Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

what would it matter if people can remove their tips as they see fit :confused:

That ability has been in existence as long as tipping has been around. It's inherant to the business.

But the only tip you have to worry about is your own.

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

Do people here tip the same at Denny's as they do at Mortons? No way. Why not? Both people do the same job. So why do people in $500 Inside Cabins have to pay the same tip as those in $2000 balcony cabins? Proportionately speaking the inside cabin pays a much higher percentage in tips than the balcony cabin. This fact is always overlooked or dismissed. How come a cruise is one of the few places where a tip is fixed and not tied to the cost of the cruise or quality of the service?

If Carnival won't allow its staff to provide guests with the level of service that the guest expects, the staff are probably going to make less money over time. That's not revenge, that's just the way the world works. When they realize they can make more money with a different employer they will switch jobs. Or, for more or less the same money, the guest will go to a different line that better meets their needs.

I wonder if anyone on this thread is going to stand at guest services and try to listen in and start fights? Sure seems that way...

Let's propose to John Heald that tipping be 15% of the cabin price. That would seem to be more fair, no?

No I don't think so. All the cabins are relatively the same size plus or minus a few square feet with the exception of suites and now they do pay more for their gratuities. Could it be because their rooms are larger or because of the "enhanced" perks? I don't know but I'm fine with the way it is. I eat just as much as someone that stays in a balcony so why should they pay more (I get Insides or OVs)? I require the same amount of towels, and my bed is made the same way as other cabins, so why should I pay less? The service is the same no matter which cabin you have with the exception of suites. And now they do pay more.

The resort fees at hotels that charge them are the same no matter what type of room you are in as well. I don't think it should be tied to the fare.

If it was tied to the fare, it would be prohibitively expensive for a lot of folks. Not a move that a budget, entry level cruise line is likely to make.

Just floating an idea. For many in interiors and OV's if it was set at 15% it would actually be a cost savings. Typically I find the current gratuity amounts to be closer to 18-25% of my cruise cost.

It would cost those in more expensive rooms more though as many times when I compute balcony and suites it comes out currently in the 6% to 12% range when doing mock bookings.

Like I said, only an idea.

Just floating an idea. For many in interiors and OV's if it was set at 15% it would actually be a cost savings. Typically I find the current gratuity amounts to be closer to 18-25% of my cruise cost.

It would cost those in more expensive rooms more though as many times when I compute balcony and suites it comes out currently in the 6% to 12% range when doing mock bookings.

Like I said, only an idea.

I'm not one to try and complicate things. The simpler the better. If I'm thinking about booking a cruise then I look at the fare with taxes and all that then automatically add in the gratuities since I already know what they will be. Then I decide whether it makes sense for me to choose that sailing or not. Making it a percentage of the fare just muddies up the whole process IMHO.

I know that with this way that I would probably save money, but like I've said before - I don't look at gratuities as a punishment that I must pay. It's simply a service charge that is part of the fare and not negotiable just like the taxes and port fees. Almost all the time I give extra cash to those that take great care of me.

IF, and it's unlikely to happen, ALL of the cruise lines would agree to include gratuities, fees and taxes into the prices that they quote, it would make it easier to compare across the board and there would be no surprises. But, that will probably never happen because it's much more fun to see a price of $99.99 for a world cruise, and then find out that after all the hidden fees are added, you end up paying $39,000 for the cruise. Like Ebay sellers used to be notorious for selling a set of 4 Michelin tires for 99¢ and then charging $799 for shipping.

IF, and it's unlikely to happen, ALL of the cruise lines would agree to include gratuities, fees and taxes into the prices that they quote, it would make it easier to compare across the board and there would be no surprises. But, that will probably never happen because it's much more fun to see a price of $99.99 for a world cruise, and then find out that after all the hidden fees are added, you end up paying $39,000 for the cruise. Like Ebay sellers used to be notorious for selling a set of 4 Michelin tires for 99¢ and then charging $799 for shipping.

I think it's better to see the whole picture upfront with the fare, taxes/port fees, and gratuities in one bill and all paid beforehand vs the first three and then the big surprise on your S&S bill. Especially for first time cruisers that no one mentioned gratuities to.

I think it could work in Carnival's favor by doing it that way. They could advertise "No extra/hidden fees" vs the competition. If they were put on after you select your cruise fare in the section with the taxes/port fees, the fare would still appear low but the true total amount due would show at the end. It would benefit both sides.

I admit I like a good tipping thread almost as much as a smoking thread! I've said it before but I'll say it again...IF carnival ever went to a once a day cabin service (highly doubtful) I wouldn't touch my prepaid tips because I treat it as a cost to cruise. I wouldn't however, tip extra as we normally do (typically $20.00 for a seven day cruise).

We cruised on the Dream (one of the so-called "Test" ships for the once a day service) in April of this year and checked both AM and PM for service and that was exactly what we got with no push back from the steward.

I think it's better to see the whole picture upfront with the fare, taxes/port fees, and gratuities in one bill and all paid beforehand vs the first three and then the big surprise on your S&S bill. Especially for first time cruisers that no one mentioned gratuities to.

I think it could work in Carnival's favor by doing it that way. They could advertise "No extra/hidden fees" vs the competition. If they were put on after you select your cruise fare in the section with the taxes/port fees, the fare would still appear low but the true total amount due would show at the end. It would benefit both sides.

Not going to happen. Price is the biggest single factor when choosing a cruise. Consumers are not going to read the fine print any more than they read "stickies".

There are fees and taxes outside of Carnival's control and always a chance of fuel surcharges coming back at some point. Carnival can't guarantee (or shouldn't), that the price won't change. That would be another competitive disadvantage.

Not going to happen. Price is the biggest single factor when choosing a cruise. Consumers are not going to read the fine print any more than they read "stickies".

There are fees and taxes outside of Carnival's control and always a chance of fuel surcharges coming back at some point. Carnival can't guarantee (or shouldn't), that the price won't change. That would be another competitive disadvantage.

You're right. And that's why if they still advertised cruises at $199 pp or whatever they are then the fare is still the same. Then when you go to book all the taxes/port fees are added in now as it stands. They never advertise the final price of fare/taxes/port fees anyway. If the gratuities were in that section then they would still advertise the $199 pp fare. Only when you check out, the taxes/port fees are now taxes/port fees/gratuities.

A lot of people wouldn't know the difference and wouldn't compare the total bottom line price between cruise lines anyway. They strictly look at the pp fare when deciding.

This way is much better than thinking it's "x" amount and paying it only to find you now have an additional $90 and some change pp on a 7 day cruise that gets tacked on to your S&S account. I would hate to be blindsided with that. Most wouldn't even bat an eye if it was paid upfront.

Well now that you bumped it to the top it's potentially going to gather some steam. It today's topic on JH's Facebook page.

Gotta just laugh at this... heck guess it better than a slap on the face... er, book.

Just had to explain to a almost first-time cruiser (they have a certificate to cruise) about "tips" and other "fees"... you should have seen the look! Priceless... figuring out a budget to cruise and then finding out that it costs more that the ticket price. Who would thunk it?

Edited by bobsfamily