All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret did a thing a while back. I can't recall why but I thought she purposed to wear something different everyday of the week and work her way through her wardrobe...why did you do that again Margaret? Was it literally to wear everything you own at least once before repeating?

Since I started following the EARTH thread, I have done this twice, where I tried to wear something different from my closet for each day that I work (which is about 40 days per semester). The first time was right after I learned about Curt's website, and I was trying to focus on why I had so many clothes and never wanted to wear any of them. That first time was mostly a color exercise.

The second time was right after visiting Shop Your Shape, and that purge was mostly about getting rid of silhouettes that weren't working for me.

Since then we've been exploring the energy typing, and I would love to do another round of wear-a-different-thing-each-day. But, I've gained too much weight for a lot of my clothes, and I'd rather wait until I can fit into everything to make those kinds of decisions again. Unfortunately as soon as I got back on track with calorie counting and going to the gym (and lost three pounds, yay), I came down with the flu, so now I'm trying to restart. My cough has finally gone away, but I still am very tired at the end of the day.

Melody, those wedding pictures are stunning. How is the foot? We're cheerleading for you because we know you have a cruise coming up. :)

DH and I just got back from our annual weekend with cousins in Palm Beach. Trump was there and screwed up our flight home, so we got in very late last night. :( I only took a couple of clothing pics on my phone. This was the first time ever I was in FL without a bathing suit! It was so windy that it made it feel much cooler than the actual temp, so I was not happy with my choices, for the most part. Also, my feet swelled up so much at night! I've heard about that happening but it's the first time it ever happened to me.

Our hotel said it had wifi, but it was completely unusable. DH and I were scrambling this morning to catch up on email before we had to work.

Well, I had my postop appt today. X-ray looks like everything is holding together. I'm in a walking boot for 2 weeks ([emoji16]) & then should be able to work out. Here's what they took out of the foot. The purple piece is 2" 90cbf7d16aa93e30003a44939585e1ac.jpgf2ca6bb91280a0874273e8c319e48f2b.jpg.

I won't scare you with pictures of the foot, suffice it to say, it ain't pretty! I appreciate the kind thoughts & words. I cruise in 46 days!!! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow,Melody, that's a lot of metal. Thank you for sparing us the other stuff. I have a notoriously weak stomach. I can barely manage my kitty's fur balls. :)

Here is what I took to PB. First is Friday night dinner at our cousins' condo. This black shirt is a new purchase, part of my experimenting with Deep Autumn. I wore it with khakis and my sparkly flip flops. I worried that I would be hot in long sleeves, but it was quite cool at night.

PBblackoutfit.jpg

I wore this fun coral necklace from Ann Taylor.

PBblackjewelry.jpg

This is what I wore for lunch the next day. I could have used a sweater for the AC indoors. Everyone will recognize this top! The green ankle pants are the dark green in the top, but I couldn't get them to photograph well. Again the sparkly flip flops.

PBlunch.jpg

I love these olive green crystal earrings from the Etsy store Mashuganah.

PBearrings.jpg

For Saturday night dinner, I wore this Anne Klein dress with my citrines.

PBdress.jpg

And these gorgeous sandals that I don't get to wear often.

PBshoes.jpg

For Sunday brunch with my pretty sandals. This top is from Rose + Olive, which I find at Marshalls sometimes. It's one of the brands I scout for.

PBblueoutfit.jpg

This necklace goes with a lot. It used to be three strands, but one broke, and I haven't fixed it yet. It has matching earrings.

PBbluejewelry.jpg

That's it. Between recovering from flu and the monthly visitor, I wasn't looking my best so you don't get to see me this time. :)

Margaret, I laughed at the will recognize this top. It's on the top of my cruise clothes with my green skort & green capris. Its such a versatile top! I did find a green shrug that I think is going [emoji23][emoji23]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Melody...I so hope you recover quickly and are more able to enjoy your cruise. I think you will enjoy it regardless...but I hope your foot doesn't restrict you too much from being to do what you would really want to do.

Sally! Once you hit 30 on the countdown...the time seems to fly...especially preparing for such a longer trip. Maybe because there is just that much more prep that needs to be done to leave for longer?

Lovely outfits Margaret. Thank you for sharing again about your wardrobe experiment. I want to do something...something to change up what I've been doing clothing wise. I just have a hard time getting all dressed up and going nowhere...and it is to the point for me, that I literally feel "all dressed up" if I'm wearing anything besides active wear. I see others in casual clothing but even when I put on something similar...it almost feels like a costume to me. It bugs me that I feel that way during the week. Even if I just get "dressed up" for me...I think I should.

