All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Bon voyage Melody! Safe travels! I'm sure the weather will be more enjoyable than what you are leaving! Our weather was a typical tropical mix, warm, wind, breeze, brief hard rain, soft rain, clouds and beautiful sunsets. Ever-changing and all of it pretty darn good.

Welcome Rosie! I heard a joke once about how two women who wear the same dress / outfit to a party will become fierce rivals but two men wearing the same outfit to a party will become best friends...that photo reminded of the joke but in opposite world...as we have been known to talk about in our family. Such fun...and situationally definitely something that lets you know you have found someone of like mind...if you can stand to be around yourself I guess. LOL!!! 

I found both of those suits pictured at Walmart. Right here in Florida. I see FL/NY for you? Where in FL? We just moved down to the Orlando area this past June...and the Walmart here in my area is stocked with more suits than any other one I have ever been in. Makes sense...but seriously they have a huge selection and while the majority aren't me...there is enough selection for there to be possible finds. Target is good here too...but Targets are way further apart here and there's not one on my beaten path any longer. And nowadays, you can buy the tops and bottoms separately.

I've also had good success with Athleta. They have bra sized swimwear which can be helpful in finding a good fit. They have great sales but their normal retail prices are a bit on the more pricy side. 

Figuring out the whole color situation can be challenging. When you do figure out what looks good...it can be hard to go against it. And things may not read the same in photographs as the read to your eye...so that makes it super exciting. LOL.

Here's a case in point. And something I wanted to share before we sailed but I didn't have time to share. I was figuring out my travel wardrobe for our 7-night cruise. I had decided that I would wear my new "formal" dress for both formals. I love it and it's fun and comfortable...and I wanted to wear dresses each night. I find that I really appreciate a dress on a cruise. There's something so very satisfying about just putting on ONE garment and feeling good and that you look nice. This was my first attempt at picking out dresses...which included a favorite red dress from Desigual in Barcelona on a previous cruise...

IMG-3899-JPG.jpg

I swear I thought the dress was Earth. And in person, it definitely reads less bright than it is photographing here, but that's the thing...I've never taken a picture of me wearing this dress that I like...and I haven't ever understood why. Whether it truly is or isn't NOT Earth, it doesn't photograph like Earth. Even my black and blue lace dress doesn't stand out as badly as that red:

60280877842-DF3-FDB81-544-B-44-F9-8-BE5-

I think because the periwinkle blue highlights in the navy color are more Earthy...and the black is a very dull black.

My final dress selection for the cruise looked like this...from left to right: formal dress, that Sante Fe Soft Surroundings wrap dress, a tank top and skirt (that one from Soft Surroundings that I watched for for about 2 years), a 3/4-sleeved boho dress, a patterned knit dress, and my new one from Kohl's...the burnt sleeveless.

60281014376-5-B9-FA76-D-CB8-E-4-CF7-89-C

We did coordinate DH's clothes with mine...and each night we figured out what we were wearing together based on what we were doing and how the weather was.

So my travel wardrobe was:

EVENING wear: 5 dresses, 1 evening tank, 1 evening skirt

ACTIVEwear: two full outfits, 1 zip up hoodie

SWIMwear: 3 suits, 2 cover ups, 1 rashguard

DAYwear: 2 tee shirts, 1 long-sleeved hoodie, 1 short, 1 skirt

SHOES: formal Vibram V-soul, EVA (waterproof) Birks, Birks, and Altra trainers 

I really need to work on reducing the toiletries. That was the BULK of the weight.

We also brought a lot of STUFF...including but not limited to...2 yoga mats, 4 yoga bricks, 1 rotating disc therapy thing, 2 work out book, 2 iPads, 1 coloring book, 1 set of coloring pencils, etc etc.

All in all I was pretty happy with everything we brought. I'm not sure how or if I would change anything really.

• Like 1

Anita and Laurie, I love your attitudes AND your suits! I wish I was easier on myself sometimes. Some days I look in the mirror and think--Oh, my Lord, what happened to that athletic toned body I used to have and other times I look in the mirror and think--for 62 it's not THAT bad, is it? It's funny, it's like I'm seeing 2 different bodies on different days😕

Thanks for sharing and reminding us that we should just be kinder to ourselves 💗

• Like 2

Today we walked off the grounds and up to Baskin Robbins for a treat... Progress! 👍😄   I wore one of my favorite shirts. It reminded me that I have a lot of non-earth in my wardrobe that does not spark joy. The earrings are the ones I got at Lake Manyara in Tanzania after I lost the only pair that I had brought. I'm letting my hair grow out a bit so I can do a heavy metals hair test, which I have to do every five years after testing high for mercury when I was in my 30's.

TurqOrange.JPG

• Like 3

First, welcome, Rosie!  We have a lot of fun here, chatting about cruises and family and color.  Lots of talk about color!!

Margaret, what a beautiful picture.  That shirt just brings out the best in your skin tone and eyes.  

I truly believe that when we wear our best colors, it brings out the best in us.  Anita, you are a soft earth, right?  Those look like really good dress choices for you.  

Thank you for the kind words.  I remember when I lost weight...I refused to say I was looking to lose xx pounds.  I wanted to be healthier and to take better care of myself.  I still feel that way.  But it is easy to focus on the wrong things.  I want to better with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Bon voyage Melody! Safe travels! I'm sure the weather will be more enjoyable than what you are leaving! Our weather was a typical tropical mix, warm, wind, breeze, brief hard rain, soft rain, clouds and beautiful sunsets. Ever-changing and all of it pretty darn good.

Welcome Rosie! I heard a joke once about how two women who wear the same dress / outfit to a party will become fierce rivals but two men wearing the same outfit to a party will become best friends...that photo reminded of the joke but in opposite world...as we have been known to talk about in our family. Such fun...and situationally definitely something that lets you know you have found someone of like mind...if you can stand to be around yourself I guess. LOL!!! 

I found both of those suits pictured at Walmart. Right here in Florida. I see FL/NY for you? Where in FL? We just moved down to the Orlando area this past June...and the Walmart here in my area is stocked with more suits than any other one I have ever been in. Makes sense...but seriously they have a huge selection and while the majority aren't me...there is enough selection for there to be possible finds. Target is good here too...but Targets are way further apart here and there's not one on my beaten path any longer. And nowadays, you can buy the tops and bottoms separately.

I've also had good success with Athleta. They have bra sized swimwear which can be helpful in finding a good fit. They have great sales but their normal retail prices are a bit on the more pricy side. 

Figuring out the whole color situation can be challenging. When you do figure out what looks good...it can be hard to go against it. And things may not read the same in photographs as the read to your eye...so that makes it super exciting. LOL.

Here's a case in point. And something I wanted to share before we sailed but I didn't have time to share. I was figuring out my travel wardrobe for our 7-night cruise. I had decided that I would wear my new "formal" dress for both formals. I love it and it's fun and comfortable...and I wanted to wear dresses each night. I find that I really appreciate a dress on a cruise. There's something so very satisfying about just putting on ONE garment and feeling good and that you look nice. This was my first attempt at picking out dresses...which included a favorite red dress from Desigual in Barcelona on a previous cruise...

IMG-3899-JPG.jpg

I swear I thought the dress was Earth. And in person, it definitely reads less bright than it is photographing here, but that's the thing...I've never taken a picture of me wearing this dress that I like...and I haven't ever understood why. Whether it truly is or isn't NOT Earth, it doesn't photograph like Earth. Even my black and blue lace dress doesn't stand out as badly as that red:

60280877842-DF3-FDB81-544-B-44-F9-8-BE5-

I think because the periwinkle blue highlights in the navy color are more Earthy...and the black is a very dull black.

