All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, you look so beautiful and happy in all your pictures. It looks like you really enjoyed yourself and picked a good cruise. Your clothes all look so perfect for you. It's lovely to see your bone structure coming out in your pretty face. Your DH looks so relaxed and happy too. What a lovely couple.

Love love love the red bathing suit on you. And the leopard print dress. And the one with the turquoise. And just everything. :)

Laurie...loved revisiting the Allure with you! You look fab in all the pictures...really looks like you and DH had a nice break.

I'm back from my crazy week away. I didn't take any photos though...sorry.

DS had been accepted to the Young Composer's Program at the Cleveland Institute of Music in Cleveland. DH had left already for New Jersey, so DS and I flew from ATL to Cleveland...DH drove in from NJ.

We stayed one night in Cleveland and visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame together on our travel day. The next day, we checked DS into the dorms and the program and DH and I hit the road for NJ, because DH needed to go to work. So I took him to work and drove all around NJ and PA looking for an apt that DH could live in for the next year.

So now, officially, DH has a family home in GA, works in NJ, and will be living in a temporary apt in PA. Good grief.

Then we drove back to Cleveland for the weekend again. Stayed there two nights this time. There was a concert on Friday night and Saturday matinee where the in house ensemble played the compositions of the 11 participants in the program. (They did have to submit those by the end of May so the ensemble could practice and then they could go over them during the week).

My big take away to share is this...if you have to have temporary stays like this...it really isn't worth it to bring too many clothes. And even for a one week thing like this...doing laundry is way better than having to deal with too many clothes.

I say this because I helped DH out by doing some laundry for him while he was at work. And I threw in what I could of mine into the two loads I did. And then I just wore those things over again...so I totally overpacked, even though I didn't have much and just used my backpack carry-on for the trip.

Today was a unique experience...some moms have a mother-daughter day at the salon, but today I had a mother-son day...we both got some fun color added to our hair!

360C7519-8D17-4B4F-BF1C-B4806AD3D122_zpshjkwkmr3.jpg

The color is layered under so depending on where I place my part, it can be shown more:

DE815A6F-935A-4FA7-827C-C4ADF0C5B6F0_zpsr9donrib.jpg

or less:

A55B4DE4-5BCC-43BE-AC02-4A8D4514E184_zpso2j4dzdb.jpg

I realize that one of the last times I had my hair cut and shared, I was wearing this exact same tank top. It's a fabulous dusty teal color. The purple is just a bit on the brighter side...but I think it works. It can be hard to see but IRL it definitely doesn't clash with my tank top.

Laurie,

You look so good in all of your photos. You seemed to have found all the EARTHY backdrops! Congrats on your weight loss and toning. Keep up the good work :)

Anita--the purple hair :D

It's funny, they had a lot of earthy backdrops to choose from. We had photos taken against a pink backdrop, and it was just dreadful, lol. They are not worth posting!

I'm very much enjoying our health journey, and even though I feel a bit impatient at times, I feel like I'm making changes that I can live with. I know that if I lose weight in a hurry, the chances of it coming back are pretty high because I haven't developed healthy habits. I've been approaching this in the opposite manner - I developed healthy habits first, and then work towards the weight loss.

I have some PCD, or post cruise depression, going on. It was a great trip, but now I'm thinking my next one won't be until September 2017! That is a long time to wait. I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a 3 day cruise next winter, but we will see. We have a fall vacation coming up, but I think staycation would be a better word. We plan to do things at home and we'll make time for fun things, like dinner and a movie and maybe a day trip or two.

Anita, your hair looks fun! One of my daughters did something similar, but she had long hair and put the color underneath. I'm not sure I described that right, but there are different ways to add the color.

I have a wedding coming up Friday evening. I plan to wear that teal fit and flair dress with the flowers on it. I hope to get some pictures to share with all of you.

Yesterday, we had a bus trip to the Yankees game. That was a whole lot of fun! I joked with my husband that this year, we got to see my third favorite team, and last year I saw my second favorite team, the Mets. These trips are organized through my husband's place of employment for alumni and employees. The rotate between the two teams, I think.

One of these days, we'll organize ourselves to go see the Red Sox! I'm the black sheep of the family.

Does anyone else have plans for this summer? Anita, you are so busy with things going on.

This has been a strange year for me travel wise . We had to cancel two trips . One due to my Mom's illness and one due to our illness and now Gary is having total knee surgery so this may be the first year in forever that we do not travel except to visit my grandchildren.We do have a transatlantic booked for april and if the prices of the cruises to Cuba drop we may book one of those for the Fall . Right now they are very overpriced and not selling so they have been discounting them as the time gets closer . They sail from Miami so I can be ready at the drop of a hat . I find I have gotten particular about travel . It has to be really interesting to me to take the plunge .

It's surprising, the effect of the background of a photo. There's one photo in particular where Mom looks absolutely fabulous in this black jumpsuit she has because of the background of the photo. I think the effect is stronger when the background is in focus and especially is closer, like the backdrops provided by the photography stations...I don't think the impact is as great when it's a vista type background with depth and dimension, and when the background isn't in crisp focus...like in an outdoor setting.

We don't have travel plans until Thanksgiving week. We will be in New York that week.

Our summer is almost over. Band camp starts in 3 weeks. :eek: And then school starts immediately after on August 1.