I do have the same weight gain problem for trying to sort through the current wardrobe. I think that's part of my angst...I'm not quite certain what actually fits or feels okay to wear these days and so getting normal clothes on is something of a chore. Active wear is so easy to wear!

I'll figure something out though. I've been taking advantage of DS' new semester schedule. He doesn't have a first period class so depending on what day it is, he doesn't have to be at school until 9:50 or 10:30. It's a perfect amount of time for me to get a workout in first thing in the morning. Take him to school...go for a nice walk, eat lunch, then shower and change into normal clothes. It's what to change into thats throwing me for a loop!

It's a good problem to have though...it means that I actually worked out in my active wear and need to change out of it!

Anita , Some of the new athletic wear is meant to be worn around town . Maybe you should just assembly three or four nice athletic wear outfits and change into them when you return from the gym ?

Margaret , I love all your prints . Alas my wardrobe is 99% solid colors so I have to get my prints from scarves . I did buy a printed cardigan that goes with a lot of my clothes and I really like it .It was a JJill purchase .

OMG! I wrote this long reply and somehow it just got lost. This thing came on asking me if I was a robot. WHAT????

Poof my reply was gone!

It was all about my Pirate's Tale. Oh well...I'll tell it another day. I don't have the energy for it now.

But I did want to say...

Melody...Here's wishing you a complete and speedy recovery. You've really been through the ringer...but you have a great attitude so I know you'll have a great time on your upcoming trip!

Anita...Athliesure Wear is a very hot fashion tred so you're right on the money with your style.

Margaret...loved the Anne Klein print dress! All your choices were great as always! The DH and I did 2 nights at a golf resort in Palm Beach last summer. I love the area!

Sally...Congrats on your new J Jill purchase.

I'm off to FL in two weeks. Going to take just a carry-on and a backpack. I have lots of clothes in FL already so I won't have to pack much. Not really putting outfits together this trip. Just taking a few basics. A pair of white Capri pants, a pair of white, skinny jeans (that I'll wear on the plane), and a pair of distressed Capri bluejeans will do for bottoms. I'll take about four tops (one will be a black/white stripped t-shirt that I'll wear on the plane along with my Black Sketchers) and wear whatever I have in FL to fill in. My other shoes will be my favorite Michael Kors, black, flip flops. That's it! As far as cosmetics and toiletries...I'm taking just some very basic things because I also have that stuff in FL too. The final item is my favorite summer hat. It's a tan, straw, fedora-style by Liz Claiborne. It has a black, grosgrain band with a bow on the side. I don't know what I'll do if it ever falls apart on me. It fits me perfectly and I've been wearing it for several years now. So, that's about it for FL.

Sally, I find that I rarely wear my solid tops any more. I am a bit print crazy! When I wore that Anne Klein dress, my cousin said OMG that is perfect with your hair, and I wanted to say "I know!!!!" Color dressing! :)

Anita, I have 7 or 8 Lucky Brand tops, and when I get home from work that's all I seem to wear. They're lightweight and comfortably loose, and the first things I grab out of the closet. There is a lesson there for when I do my next purge.

mousey, I hope you have a great trip to Florida without too much parental agita. I love packing for Florida -- it's so easy -- especially the west coast which is a bit more casual. I was hoping to visit my sister over spring break, but now it looks like most of that time will be in Michigan. Not exactly fun.

Melody... how's the foot? Whatever adjustments you have to make, your cruise is still going to be fabulous.

I once broke my foot in rehearsal, two days before I was to leave for Christmas week in FL, traveling alone (DH had to work over the holiday). I ended up flying down for the week with just a backpack and my crutches. I convinced my orthopedist to skip the cast so I would be able to swim in the pool. :) I borrowed lots of tshirts and toiletries, and just made do. It was still a lot of fun.

Hello, everyone! Lots of discussion going on here.

I have not found much of anything at all, no matter where I shop...Dillards has a brown suit and it is now on sale, but I'm still not comfortable with the price. Otherwise, I haven't found a thing.

Melody, all that hardware was in your foot??? What is in there now? Are they hoping that the bones finish healing together on their own?

Margaret, I love the outfits you brought with you on your trip. It's funny, because I am more comfortable in solid colors with added detail from accessories than I am in prints. If I have a solid color suit, for example, then I don't mind a print top. It's funny how you can think differently when you start to analyze things.