My final dress selection for the cruise looked like this...from left to right: formal dress, that Sante Fe Soft Surroundings wrap dress, a tank top and skirt (that one from Soft Surroundings that I watched for for about 2 years), a 3/4-sleeved boho dress, a patterned knit dress, and my new one from Kohl's...the burnt sleeveless.

60281014376-5-B9-FA76-D-CB8-E-4-CF7-89-C

We did coordinate DH's clothes with mine...and each night we figured out what we were wearing together based on what we were doing and how the weather was.

So my travel wardrobe was:

EVENING wear: 5 dresses, 1 evening tank, 1 evening skirt

ACTIVEwear: two full outfits, 1 zip up hoodie

SWIMwear: 3 suits, 2 cover ups, 1 rashguard

DAYwear: 2 tee shirts, 1 long-sleeved hoodie, 1 short, 1 skirt

SHOES: formal Vibram V-soul, EVA (waterproof) Birks, Birks, and Altra trainers 

I really need to work on reducing the toiletries. That was the BULK of the weight.

We also brought a lot of STUFF...including but not limited to...2 yoga mats, 4 yoga bricks, 1 rotating disc therapy thing, 2 work out book, 2 iPads, 1 coloring book, 1 set of coloring pencils, etc etc.

All in all I was pretty happy with everything we brought. I'm not sure how or if I would change anything really.

Thank you for the welcome.  Melody and I have become fast friends and have great taste in clothes as evidenced by our matching outfits...totally the first time we ever met!  So much alike. 

How to figure my colors?  Any suggestions? I think jewel times look well on me but then again so does this turquoise....maybe it’s earth?  Reminds of the water color of our beaches on Anna Maria. I’ll post the photo below.  

On the subject, we’re on the Suncoast.  Bradenton area.  From LI, NY but now spend the hottest 4+ months in the Hudson Valley of NY.  Grateful for our eldest daughter who has a place for us to get out of the heat.  

My husband and I need to think about coordinating outfits more frequently while cruising.  He’s partial to Tommy Bahama and I love dresses and skorts.  Hmmm.  Have the first RCCL 3/28 so I’ve got some work ahead of me. 

Back to bathing suits....I need a girl day by myself to hit up Bealls, WM and Target etc and see what fits and is flattering. 

Ciao for now!   We’re in Destin/Okaloosa Island in the panhandle....first visit ever, definitely not our last.  

Rosie

3A7670E9-61F6-4015-BFA8-27A14324BB59.jpeg

• Like 2

Anita, I think this shirt is Earth but heading to the deep end. I love how I look in it. I would rather wear this every day than some of the other things I have that are not in my wheelhouse.

I am living in tees and shorts at home these days.  Most of my tees are "this will work for now" choices that are perfecty functional and not horrible color-wise, but not my best colors either. Wearing this today makes me want to Kondo again. 🙂 If I only have a handful of shirts after, I think I will be happier even though it's more repetitious. 

• Like 1

Well I love that shirt color Margaret. KonMari is the best. I think there is a great benefit to wearing things that make you feel good when you wear them. Doesn't matter if you wear it more often...better than having variety that doesn't feel good. I did the clean out again and it has been so nice. More room in my drawers and closet and pretty much everything I have as an option to wear is good. Let me tell you...I literally have one pair of shorts. But I like them!

Rosie...I went to Fort Walton Beach for the first time in October...SO beautiful. Lovely sand. Gorgeous water. I loved it. The whole color thing can be a struggle to sort but once you do...it can be so helpful. Comparing photos is really a better option than trying to just look at one. Kim recently took photos of her daughter with a bunch of different shirts in different colors and it became pretty clear what her coloring was. 

Sailing for the first time on Royal? Seriously. Use the APP to check in. If it is the same in other ports as in Port Canaveral, you will get through check in in a matter of minutes...like 10 minutes. When you use the app, your sea pass is generated on the app and you get a box with expedited arrival on the sea pass and you just go through the lines flagged for expedited arrival and it is a BREEZE. I was shocked at how many people still don't use the app to check in. It's not the same as web check in.

• Like 1

Welcome Rosie!  Safe travels Melody 🙏

The longer hair looks nice Margaret, and your eyes really pop in that photo (your skin/complexion looks really good too 🙂 ).

Welcome back Anita, thank you so much for your pictures.  ❤️ the rash guard!  I never thought about trying a too large swim top and altering.  I have one suit I don't totally despise 🙄that I can wear for slides and as a back-up and one that I purchased from the boutique store that sells bras that fit.  It's bikini bottom (that I never thought I would like but really do), swim bra (I could hear the angels sing when I found something that fit and supported 😉 ) and flowy tank type cover.  I'll try to be as brave as you and Laura and post pictures when I get a chance.

Laura, that rust/terra cotta color is amazing on you.  I think you look fit and fabulous, but we are definitely our own worst critic {{hugs}}.

Our Harmony cruise...

I booked Harmony because it was the Oasis class ship sailing out of the closest port to our new city of residence. Back in November 2018, when I knew we would be moving to Florida...I wanted to plan a cruise, just DH and I...something to look forward to during our first empty nest year...something that would "celebrate" the empty nest and take advantage of just being a couple again. I sailed Allure on the TA with Mom and Dad but DH hasn't sailed Oasis class. It's absolutely true that Oasis class suffers from a lack of ocean views from public indoor locations. It's a major negative on the ship design. I figured that living in Florida, the lack of interior ocean views would be less of an issue.

On the TA, with 9 sea days...I really got to know the Allure. I picked Harmony so that we could vacation on the SHIP. I didn't care so much about the itinerary...I was thinking about how we would "live" on the ship for the week...and Oasis class was perfect for the vacation that I had in mind. That is, a much more active vacation...the extensive fitness center, one of, if not the BEST, running/walking tracks, rock wall, Flowrider, etc etc I wanted a vacation that would do all it could to support a more healthy active lifestyle.

I picked the sailing I did because of the combination of a week that was priced below most other weeks and availability for the exact cabin that I wanted. I literally went looking at all the lower priced weeks to see which one had a Central Park balcony ending in 229/629 available. I like Central Park. I like the sheltered outdoor setting. At night, with the low lighting and the live music...it's a great atmosphere. It's also usually the least expensive balcony room...and with the 229/629 double wide balconies...that's what I wanted...a balcony with table and chairs AND two lounge chairs. This was our 11229 balcony on embarkation day:

60296870438-E27-C160-B-6-A96-4-CA0-8573-

Oasis class has so many dining venues...and Harmony in particular has Wonderland (which I don't think Oasis or Allure has). I seriously debated whether it was worth it to eat in any specialty restaurants when there were so many complementary restaurants on board. A sale price of $175 pp for the Ultimate Dining Package...I pulled the trigger on that, after figuring out that we didn't have to eat in that many specialty dining places to breakeven on that cost. My main concern with Harmony was that our vacation would be too scheduled...and I didn't want that. Because the recommendation is to book the shows in advance...and also have dining reservations...ugh...I didn't want to have to keep track of time and a schedule on this vacation.

At 3 months out, or so, we booked our show reservations. Again, I didn't want to overload our schedule. I really wanted to see Grease...that was a favorite movie of mine back in the day...so we booked that for embarkation night. It's recommended to book the aqua theater earlier in the cruise so that if it gets canceled due to weather conditions, then you still have an opportunity later in the cruise to see it...night 2 for aqua theater. The third day was also a sea day so we booked the ice rink show for that night. Days 4 and 5 were ports...and not knowing how our day would go, we didn't book any shows. In fact, we only booked the comedy club on our last night...late...so we had 3 days in the middle with no scheduled evening activity.

