Slow Roll Calls?

The last three roll calls I have been in sailing from Australia have had very low numbers and are very slow. Is this just in the Princess roll calls or are others such as celebrity and royal as slow? The roll call I had for the Emerald sailing in Europe was amazing and in nearly every port there were private shared tours organised.

There are a lot of Facebook users now so I guess that could account for it but it's making it difficult to organise private tours not only because there is a lack of people to share them but also because the knowledge about tour operators is lacking.

It seems short cruises the Roll Call is almost non existent.

But then there aren't that many Aussies active on these boards anyway (and visitors are more likely to be found on longer cruises)so it's really no surprise

'm on a Princess one at the moment with about 5 members (but it's a seven day cruise) and most are doing b2bs.

I have experienced both very active roll calls & not so active on Royal & Celebrity.

My upcoming VOS roll call is quite flat - but always good to go along & meet people as you never know who you may click with or who has some new info for the ports etc.:)

Cruise critic is basically made up with the majority of Americans and as such is more useful for Aussies travelling abroad. CC is relatively unknown in Australia and as such a much lower percentage of cruisers use it. Then take into account the fact that most aussies who cruise also have been to many of the ports that local cruises go to so do not need information, that really only leaves fellowship as the main reason for a roll call and FB is taking that roll. Cruise lines actively encourage this by sending invites to join fb pages for particular cruises.

Some good points.

Cruise lines actively encourage this by sending invites to join fb pages for particular cruises.

Princess stopped this, I believe due to the fact that people were getting together and organising their own tours together instead of buying ships excursions but someone more optimistic thought it was due to peoples privacy and security of passengers homes while away. :p

Some good points.

Princess stopped this, I believe due to the fact that people were getting together and organising their own tours together instead of buying ships excursions but someone more optimistic thought it was due to peoples privacy and security of passengers homes while away. :p

They may be right either way.

Agreed, the Euro roll calls are quite active.

Local Celebrity and especially RCL roll calls are more quiet. I believe it's because there are fewer travellers from o/s, and more locals on board, so there's less knowledge needed about the local ports - they're well covered.

Whereas there are fewer Europeans on here, so there's still a fair bit of activity from others going there. Not as many Americans come all the way out here, so there's less activity (more travellers on Celebrity than RCl though).

There has been a demise in roll call participation in my time here. Nowadays, the further away from Australia you are heading to and/or the longer the cruise are prerequisites for buzzing roll calls.

It's difficult organising even a small group tour with low participation.

Start one and see if there are any takers.:D

If I decide to book I will.

A this stage it's just CAN we, and I had a sticky to see who else was going.

But as I said earlier I reckon that there are only about 25 Aussies that post here regularly, so any Aussie cruise, especially a shorter one, isn't likely to have many CC members.

It seems that those flying for 29+ hourse want to do a longer cruise.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you that you can't mention FB on CC so be prepared.

These are the guidelines in regards to FB.

Cruise Critic loves Facebook. in fact, we maintain FB pages for all of our sites (Cruise Critic, CruiseCritic.co.uk, our Australia site, etc.). We have many people who participate on both our FB page and our message boards. We have no issues with people linking their own, personal FB pages in their profiles, or on your signature on Cruise Critic forums. You understand that doing so allows our members to know your "real life" name.

ROLL CALLS created on FB are not anonymous. Most of them are open to the public. Even if they are private groups, once you are accepted into the group everyone will know your real name. In doing so you have pretty much told all those people -- strangers -- when you will be away on vacation. The fact of the matter is most people do not understand how much personal information they are sharing.

On Cruise Critic roll calls, everyone is anonymous. You have the ability to remain as anonymous as you'd like throughout the entire Roll Call timeframe and throughout your entire cruise if you so desire. You can be JoeCruise101 until the day you disembark. The choice is yours, you share as much or as little as YOU choose to; everyone starts out on a level playing field on Cruise Critic. Anonymous user names only.

Also, FB Roll Calls have already proven to divide Roll Calls. People, for whatever reason, who cannot seem to get along may open a FB group and then want more people to participate, so they harvest members from the original ROLL CALL. There have been actual disruptions encouraged on FB directed towards our ROLL CALLs.

We believe a ROLL CALL created on Cruise Critic should stay here. We've worked long and hard to create this community, and have provided a certain level of trust and privacy for our members. If they choose to participate in a FB Roll Call, they'll have to learn about it somewhere other than Cruise Critic.

We request that you not solicit people to your Facebook page on any of our ROLL CALLS.