Anita, I do see a lot of athleisure, but it seems like it is sticking with certain age groups, but not others. I think will all the added stretch to clothing now, it is easier to fit odd sizes and to also be comfortable. But it really depends on the person.

I have a pair of olive green (yes!) capri length tights (I say tights as opposed to leggings, because when I think of leggings, I think of just stretchy pants without much structure. I"m not sure if I'm using the terminology correctly) but I have nothing that matches them for the gym. I was sorting through my gym clothing yesterday, and I think I will just do what I always do...try my best. I don't know what it is, but I can always find a ton of tops and bottoms, just not things that go together. So I have this medium coral tone top and I think that will work with the olive green.

They do have a small zipper pocket, so I think about how people wear things like this out and about. It's too cold for capri length here, but I don't think it fits me style wise to wear them other than for hiking or the gym. I'm just not comfortable with it. I do like the idea of wearing them for some long walks at the Erie Canal Park or Beaver Lake, since they have a lot of walking trails. Maybe when it warms up around here.

We are bracing for a possible storm. Margaret, I think you are in the potential path as well. They're talking about a foot of snow. We don't shut down around here, so I am hoping they can keep the roads clear and safe to drive on.

Mousey, have a great time in Florida. It sounds like you have everything situated.

My husband and I were talking about how we have one to two cruises a year, but we don't do a lot things such as go to a movie or small day trips. I'd like to do more of that. We have a lot of good sports teams here, so I'd like to attend more games. Syracuse basketball is obviously my favorite, but we have a hockey team (Syracuse Crunch) and a soccer team (Silver Knights) as well.

I go back to doc tomorrow for stitch removal (I counted, it's 57) & X-rays to see how it's holding together without the hardware. Hardly any pain, which is a plus. I'll look forward to wearing two shoes again!

Dragged Les to store this afternoon, he got two pairs of Chaps shorts (with a flex waistband, why don't they make those for women?), & a Chaps SPF50 shirt. The shirt has is cream with truffle & charcoal world globes actually really nice. One pair of shorts is khaki, the other is charcoal. He's ready to pack.

Hope those in this storms path stay safe, looks like it could be a doozy. We have had a very light winter & yes, I know it's long from over

It's been a sad weekend for me, two of my good childhood friends passed away this weekend. One was expected & she's out of pain. The other came down with the flu & had such severe vomiting that she tore an artery to her heart; that was a true shock, really makes you aware of your own mortality. Go, do & enjoy your life.

Sorry to be a downer. Melody

Aw Melody...sorry for your loss. Praying for a good report with the doctor.

I'm like you Margaret...love my prints! Even if I get solids...many times they are something that just functions as a solid but has texture or something so that it isn't literally one solid color.

I know athleisure is a trend. I come at active wear from a very different angle. Because I taught Zumba and other exercise classes for over 4 years...wearing active wear for me has an expectation on the day's activity. It was my work clothing...so I normally don't associate it with leisure. After losing my ACL, it was associated with PT. And now, for a couple years, it has been associated with the intention to work out, but little follow through.

I've always had a bit of an issue with what to change into "after work"...when I was losing weight, I didn't want to buy too much because sizes were still changing...when I was gaining weight, I didn't want to buy too much because I didn't want to acknowledge that I had gained too much weight to wear my clothes. Casual clothing has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

Now though...I've been consistently doing my exercise plan and I really want to take off the athletic clothing and feel like I'm taking of the expectation of any other exercise that day, because I will have done it. It's like a mental reward to change into normal clothing. Ta Da! Workout? Check! Shower and put on non-athletic clothes.

For a long time, I continued to wear things like yoga pants because they are an easy fit, and generally inexpensive. But again...I'm wanting to get away from even that because again, I mentally want to switch gears in the day. Bottoms are my biggest struggle...I am so disproportionate in my waist to hip ratio...I have a very hard time. I have some things though that I've picked up...I just need to spend some time to figure out how everything can go together...

Melody, I'm so sorry about your friends. So sad. But, we'll all be thinking about you tomorrow and sending our best healing vibes for some good news about your bones.

Laurie, this is just a terrible time to shop. All the winter stuff is picked over, and the summer stuff isn't out in full force. And who feels like trying on those lightweight clothes when it's 5 degrees outside?!? I also seem to have terrible luck when I'm looking for something specific. Some of my favorite purchases have just been fortuitous: when I try hard to find something, I never seem to.