About one month before our sailing, DH started a new physical therapy called Muscle Activation Therapy, or MAT. It isn't like anything that you could imagine...and so all the "normal" exercise and activity that I thought we would be doing would be counterproductive to the MAT. Instead of all the physical activity, I decided that we should be treating this vacation as taking the time to do the things that we rarely, never, or struggling to make time to do. Hence, the packing of all the PT gear...but also, I packed my manicure supplies (didn't have time to do my nails before leaving), hair clippers (didn't have time to give DH a hair cut before leaving), and various other personal hobby like things (coloring book/pencils), etc. Relax and re-create were our themes, which sounds ridiculous to say...but we were going to be focused on treating ourselves. And not PUSHING...if that makes sense. I bought a couple's pass to the thermal suite, which has the steam room, dry sauna, and heated loungers.

Embarkation day was a busy one. With Debbie et al arriving the evening before...I spent a lot of that day doing final clean up and taking care of business to be able to leave for the week. We had our clothing all sorted and ready to be packed, but not packed yet. When everyone was headed to bed...DH and I packed everything but the hanging bag and our toiletries, so on embarkation morning, we still had a bit of packing to do. Debbie and her DH drove us to the port (AWESOME!!) and so when we arrived, after our busy morning, we still hadn't eaten anything nor had any coffee/lattes. With expedited arrival, we were on board in about 10 minutes...we headed straight to Starbucks and then up to aft Deck 7 (the "wings" on either side of the aqua theater and where the rock wall desks area) where there are comfy chairs in a relatively small space. We were the only people sitting there at 11:38 AM:

60295945314-7-CB3143-C-C6-C5-4881-A31-C-

With the UDP (dining), they make a courtesy reservation for you for embarkation night and then you need to make all your other dining reservations on board. I knew that we could make reservations at any specialty restaurant and so we headed to Central Park where I thought we would eat lunch at Jamie's and take care of our week's reservations. Walking past 150 Central though...a server was standing outside with the menu...and so it seemed logical to talk with him to make our reservations.

The head man there, Alex, helped us. I'll just say that our cruise wouldn't be the same without Alex's help. Our first night's reservation time was based on the Grease show time. 6:45 PM for dinner before an 8:30 PM show. It made sense to have every night be the same to us...less thinking...and so we scheduled dinner at 6:45 every night. The schedule was 150 Central, Wonderland, Jamie's, Chops, 150 Central, Jamie's, Chops. 

Off to Jamie's for lunch, except that the UDP wasn't covering lunch there on embarkation day. We could eat at Johnny Rockets or Sabor (Mexican). So back out to the Boardwalk to eat at Sabor. Sabor is a fully sheltered but otherwise "outdoor" restaurant on the Boardwalk area. Great atmosphere there...we were seated along the rail so we were close to the Boardwalk and people watching. I like people watching. People are funny. Watching so many people see the Boardwalk area for the first time was entertaining.

After lunch, the staterooms were ready...so we headed there...and DH promptly fell into a nap on the bed. I unpacked all the toiletries and other things in our carry on, then found our hanging bag outside...unpacked that...then decided that since the shade had started to creep onto the balcony...I would try to do a pedicure before muster. The balcony door had been open the whole time...the steel drum band pool side was clearly heard...so the atmosphere was very festive and yet vacation-y.

DH woke up on his own before muster. He went out and found the big bruiser suitcase...so we were happy to have all our luggage before leaving for muster. After muster, we high-tailed it back to the room to change into swimsuits and find a hot tub for sail away. We managed to find a near empty cantilevered hot tub Starboard side where we could see Jetty Park, the port and down to Cocoa Beach during sail away. By the time we were sailing away, the hot tub had filled with kids and others...and we decided to go back to get ready for dinner and deal with unpacking that last suitcase.

It was nice to have some time to get ready for dinner. I usually am very rushed to get ready for dinner so it was really nice to just be able to take my time...DH was ready much sooner than I and he just read his book. We even had time for a cocktail before dinner so we headed down to the Trellis Bar in Central Park. Dinner at 150 Central was amazing. The restaurant was about 2/3 empty so we had a nice quiet dinner in a cozy space in the BEST chairs...OMG so comfy. The BREAD there. OMG. Our appetizers were excellent but our dinner choices were disappointing. We eat had ordered the lamb wellington but our server ALSO brought out the lobster dish for us to share. THIS, after he ALSO brought out a third appetizer dish for us to share since we both ordered the scallops. The lamb was not good and the lobster was meh...so our server brought out a single portion of the tenderloin and OMG. I was somewhat frustrated that he was bringing out so much food, but at the same time...I was so glad because the entrees were sad...but that tenderloin was perfect. And fried cheesecake dessert? OMG.

The UDP enables you to, at specialty restaurants, "save" 40% off the cost of a bottle of wine priced under $100. (Then they add on the 18% service charge). We had ordered a bottle of wine with the plans to take it with us after dinner to Grease. Let me tell you...this was a good plan. We were able to refresh our drinks during the show...*thumbs up*.

After dinner, there was a photographer in Central Park. It was WINDY...so our photos were quite funny between the way that my dress was flying around and the way that BOTH of our hair was flying around. Like I mentioned, we coordinated our outfits with the idea of taking pictures...this is the one from embarkation night...this is the Soft Surroundings Santa Fe wrap dress and my Birks. I also altered this one...taking about 5 inches out of the back.

IMG-3918.jpg

Grease was so much fun. I loved it. Sometime in the week before the cruise, we watched Grease the movie again. Paying attention to the credits, I hadn't known that the movie was based on a musical. It was great fun to see how the musical differed from the movie and what they changed from the musical for the movie production.

They make a big deal about the Oasis class Broadway productions being Broadway productions, not a "cruise ship" version of a Broadway production...and I can tell you 100% that it's a TRUE Broadway production. On Allure, I saw Chicago. And when DH, DS, and I went to see a Broadway production in NY, we saw Chicago. It was the EXACT same show. I think RCCL is just really smart in choosing productions that are well suited to the cruise ship theater. It's kind of amazing to think about the fact that you are on a cruise ship watching what you are watching.

Grease was a great kick off to our cruise vacation. The show started at 8:30 and we got there just after 8:00. We found good seats...were seated next to a fun couple to talk to before the show...and had time to use the facilities before settling in. Having the bottle of wine was a nice touch. We didn't fill our "to go" glasses from the restaurant (they are the normal bar glasses...in the restaurant, red wine is served in these lovely larger than the bar glass glasses) so when we sat down, we could pour ourselves some wine...and then pick a spot during the production (1.5 hours long) for a refill. So it was 10:00 pm when the show ended.

We didn't see any reason to stay up more. It had been a full day and we were ready for sleep. We went to bed with NO ALARM. That's vacation.

• Like 2

More about Harmony...

Like the Mariner cruise, during the day, we didn't really care about the activities or entertainment offered on the ship. The one thing that we always used to do was music trivia...sometimes a movie trivia or other specific thing (Harry Potter) trivia...and while I enjoy that a lot...I'm concerned I will be sad and missing DS at trivia...so we avoided those on Mariner...and on Harmony. I must admit that a lot of times on a ship, if I do participate in some activity, I often find myself wondering why I'm doing it...even in the midst of the activity. It feels like a time filler kind of thing to do...without being productive...and usually the entertainment value isn't there...and so I feel like it was a time waster and something I did because I wasn't more prepared to do something that I would truly CHOOSE to do.

The exception to that is any dance related thing. But sadly, the dance instruction activity was usually around 3 PM and that didn't work for the flow of our day.

And that's why we packed so much STUFF...because we had things that we were wanting to do.

Toward that end...doing what I wanted to do...Harmony is EXCELLENT. And I can tell you that I am absolutely THRILLED to have the eastbound TA on Harmony booked for April 2021.

We fairly quickly established a routine. It went like this...

Breakfast. We ate around.

