UBP raised to $79 per day

jmele999

Can't say I'm really surprised to see the price going up when I read on another thread people saying that 15 drinks in a given day doesn't cover their needs. Based on my recent experience these unlimited drinks packages are seriously impacting the atmosphere onboard. I'm not a big drinker but I'm also far from a being prohibitionist - there were just far more people "over served" on my past two cruises than on all the previous combined.

On the Jewel I even overheard a conversation between two well lubricated gents loudly describing how they had to drink like "MF-ers" from dawn to dusk just to "break even". Unfortunately they didn't care that my 3 year old and 5 year old heard their colourful language either.

It's clearly out of control and until someone gets seriously injured or falls overboard its not going to change. I don't know about the US but in Canada our servers must cut customers off or they can be charged along with the business.

NCL is doing some serious market experimentation that could burn them if they're not careful.

I have purchased UBP three times. I've had it promo'd twice. Personally, I'm not a buyer @ $93 pp/pd. Perhaps its just a gag to up the "value" of the promo'd UBP to collect more Grat/SC -- which is also kinda crappy.

I think that's the answer. At $93 per person, one drink at a time, you're basically talking about someone who would have to drink 8 or 9 drinks a day to make it worthwhile. Or, for beers, a dozen per day. There may be a few people like that -- and NCL will be happy to take an extra $10 per day from them. But really I think this is just about setting the base for the "free" UBP. They probably are breaking even or even profiting just from this supposed "18 percent" surcharge. It's now up to $200 per week per cabin for everyone who picks the "free" beverages. My guess is that the bump from advertising "free" booze, plus the $200 per week per cabin, far exceeds the revenue they could hope to make if they sold the beverage package for a price that anyone would actually pay.

It's complete play money at this point. I mean, if they jacked the price of the package up to $200 per day, so that every cabin of 2 had to pay $72 per day for "free" beverages, would anyone seriously think the number "18 percent" had anything to do with reality or that anything actually was "free"? Of course not. I guess they've figured that $79 is still close enough to something that someone would theoretically pay that they aren't going to suffer any blowback for what's pretty clearly deceptive marketing.

Glad I only cruise inside and don't get offered the freebies!! If my wife and I were to take the Drinks Package (or get the "free" drinks on the SKY") NCL would do very well out of us having to pay the 18%.

But… they are offering the perks to insides at the moment (it's pick 1, not pick 2, but still). You don't have to choose the UBP, but they are offering you one freebie. Does that make you less glad now? :confused:
Just an FYI -- I tried a mock booking online and the UBP choice for non-suites is still only adding a gratuity and service charge based on the $69 package price. (In other words, on a 7-day cruise, it's still showing up as $173.88 instead of $199.08.) Could change at any time, I imagine.
It won't change before Monday, I guess, since the current promo has the service charges hard-wired into the terms. But I expect that they will update things for the next version of the promo, which will presumably start March 1 (at this point they can never stop offering the promo, unless they want to see bookings drop instantly to zero).

Can't say I'm really surprised to see the price going up when I read on another thread people saying that 15 drinks in a given day doesn't cover their needs. Based on my recent experience these unlimited drinks packages are seriously impacting the atmosphere onboard. I'm not a big drinker but I'm also far from a being prohibitionist - there were just far more people "over served" on my past two cruises than on all the previous combined.

On the Jewel I even overheard a conversation between two well lubricated gents loudly describing how they had to drink like "MF-ers" from dawn to dusk just to "break even". Unfortunately they didn't care that my 3 year old and 5 year old heard their colourful language either.

Maybe back when you paid for the UBP only those that were used to drinking purchased the UBP and if they drank an extra few more than normal it did not change their behaviour. If you have someone who drinks one or two drinks a night drinking a few more then their behaviour is more apt to change in my experience ( from attending family functions ).:)

at the time i booked haven, the drink pack would have a 'list price' of about 1100 bucks. i do wish i could reduce the price of the spa room by 1100 and pay cash for all drinks but that option was nowhere to be found :)

when was this program started. id love to see historical haven prices without the free drinks

When they first introduced these bigger perk packages it was called the all inclusive option. I think it was in 2014. For a 7 day cruise it was around $700 and included dsc, the old udp, the UBP, waters delivered to stateroom, pictures, chocolate strawberries, bingo and 10% off cruise fare. So essentially it was free for suites and became more expensive the lower the cruise fare. Since inception it has been around in some form or another.

Prior to these perks I was able to book a two bedroom haven suite Alaska sailing on the Pearl for less than half what they sell for now. Not sure what historical prices are though.

Yup, me too.

Next up is Jewel in April. It's the last time I will ever see pricing like this: $1749 pp, SF PH suite w/ UBP, UDP, ShoreX credit, free DSC. I think that one was booked early or mid 2015 as well.

After that... Princess.

After that...?!? We'll see.