We are in the path of a big nor'easter that's supposed to hit early Tuesday. They're projecting 12-18" of snow. My college almost never closes, but we probably will if the public schools do. So many children travel by bus and subway to school that there is a danger that they will get there ok, but not be able to get home later as the day worsens and public transit goes down. We will see what the mayor says. Most people don't realize that outside of Manhattan, many of the subways are elevated, and the tracks and switches ice up and don't work.

I am SO ready for spring! I do not want to wear a coat ANY MORE.

Laurie, we have been trying to make an effort to do more things in our area, too, because our next vacation is so far off. This weekend we met friends at a new wine bar, and next weekend we are going to a scotch tasting event. (Now I sound like all we do is drink.) Hey, if Michigan makes the playoffs, do you think they'd play Syracuse? I have no idea how basketball works, being a gridiron fan myself. :)

Melody, Sorry about your friends . We seem to lose one most years that is the really rough thing about getting older . I hope you are healing and everything is coming together .

Laurie, Sometimes you just have to do different things . We were getting into a rut were we were always going to the same place for dinner . Now we try a new place at least every other week .

Margaret & Laurie, Stay safe in the storm .

Just back from doc. Didn't expect to get an MRI! I go back on Weds to get results. I did have the stitches taken out today. I'll check back in on Weds with results. Meanwhile I'm having a glass of wine! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Drink up Melody...you sure deserve it. Sorry to hear about your friends. Hope you get good news on Wed.

We have been having really warm weather the last few days and it's going to continue to be warm through this week at least. I love where we live up in the Santa Monica mountains. A lot of flowers have started to bloom and it's so beautiful. And it seems as if it happened overnight! For example, on Saturday the DH and I were pulling out of the driveway to go to brunch and grocery shopping when we both exclaimed at the same time, "Wow look at the tree!" We have this big tree in front of our house that's right next to our garage. In the winter it loses all it's leaves and the last time we had noticed the tree it was just all leafless and looked dead, which is the way it looks in the winter because we cut the branches back. But on Sat...it was full of of flowers and blooming like crazy! Neither of us remember seeing the tree like that before. There are a lot of plants and trees here that only bloom for like a few days or weeks out of the year. It's kinda crazy really. But on Sat. that tree looked amazing! So beautiful full of small white flowers. We have no idea what kind of tree it is either. LOL!

The DS was home for two days with plans to hang out at home and then maybe go up to Berkeley to visit his friend, the young rapper that he manages. We know the parents casually and they just love the DS and told him he was welcome to stay with them. But...as is the case with our dear son...he changed his mind in a millisecond when 2 of his sister sorority girlfriends called from LAX and said they were stranded on their way to Cabo because their plane was late leaving Tucson and they missed their connecting flight. They wanted to know if the DS knew of an inexpensive hotel nearby where they could spend the night. The DS told them he would go pick them up and they could stay with us. The DS knows his friends are always welcome at our house anytime. So the girls were so excited and appreciative that they asked the DS to go to Cabo with them and told him he could stay in their condo for free (it sleeps 4). They told him he could sleep on the Murphy bed in the living room. So today I got up at 4am and drove the 3 of them to the airport and off to Cabo they went. We just got a call that they had arrived safely there. These kids...crazy crazy the way they change plans so quickly. His friend in Berkely was like, "Dude, I thought you were coming here?" So the DS told him...yeah like you or two girls in Cabo! His friend said. "Dude, I'd do the same thing." LOL Crazy crazy.

So, he'll be back here on Thursday night and will leave to go back to school on Sunday. Only 2 more months and he's out of Tucson and graduated. Wow! Did these last 4 years fly by or what!??? He's decided not to get his MBA yet. He wants to work and take at least a year off. He's so tired of school and all the pressure. His choice but hey...in a nanosecond he could change his mind again! You just never know...it's a roller coaster ride with this kid...he keeps us on our toes though. LOL!

OMG, I'm having a heck of a time with finding luggage for this trip to FL. The DH booked me on Spirit airlines (because it was really CHEAP) on the Orlando to Ft. Laud. leg of my trip. If you've never flown Spirit (I did once and swore, "Never Again in this Lifetime!") I'll tell you one thing...they are a major ripoff...But I know their game so I know how to not pay for all the things they charge for. I decided to go for it because it was so inexpensive and it's only a 1 hour and 5 mins. trip. However, I forgot about the extreme restrictions they have for their carry-on luggage because the last time I flew them I had checked my bag. Anyway...I'm having a devil of a time, with all the gazillion-sized travel bags we have, finding one that will fit their size restrictions. Ugh! I'm going to find one though. I'm going to have to downsize more than I thought. Clothes weren't going to be a problem but now they are. I just don't want to take less than I had planned. I'll let you know how it works out! Again, ugh!