We ate Mini-bites (our only repeat breakfast venue): Made to order omelets and cute little fruit cups. Virtually empty. Outside dining. Johnny Rockets: service while seated outside in the shade in the sheltered Boardwalk area. Made to order eggs with country potatoes. It was good to be a couple...the families in front of the line were waiting when we walked up and the podium guy looked back asking if anyone was a couple because a table for 2 was ready. Score! Solarium Bistro: lovely to eat in the solarium. The fried eggs on the buffet were actually over medium. Great fruit selection. Park Cafe: ready made egg, and no-egg sandwiches on a variety of bread. Really good. Remade fruit cups...also good. Finally, the Windjammer: found the eggs benedict in the back but the the ham was being held in water to keep it warm and from drying out. Gross. So I went to the bagel layout and grabbed a slice of tomato and smoked salmon...removed that ham and scrapped off the sauce onto my "new" eggs benedict and was a happy eater. Fruit wasn't as nice because it was all on the rind but it was still tasty. I was able to find an Indian spiced potato/chickpea dish and that made me happy.

We enjoyed being able to think about WHERE we wanted to eat breakfast...and having so many options that we only repeated once. What was sad to me was that the Bistro had just a smaller set of offerings as the Windjammer. In the past, the offerings there were unique...and felt more toward the health conscious side...I was very disappointed that that was no longer the case, but the venue is still a favorite for ambience.

Starbucks. We like good coffee and that's hard to find on the ship. We have a BOGO with loyalty status for the Promenade Cafe and we tried that once but it wasn't good. We hit up Starbucks several days. There are two nice places to enjoy your morning drink...the previously mentioned Deck 7, especially if it's in the shade. You can flip the chairs to be able to see OUT and toward the wake rather than toward the aqua theater. The other is on Deck 5, where there are a whole line of chairs directly facing the wake. The track separates you from the view and you will have people walking in front of you. But the sound of the wake is incredible and it's usually shaded.

Two days we did our PT. The first day on our balcony. We stacked the lounge chairs and moved them out of the way to create a space wide enough for our two yoga mats. On a different day, we went into a side "room" off the running track on Deck 5. There are loungers and the adjustable chairs there. The sunny side was basically empty and so we made space there. It was difficult and I would have benefitted from having my sunglasses and/or a visor...but we made it work. The shady side was too crowded for us to feel comfortable moving around chairs to make floor space, but we could have, if we were willing to have the audience.

Every day but one, we went to the Thermal Suite. We had our little routine of what we do in there...and we very much enjoyed it. It was a blessing to get into the heat after doing the PT, after walking in the ports. We would spend the recommended 15 minutes in the dry sauna...take a cold shower (yes we did...OMG)...cool off a bit before hitting the steam room. Generally we couldn't stand the steam room for longer than 5-8 minutes. There was something about it that made breathing labored. One day the steam wasn't working so well...the heat kept pumping out but no steam...just the condensation everywhere and lingering wetness but no actual steam. We would lounge on the heated loungers for as long as was comfortable. Then we would go find a hot tub.

We hit the hot tubs EVERY day. After day one, the cantilevered hot tubs weren't appealing because of the kids. There were quite a few kids. We always went into the Solarium hot tubs. The Solarium on Harmony is nice. Currently the roof coverage is tiered with big gaps...so there can be a bit of a breeze and air circulation. If it is windy though, it is very loud because the plastic covering above moves with the wind. Several sections of plastic were destroyed because we had high winds on the first two days, high enough to shut down Deck 16. The hot tub on Deck 14 faces directly front and that's fun, but it wasn't very hot. We also went in both the other hot tubs on Deck 15 and found one to be much hotter than the other. A couple days, the attendance was very low...like we were the only ones in the hot tub for a while. Even with the busy days though, we were able to find room without feeling like we were in what Mom calls, People Soup.

The hot tubs on Deck 15 are shut down at around 6:00 pm for cleaning. The guy would come and give 10-15 minute warning. Beginning on Day 3, when we hit up the Deck 15 hot tubs, we took that as our cue to head back to the room to get ready for dinner. Yes, we were there every day thereafter for that warning. Worked perfectly with our 6:45 reservations.

On the first sea day, I knew that DH would enjoy a hair cut. I cut his hair and have for years. I think there was about a 1-2 year period where I didn't...and my hair cuts started when we were in college. He didn't know that I had packed the clippers...when I saw them in the drawer...I thought, making time to do what you want to do, and grabbed them. I knew he'd like a haircut and frankly, I'd like him to have a fresh cut for formal night and photos. Lately, we're just letting the curls go and I do a bald fade on the sides and back. It was tight quarters in the bathroom, but we made it work and because we've been more regular with the haircuts, the mess wasn't bad at all.

I also did my manicure. I wanted pretty nails for formal night. So we sat on our balcony...DH ran down to the pub, the only place on board with IPAs (India Pale Ale), and brought them back to the room. He read his book while I did my nails and people watched. The CP music started around 6 pm and we had that soundtrack while we got ready for dinner.

We ate at Wonderland and it was quite an experience. A lot of the food was good...a few bites were amazing...and a couple bites were awful. The restaurant was packed and so it was pretty loud. Our server was nice, but he was trying really hard...he was over the top in an almost, but not quite, annoying way...and I found the way he kept saying my name bothersome. It made what he did feel very like an act, a rehearsed thing with "insert name" here. Mom and Dad had an amazing time in Wonderland and went there twice...but we were happy with our single visit. I would recommend that everyone try it...whenever it works out to do so...but the $55 cover charge is steep...do it with a package of some sort, or a discount. I will want to eat there again on the TA, but once might be enough per cruise for me.

The weather was too rough for the aqua show, so it was canceled and rescheduled for Day 5. We had heard that while sitting on the balcony...that's one thing about the CP balconies...they are sheltered. I have no idea if the OV balconies were usable in the high winds we were experiencing, but our balcony was lovely. I admit that I had been thinking that the aqua show and formal night was a poor combination, so I wasn't disappointed.

DH wore DS's waistcoat from DS's suit. DS left it here and I found it in his closet and that seemed the perfect combination with my cocktail dress. DH had two different ensembles with that waistcoat...on this first formal night, he wore the most formal shirt and tie with the waistcoat. His tie matches my dress perfectly. We went in search of photographers in the promenade. I think we both prefer a nice setting rather than most of the backdrops. We liked this one on the stairs the best:

IMG-3919.jpg

I know that we did a bit of a wander about the ships on some evenings. Looking for stars, etc. We didn't spend any time in any bar on any evening...they were too loud to be enjoyable. I'm pretty sure that we were in our stateroom by 10 every night.

• Like 2

Lunches...

We could have eaten in Jamie's or Chops for lunch on Sea Days with UDP. That seemed like overkill to me...I mean, OMG, so much food. And also...I like to eat lunch with a view. Our lunches went like this...

Day 2: Sea Day...I remembered loving the Bistro for lunch. DH and I were both feeling salad-y...so we went there. It was okay. But not so great that we weren't interested in exploring other options. So...

Day 3: Sea Day...I knew that Park Cafe had a great salad bar...and protein to add to the salad (missing at the Bistro). So we got some famous roast beef and a salad...and took that up to our balcony to enjoy lunch. That was awesome. Highly enjoyable.

Day 4: St Maarten...the day was rainy and overcast...on our walk back to the ship we were talking about how what we would really like for lunch would be an Indian curry of some sort. Wouldn't that be the best? So we hit the buffet. We kind of sort of found what we were looking for...and managed to make a nice enough lunch...overlooking the sports deck and watching so many people play putt putt.

Day 5: San Juan...on our way back to the ship we were talking about how Mexican just sounded like the thing to do. I know it was Puerto Rico...but still...we were ready for a Margarita and some tacos...so we went back to Sabor, which had opened at 1 PM. And the guac sounded amazing too.

