All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Hi All! We have been home for a while now, since her surgery was so early. She did very well, and has been in good spirits overall.

Since coming home, there has been a lot of bleeding but the doctor told us to expect that. I find that when she is not moving around and sleeping, she doesn't bleed as badly. She is getting swollen, so I imagine there will be a lot of bruises soon.

But she has handled herself very well. I think it is worse than when she had her appendix out.

I'm home with her tomorrow as well. I have a feeling she will bounce back very quickly!

Sally, I hope you and Gary are feeling better, and are able to reschedule your trip soon.

We are having a beautiful day today. My daughters and i sat out in the backyard for a bit, while the dogs were playing fetch and chasing bubbles. It was fun, and we all got some fresh air too.

I'm not used to be home during the week, so I'm moving right along with laundry and other chores. Right now, my daughter that had the surgery is taking a nap. She ate her whole lunch today, and enjoyed her time outside. I could see that she was getting tired, and the dogs were as well, so we headed back in for a bit. We are supposed to have great weather tomorrow and Sunday too, which I look forward to.

I have been thinking about going upstairs, and starting the switch to bring out some of my warmer weather clothing. I buy a lot of things that have "seasonless" fabric, and where I can add or remove layers depending on the time of year. However, shorts and tank tops and flood length jeans and pants are currently put away, so I think I will get those out and put away the one heavier tweed suit I have, plus some of the fleece. I will selectively leave out some of the cool weather items, since I HOPE we won't need a lot of it, day in and day out.

We've had snow into May, and I'm pretty sure in June before too. But it's usually one of those one day events when it comes to days after about the third week in April. You never know!

Margaret, have fun at the lakehouse this weekend.

I'm hoping that my shingles are gone before I want/need to wear shorts. yup, still have them. Not the blisters, just the rash. I noticed today though that it seems much drier than usual, which I think is a sign that they will be going away soon. It's been almost 9 weeks. My doctor said that some people have lingering symptoms, with the rash being one of them, for up to six months. I am not having any problems such as pain or burning anymore, but they do itch at times.

Have any of you been to San Juan, where you spent your day exploring Old San Juan on your own, by trolley? That is what we are currently planning, based on what some other have said. Our hours there are odd. I'd have to check for sure, but I think we are there from 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM. We planned to get off around 9:00 or so, wander around a bit, get lunch, and get back on the ship.

Melody, I was just looking at the WHBM website and I just love the things they have in the cinnamon color. They're a bit pricey for me but I love that color! I need to check for coupons.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Melody, thanks for the heads up on that beautiful color. We have the news on, are you getting massive snow today?

I'm glad we took a vacation when we did. The company DH works for went bankrupt this week, so no job, no health insurance. To top it off, the CEO cancelled our health insurance back in March without telling us so my doctor visits, colonoscopy, two mammograms, and sonogram are all not covered. :mad:

Needless to say, I'm on a shopping moratorium for now.

If you enjoyed my trip report, I'm glad. I was hoping to give a glimpse of what that kind of cruise is like, because it is definitely a very different experience from the big ships. One of the things we've been talking about is how it seemed like two different cruise experiences, in that the Costa Rica part felt like a custom vacation compared to the days in Panama. Part of that I think is that Panama is just not as developed for tourism, and part is being at the mercy of the Canal Authority as to scheduling. Some is my own expectations that the crossing would be as Pam described, so I missed some hints that it might be at night. There is a discussion about that on the Windstar board now. I notice for 2017 it's much more explicit.

In retrospect, we did see each part of the canal, just not in order. In fact, if we hadn't taken the stupid monkey boat ride we wouldn't have seen Gatun Lake or the Gallard cut, and we saw the Gatun Locks on our last day excursion. So, we're happy enough.

Now I'm looking forward to cruising vicariously with Melody and Laurie. :)

Margaret , So sorry to hear about your husband's job loss and the insurance fiasco .

