All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, I was looking at some of those same items in the Chadwicks catalog myself. I really love the first dress. I can't tell from the picture if it will just hang loose, or if it will hang more like my snake print dress does. I can look frumpy if I'm not careful. But I have been looking at that dress again and again.

The caspian color on the cropped pants reminds me of a light version of teal. I really like that color.

The linen print dress is very pretty also! Overall, I would say that Chadwicks has a lot of things that have been getting my attention lately.

I was just going through my paperwork for my cruise, since my final docs are now ready. (yay!) I found out that we were given a coupon for a free specialty dinner. We already booked our date night, as I refer to it. Sounds like we'll have two date nights then!

We had a bridal shower this morning to go to. It was referred to as brunch with the bride. I really liked the brunch format, it was really nice. It has been a while since I've gone to a wedding shower. I wore a brown dress that I have, with my bronze sandals. Here is an older picture of it:

IMG_3415_zpssyddifbq.jpg

My daughter wore a pretty fit and flare dress that was aqua with white polka dots. Her sandals were flat, but dressy. There were lots of dresses, many which were casual but very appropriate. Then there were outfits I would call smart casual - maybe ankle pants with a dressy shirt and sandals, or nicer casual pants with sweaters and scarves. And then there were jeans.

It's cool here today, so I had a cardigan sweater on with my dress.

It was a lot of fun. The wedding is July 1st, a Friday evening. I love having events to look forward to.

Anita, I'm not sure what restaurants you went to on Allure. We had chosen Giovanni's Table for our date night, but now that we have a second opportunity, I was thinking about where to go. Do you have any suggestions?

Drink packages are on sale right now, so it is very tempting. However, I'm doing some debating. Normally, I would go with the premium package because I like wine, beer and some mixed drinks. I don't drink "top shelf" so the ultimate package wouldn't be worth it. I did find on my last cruise that I liked the coffee at Cafe Lattetudes. For whatever reason, the ultimate package includes premium coffee, but the premium package does not.

Allure has Starbucks, which isn't my favorite here on land. I'm not sure if it is any better at sea. They aren't even offering the ultimate package at the moment. I am thinking though that I'm going to be better off with the premium package. I usually opt for one coffee first thing in the morning and the price difference between the packages wouldn't be worth it.

I usually bypass the packages but with the higher drink prices and the fact that the package is 20% off, I think it may be a good idea. For one thing, I won't have to monitor my bar tab all the time. If it is pre-paid, it's done for and not a thought. It would not be worth it at all for my husband. Maybe the wine and beer package, if it is on sale for a good price. I'll have to check it.

Ooh, final documents! I love when documents come, it makes it so real.

We have a wedding on Memorial Day weekend. It is going to be outdoors in the woods near a lake, with dinner, dancing, and a bonfire. I have no idea what to wear. I think I will have to start with shoes and work my way up. Memorial Day is always colder and rainier than expected, so I'm in a quandary.

My birthday is coming soon, and I was hoping for a SUP, but not right now, I think. So, I'm shopping for rash guards for my birthday. I'd like to get two, but I can't make up my mind. Here are the contenders.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/body-glove-womens-performance-loose-fit-short-sleeve-surf-shirt-8116675/?color=43736

This one in Plum Bali:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/carve-designs-womens-cruz-rashguard-8128109/?color=48811

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112068?feat=rash%20guard-SR0&page=women-s-nrs-hydroskin-5-mm-shirt-short-sleeve

This one with the coral (not the white):

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-aquasport-zip-front-rash-guard/id_296090?sku_0=::QH4

Macaw Blue or Jazzy Purple?:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=97464&vid=1&pid=439088032

I know my DH would like this one:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=97464&vid=1&pid=213459002

I really prefer elbow length sleeves, but I can always have the long ones altered.

We had a pile of DH's cousins over for Passover last night. I'm exhausted and can't seem to get myself out of the house today. I think the brisket was the last straw. :)

Leftovers! Yum!

Margaret, Just a really quick fly-by. I bought the Athleta rash guard in Jazzy Purple. It's pretty bright! I was going to recommend the color to the FIRE ladies. I don't remember if you're on the brighter end of the EARTH spectrum, but I thought I'd just venture a quick FYI. And, also, I love the styling of that rash guard. I've got two of them in my suitcase for Europe. The Jazzy Purple... and a Coral Sunset one (which, I admit, could be a bit brighter!)....