Day 6: Sea Day...our morning activity landed us in the buffet area finding a quiet table overlooking the ocean. Quiet? yes...we ended up on the side of the buffet that was currently shut down for the change over between breakfast and lunch. There were two other lingering tables and us...and all the workers scurrying around. DH read and I colored until we were hungry. We had spotted the make your own wok on our long walk around the back and so we did that...and it was excellent. One of the best lunches.

Day 7: CocoCay...we ate at the beach. And I'll talk more about that later...

I love Sea Days!! Especially on Oasis class...especially being prepared to relax and chill and maybe have some things we brought along that we wanted to do.

Tonight's dinner was in Jamie's. DH had already worn jeans, then dress slacks, so it was time for his comfy draw string linen pants and fisherman sandals (a break from socks and shoes) and the shirt that he ALWAYS wears on a cruise...and so I wore my coordinating outfit for his...my tank top and that Soft Surroundings skirt. The ice skating show didn't start until 9:00 PM so we had a lot of time after dinner and before the show. We headed to the Promenade to find the photographers...and we did sit and enjoy a Guinness or two at the Pub, because the music hadn't started yet...it was nice and quiet in the Pub...everyone was sitting "outside" on the Promenade...so we had a virtually empty Pub to enjoy each other and conversation...kind of amazing on a ship with 6000+ people. And the Guinness were those nitro cans so you really wanted to have them poured to enjoy.

This was our favorite from that night:

IMG-3920.jpg

I don't think my pose is perfect, but I would like to share one thing I read...because I actually read up on posing before the cruise! OMG...yes I did... So when you put your hand on your hip...be sure to point your elbow backwards...not out to the side...I think that helps to get your elbow away from the camera and ALSO to not have that shoulder "shrugged" up. When you point your elbow back, it's virtually impossible to have that shoulder be lifted up.

I'd like to point out another thing. I think I was watching America's Next Top Model? and Tyra said something about not having your shirt pulled down too far onto your hips...how that makes your legs look short. Now I know that I usually pull my shirts lower because I think I need my torso longer...but the current style is to have a high waist...I saw a LOT of younger women (not teens) with their shirts ending at their natural waist and tucked in. YES...they looked so short waisted...but somehow it was working.

Anyway, my tank is so bunched up because it is so long, but I was appreciating how that bunching was hiding some lumps and bumps underneath. My gathered waist skirt flared out a bit more than I thought flattering over the hips below the tight and wide elastic, but if I pulled the tank down too much onto the skirt, it seemed to emphasize that bump there on my hip...while if I left it right at the tight elastic gathering...my waist looked smaller with the darker fabric ending there. And THEN, with the hand on the hip for the pose...totally covered that squishy bump out at the hip!!

The ice skating show was good. I felt bad for the skaters though...there seemed to be more falling than I've seen in the past. I recalled how watching the ice show in the past can be so cringe-y...because it is such a small rink. In the past, it's just been waiting for the skaters to hit the sides...and sadly, there were at least two side crashes and about 3-4 falls. I really have to question whether or not I enjoy this show.

It was cold in the rink...we had brought along a fleece blanket (yoga prop) and I took that with me to the rink for warmth. I wasn't the only one with blanket either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

More about Harmony...

Like the Mariner cruise, during the day, we didn't really care about the activities or entertainment offered on the ship. The one thing that we always used to do was music trivia...sometimes a movie trivia or other specific thing (Harry Potter) trivia...and while I enjoy that a lot...I'm concerned I will be sad and missing DS at trivia...so we avoided those on Mariner...and on Harmony. I must admit that a lot of times on a ship, if I do participate in some activity, I often find myself wondering why I'm doing it...even in the midst of the activity. It feels like a time filler kind of thing to do...without being productive...and usually the entertainment value isn't there...and so I feel like it was a time waster and something I did because I wasn't more prepared to do something that I would truly CHOOSE to do.

The exception to that is any dance related thing. But sadly, the dance instruction activity was usually around 3 PM and that didn't work for the flow of our day.

And that's why we packed so much STUFF...because we had things that we were wanting to do.

Toward that end...doing what I wanted to do...Harmony is EXCELLENT. And I can tell you that I am absolutely THRILLED to have the eastbound TA on Harmony booked for April 2021.

We fairly quickly established a routine. It went like this...

Breakfast. We ate around.

We ate Mini-bites (our only repeat breakfast venue): Made to order omelets and cute little fruit cups. Virtually empty. Outside dining. Johnny Rockets: service while seated outside in the shade in the sheltered Boardwalk area. Made to order eggs with country potatoes. It was good to be a couple...the families in front of the line were waiting when we walked up and the podium guy looked back asking if anyone was a couple because a table for 2 was ready. Score! Solarium Bistro: lovely to eat in the solarium. The fried eggs on the buffet were actually over medium. Great fruit selection. Park Cafe: ready made egg, and no-egg sandwiches on a variety of bread. Really good. Remade fruit cups...also good. Finally, the Windjammer: found the eggs benedict in the back but the the ham was being held in water to keep it warm and from drying out. Gross. So I went to the bagel layout and grabbed a slice of tomato and smoked salmon...removed that ham and scrapped off the sauce onto my "new" eggs benedict and was a happy eater. Fruit wasn't as nice because it was all on the rind but it was still tasty. I was able to find an Indian spiced potato/chickpea dish and that made me happy.

We enjoyed being able to think about WHERE we wanted to eat breakfast...and having so many options that we only repeated once. What was sad to me was that the Bistro had just a smaller set of offerings as the Windjammer. In the past, the offerings there were unique...and felt more toward the health conscious side...I was very disappointed that that was no longer the case, but the venue is still a favorite for ambience.

Starbucks. We like good coffee and that's hard to find on the ship. We have a BOGO with loyalty status for the Promenade Cafe and we tried that once but it wasn't good. We hit up Starbucks several days. There are two nice places to enjoy your morning drink...the previously mentioned Deck 7, especially if it's in the shade. You can flip the chairs to be able to see OUT and toward the wake rather than toward the aqua theater. The other is on Deck 5, where there are a whole line of chairs directly facing the wake. The track separates you from the view and you will have people walking in front of you. But the sound of the wake is incredible and it's usually shaded.

Two days we did our PT. The first day on our balcony. We stacked the lounge chairs and moved them out of the way to create a space wide enough for our two yoga mats. On a different day, we went into a side "room" off the running track on Deck 5. There are loungers and the adjustable chairs there. The sunny side was basically empty and so we made space there. It was difficult and I would have benefitted from having my sunglasses and/or a visor...but we made it work. The shady side was too crowded for us to feel comfortable moving around chairs to make floor space, but we could have, if we were willing to have the audience.

Every day but one, we went to the Thermal Suite. We had our little routine of what we do in there...and we very much enjoyed it. It was a blessing to get into the heat after doing the PT, after walking in the ports. We would spend the recommended 15 minutes in the dry sauna...take a cold shower (yes we did...OMG)...cool off a bit before hitting the steam room. Generally we couldn't stand the steam room for longer than 5-8 minutes. There was something about it that made breathing labored. One day the steam wasn't working so well...the heat kept pumping out but no steam...just the condensation everywhere and lingering wetness but no actual steam. We would lounge on the heated loungers for as long as was comfortable. Then we would go find a hot tub.

We hit the hot tubs EVERY day. After day one, the cantilevered hot tubs weren't appealing because of the kids. There were quite a few kids. We always went into the Solarium hot tubs. The Solarium on Harmony is nice. Currently the roof coverage is tiered with big gaps...so there can be a bit of a breeze and air circulation. If it is windy though, it is very loud because the plastic covering above moves with the wind. Several sections of plastic were destroyed because we had high winds on the first two days, high enough to shut down Deck 16. The hot tub on Deck 14 faces directly front and that's fun, but it wasn't very hot. We also went in both the other hot tubs on Deck 15 and found one to be much hotter than the other. A couple days, the attendance was very low...like we were the only ones in the hot tub for a while. Even with the busy days though, we were able to find room without feeling like we were in what Mom calls, People Soup.