Gary & I are healing but it is going so slow . Yesterday was the first day I was able to food shop without feeling like I was going to pass out . Pretty scary but luckily we are going in the right direction.

Laurie , White House Black market usually has coupon codes floating around . Their dresses are very well made and worth the money but they do go on sale frequently .

Melody , What 's with the snow in april ?

Margaret! That's awful! I'm so very sorry. That CEO will probably end up in jail! Cancelling health insurance without notification to the members is now a federal offense. You should qualify for Cobra coverage because of the non-notification

I took this picture at 7am. Since then we're up to about 10" & no end in sight! Good that we don't fly till Friday & it'll be gone by then!ImageUploadedByForums1460831335.860023.jpg.af2cb0d1a1cb3dad74fca152edf79fc3.jpg. Melody

Margaret, I'm so sorry about your husband's job. That is awful. I recall a while back that you may have indicated that the company was laying off a bunch of people, but that your husband was kept on. It sounds like they were trying to keep themselves going without letting on how bad things were.

Melody is right about COBRA. In addition, if you were paying anything towards health insurance, and it is reflected on paystubs, I think you have recourse. I would say the company he worked for is in a lot of trouble, and I don't just mean financially...legally, even. You may wish to check other items that are deducted from payroll as well.

I'm not trying to scare you, it's just it happened to my father years back, long before COBRA. He had issues with the social security taxes that were deducted and his retirement as well. It's always good to check those things.

I went to the mall today because I had a few returns. I stopped in White House Black Market and oh, that cinnamon color...They had a whole bunch of things in that color. I just loved it. Nothing was on sale. I was talking to my husband, who was with me. He agrees that they are very expensive, but that it's okay to buy something special once in a while.

I am really focused on financial goals at the moment, and once I have a few other things paid off, I would feel better so I stuck to my course of action, and didn't buy anything. But that color is beautiful, and I was very excited about it. I think I will watch for a sale.

Right now, I need a few pair of work shoes. My current ones (I rotate between three pair, mostly) are all in very sad shape and need replacing. I'm struggling a little to find anything. I'm looking for brown pumps with a mid sized heel. I think it's time to check Zappos again, I haven't checked in a few months. I don't like that they don't have sales, but their shipping policy makes it so easy to order and send things back. They're really fast too.

My after retirement hobby was selling dresses on ebay . White House Black market was the main brand I sold . Those dresses will be on sale in a few months for great prices .Plus you will be able to find a coupon for a bigger discount . They flip their merchandise a lot . My prediction would be that by the middle of June those dresses will be half off .I love the bathing suit and cover up .

Thanks for the info, Sally. I definitely plan to watch these items carefully. The color is outstanding, and the styles are beautiful. And I love a good deal. :)

My daughter continues to amaze me. She got up yesterday early, and told us not to worry about her, to go ahead to the gym. When we got home, she was eating (slowly, while breaking off pieces) a bagel. Today, she asked if one of us could drop her off to church, as she wanted to go but isn't cleared to drive yet. She's napping a bit now, but she is doing so great.

I think one of the side things about this is seeing how we all come together and take care of one another. I feel very blessed to see how we do that, as I know people who aren't like this at all.

I've been cleaning today, and I'm thinking of doing a little bit of gardening in the back. They have started the siding, and I don't really want to work in the front until they are done. If I do, it will be the area over near the fence or the front most garden near the street. We have a lot of beds in the front, and it's quite a bit of work. The back garden isn't near the house at all.

We are looking forward to putting a deck or patio in during the next few years. Patios can be pretty expensive, so we were leaning towards a deck. Then a few years after that, we will put in a very small patio like area for the fire pit. Someday!

We have a pretty long list, it seems. I guess we all do, right?

Here I am talking about gardening, and poor Melody is probably shoveling. That feels odd in a way, because it always seems like Syracuse is the last to get rid of snow. We've had a mild year.

