Not allowed to board

pajazz28

I was on the Adventure of the Seas when we had a bad outbreak of norovirus, and even though the forms were given out and filled in, the hotel director said there was still someone who was in the sick bay within an hour of setting off from Southampton, with Norovirus.

We did side to side cruises out of Pt. Everglades, got off Ruby Princess and immediately onto X Century at around 11am and was feeling fine. By suppertime I wasn't feeling well and a little later that evening went to the medical center. They thought I had a mild case of Norovirus as my condition and symptoms weren't really bad. I was given medication and quarantined to our cabin for a few day after which it cleared up. We cruise and travel a lot so I may be some what resistant to that virus but it can come on that quickly. It the only time I've had that problem on a cruises and I've done 51 with most in the last 12 years since retiring being longer, 10 night or more, or B2B ones. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

I agree, go to the doctor to see if she really does have the flu or if she's just getting a cold. If it's just a cold I would say do it. If it's the flu, she is going to be miserable and I'm sorry. I once threw up on the red eye on the way to FLL due to food poisoning. My dad filled out the medical card, I am certain he put NO for everything bc he was not going to risk me not getting to board.

I am currently on Anthem of the Seas. At dinner last night, the diners at the table next to me were coughing like crazy and blowing their noses. If contagious, they are jeopardizing a lot of other people's vacations! Last year, I sat next to someone that was very sick and ended up bedridden with the flu for the last two days of my cruise. I also missed work when I returned. If you're sick, please don't board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Having had the flu, I know on a cruise would be the LAST place I'd want to be! Your body HURTS, you have a fever, chills, and basically feel like you're dying. No way to spend a vacation! Flu can morph into pneumonia...and that can be life-threatening.

And, since Influenza is quite contagious, no...they will not let you board.

The actual chance of this being the flu is just so low. People always think they have "the flu" when they have a bad cold. It's almost hilarious.

Gosh, people still somehow think that the "stomach flu" is influenza. Painful.

On my Dec 2014 cruise, there was an outbreak of norovirus early in the sailing. They were able to track down the original source, saw that they lied on the medical condition form, and kicked them off the cruise at the second port stop.

that's just about as hilarious as cold vs flu. One truly wonders how they tracked down "the source", like there wouldn't be multiple people boarding with belly symptoms, and that they realized they had lied, because, what, they are now the thought police?

Too funny.

The real joke is those forms. I don't know anyone who has cruised a lot who after paying for everything, flying in and possibly booking a hotel would actually answer YES on one of those forms. Not saying that's right, just saying that's just the way it is.

Please be honest on the heath form. If you have marked yes, you will receive a complimentary eval from a medical officer. If warranted perhaps having a fever, you may be isolated in your cabin and prescribed medications until your symptoms aside. It's for the safely of all guest and crew members. Remember, everyone is so vulnerable in catching a illness from one person to another. We all use the same elevator buttons, stairway rails, menus and other things on the ship.

I had posted the message because in my area there seems to be an outbreak of the flu and my wife starting feeling sick a couple of days ago. So I was concern it could turn into the flu. Also when I posted this message I was not aware that my wife has gotten a flu shot. Great new she is feeling better and she went to the doctor and it is no the flu just a cold. She has medicine and we are ready to go. Thank you for your advice.

I had posted the message because in my area there seems to be an outbreak of the flu and my wife starting feeling sick a couple of days ago. So I was concern it could turn into the flu. Also when I posted this message I was not aware that my wife has gotten a flu shot. Great new she is feeling better and she went to the doctor and it is no the flu just a cold. She has medicine and we are ready to go. Thank you for your advice.

Great news.

I am currently on Anthem of the Seas. At dinner last night, the diners at the table next to me were coughing like crazy and blowing their noses. If contagious, they are jeopardizing a lot of other people's vacations! Last year, I sat next to someone that was very sick and ended up bedridden with the flu for the last two days of my cruise. I also missed work when I returned. If you're sick, please don't board.

And then when the waiters sing and dance everyone waves their napkins in the air sprewing all kinds of germs around. Oh how I hate that practice and cover my face when people start up with the waving.

Great news!! Have a great cruise!

On my Dec 2014 cruise, there was an outbreak of norovirus early in the sailing. They were able to track down the original source, saw that they lied on the medical condition form, and kicked them off the cruise at the second port stop.

Sorry I don't believe this. There is no way they would have been able to determine the one person out of thousands that brought it on board. And it could have been someone from a previous cruise or a crew member that got it from a guest on a previous cruise. There is no way to know where it originated.

And how exactly would they have proved they lied? That person could have been feeling fine when they boarded and symptoms could have shown up later. And I absolutely do not believe they kicked someone off the ship.

I feel like stuff like this is posted to scare people into compliance.

Edited by BeachChik

The real joke is those forms. I don't know anyone who has cruised a lot who after paying for everything, flying in and possibly booking a hotel would actually answer YES on one of those forms. Not saying that's right, just saying that's just the way it is.

Totally agree. If I remember correctly, they ask some fairly broad questions. If I remember correctly, they ask something like if you've had diarrhea in the past few days (week?).. Well, we've all been sick a few times with a bad case, but let's say you ate spicy Mexican the night before, and the morning was not pleasant.. no way in heck is anyone going to put YES to the question on the form. Yes, I totally understand the purpose of the question - but I suspect most people aren't truthful - just because of the HUGE problems if they were not allowed to board.

Woohoo!!!! Enjoy your cruise!

And then when the waiters sing and dance everyone waves their napkins in the air sprewing all kinds of germs around. Oh how I hate that practice and cover my face when people start up with the waving.

I agree!! Lol! Two nights ago, one of the "coughers" blew his nose on the dinner napkin. I thought, "I hope they burn that!"

Edited by newatt_now

Awesome enjoy your cruise.

Now I have heard it all....why bother with vacation except on a deserted island.

The actual chance of this being the flu is just so low. People always think they have "the flu" when they have a bad cold. It's almost hilarious.

Gosh, people still somehow think that the "stomach flu" is influenza. Painful.

that's just about as hilarious as cold vs flu. One truly wonders how they tracked down "the source", like there wouldn't be multiple people boarding with belly symptoms, and that they realized they had lied, because, what, they are now the thought police?

Too funny.

Actually, the risk is high. The amount of positives we've had for Flu Type A in the past 3 weeks has sky rocketed. Yes, the majority of these patients had their vaccination. We thought they got the vaccine right this year, but either it's showing up late, people are getting vaccinated too early, or another strain has made it's appearance.

FYI...the majority of my patients that have tested positive have had low grade fever, cough, sore throat, body aches and nasal congestion.

Where do you live? I'm in NC and we are seeing so much flu. I'm so glad that your wife tested negative and is feeling better! We cruise in 3 more weeks and I'm so afraid I'm going to get sick. I'm hoping that by constantly being in contact with all of these sick patients, that I have built up resistance to everything going around. I had to hold a bucket for a patient the other day while he was puking. It got on my clothes and I honestly thought about just rubbing on my face to get it over with so I could be better before our cruise. (Just kidding....I would never do that)