Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

sorry but the nonsense is yours. you know full well there are ships where that policy has been changed. if you don't like that policy, don't sail carnival. easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

but, in my opinion, i'm going to bet that you are probably a platinum who feels they have earned there benefits and none of your benefits should ever change which is why you won't go sail a different line because you don't want to start at the bottom again. just my theory, that's all.

but if one wants to reduce or remove tips cased on what they think they should be getting instead of what they are supposed to be getting, that's fine. it just pushes carnival closer to the mandatory tips which i'm all for. it's interesting that on ncl, you can't even remove tips on the ship anymore. you have to request a card to fill out and mail back in when you get home. maybe carnival should adopt this program. just imagine how many people lose those cards on the way home. :D

You happen to be wrong about the policy on a few ships is once a day. Where is your source that it is policy? It has been stated by John H. that Both has always been an option. No where has anyone with Carnival said it was policy to have once a day. Besides a few reports a while ago about stewards saying one or the other, please show me where Carnival has ever said it was policy?

Technically speaking, your above statement is accurate.

What Je should say is not that the steward isn't doing their job, but that he is not satisfied with the job they are doing.

absolutely correct. but when someone is not satisfied based on their own incorrect assumptions, that's their own fault, not anyone else's.

Once the pampering stops, I would just tell them to skip me altogether, and I'll leave 1/7th of a tip for a 7 day cruise.

that's the spirit. screw all the hard working people because the policy changes in a way you don't like. i'm sure all of the cabin stewards have a lot of say in what their work schedule is. :rolleyes:

You happen to be wrong about the policy on a few ships is once a day. Where is your source that it is policy? It has been stated by John H. that Both has always been an option. No where has anyone with Carnival said it was policy to have once a day. Besides a few reports a while ago about stewards saying one or the other, please show me where Carnival has ever said it was policy?

look at the picture the op posted. enough said.

look at the picture the op posted. enough said.

That picture of the card that the OP posted is from the Dream, the end of February. It was taken by a friend of mine and has been making the rounds in all of the Carnival groups. The Dream has been notorious for stewards trying to steer people to once a day service.

Edited by Thorncroft

That picture of the card that the OP posted is from the Dream, the end of February. It was taken by a friend of mine and has been making the rounds in all of the Carnival groups. The Dream has been notorious for stewards trying to steer people to once a day service.

Exactly. As I said, give me a Carnival source saying it's policy. That would be someone higher up than a steward or a picture of a card that has been reported to have been changed or not used. The most recent reports from cruisers on the Dream have had no issues with twice a day.

Exactly. As I said, give me a Carnival source saying it's policy. That would be someone higher up than a steward or a picture of a card that has been reported to have been changed or not used. The most recent reports from cruisers on the Dream have had no issues with twice a day.

ah. so the cabin stewards on the dream banded together and started their own printing shop and printed all of those cards up to give to guests without the hotel supervisor ever catching on. gotcha. :rolleyes:

ah. so the cabin stewards on the dream banded together and started their own printing shop and printed all of those cards up to give to guests without the hotel supervisor ever catching on. gotcha. :rolleyes:

You really aren't too bright are you? There were no cards with "both" on them. There may be now, but back in February they were not in existence.

I'm anything but a morning lark. So on my previous cruises many times I was sleeping it off from the day before and my steward just serviced my cabin in the PM. I guess it's more the novelty of twice a day which you don't even get in 3 star hotels downward. So I can understand traditionalists not being happy at the impending change. As long as the cabin gets fully cleaned each day at night no problem. Want extra towels? The spa has them in hand towel and gigantic bath towels. Really want to do a "Felix Unger" between steward visits? Sloppy yourself or sloppy roommate(s) Again the spa to the rescue. On one cruise, on one of the days my stomach was "active" and I didn't want to subject my steward to too many kids dropped at the pool!" So, I went to the spa, took a few of the cloth rags and sprayed them with the antiseptic cleaning solution and returned to my cabin to get rid of evidence of my stomach funk.;)

absolutely correct. but when someone is not satisfied based on their own incorrect assumptions, that's their own fault, not anyone else's.

I can't fully agree with that statement. If Carnival spent almost 5 decades setting an expectation and then changes it, seasoned guests can certainly feel less than satisfied. I would not blame the guest or say it is their fault.

Now, if a guest selects the steakhouse and expects a top notch Vegan experience, yes, I would blame the guest on having false assumptions.

Everything can be measured in degrees.