Lol Laurie! Just finished! DH can't shovel cause of the abdominal surgery. I don't think I'll see my gardens till we come back! My hyacinths & tulips are trying to poke through the snow. I covered my new growth peonies & my salvia is really hardy (already has some flowering beginning to bud). We ended up with about 10-11" of wet concrete-like snow, yuck! At least it's good for the grass. Our DDs SO owns a commercial landscaping/snow removal business. He hasn't slept in days! Melody

It's in the high 60s at the lake so today we went for a long walk. It is the first one in a couple years because of DH's hip. It is so nice to be able to do these things again. I learned the hard way not to put in flowers until the first of May here. It may feel like spring but we can still have some freezing nights and I'm not here during the week to cover the babies. I watch the cherry tree, and once it blooms I'm good to go. Fortunately, this is the first winter in a while that we haven't lost a tree or two.

As for COBRA, that was what we planned on doing knowing that DH was going to be unemployed. But, it turns out it is only available if the health plan at the company is still available. If the company is gone and the plan is gone, there is nothing for COBRA to attach to. We were totally taken by surprise when we learned that. So, we had to go to the health plan exchange in our state. That means we will be in an HMO. At this point we are in a holding pattern until we've been enrolled/approved, whatever they call it. DH already has a couple of consulting gigs lined up. No moss growing under my man. :)

The good news is DH's boss is making good on my recent health care costs. We could have sued the company but that would have been pointless as it is bankrupt. He did break several laws in doing what he did, whatever murky story he has to tell us.

I'm entertaining myself by looking at fjord cruises, even though we are a long way off from our next vacation, whatever it may be. Vacation dreaming is one of my stress management strategies. :D

Margaret, there is no doubt that this has been upsetting news to you. But I think your attitude has been wonderful. I love how my friends here remind me of the good in people, and how to weather the storms that life throws at us.

Now that I am done with the back garden, I decided to research some luggage that we've had our eye on. I have found the brand Delsey to be pretty sharp looking, and it appears to be well made. The online reviews all appear to be good as well.

Macy's had an orange set yesterday that we really liked. I know...orange, just like our favorite team. Did I ever tell you my husband works for the university, and that one of my daughters attended there?

Anyway, we can get a royal blue set through Macy's for less, or a red set through Lord and Taylor for less. When I say set, I mean a set we're putting together. We have decided we want to purchase two 21" carry ons and two 25" pieces. We are not getting a 29" at this stage. From looking at the luggage, I really feel that it looks like it holds more than what we currently use, plus it is super as well.

So the decision will be - blue, red or orange? I am trying to be frugal, so I have my coupons out. (the red is through E-Bags) I'm leaning towards the orange set, but the cost is about $80.00 more overall. That's a lot to pay for a color.

I am avoiding black, because it seems there is so much black luggage. I thought a color would stand out? The orange, well, that would be easy to spot, I think. My current luggage is a brown print by Anne Klein, and we can always spot it so easily. I love that.

Margaret, I'm glad that those health care costs are being covered. Were I in your shoes, I think I would be blindsided by all these recent happenings, but it sounds like you are weathering the storm...it's wonderful that your DH already has prospects.

I'm also on a shopping/spending "diet"...I bought SO much fabric at Hancock over the past couple of weeks. I've been busy looking at inspiration and making plans...I'll be sewing again soon. I think my first project will be a copy cat dress of one that I saw at the Oscar de la Renta exhibit.

I really enjoyed your trip report so much. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Sally...so sorry to read that you had to cancel/postpone your cruise. It's dreadful when a bug gets a hold of you...the fatigue can be so debilitating.

I know you are leaving soon Melody and it sounds like you are all ready to go! I can't believe the weather you have been having this year...just insane really.

We had a very fast overnight trip to Charlotte, NC, Friday and Saturday. The high school chorus went to participate in the Carowinds Music Festival. Carowinds is an amusement park that is on the NC/SC border and in both states. Fortunately, our chorus had a very early performance time and then could enjoy the day in the park. DH and I were both chaperones. I've never been to the Carolinas, so that was new and different.