We got a deal on our deluxe owner's suite ($1849 pp) on our upcoming cruise on the Dawn, and includes the UBP, the old UDP, free DSC, and $200 OBC. I don't think that we are ever going to see that again. We also got the 5% AARP discount and some cashback from our credit card. I love the old NCL.

Edited by jmele999

In my opinion it can't go up high enough to put up with the crap we saw on Breakaway In Jan.

People don't even leave the ship to support local economies because they get all they want on-board. Let it go to $100 or even $200 per day.:p

I hope ours isn't like that in November. also does 'anyone' really buy this drink package? hasn't this deal. (even one freebee for insides I think?) been going on forever ?

I gotta say if I truly put out 1200 bucks id drink a ton more than normal

NCL prices for everything are going insane. On our roll call for our Alaska cruise people are saying the same cabin on the same week with last year and same people have gone from $7500 to $15000 so tell me that's not a greedy NCL? Double the price? Really? Makes me say huh? So drink prices, restaurant prices are not surprising to me after seeing that cabin hike (yes I'm talking about a suite)

We got a deal on our deluxe owner's suite ($1849 pp) on our upcoming cruise on the Dawn, and includes the UBP, the old UDP, free DSC, and $200 OBC. I don't think that we are ever going to see that again. We also got the 5% AARP discount and some cashback from our credit card. I love the old NCL.

And they have changed the dining package to 3/4 days on a 7 days cruise, plus have limited you to one app, entree and dessert. This hardly comes near the booze package in value or when they introduced this promos the dining package was for length of cruise.:rolleyes:

Surely some of the C's do know a thing or two about F&B markups (a/k/a "pour cost", of which the standard is 1.5 oz - more or less - per serving for hard liquor) - alcohol sales are considered among the profitable, just ask someone in the "business" - hey, NCL is aiming to make a profit, and as long as the drinking crowds are happy ...

By setting a mandatory 18% gratitudes, NCL virtually covered their liquor costs in full (or almost) if you think about it for a brief moment - I dare to say speculatively :eek: :rolleyes: - with the appearance of promotional giveaways ... and bumping up the overall cruise prices, and stopped offering any sorts of OBC directly themselves since early 2015 (aside from those given by one's own TA's, if using them)

Count us out on taking the "beverage" promotion with NCL - but, I'm happy for those cruising with a "buzz" day and night, getting their money's worth ... right, think again. ;)

Wish NCL would rethink their business model. UBP means nothing to us...we don't drink. I would rather see an ala carte menu of options rather than higher prices that reflect these freebies which as we all know are not free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by watchdiva

They need to include specialty coffee and bottled water in the package if the prices are going to continue to be predatory.

Also, do you think ncl would ever limit the booze package to only sea days? That way when you are in port your booze package is turned off until that nights sail away that way you have incentive to get off the ship and drink at the local establishments? For popular places like Carlos and Charlie's .. Margaritaville.. Applebee's etc they have to be feeling the pinch of lost revenue due to the cruise ships coming in to port but no one getting off because the drinks on board are free. Why get off and find a bar when there are free drinks on the ship?

Could you imagine if the bartenders actually got all of the 18 % gratuity? Wow I would quit my job tomorrow and go to cruise school for an associates degree. There prob isn't a 4 year degree option.. Or maybe take some night classes.. Or just enroll online for a while .. Ahh maybe I will just stay at the carpet factory.. I know everyone there and I'm real comfortable in my limitations.. Maybe someday I would think about it. Lol

They need to include specialty coffee and bottled water in the package if the prices are going to continue to be predatory.

Also, do you think ncl would ever limit the booze package to only sea days? That way when you are in port your booze package is turned off until that nights sail away that way you have incentive to get off the ship and drink at the local establishments? For popular places like Carlos and Charlie's .. Margaritaville.. Applebee's etc they have to be feeling the pinch of lost revenue due to the cruise ships coming in to port but no one getting off because the drinks on board are free. Why get off and find a bar when there are free drinks on the ship?

Could you imagine if the bartenders actually got all of the 18 % gratuity? Wow I would quit my job tomorrow and go to cruise school for an associates degree. There prob isn't a 4 year degree option.. Or maybe take some night classes.. Or just enroll online for a while .. Ahh maybe I will just stay at the carpet factory.. I know everyone there and I'm real comfortable in my limitations.. Maybe someday I would think about it. Lol

Some of us still cruise to see the ports, lie on a beach, learn to paddle board and the list could go on. :) Personally if all I wanted to do on my vacation was get some sun and drink I would wait for summer buy a cooler, some ice and some beer and pitch a tent in my backyard and call it vacation. Shocking to read that folks are staying on board to drink instead of enjoying the islands but it's their vacation so to each his/her own I guess.

