fortunately, the two days of deep cleaning seems to have worked, and from all Heather has written, things are back to the normal great Oceania experience now.

I am very happy for Heather and all onboard now, but I have deep reservations about signing up for our ninth Oceania cruise since 2008. This is not because of the Norovirus onboard but in view of what, after deliberately reflecting on my experience for five days since returning home, I consider the poor leadership shown throughout our cruise, starting of course with the lack of factual information provided regarding the large extent of Noro on the previous cruise when we boarded, almost 7 per cent of passengers in the preceding few days alone. Better our cruise had been delayed than the conditions to which we all were exposed, including the chemicals to which we were exposed increasingly as our voyage proceeded, with no information about them provided until we demanded it personally, and the even larger numbers who contracted the virus during our the week onboard. All part of the poor crisis management exhibited by the ship's officers who literally hid in their offices all week with the exception of excellent CD Dottie.

Edited by CintiPam

If someone has a compromised immune system, the experience of the February 12 cruise is very sobering. Fortunately, the two days of deep cleaning seems to have worked, and from all Heather has written, things are back to the normal great Oceania experience now.

I am very happy for Heather and all onboard now, but I have deep reservations about signing up for our ninth Oceania cruise since 2008. This is not because of the Norovirus onboard but in view of what, after deliberately reflecting on my experience for five days since returning home, I consider the poor leadership shown throughout our cruise, starting of course with the lack of factual information provided regarding the large extent of Noro on the previous cruise when we boarded, almost 7 per cent of passengers in the preceding few days alone. Better our cruise had been delayed than the conditions to which we all were exposed, including the chemicals to which we were exposed increasingly as our voyage proceeded, with no information about them provided until we demanded it personally, and the even larger numbers who contracted the virus during our the week onboard. All part of the poor crisis management exhibited by the ship's officers who literally hid in their offices all week with the exception of excellent CD Dottie.

+1. Could not agree more

I guess I am confused as to who on board a ship is responsible to communicate with passengers. I thought communication was a CD responsibility. I'm not sure what additional info the ship's officers would communicate as I don't think any of them are medical people. I generally have difficulty understanding what ship captains are saying as English is not their first language.

I've never experienced Noro on Oceania but we've been on two other cruise lines where the ship officially had Noro. ( a third cruise line ship probably had Noro on board as we kept hearing many people were sick in their cabins).

I don't remember any special communication sessions. I remember the noon time regular updates by the captain and the CD in which a Noro update was given. The Noro update was pretty general, I recall them talking about the situation and how it was trending, getting better or getting worse.

Pam, your thoughtful comments are always appreciated by me. I share your concern about chemical exposure. Were they cleaning with bleach?

I also love Dottie, she is the best.

+1. Could not agree more

+2. :) Well said, Pam.

We believe that communication should have come by way of stateroom letter, each day of the process, to inform us of the illness situation and explain what steps were being taken from clorox to fogging. The latter really was scary! :(

I guess I am confused as to who on board a ship is responsible to communicate with passengers. I thought communication was a CD responsibility. I'm not sure what additional info the ship's officers would communicate as I don't think any of them are medical people. I generally have difficulty understanding what ship captains are saying as English is not their first language.

I've never experienced Noro on Oceania but we've been on two other cruise lines where the ship officially had Noro. ( a third cruise line ship probably had Noro on board as we kept hearing many people were sick in their cabins).

I don't remember any special communication sessions. I remember the noon time regular updates by the captain and the CD in which a Noro update was given. The Noro update was pretty general, I recall them talking about the situation and how it was trending, getting better or getting worse.

Pam, your thoughtful comments are always appreciated by me. I share your concern about chemical exposure. Were they cleaning with bleach?

I also love Dottie, she is the best.

Did anyone ever see Dottie doing any cleaning? I talked with a friend of mine who's son is a CD on RCCL. She said that when his ship had an outbreak, every crew member, including him (the CD) had to clean the ship during their off time. :eek:

Did anyone ever see Dottie doing any cleaning? I talked with a friend of mine who's son is a CD on RCCL. She said that when his ship had an outbreak, every crew member, including him (the CD) had to clean the ship during their off time. :eek:

Every crew member?

Does that include the Captain and other officers? :)

+2. :) Well said, Pam.

We believe that communication should have come by way of stateroom letter, each day of the process, to inform us of the illness situation and explain what steps were being taken from clorox to fogging. The latter really was scary! :(

What fogging? i never saw any of that. Where was it done?

Every crew member?

Does that include the Captain and other officers? :)

I would think the Captain & First Officer would be exempt ..they do need someone left in charge incase one comes down with NORO :D

Edited by LHT28