Pam, thanks for the heads-up on the purple. I am definitely on the deep end of the EARTH spectrum so a jewel tone is better for me than a bright. I might get the two blues and see which one might work... I can cheat with blue more than any other color, it seems.

I'm thinking about Anita's recent pattern shopping comments... remembering how many times I see something in a store that I like, only to realize I have something like it at home... remembering how my idea book for our house renovation tended toward certain themes. I think we like what we like, and if we are observant we can see the patterns.

I really like those teal colored crop pants from Chadwick's . I just bought a striped tunic from Jjill that would go perfect with them . I also bought a JJill maxi skirt and white top that I really hope I like . JJill has some really pretty maxi dresses this season . Just what I need another Maxi dress . I have a bunch but I love JJill .

I really like jjill too but it's a hike for me to get there. I'm hoping that one day when I'm at my goal weight (which is getting farther away, not closer!) I'll be more likely to shop there and invest in more long-term type clothes.

That light dusty teal color is SO pretty, and the pants have a simple waist which I love.

It appears that the current top two travel destinations on our list -- Africa and Norway -- are going to be 14 days, so we've pushed them back to at least 2018. :( Aside from going to Seattle for Christmas this year, we don't have any more travel plans on the books for 2016 given our current situation. If the job situation improves we are thinking of taking a California Coastal before heading to Seattle. They are so cheap if you wait long enough, and we can do NY-LA, LA-SEA, SEA-NY for the same money as the NY-SEA non-stop.

Next year we know we are going somewhere in August for the total eclipse. The best place is Idaho because of the clear skies and light rainfall averages for August. But, I really don't want going to Idaho to be our only trip for the year (no offense to that lovely state). We're tossing around some ideas, perhaps a week in England or Italy, maybe another Windstar cruise for spring break if the timing works out. Any ideas?

Edited by MJC

We have JJill at the mall but I admit I've never gone in. The main reason is that our all is so big, if you have certain stores to go to, it takes forever. I always tell my daughter that I want to try and make it into one store whenever I happen to be at the mall, that I haven't been to before. That will be my next stop. It was Black House White Market that I went to for the first time on my last mall visit.

I spent some time this morning trying on dresses and I actually have my dinner dresses picked out. I did something fun. I put out four dresses for formal night and I asked my husband d for his two favorites. Then I did the same with each of my daughters. I already had a good idea of what I wanted to bring after trying them on. I also did this with date night dresses and casual nights. When asking them, they were each by the themselves without the others present. I would say that 5 out 7 nights we all picked the same. I thought that was so interesting!

Anita, did you try Samba on your cruise on Allure? Is my new gold and sequin dress too much for the venue?

I'll have to take a picture of the dress line up.

Margaret, that is a good question. Are you looking at 7 days time for a vacation then?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

By the way, I was looking to confirm your time range as I know travel time can really cut into a trip.my travel experience is limited though. Everyone should go to the Grand Canyon once, it you've never been!

Laurie, your dress voting system sounds like it was a lot of fun!

We try not to travel during the summer so we can enjoy our time at the lake. So, we have 7-10 days during March or 7-10 days in early September when we could take a trip. In December we always end up traveling somewhere to spend Christmas with family. Those early December cruise prices are very tempting, though. We're considering the CA coastal not necessarily for the itinerary but because it's on a sister ship of the Emerald Princess, which we really loved.

Early December for a cruise is usually a good time. The pricing is great.

One of the reasons we are cruising next year in early September is the pricing. Our anniversary is the end of July but when school is our for the summer, the prices are really high. We saved a lot baby waiting an extra 5-6 weeks.

I have no idea if this picture will post or not, as Photobucket is having all sorts of issues. I couldn't even check to see if I was posting the correct picture or not. I hope they get their issues sorted soon.

This is the dress line up. My concern is that my new short sequined dress might be too much for Samba, which is where I was thinking of wearing it to. This is my first time on Allure, so I'm not familiar with Samba. Online, it looks like a beautiful restaurant for a date night.