I don't know if I'm just a wimp for the cold or if I have some other cold sensitivity going on. It was in the 40s in the morning with a cold wind. Many were bundling up...but many just dealt with it because it was supposed to warm up to 72 that day. I was wearing 3 layers! Two of them long sleeves...pants...and wool knee high socks (compression) and I can honestly say I was never too warm.

I saw so many tanks and shorts! OMG. I was cold looking at them.

When I did feel borderline overwarm standing in the sun with no wind...I was still very happy to be covered up...and not so exposed. I think I might have been cooler wearing my cotton sleeves...the sun was a bit harsh, and I think it would have been more uncomfortable to have had no sleeves...it really has me thinking about my sewing projects. I've been a tank person for so long, but lately...this seems to be changing.

Of course, we haven't hit what I would truly consider to be warm weather yet...not even close.

Laurie, I looked at the Macy's website...they have an extra 15% off with "SUNDAY" code that ends today. Did you see that?

Anita, I have a coupon for 20% off. With that, the orange luggage still ended up $110 more. My husband just told me to order the red from Lord and Taylor. Is it bad that I can't get myself to do that? And to think...I'm hesitating to buy something red, lol. I did find a set, same brand and model, so to speak, that is black but the top is royal blue with black trim. It's the same price as the red. Lord and Taylor is 25% off. IfI wait until tomorrow, that sale is over. But I have a 20% off coupon. It will be more though.

Laurie the orange would be cute BUT it will get terribly dirty & look crummy after one trip. The black & Royal & red don't get too dirty. I gave up my taupe bags for this trip & have boring black (with a hot pink L on the back & our specialized name tags. Melody

Margaret, glad the former boss is covering the medical bills (keep copies of the paid statements!). His lawyer probably told him it was cheaper in the long run to do that. Melody

Laurie, I've often wondered about the psychology of pricing and options...like do you really want the orange so much because it is orange and all those associations...or does it become that much more attractive because it becomes a little like forbidden fruit with the higher price? If all the colors were the same price, which would you truly want?

Of course, that's impossible to answer because they aren't the same price...

You love red so I would think that the red would still be a happy choice for you...and you would ultimately feel good, thinking that you made a good, fiscally responsible decision...and you'd still be getting a stand out color that you normally like a lot.

It all just depends on your personality as to whether or not you would be the type of person that would always resent the red luggage because it wasn't orange? or would you congratulate yourself on getting the red and getting such a good price? or would you talk yourself into the orange and then beat yourself up every time you saw it because it wasn't the less expensive red? or would you congratulate yourself on knowing what you really want and getting it, even if what you really want is more money, and be thrilled about the orange for all the reasons that you are attracted to it the most right now?

Good questions. Honestly, I would not enjoy the orange luggage knowing that I paid that much more just for the color. There was something bothering me about the red where I felt I couldn't commit. When I love something, I will ask myself if I love it enough to pay what is being asked, before even comparing. I flat out said no in the store yesterdsy, so that is a big indication to me that it wasn't something I had to have.

I definitely live with guilt if I feel I spend more than I should. And the feeling doesn't go away either!

Now Melody, you've made a good point. I think all of the colors will show dirt, but the orange will almost immediately.

I think I'm going to go back and check again and look at these more carefully.

I just found the perfect solution. Boy am I glad I looked further! Kohls had one of the two styles I was looking for in mocha. Brown! It qualified for Ebates at 6% back and I will also get $80 in Kohls cash. It now feels painless. I think it will hide dirt and still be visible.

And you know, Anita, it definitely wasn't feeling right. I'm glad I looked further. I feel like I made a better choice, and a guilt free one at that. It's always a good feeling when you've made a well thought out decision.

Today my daughter got the packing removed from her nose. My husband said it reminded me of a clown routine, where they pull a scarf from their hand, but it's connected to another and another and...you get the picture. He can't figure out how they got all that in her nose! Now she just has the stents left. She thinks it's really neat to have the bandages and packing gone.