Some of us still cruise to see the ports, lie on a beach, learn to paddle board and the list could go on. :) Personally if all I wanted to do on my vacation was get some sun and drink I would wait for summer buy a cooler, some ice and some beer and pitch a tent in my backyard and call it vacation. Shocking to read that folks are staying on board to drink instead of enjoying the islands but it's their vacation so to each his/her own I guess.

Agreed.. That is still the only reason my dw and ds cruise... It's to see the world .. I guess in my review of the breakaway on 3/6 to 3/13 I will make sure I take notice... I may even take some pics of my fellow passengers who are chair hogging that way we can put them on blast!!! I hope people don't just sit on the ship and get wasted... That would be a waste.

Wish NCL would rethink their business model. UBP means nothing to us...we don't drink. I would rather see an ala carte menu of options rather than higher prices that reflect these freebies which as we all know are not free.

For a non drinker or occasional drinker in a suite it is very apparent how much extra you are paying for all the perks that won't be used. If they threw in a bone such as water bottles, a speciality coffee, can of soda at least they would be giving the non drinking customer something.

It's insulting to be, "given" a beverage perk that is valued at almost $100 pp pd and then have to pay for a speciality coffee, can of soda, water bottle, juice and potentially all drinks consumed plus an additional 18% because they are excluded from your, "free" "ULTIMATE" beverage package. Not really anything,"ultimate" for a non drinker or occasional drinker about the UBP. They really should just label it as the $14.22 pp pd alcohol and soda from a gun package perk.

The whole business model seems to be going down the tubes. I am outraged that they would be charging $79 per day + gratuities. I have a promo for UBP and have $80.63 in service charges and it seems roughly 8 or 9 drinks would be the break even point.

I almost think this is where they are now trying to get back all of the promo costs- in essence subsidize the promo people from people who are paying for the increased UBP charge. What do they care? Its a business

Just read on another thread that the UBP is now $79 per day. For those who have to pay gratuities, that is an additional $1.80 per day. It does not seem like a lot, but the cost has now been increased from $64 to $79 in less than 2 months. For a seven day cruise, the gratuities are now $99.54, which is not a lot considering the free drinks, but it is the principle of offering a "free" drink package and increasing the cost to increase gratuities.

Wow seriously? You REALLY thin they raised the price of the UBP just so they could get more in gratuities? Some people need to learn to pick their battles is all I can say. Either that or it is a fact that some people just look for a reason to complain. :rolleyes:

Wow seriously? You REALLY thin they raised the price of the UBP just so they could get more in gratuities? Some people need to learn to pick their battles is all I can say. Either that or it is a fact that some people just look for a reason to complain. :rolleyes:

Huh? The 18% is just a tax/revenue ploy. The bartenders have said they never receive it as a tip and a bartender on my recent cruise told me he also does not see any extra $ added to a sales slip as a tip. The increase to $79 is just a way for NCL to get more $ up front when "selling" the popular UBP promo. Tsk, Tsk.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Huh? The 18% is just a tax/revenue ploy. The bartenders have said they never receive it as a tip and a bartender on my recent cruise told me he also does not see any extra $ added to a sales slip as a tip. The increase to $79 is just a way for NCL to get more $ up front when "selling" the popular UBP promo. Tsk, Tsk.

Exactly. The price raises of UBP are only to raise service charges on promo packages - with already outrageous cabin prices nobody in their right mind would book NCL and pay retail for the UBP that is now the most expensive of all mass market cruise lines and has major limitations compared to competitors' packages up to $20pppd cheaper.

Edited by Demonyte

People cruise to enjoy relaxing and getting away. Im sorry you dont drink so the UBP doesnt help at all, but there is plenty of food in the lido deck buffet to stuff your face.....All these bull posts about price increasing and BLAH BLAH BLAH....ITS A CRUISE!!!!! Not grandmas cottage where all the food and drinks are payed by grandma. Its getting expensive now cause of cheap people that dont tip or sneak things on the ship......Getting OLD!!!!!!

Exactly. The price raises of UBP are only to raise service charges on promo packages - with already outrageous cabin prices nobody in their right mind would book NCL and pay retail for the UBP that is now the most expensive of all mass market cruise lines and has major limitations compared to competitors' packages up to $20pppd cheaper.

I agree. On my NCL cruise last month I gave over $400 in cash tips to bartenders, room stewards, etc. They do not see any of the bulk ship service charges. Total scam - be sure to factor in all the extra expenses/tips on a NCL cruise.

Edited by herdingdogmom

I agree. On my NCL cruise last month I gave over $400 in cash tips to bartenders, room stewards, etc. They do not see any of the bulk ship service charges. Total scam - be sure to factor in all the extra expenses/tips on a NCL cruise.

That "factor in" total is called the "net daily rate." Look at all projected expenses (even airfare) and then compare NCL to more inclusive lines ( like it's newly related step-sister Oceania) and you may be amazed at how little more it costs to not be nickel/dimed to death (while also enjoying far better food and service).