IMG_39061_zpsonm1nc4n.jpg

What do you all think of the choices? The one at the very end and the snake print dress are for the first and last nights. Those are always my most casual nights. The purple dress is like a taffeta, and kind of fitted. It used to be very tight, so with losing weight, I ended up taking it in a bit. I think it looks much better on, even if I do have a ways to go.

Edited by laurspag

Laurie, I'm sure that Anita will chime in here with her impressions of Samba. If I'm thinking correctly, that is the Mexican restaurant in the Boardwalk area? It's a very family-friendly, nice environment restaurant, but it's not at all dressy. Except that I have to temper my impressions with the memory that we were there very early and the restaurant wasn't very well attended, at the time. Think of a typical Mexican restaurant like Chevy's or On the Border. One where you might get some embarrassment by wearing a sombrero when they sing "happy birthday" to you (if it's your birthday and people tell the waiter or it's NOT your birthday but people tell the waiter that it is).

Oops. Not quite what I had in mind, lol. Don't get me wrong, we love a fun and relaxing atmosphere. It just isn't what I had planned for that night. We have considered 150 Central Park but I was concerned as my husband can be a little fussy when it comes to food.

Samba is the restaurant that is in the Solarium. During the day, it is self service cafe/buffet type place, but for dinner hours, it is specialty dining. The setting is lovely. There are two patio areas that are somewhat separate from the general solarium area. There is a kind of decorative river and huge lanterns and a lush kind of exotic outdoor setting that I imagine would be beautiful by candle light and the lanterns.

Inside, there are floor to ceiling glass overlooking the solarium pool and the outdoor patios on either side of the indoor area. During the day, it's very cafe style, but again, with linens and romantic lighting at night.

We didn't eat there. And I never really saw the restaurant all fully decked out in the evening, but the changing nature of the setting, it could be beautiful and romantic and lovely...but I'm honestly not sure about how fancy you might want to dress because of the fact that it is the solarium restaurant. If you can separate yourself from the possibility of looking out at people in the solarium using the pool and/or possibly hanging out in swim suits and/or similar casual clothing...and can mentally separate your experience in proximity to that, then I say go for it because I do think they have created a very romantic and lovely atmosphere there.

I would have no reservations in saying that you could wear your more fancy dress to any of the Central Park restaurants, but as always, it is a cruise ship and you are likely to run into others in swimsuits etc everywhere.

It is interesting how different all the dresses are. I guess I do like a variety of styles. One thing that stood out to me when trying these all on and putting them side by side was how much I liked all of them. They fit well and I feel very comfortable in all of them. I think that the long golden dress is the kind of dress that makes you say "I hope I've been working out enough", lol! But I do feel good in it.

I don't know if I posted it here or not, but there was a 20% off sale on the drink packages. Generally, it doesn't pay for me to purchase a drink package. However, when I did the math using the prices from my last cruise, it was about even. I got to thinking it would be nice to not have to watch the bill, or be concerned with how much I was spending, you know? On top of that, I understand that the drink prices are a bit more on the Quantum class, so I may even end up ahead.

My husband enjoys a beer or glass of wine, maybe a soda. It doesn't pay for him at all to get the drink package.

I'm determined to try that triple coconut mojito this cruise. I also had a wonderful martini a few cruises ago, and I want to try that again.

I scotch guarded the luggage tonight too! I guess I'm just that ready. 37 days! It has really gone by fast. I was thinking to myself that the past few years, I have gone on vacation twice a year. After this cruise in June, I won't be on vacation again until September 2017. That is going to seem like an eternity. I am thankful though. I know that not everyone is able to these things, and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Well, I'm still thinking about whether to switch out that dress! Now, I could wear the purple dress to Sabor, possibly? But I don't feel that Giovanni's Table is formal enough for the sequined short dress either. I think I'm going to search out 150 Central Park when we get on board, and take my husband over for a look at the menu. There is some limited info on the RCI website, but it doesn't look like his kind of food. If he likes it though, we will book.

Sally, I just had an interesting chat online with WHBM. You had mentioned that their stock changes frequently. She told me they base their clothing on black and white, and then choose a few colors as accent colors for about a month. One of the current colors is cinnamon.

