How I Earned Delta Miles On a United Award Ticket

plane2port

If you are flying on an award ticket, and that ticket gets transferred to another airline during IRROPs, you may be able to earn miles on the new ticket.

We had award tickets on United Airlines, and due to bad weather our flight was cancelled. United got us seats on Delta flights, and we were issued new tickets with new ticket numbers.

When we got home, I applied for mileage credit on the Delta website using the Delta ticket numbers. We got the miles a few days later!

The details are in a blog post:

http://www.plane2port.com/how-i-earned-delta-skymiles-on-a-united-award-ticket/

If nothing else, the blog post emphasizes the practicality of flying in a day early for your cruise!

We had award tickets on United Airlines, and due to bad weather our flight was cancelled. United got us seats on Delta flights, and we were issued new tickets with new ticket numbers.

You were very lucky. When flights are canceled due to weather, the airlines really aren't under any obligation to do anything other than refund your ticket, because the cause of the cancellation is out of their control. I'm really surprised they rebooked you on another airline in this case.

You were very lucky. When flights are canceled due to weather, the airlines really aren't under any obligation to do anything other than refund your ticket, because the cause of the cancellation is out of their control. I'm really surprised they rebooked you on another airline in this case.

They usually try to book you on their own metal, or with one of their alliance partners. But if there is no availability, they will use other airlines with whom they have reciprocal agreements.

I would have to say that it is not an unusual occurrence.

They usually try to book you on their own metal, or with one of their alliance partners. But if there is no availability, they will use other airlines with whom they have reciprocal agreements.

When it's weather-related it is very unusual.

I have to agree. If a flight is canceled, the airline will definitely first try to rebook you rather than immediately issue a refund. Most people would prefer to get to their destination a little later than not at all. Most rebookings are definitely on their own airline or partners, but as you said, it can sometimes be on other airlines.

I have received miles when flying on an award ticket without any rebooking. It all really depends on lots of factors, almost all of which are out of the passenger's control.

I have to agree. If a flight is canceled, the airline will definitely first try to rebook you rather than immediately issue a refund. Most people would prefer to get to their destination a little later than not at all. Most rebookings are definitely on their own airline or partners, but as you said, it can sometimes be on other airlines.

I did not mean to imply that they refund you rather than rebook you. Of course they try to rebook you first, but when your flight is canceled you do have the option to just get a refund. My point was that when a flight is canceled due to weather (as opposed to something that is actually within the airline's control such as mechanical issues), their obligation doesn't generally extend to rebooking you on another airline, particularly a non-partner airline, and it would be extremely rare that they do so. :)

How do I get United miles when using a United award ticket??

Are you joking? No award ticket is supposed to earn miles. OP did not earn miles on her UA award ticket. UA purchased her a ticket on DL, and that purchased ticket earned miles.

Edited by 6rugrats

When it's weather-related it is very unusual.

That is surprising because when my flight was cancelled due to weather, AA put me on a Jetblue flight to get to my cruise on time (barely but made it). I thought that was common.

Meanwhile, when there was a 4.5 hour delay for maintenance in Vegas, AA refused to put me elsewhere.

That is surprising because when my flight was cancelled due to weather, AA put me on a Jetblue flight to get to my cruise on time (barely but made it). I thought that was common.

Meanwhile, when there was a 4.5 hour delay for maintenance in Vegas, AA refused to put me elsewhere.

As a general rule, airlines really don't like to endorse your ticket over to another airline and usually do so only as a last resort. If/when they do, it's more often when the cause of the delay/cancellation is something that is considered to be within their control, i.e. maintenance, crew issues etc. but again- they won't just do it willy nilly because a flight goes mechanical. If they can reaccommodate you on one of their own flights (or a partner flight) within a reasonable period of time, they will. When the cause of delay is not within their control, (weather!) they don't really have an obligation to go above and beyond so it's rare that they will put you on another airline in this instance. It happens though, just rarely.

• 7 months later...
Does anyone fly non-rev?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually I fly nonrev quite often. But I've only done it once to meet a cruise. It was in October and I got a great price on a Celebrity cruise from Bayonne to San Juan. I flew nonrev both ways! Usually if I have to be somewhere at a certain time I'll buy tickets or get an award ticket.