The hot tubs on Deck 15 are shut down at around 6:00 pm for cleaning. The guy would come and give 10-15 minute warning. Beginning on Day 3, when we hit up the Deck 15 hot tubs, we took that as our cue to head back to the room to get ready for dinner. Yes, we were there every day thereafter for that warning. Worked perfectly with our 6:45 reservations.

On the first sea day, I knew that DH would enjoy a hair cut. I cut his hair and have for years. I think there was about a 1-2 year period where I didn't...and my hair cuts started when we were in college. He didn't know that I had packed the clippers...when I saw them in the drawer...I thought, making time to do what you want to do, and grabbed them. I knew he'd like a haircut and frankly, I'd like him to have a fresh cut for formal night and photos. Lately, we're just letting the curls go and I do a bald fade on the sides and back. It was tight quarters in the bathroom, but we made it work and because we've been more regular with the haircuts, the mess wasn't bad at all.

I also did my manicure. I wanted pretty nails for formal night. So we sat on our balcony...DH ran down to the pub, the only place on board with IPAs (India Pale Ale), and brought them back to the room. He read his book while I did my nails and people watched. The CP music started around 6 pm and we had that soundtrack while we got ready for dinner.

We ate at Wonderland and it was quite an experience. A lot of the food was good...a few bites were amazing...and a couple bites were awful. The restaurant was packed and so it was pretty loud. Our server was nice, but he was trying really hard...he was over the top in an almost, but not quite, annoying way...and I found the way he kept saying my name bothersome. It made what he did feel very like an act, a rehearsed thing with "insert name" here. Mom and Dad had an amazing time in Wonderland and went there twice...but we were happy with our single visit. I would recommend that everyone try it...whenever it works out to do so...but the $55 cover charge is steep...do it with a package of some sort, or a discount. I will want to eat there again on the TA, but once might be enough per cruise for me.

The weather was too rough for the aqua show, so it was canceled and rescheduled for Day 5. We had heard that while sitting on the balcony...that's one thing about the CP balconies...they are sheltered. I have no idea if the OV balconies were usable in the high winds we were experiencing, but our balcony was lovely. I admit that I had been thinking that the aqua show and formal night was a poor combination, so I wasn't disappointed.

DH wore DS's waistcoat from DS's suit. DS left it here and I found it in his closet and that seemed the perfect combination with my cocktail dress. DH had two different ensembles with that waistcoat...on this first formal night, he wore the most formal shirt and tie with the waistcoat. His tie matches my dress perfectly. We went in search of photographers in the promenade. I think we both prefer a nice setting rather than most of the backdrops. We liked this one on the stairs the best:

IMG-3919.jpg

I know that we did a bit of a wander about the ships on some evenings. Looking for stars, etc. We didn't spend any time in any bar on any evening...they were too loud to be enjoyable. I'm pretty sure that we were in our stateroom by 10 every night.

Love the color coordination!

Once we’re home from vacay...I need to read this.  
I’ve already checked in to our RCCL with the app.  Celebrity has something very similar and our last 2 cruises (December/January) we checked in to board in minutes!

Here’s our attempt at coordinating colors 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄🤣🤷🏼‍♀️   Please let me know what you think of those colors for my skin tone.  

—Rosie—

73DE64E5-3048-4F1C-BB07-185A9A964AF8.jpeg

3C581C7C-ED85-47AF-B7F0-8F889CDE3404.jpeg

• Like 1

Margaret, great shirt, wonderful color. Anita, need to reread your Harmony post when I’m on board

ww made it safely to Ft Lauderdale  about an hour or so ago. So nice & warm here!  We left home this morning in a rush as our taxi cancelled on us & we had to drive to the airport & Park. Snow, ice & 4 degrees...that was not the plan. The rest of the trip was flawless & all of our luggage arrived without issue. Vegging by the pool now. We board on Friday morning. Melody

• Like 1

St Maarten...

We've been to St Maarten once before. We took the ferry over to the downtown area and then basically set up camp on the beach there. It was a nice day. On that day...we didn't explore the town at all. With CocoCay on our itinerary, paying for any beach day wasn't appealing...but I had read in someone's TR about visiting the Yoda Guy.

Nick Maley is a special effects make-up artist who was instrumental in bringing Yoda to life. He worked on 53 different films in his career and has now retired in St Maarten. Among other things he does...Maley uses his personal and donated memorabilia exhibit to help fund his foundation, Follow Your Star, which encourages and helps young artists follow their dreams. All "admissions" to the movie exhibit are written up as donations to the foundation.

I think DS was in middle school, maybe even the first year we moved out to Georgia...we had planned to take several weekend trips down to Orlando to use some non-expiring Disney admissions we had. Since we were planning several long weekends, I would look for something else to do to supplement the activity of the weekend...and so for one weekend we went to the special Star Wars traveling exhibit at the Orlando Science Center. On exhibit they had all the models that were used in the creation of the films as well as several other items of interest, including the floating Landspeeder (the vehicle from which Obi-Wan famously says, these are not the droids you are looking for. Anyway...I thought the exhibit would be interesting enough but it was FASCINATING...something we really, really enjoyed.

And there's something about having DS in our family...we have a higher interest in the behind the scenes of film making, etc. And a soft spot for helping youth pursue their artistic dreams...So our big plan for St Maarten was to walk into town and visit the Star Wars Movie Exhibit.

That's it.

We woke up when we did and headed up to Mini-bites. The weather was dark and ominous. As we ate, we watched the dark clouds coming closer and closer. We had heard there would be showers on and off today...and then suddenly, for real, in the blink of an eye, the chairs at the tables around us starting FLYING across the deck and our empty plastic fruit cups leapt into the air and we were scrambling to gather everything and get to a more sheltered spot. Funny enough, getting around the corner and we were suddenly out of the wind tunnel. We were the only ones caught...there was another party around but they had chosen to sit right next to the food...so they were fine. The rain was unleashed and the crews hurried to stack the chairs and otherwise correct the chaos as the tropical storm continued.

We figured lattes were in order...wait out this bout of rain...

Later...we were just about to leave the port area and hit the walk to downtown when the first drops of rain were hitting again. We took shelter in a nearby restroom...fortunately, I wasn't in need, having taken care of business at the ship...the men's line was non-existent (typical) and the ladies was wrapped around the building. I was able to squeeze into the middle space in the small building and we were able to avoid getting soaked.

Then off we went.

The walk isn't bad...but it isn't awesome. There's not a nice sidewalk all the way into town...but it's walkable for sure...you weave in and out of nice sidewalk, crossing driveways...a bit of gravel areas. Warning...puddles will form and you will be close to the road and you could have a movie moment where a car drives right through the big puddle right next to wear you are walking on your way to the movie exhibit. Wear appropriate shoes.

I was wearing my trusty Altra trail runners. I need new ones, these are getting so worn, but I love them. They dry quickly. Thank Goodness. I was also wearing a concert tee, a unique to the concert-tee world WINE color with a skirt. The skirt is Padma brand and I love it. I've had it for a while now and it's faded a bit. The elastic in the band has a tendency to roll around in the wash that makes me nuts...I mean to fix that one of these days...

Here I am at the exhibit building:

RIMG4165.jpg

With the weather...I'm sporting my "beach hair" which is the two braid look in my avatar. My straw visor and my bright blue sunglasses...

