how to carry on sodas

PTAngel

We are cruising on Carnival for the first time in 16 days. Bringing on sodas is new for us.

I have read on here that each person is entitled to carry on 1 12 pack of 12 oz sodas.

I also read that it was suggested to carry these in sight & not inside a carry on bag.

It also looks like a suggestion to bring sodas in a six pack or a case where the can is visible & not in a carton as security may tear the box apart & then you have to carry these loose cans.

Am I understanding this correctly? We are leaving out of Baltimore. We will be using a folding luggage cart so no where to put all these loose cans for 2 people (24 cans).

We are being dropped off by family so no flight, hotel or shuttle if that makes a difference.

Edited by PTAngel

I think my main concern is will they tear open the boxes & leave all those cans loose? I will try to remember to bring a grocery bag with me just in case, but I think that is a very rude thing to do since their website says you can bring a box of canned soda & no mention of opening it.

They will seriously rip open the case of soda? :eek: What are you supposed to do with 24 individual cans of soda, that they've just ripped the case open on? I guess it's another thing I have to plan for...a fold up grocery bag "in case" they decide to rip the case open...

Just seems kind of like overkill, no? :confused:

I've always brought sealed 12 packs with us, strapped to the top of a suitcase...never had them tear one open. My fool coworker, however, tried sneaking a few beers inside a case of Coke (opened it and glued the carton shut again). Of course he was busted.

If they do open yours, they won't just leave you hanging with a bunch of loose cans, they'll tape it for you. ;)

Most of the claimed "horror" stories are from months ago when the policy was newly changed.

The policy has been in place for months now, the screeners are used to it by now.

In January, at Port Canaveral, I walked right through security with three 12 packs of soda cans in a reusable fabric grocery bag (4 of us cruising) and they didn't even give my soda a glancing look.

No need to worry, you will be fine.

Picture this: Two years ago, I was planning on taking a 12 pack of Pepsi on board. My self and my friends had just been dropped off at the port by our hotel shuttle. I had the Pepsi carton sitting on top of my carry on. I really don't know what exactly happened but all I remember is the carton falling off my carry on and hitting the ground, splitting open and cans flying everywhere. Four of the cans exploded and there was Pepsi spraying all over everything, including me.

After the fireworks ended, my friends helped me clean up the mess and I found a plastic bag and put five of the remaining cans in it and a friend put 3 cans in a bag he was carrying on. ..... Now moving on to check in. I'm standing at the counter with my cabinmate. I have the plastic bag with the five cans sitting, once again, on top of my carry on. ( I bet you can guess what happened). The plastic bag slid off my carry on and hit the floor. This time three of the cans exploded but .... instead of me getting sprayed again.... the lady next to me checking in got the full force of the spray. We just stood there looking at each other. All I could do was apologize and try to clean up the mess. When my friend tried to pick up one of the cans, it rolled and started spraying the poor lady again. The only good thing I can think of is that most of the spray both times hit her lower legs and she did have on shorts.

So by the time I got my 12 pack of Pepsi on the ship I only have 5 cans, my two remaining cans and the three my friend carried on.

Moral of the story.... be careful how you carry cans of Pop/Soda onto the ship. I now bring a small cooler.

We are travelling with 8 of us, and I have filled up a rolling suitcase with 5 dozen cans. (This should be almost exactly 50 lbs). The only thing in it is the softdrinks, so it will also be the extra suitcase to bring things home in.

Great way to get them onboard. The 50 pounds doesn't matter because you are carrying them on not checking them.

As to those that comment about security opening the carton, that is because too many folks pack beer in-between the soft drinks. Some ports are nice about taping the carton shut, other ports not so much.

When we take wine or soft drinks we use a rolling duffel. Pack the heavy stuff near the wheels and you will good to go. Like Joeyjpaul we have the space in the duffel for other goodies on the return trip.

We also bring a fridge pack that has not been torn open yet. The staff usually inspects the box to see if it has been taped back or anything and then they will open it up and remove a couple of cans to be sure. However, they open just the part like you would at home, so you can set the cans right back in the box and carry it carefully through the rest of check-in. It isn't perfect but it works and I am thankful they let us bring cokes on board at all. I have never had them tear anything open and had it all messed up where I couldn't easily put my drinks back in there.

How many beers can we carry on? We dont drinks soda pops.

0 :) Sorry.

"A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage."

Edited by Dora the Ex

Get a small soft-sided cooler that will hold 12 cans. Just make sure it's within the 12"x12"x12"guideline. Carry that on with your cans in it.

Mine was never opened going through security.

Also, we then used the cooler as our ice bucket for the duration of our cruise. The room steward filled it every day with new ice.