I'm anything but a morning lark. So on my previous cruises many times I was sleeping it off from the day before and my steward just serviced my cabin in the PM. I guess it's more the novelty of twice a day which you don't even get in 3 star hotels downward. So I can understand traditionalists not being happy at the impending change. As long as the cabin gets fully cleaned each day at night no problem. Want extra towels? The spa has them in hand towel and gigantic bath towels. Really want to do a "Felix Unger" between steward visits? Sloppy yourself or sloppy roommate(s) Again the spa to the rescue. On one cruise, on one of the days my stomach was "active" and I didn't want to subject my steward to too many kids dropped at the pool!" So, I went to the spa, took a few of the cloth rags and sprayed them with the antiseptic cleaning solution and returned to my cabin to get rid of evidence of my stomach funk.;)

For me twice a day cleaning isn't a novelty. I'd be less than pleased if I had to go to the spa to have enough fresh towels, and I certainly wouldn't be hunting down cleaning solution to "pre-clean" for the steward. I don't "Felix Unger" up the place either. But running around and wasting time so I can shower with fresh towels is not my idea of time well spent.

You really aren't too bright are you? There were no cards with "both" on them. There may be now, but back in February they were not in existence.

exactly. hence the change in policy, for that ship, that many of you are unable to grasp. ;)

guess i'm not the dimmest bulb in the thread. :p :D

Edited by Computer Nerd

I can't fully agree with that statement. If Carnival spent almost 5 decades setting an expectation and then changes it, seasoned guests can certainly feel less than satisfied. I would not blame the guest or say it is their fault.

Now, if a guest selects the steakhouse and expects a top notch Vegan experience, yes, I would blame the guest on having false assumptions.

Everything can be measured in degrees.

that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying people are responsible for their own false expectations. if carnival decides to change to once a day cabin service across the fleet, would you pull tips knowing that the standard has changed and are not satisfied that you are getting what you think you are paying for :confused: that is exactly what je whatever and others are claiming they will do knowing full well that the standard had changed but using history as an excuse to removed their tips.

exactly. hence the change in policy, for that ship, that many of you are unable to grasp. ;)

Yes, you are. You have no diamonds to dazzle us with, so you just try to baffle us with BS.

You don't have to go to the spa for extra towels. On the Dream a couple of weeks ago we told our Steward (who did give us the option for both AM and PM) that we just wanted PM only so we could sleep in on Belize and Sea Days. We asked him at that time for extra towels and fresh ice daily which he happily provided.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Dear lord - I do believe you are either the dimmest bulb or someone who just likes to "rev people up" (as my DH says).

Not going to argue with you whether there was a policy or not. You are wrong. Period!

The cards were made and people could always check both AM and PM. When the cards came out, it was specifically stated by JH that you could check both. Yes, it was some (not all) stewards on one ship that went rogue and started telling people they could only choose one. However, it was also stated that if/when they went to complain to GS or Housekeeping, the cruiser was apologized to (because it was not the POLICY) and corrected.

Unless you can show an actual source (besides a months old picture of a card), from the Carnival website or from an office person at Carnival saying this is policy, then you are just disagreeing to disagree.

You don't have to go to the spa for extra towels. On the Dream a couple of weeks ago we told our Steward (who did give us the option for both AM and PM) that we just wanted PM only so we could sleep in on Belize and Sea Days. We asked him at that time for extra towels and fresh ice daily which he happily provided.

Note that Warm Breezes was on the Dream! The specific ship that had some issues and looks like their POLICY is whatever the customer wants - even twice a day!

Did you happen to ever see a card or did your steward just ask?

Note that Warm Breezes was on the Dream! The specific ship that had some issues and looks like their POLICY is whatever the customer wants - even twice a day!

Did you happen to ever see a card or did your steward just ask?

He had the card when he asked. I'm pretty sure it had both on it and he purposely explained to us when we told him we only wanted PM service with robes, extra towels and ice that Both services were an option. Sugeng was a great room steward. He not only kept a full ice bucket in our room, but he kept my Carnival Cooler full too (without my asking). He also gave DS a $50 Spa Certificate and $10 photo certificate for his birthday and DH a $10 photo certificate Just Because. He always came and cleaned our room after we left for supper at night. He always seemed to be in the area when we came back to the room at lunch/breakfast with a plate of food and no hands to open our door for us. He was one of the best room stewards we have had from all the cruise lines we have sailed.

Hold your horses right there! Don't be talking about getting rid of my Chocolate Melting Cake! All that other stuff is small potatoes compared to doing away with the infamous CMC. Them's fightin' words LOL!

:eek: Save the Chocolate Melting Cake! Don't let it become just a Diamond/Platnium benefit, like twice per day cabin cleaning. Crusiers Unite!