This is pretty much what you told me, but I didn't realize that they had a system to it.

The cinnamon one piece bathing suit is lovely, but 1) I really don't need it, 2) it's more than what I want to pay, and 3) it currently isn't available in a size that will fit on top. I view bathing suits as long term investments, so if the suit was flattering and well made, I would definitely consider it. It's in a dream color. It's only available online, so there isn't the chance of trying it on in the store.

Here is the link, for anyone that may be interested:

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?productId=570170964&prd=Ruffle%20Surplice%20OnePiece%20Swimsuit

The shirt I like is available in all sizes, so I think there is a good chance it will be available at a sales price at some point. There is a dress, only available online, that is getting mixed reviews. It's funny how much there is in cinnamon that I like.

I also have to remind myself that many of their items seem to be made for a certain build, that I do not have. But I haven't actually tried anything on yet, so you never know.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here. It was sunny and in the mid 60s. Just beautiful! Today is rainy and cold. It comes with spring, I guess.

I'm still not certain what to do with that one dress. I got to thinking that even though I love it and it made everyone's short list, I don't have to wear it this cruise. I have options, and I can plan on wearing this on the next cruise. That is perfectly okay to do. I have a month to figure it out, and I can work on my daytime outfits in the meantime. I see a lot of olive green going along.

We had a lovely treat this week: some friends gave us their opera tickets. So, we got to see Otello at the Met. It was incredible. I wore one of my sheath dresses with pearl drop earrings and my nude platform pumps.

Laurie, that is a beautiful bathing suit.

I think you mentioned at one time bringing your blue fit and flare dress instead of the gold. Am I remembering correctly? That dress is so lovely on you and the floral gives it a tropical feel. Perhaps you could revisit that idea.

It's easy to over pack when you have a lot of choices that you are happy with. I think you are in a good place now with your wardrobe, and that can make packing a lot of fun for people like us who slightly obsess over it. :)

It looks like I'll be going to Michigan at least a couple of times this summer, I'm not sure for how long. This month I'm going to lay the groundwork for petitioning the court for guardianship of both of my parents, and then I'll have to go for the initial hearings and then the evidentiary hearings. So, my capsule wardrobes will be getting a workout. I've had a rough couple of weeks with my dad, and this will just eliminate so many of the difficulties my sister and I are dealing with.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll get either a week in Florida in September or a quickie December cruise. My parents' situation is a constant reminder to both of us that we have to enjoy life and not continually put things off until it's more convenient.

Margaret , I know how hard it is to deal with aging parents especially at a distance . My Sisters & I have been dealing with my Mom for years .

Laurie , I love WHBM dresses and other items but frankly their bathing suits are not great and not worth the money .I love that suit and considered it for myself but I do not think their bathing suits are worth it .

I just bought this skirt from JJill with a white loose t shirt . It looks great . I love it .

064021_04R.jpg.c59bcc6d8ccf52c8b1cdd1a7d78b90e1.jpg

Margaret, I'm sorry that there are still issues with your parents. It is a very difficult thing to go through, in part due to the role reversal. Add that to the stubbornness that age and health problems bring...it's a daunting task to take on. I hope things get better for you.

I was chatting a bit with my husband about clothes earlier today. I told him that one of my issues is matching my personal taste in style with budget. Color and age/style differences. For example, I do like the classy yet current vibe with White House Black Market. But the style in clothing is really focused on a straight, smaller chest build. It is also a price range I don't love. When I'm shopping, I seldom say that something is perfect. If I were to think of a dress that is the closest to that, I would say the Michael Kors snake print dress. The fit and style are great. The snake print isn't my first choice. The colors are earth, but more soft earth than true earth.

I think if I had more time and had some serging lessons, I would look to make some things.

But I do think I'm going to bring that floral dress back in the lineup. It is nice to have choices.

Looking at daytime outfit options was fun to do. I have quite a few things figured out. I'm bringing a lot of Travex with me. That is the fabric that Eddie Bauer uses a lot. It travels well, is quick drying and is made to keep you cooler.

Going to the opera sounds like fun. I don't think we ever have the opera around here. I would like to go to Symphoria sometime though.