Along the way to the exhibit...we did pop into a gallery with some amazing art. I think my favorite souvenirs are paintings or prints...artwork. I admired the artwork in the gallery but I'm not prepared to spend hundreds on artwork at this time...but she had "Irma survivors". We talked with her for a bit...her other gallery location was completely lost, except for a very few little 11x14 framed prints...the frame being that mat board around an 8x10 piece of artwork. The art was a red tree with "leaves" of hearts. It was very appropriate for a Valentine's cruise and at 50% off (For being an Irma survivor...$15) it was right there in my preferred budget.

Next door...or a few down...was a not too tacky touristy type shop with coverups and things that are the "one size". The one on display caught my eye and we started talking to the proprietor. She had moved here 30 years ago from India and most things in her store were sourced from India. The colors were just too good for this Earth girl to pass up and I finally found a replacement for my bleed all over the place gauze dress cover up...check it out:

IMG-3935.jpg

In the embroidered borders are random deep periwinkle/blue sequin...but they are falling off and barely sewed on. They used a single strand of thread to sew sequin at one inch or larger intervals so the exposed thread underneath was snagged and some sequin is literally hanging by a thread on the dress. It needs some TLC but at $15...I'm totally up for doing that.

We spent at least two hours in the exhibit...much more if you include the time we spent in the shop and talking to and eavesdropping on Nick Maley.

In typical museum fashion...you have to read a lot. For instance, he had the first page of the first draft of the Star Wars screenplay framed. It wasn't called Star Wars. His name wasn't Skywalker. It wasn't Tattooine. They weren't Jedi. They weren't Sith. OMG...NUTS to read what the opening words were first scripted to be. Then we saw the second draft dated 6 months later. Then the third draft dated 6 months after all. There was an accompanying written commentary next to the drafts that helped in understanding because, hello, never had heard of these names before...

I was fascinated to learn about life masks...formerly known as death masks, because they could only be made of dead people because back in the day the methodology and technology to make them would have killed you if you weren't dead already. They are exact casts of peoples heads. They are used by special effects make up artists to create perfectly fitting prosthetics etc...and to be able to create "models" of film characters. I saw George Washington's death mask! In additional to other historical figures! And so many different modern day actors and actresses.

I loved this quote...the photo includes the life mask of David Bowie:

RIMG4169.jpg

There are short films with some of the exhibits...we looked and read everything. People breezed right on through...

The exhibit is "hidden" around the perimeter of the store but goes further into the depths of the store than is apparent. We could hear all the goings on in the store. Nick Maley works here at his own store and exhibit so if he is not on a speaking engagement or otherwise engaged, he is working here. A lot of the conversations were great fun to hear...Maley is quite inspirational...

Some of the conversations are really frustrating to hear...families arguing. And even the people who came through the exhibit...it's awful when someone does something they weren't really interested in doing and then let's EVERYONE around them know how unhappy they are. I'm thinking to myself...Do. Or do not. Don't DO and wish you weren't and share your misery with the world. 

But by and large the people in here are pretty enthusiastic to be here...even if they are rushed.

We weren't rushed.

There's a bathroom in the exhibit area...FYI.

We bought a warrior yoda print and Nick Maley personalized it for DH...we got to talk with him for a bit and then we got a photo:

RIMG4170.jpg

One conversation I overheard was someone asking Maley what he thought about the latest Star Wars movie and how it all ended...that was interesting to hear. If you have any interest in Star Wars, or even movie production...I highly recommend coming here, see the exhibit and talk to Maley yourself.

Yes...that's an actual puppet Yoda. And you can see Han Solo in carbonite!!!

We were hungry and not really interested in anything else downtown...so we headed back to the ship...and had lunch at the Windjammer.

This was the only day we did not go to the Thermal Suite...we headed straight into the hot tubs. 

And I'm pretty sure this is the day that I figured out what became our go to thing to do with regards to the beer that we really liked on board...because we're kind of picky about drinking craft brew...and so we're sitting in the hot tub and all these people around us are drinking. Drinking A LOT. Like I have a beverage package and I'm DRINKING drinking.

A brew did sound good...but the only brew we wanted was down in the Pub.

What to do?

So I left DH in the hot tub, went to the room and grabbed that removable stainless steel ice bucket looking thing out of the bathroom cabinet and took that down to the Pub where I ordered 4 brews...2 in the bucket with ice please...and 2 on top to have now. And I took my bucket back up to the hot tub...where we enjoyed our brews. And people were like...Whhhhaaaaaaat? LOL.

Because you can't get more than one drink at a time if you are on the drink package.

That's my tip for any other craft brew drinkers out there...who don't have a beverage package. LOL.

Sunset was beautiful...We were able to watch the sunset every evening from the hot tub...and usually were there for sail away too.

This night was Caribbean Night. Buy a shirt in port if you don't have one! the CD said. But that was the shirt that DH wore the night BEFORE...but he had another that would work for the theme. So I wore my dress that was the "match" to his shirt. This is a recent Kohl's purchase. It's hard to see, but I'm wearing a scarf Debbie gave me as a headband. I couldn't be bothered to do much with my hair this night...so I took my wet braids and wrapped them at the base of my head and pinned them in place and added the scarf. DONE.

I still wasn't sure what would happen if we brought one of our bring onboard wine bottles into dinner...and not wanting to risk a corkage fee...we just brought a glass down. We took pictures on the way to dinner...

IMG-3921.jpg

I like how casual and easy the photo is with wine in our hands. We had dinner at Jamie's...which was nice. We had a window table that was relatively isolated. We could hear the Central Part music playing a bit. I was a little disappointed in my entree...but it wasn't BAD.

We had a bit of a wander around the ship...I don't recall exactly but we did explore how things were in the evenings. The running track is BRIGHT...so while the sound of the wake at night and the lights on the wake is lovely...the brightness in the track is distracting. The Solarium is romantic and pretty...you can see some stars on the "wings" outside...but you have to battle the wind!

I know we also enjoyed the balcony in the evenings...and having the bring on board wine is nice for that too...so not sure exactly what we did after dinner. We didn't have a show...and frankly, didn't really want to see if we could get into one...it was another earlier rather than later to bed night...again...NO ALARM. Woot woot.

• Like 2

Weather is beautiful here today Melody...hope it is down there too!

Rosie...the green shirt if very nice on you. Not sure about the pink one. When I mentioned comparing photos...I'm talking about having a photo session. What Kim did was very effective. Her DD stood in front of a plain white (maybe ivory) background (might have been a shower curtain LOL) and took several pictures with different colored shirts draped over her DD. She was trying to decide between Air and Fire I think...anyway...I think she took about 12 photos...like Air pink versus Fire coral. Might be a better thing to attempt when you have gathered up some various colored things and can take a photo session. It's not an easy thing to figure out. For the set that Kim took of her DD, out of the 12 about half were Air colors and half Fire. And there were about 2 photos that told the story...and based on those it was pretty clear...so it's almost a hit and miss thing. You can to have a bit of material to work with to try to figure it out.

Once you do...you can see it. It's hard though. But I would say that whatever that green shirt is would definitely be something to test. Wearing sunglasses is distracting though for really looking at the other shirts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Weather is beautiful here today Melody...hope it is down there too!

Rosie...the green shirt if very nice on you. Not sure about the pink one. When I mentioned comparing photos...I'm talking about having a photo session. What Kim did was very effective. Her DD stood in front of a plain white (maybe ivory) background (might have been a shower curtain LOL) and took several pictures with different colored shirts draped over her DD. She was trying to decide between Air and Fire I think...anyway...I think she took about 12 photos...like Air pink versus Fire coral. Might be a better thing to attempt when you have gathered up some various colored things and can take a photo session. It's not an easy thing to figure out. For the set that Kim took of her DD, out of the 12 about half were Air colors and half Fire. And there were about 2 photos that told the story...and based on those it was pretty clear...so it's almost a hit and miss thing. You can to have a bit of material to work with to try to figure it out.