LOL. Tongue firmly in cheek :D

that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying people are responsible for their own false expectations. if carnival decides to change to once a day cabin service across the fleet, would you pull tips knowing that the standard has changed and are not satisfied that you are getting what you think you are paying for :confused: that is exactly what je whatever and others are claiming they will do knowing full well that the standard had changed but using history as an excuse to removed their tips.

Yes. Once they provide half the service for an activity WE PAY FOR, the tip would get halved.

The standard HAS NOT CHANGED.

Dear lord - I do believe you are either the dimmest bulb or someone who just likes to "rev people up" (as my DH says).

Not going to argue with you whether there was a policy or not. You are wrong. Period!

The cards were made and people could always check both AM and PM. When the cards came out, it was specifically stated by JH that you could check both. Yes, it was some (not all) stewards on one ship that went rogue and started telling people they could only choose one. However, it was also stated that if/when they went to complain to GS or Housekeeping, the cruiser was apologized to (because it was not the POLICY) and corrected.

Unless you can show an actual source (besides a months old picture of a card), from the Carnival website or from an office person at Carnival saying this is policy, then you are just disagreeing to disagree.

feel free to back up your opinion from an actual source.

I care more about the final result. Do I have ice at all times? Do I have fresh towels available or do I need to go hunt them down? Is my room clean? If the quality of the end product is sufficient that's fine with me. Comfort Matters is supposed to be about tailoring the experience to what the guest wants and expects. If Carnival can't provide the quality experience they always have whether they touch the cabin once, twice, or 10 times a day I'd have to assess my options at that point.

I care more about the final result. Do I have ice at all times? Do I have fresh towels available or do I need to go hunt them down? Is my room clean? If the quality of the end product is sufficient that's fine with me. Comfort Matters is supposed to be about tailoring the experience to what the guest wants and expects. If Carnival can't provide the quality experience they always have whether they touch the cabin once, twice, or 10 times a day I'd have to assess my options at that point.

to a point, i agree. i have changed many service providers over my lifetime because they did not deliver on what they promised. but i also understand that things change and if carnival changes to where the standard is once a day service in the cabin then there is no reason to cut the tips just because they changed the level of service. ice cream used to be in half gallon containers and that was the standard for a long time. they then changed to 1.5 quarts as being the standard. does anyone really expect to go to the counter and pay 25 percent less because they are receiving less. no. same with this change if it happens fleetwide. one does retain the right to take their business elsewhere but to cut the tips because one doesn't like the change in standards is ludicrous at best. and as i said before, this excuse, like so many other excuses, is the best reason to make the tips mandatory and nonadjustable but if that ever happens i'm sure someone will scream bloody murder over that standard being changed as well.

to a point, i agree. i have changed many service providers over my lifetime because they did not deliver on what they promised. but i also understand that things change and if carnival changes to where the standard is once a day service in the cabin then there is no reason to cut the tips just because they changed the level of service. ice cream used to be in half gallon containers and that was the standard for a long time. they then changed to 1.5 quarts as being the standard. does anyone really expect to go to the counter and pay 25 percent less because they are receiving less. no. same with this change if it happens fleetwide. one does retain the right to take their business elsewhere but to cut the tips because one doesn't like the change in standards is ludicrous at best. and as i said before, this excuse, like so many other excuses, is the best reason to make the tips mandatory and nonadjustable but if that ever happens i'm sure someone will scream bloody murder over that standard being changed as well.

Ice cream analogy aside, the guest retains the right to alter the tips at their own discretion. This is not news and it is not a fact that Carnival attempts to hide in any way at all.

Personally, I prefer to base my discretion on the quality of services received, not quantity of services. If I receive poor service I'm not going to pay the same as I would for good quality service. This applies universally in any situation where part of my payment is discretionary. Since I'd *prefer* good service over cost savings, I'd try to reasonably rectify the service issues first. As I've said before, if you don't tell management they can't correct the problem. If management is unable or unwilling to correct the quality issues I will have to assess my options which include modifying my gratuity up to and including simply taking my business elsewhere. Sometimes you just can't make a square peg fit a round hole.

If you prefer to pay the same no matter what quality of service you receive you are entitled to hold that opinion. You aren't wrong to have your own value set. I just disagree with it. I'll pay above the average rate for great service, and I'll pay below the average rate for poor service. I'll pay the average rate for services that meet expectations. A company reducing their standards being a great argument to make a tip mandatory? Huh? All it says to me is a company knows that they are not delivering a quality product to people and does not care about it's paying guests.

If it is really Carnivals intention to reduce the standards of service, why would they even have a Comfort Matters card that allows a guest to tailor the services they wish to receive? Aren't the two ideas in direct conflict with one another?

Edited by LMaxwell