Cute hair, Anita! I haven't forgotten that you'll be in NY this fall... still hoping we can get together at some point.

Yesterday during my chiropractor appointment the back seam of my shirt got torn, so I ran down the street and bought this:

http://www.charmingcharlie.com/apparel/alicia-fringe-hem-tee.html#color=coral

It's a little longer on me than in the pic. I tried the brown too but it is AIR. I also tried on this, but they didn't have my size:

http://www.charmingcharlie.com/apparel/molly-embroidered-tank.html#color=olive

I find that sometimes I take a small there even though I am a 10/12. Their sizes are a little funky.

I've realized I have a lack of green in my wardrobe, so greens have been catching my eye lately, even though I'm on a shopping diet. So, I'm loving this jjill top:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=49047A&rPFID=0&sk=N&h=N

Margaret, you did great! I can't seem to find deals like that anymore...I think I've gotten too picky? I used to always walk away with a bag of stuff, feeling smug because of the great deals I got. These days, I don't seem to shop like that. But I will say that I will watch something I like carefully, until I feel the price is really good. I think part of it is that we had a smaller mall just up the street years ago, and I could stop frequently and just run in and out, keeping my eyes open for deals and the like. That mall is closed, and our megamall just isn't something where you can run in and out.

I can relate to the cool brown color you saw too. For me, I wear pants quite a bit for various reasons. Separates are easier for me than suits, and I can never seem to find matching separates to make a suit that fit me right, so I buy pants and jackets separately, in different styles and colors. I have 6 pairs of work pants at the moment, and that is it. A few of them are cool brown, a few are good browns, and one is kind of a dark gray, but there is the brown plaid that runs through that creates warmth.

It becomes very clear that there is cool and warm browns when you start to try and put outfits together. I'm desperate to find other earth colors for work.

I will say that this year, I am seeing a lot more earthy tones for summer. Many are very casual tops,but there have been some shorts too. There seems to be a lot of olive shorts, and quite a few are rather warm in tone.

I am of the theory that sometimes you have to grab it when you see it, but I try hard to make sure it's something I really love. If it sits in the closet, it isn't worth what you spent, you know?

We have a busy weekend coming up. Friday night is the wedding I've been talking about, Saturday is my daughter's birthday so we are going to a Syracuse Chiefs game. She loves the Chiefs, our local minor league baseball team. Sunday and Monday will be spent painting the garage, which is really big. Busy, busy, busy!

Crazy week for us. Monday,DH tried to pass kidney stones (no joy) (7 hrs in er); Wednesday, DD had knee surgery for meniscus (medial) tear & patella reconstruction; today was pool day with all the grands & after 17 days of 90 degrees & bright sun we woke up to 50s & rain, how typical. And we cancelled a 10 night cruise for March.

The bright part of my week was we booked b2b on Royal's Liberty out of Galveston for 23&30 Apr 17, we'll be joining very good friends, so that's really something to look forward to!

Happy Canada Day tomorrow & Happy 4th of July to all! Melody

We plan on watching all the fireworks from our deck . We overlook Sarasota Bay so we get to see all the fireworks from several communities while sipping wine on our deck .

We also just got a $418 reduction on our transatlantic cruise . I am starting to get excited about that trip even though it is not until April . The roll call is very active and lots of good excursion suggestions .We will be staying a few days in Barcelona after the cruise and may add another stop in.

Melody, how is your gang doing?

Last night I dreamed I was on a cruise and I hadn't made any plans for port days. And I wasn't even concerned about it!! ha ha.

Here are some great packing tips. I've used some but there's always something new to learn:

http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/Family-Vacation-Packing-Tips/ss/Brilliant-Packing-Tips-Seen-on-Pinterest.htm?utm_campaign=kw_travel_25&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=con&utm_content=3135&kwp_0=169858&kwp_4=707048&kwp_1=358242#showall

My three nieces are coming Monday for a week. We have lots of fun things planned including tickets to An American in Paris, which I've been wanting to see.

July is shaping up to be a busy month. I already know I'll be heading back to Michigan because my dad will be having a melanoma surgery on his face. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they don't find any other danger spots. So, do your skin checks everyone.

DH took his first waterski run post-hip replacement, and he did great. Now if only we could get some summer weather. I'm too old to be jumping into cold water in 55 degree temps!

Margaret, glad your DH is back to being active, water is so healing (especially if you're able to be on top of it too!). Hope your Dad's surgery goes well

DH is doing great, pain hasn't come back (yet) & we know there's another stone lurking. DD is having a ton of pain, got checked yesterday for another clot (thank goodness it was just intense swelling under patella).

Our holiday weekend is pretty rainy (it'll cut the fire danger from lightning & fireworks). Nature put on the best light display I've ever seen the past two nights!

On the packing tips,

1. I use Vera Bradley iron holders ($1 at outlet) & they match my carryon

2. I get several swim float tubes & cut them to fit

3. That's awesome, clothes pins are already in case

6. DH always rolls belts inside collars of dress shirts, but also puts socks inside the belt so nothing shifts

7 & 8. Yup

10. Always

12. Always

13. Brilliant

14. Save dry clean bags all year for travel

18. Have used for years, now I use the ends of the swim tubes (from #2) (after putting in a zip lock bag

Have a great 4th all. Melody

Edited by awhfy