Once you do...you can see it. It's hard though. But I would say that whatever that green shirt is would definitely be something to test. Wearing sunglasses is distracting though for really looking at the other shirts.

Got it!

I agree with the light coral top, washed me out.  I’m starting to pay attention now to my colors and I’m beginning to understand deep jewel tones like the one I’m wearing now.  Pastels , not so much. Blues, purples, yellow, certain green, chocolate brown but not tan.  Black always.  
I’m having fun with this.  May need to sort thru my wardrobe and that light coral top is definitely going into the “bumming around the house” pile. 
xo.  R

8DFCEFCF-9981-49D3-B459-946FE38CD1DD.jpeg

• Like 1

Anita, I'm really enjoying the read and your photos are GREAT! The coverup is a fantastic EARTH find!

Yep, DD's photos were in front of an ivory shower curtain :) The lighting wasn't fantastic but, I think it was ok enough to do the job. I also think taking the photos in front of a neutral'ish background is helpful. Knowing your natural hair color is helpful as well as a close-up of your eye and no makeup on.

• Like 1

Anita, I'm so happy that your goal of getting some nice pictures of the two of you was a success. Both of your posed photos turned out very nice. It was also nice to see the blue detail in your black dress that didn't read as well in your earlier dress lineup pics.

Good score on the sundress... what lovely colors!

Hint for Rosie (because you said you are new to Cruise Critic): when you quote a post, you can then edit the quote to just the part you are commenting on, before adding on what you want to say:

1 hour ago, Joby said:

Knowing your natural hair color is helpful as well as a close-up of your eye and no makeup on.

I haven't had natural hair color in years, lol, but it really helps to look at photos from when you were a child, unless they are faded from age like mine. My hair used to lighten in summer from the sun so for me there was a lot of variation in the course of a year.

• Like 1

Margaret...I was really happy to get some updated photos of DH and I. I have prints from two different cruises...and the latest ones were from...hmmm...I think DS was a Freshman? So 4 years ago? I'm in total agreement about the blue on my dress. That bright light in the Promenade really brought out the sparkle.

Thanks Kim!

And yes...the cover up sundress is quite a find!! I've learned enough to jump on something like that. Because not only is it a great Earth find...I think it's SOFT Autumn!! Score!!

Rosie...I'd be interested to see the green shirt of the one picture photographed with that blue shirt you just posted. Just those two on a neutral background...say the balcony floor of your accommodation. I don't think they are the same color family. And in the photos posted here the green is much more flattering than the blue. It's difficult to say if the result is from the lighting of the photos or from the color shirt you are wearing, but in the green, my eye goes straight to your face...in the blue, my eye goes to the blue shirt. You are overwhelmed by the brightness of that blue but I don't know if that is because of the shadow on your face. In the green, you are shining bright and that is an absolutely lovely color on you.

Rosie.jpg

I find that when I am wearing "my colors" there is rarely a time when the lighting affects my pictures poorly. I may be shadowed but still I, ME, and the focus of the photo and my FACE is what you see more than anything else...when I am in my colors.

Now I understand how you may think that both of these are jewel tones, but IMO, based on these photos alone, the blue is a clear color (Ice or Fire) and the Green is muted (Earth or Air). See the way that blue will not blend into the natural colors of the background? It's more clear than the sand colors and the fuzzy green. But the green shirt isn't fighting the background in the same way...it is more harmonious with the muted background. It's a hard concept to grasp and that why I think seeing a photo of these two shirts alone and next to each other...we'll see how they look...and confirm or deny the hypothesis based on these two photos.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ellesor826 said:

Got it!

I agree with the light coral top, washed me out.  I’m starting to pay attention now to my colors and I’m beginning to understand deep jewel tones like the one I’m wearing now.  Pastels , not so much. Blues, purples, yellow, certain green, chocolate brown but not tan.  Black always.  
I’m having fun with this.  May need to sort thru my wardrobe and that light coral top is definitely going into the “bumming around the house” pile. 
xo.  R

8DFCEFCF-9981-49D3-B459-946FE38CD1DD.jpeg

Rosie, you & I have very similar coloring (aren’t you just shocked 😂😂😂). Definitely the cobalt blue, a turquoise, the black. Air/Fire. The tans, light pastels, nope. Great picture!  Melody

Edited by awhfy

Anita , I love the first two casual pictures especially the one with the green tank . That picture is you ! I am enjoying the cruise re cap .

Rosie , I live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton and you look very familiar . I 'm sure we have passed somewhere.

Well after several months and lots of antibiotics I am having my final treatment tomorrow . I am so happy to finally get a day to sleep in and just chill. Gary & I celebrated tonight .

Edited by Sailor_Sally
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Rosie , I live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton and you look very familiar . I 'm sure we have passed somewhere.

@sailor_sally 

That’s so interesting 🤔.  If you post a photo maybe I will recognize you too 🤗

I’m supposing you’re live near exit 213-UTC.  I live near exit 224-Ellenton Outlets.  

I know areas by stores or restaurants.  
Are you a “transplant” or native Floridian??
-Rosie

Anita, I love hearing about your cruise.  I was going on two a year for about 3 years in a row, and I really miss that.  I can really, really disconnect from work and relax and have a good time.  I love other trips too, but I think with one cruise a year, I want to go back to a 7 day cruise starting next year.  Sometimes, it has to do with what ships/itineraries are available when I want to cruise.  

It sounds like you enjoyed Harmony!  I noticed you've mentioned coffee a few times.  Did you get the coffee card?  I have on a few occasions.  When a cruise is more port intensive or shorter, I'm not as inclined but I could clearly see where I was saving money so it was worth it.  

I don't get the drink package.  We drink, but not enough to warrant $50-$60 each per day.  Not close, really.   We love craft brews too, but onboard, they can be hard to find depending on the ship and itinerary.  My go to "mainstream" beer is Blue Moon.  When we travel, we always ask the bartenders about what local beers they carry so we can try them.  In Bonaire, we were able to find an actual brewery that was really good.

Rosie, aren't colors interesting?  I was doing a lot of thinking about that over the past week or so.  I am sad that the last time I checked, Chadwicks was still offline because their boyfriend sweater look really nice for work.  They have a smart look to them.  I'm telling ya, if this store comes back and has those sweaters again, I will order every earth color they have.  They truly do look and wash great.  

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I splurged and purchased three scarves at Coldwater Creek.  One was a clearance item with an additional percentage off, and the other two were ones that Margaret had posted links to.  I'm excited because I seldom see earthy scarves that are options for spring or summer.  Here are the links:

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/jewelry-and-accessories/scarves%2C-ponchos-and-wraps/natural-beauty-linen-scarf/18737.html?dwvar_18737_color=0919&cgid=scarves-ruanas-ponchos#start=8&cgid=scarves-ruanas-ponchos

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/jewelry-and-accessories/scarves%2C-ponchos-and-wraps/distant-mesa-100%-cotton-scarf/18895.html?dwvar_18895_color=1952&cgid=scarves-ruanas-ponchos#start=9&cgid=scarves-ruanas-ponchos

I can't find the link for the clearance scarf.  It must be sold out.  It is a bit iffy, but there were some definite earth colors with navy, and seeing that I use navy pants as a back up, I think it will fit in with my wardrobe well.  

Isn't it funny how people can wear black constantly, and no one really thinks about it?  Wear brown pants three times in one week, and people will be wondering about that.  So I love having navy pants to wear.  I go with the navy that is a bit brighter looking.  It pairs really well with colors like caramel or burnt orange or gold.  I found a mid tone pair of olive pants too, but I'd really like a pair of dark olive.