Edited by mousey

Snow day! They've already closed all the schools tomorrow. I have already decided that I am going to be a house-cleaning ninja for the day.

I just love this skirt. It is the kind of slim profile that I like, and the diagonal is so flattering. I'm wondering if these are more FIRE though:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/27537/

I saw this top and thought of Anita for some reason. I think this might be an AIR green, though:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Easy_Does_It_Top/

How simple would it be to add some mismatched buttons to something similar? What a cute idea.

Since it's not a school night, I think I'll have a glass of wine with Melody :cool:

mousey, we have a tree like that, a mountain ash. It looks glorious for about five days and then goes back to being just a regular tree.

Margaret, too funny! They just opened a Soft Surroundings store here in Colorado Springs. I tried on that skirt, it's lovely (a bit pricey). I'll pick it up when it goes on sale or I get a coupon as the color is that neon green I like, it's pretty fiery. I also tried that shirt but it was too grey for me, fit was wonderful but the colors didn't enhance [emoji22]

I have a pair of pewter short wedge, double strap sandals in my closet that I've never worn. I pulled them out last night & tried them on (now that I don't have a bulky bandage on my foot!). They may be the only dress sandals I'll be able to wear! Now I'm going to have to go through my clothes to see if they go with anything I've planned on wearing! I'll try to get some pictures.

Everyone on east coast stay safe Melody

We never get snow days here....but we actually closed at 1:00. Most businesses are closed, and this is a rarity. They are trying to keep the roads clear, but it is a steady, slow snow. We are all home except my husband, who is considered essential personnel. He will get out at 5:00, depending on the status of the university. IN a worst case scenario, they will keep him there to respond to emergencies.

Margaret, my beloved team did not make the NCAA. They were the first team out. Everyone is in an uproar - some because they think it was unfair, others because they think the coach needs to be fired. We have an amazing team with a great record over the years.

This year, they had a few more losses. There are teams with more losses in the NCAA tournament, and we are the ONLY team that beat as many ranked teams as they did. We are first seed in the NIT...and we have tickets since the first two games will be played in Syracuse. We were supposed to go tonight, but it has been postponed until tomorrow.

And...the great women's basketball team that we have will have to play UConn in the second round of the NCAA, assuming they win their first game. (they should) For anyone who doesn't know, UConn has won over 100 straight games. They've been undefeated for a few years now. I'd love for us to be the ones to change that!

Melody, did the MRI show anything? I hope your foot is starting to feel and look somewhat normal. I know the surgery wasn't long ago, but I'm hoping you feel much better.

Hey, shoveling snow is good cardio. I have a huge driveway, and decided to work on that. Only thing is, you can't even tell I shoveled anymore! I think we already have a foot, not sure where we will end up.

Mousey, does Spirit have very small planes? I've been on a few planes where even our carry on luggage had to be put in the cargo area. We fly mostly Jet Blue, and just love them. A lot of people fly Southwest, but we haven't tried them yet. Their pricing always seems higher than most.

Margaret, that green shirt you thought was air made me think of Anita too, because it seems the soft autumn colors are a bit cooler. I have a few things in that color, but it doesn't do me any favors. Olive green, whether warm or cool, seems to be very big lately. That skirt is a great color. It reminds me a lot of a green that works very well for me. It is probably a bit more fire, I agree.

Melody, I'm very sorry about your friends. Last week, my ex-husband passed away. He has been sick for awhile, but that doesn't make it any easier for my daughters. He moved back and forth to Chicago over the years, so my girls were maybe not as close to him as many kids are to the dads. But they are still very much hurting and struggling.

You just have to take things day by day, and remember how short and precious life is.

This is definitely reminding me of the blizzard of 93, folks. We easily have a foot of snow, and it just keeps going. They were saying we could easily get another foot tomorrow. At this rate, we will be over 2 feet by the time it is done. I think we are making up for the entire winter.

Margaret, I hope you are safe at home.

I don't think anyone else in the midst of this? You don't want to be. ;p

They may close our big JC Penney store up at the mall. :-( That would be so sad. I was just on the website, and order a few things to try that were on sale or clearance, plus I got another 30% off. Nothing for work, unfortunately.

I am going to take a look at Chadwicks for suiting. I forgot to look there. You never know! They often have great suiting separates, but my timing isn't the best.