Traveling with medications

The only time I've ever been questioned about any medication was when it was a 30 day supply in a blister pack. This was in the Frankfort airport in Germany, I had to explain to the security agent what it was and what it was used for and he had to call his supervisor over to check it out. :eek: I've never been questioned by any TSA agent in the states for any medication.

The TSA did search me one time because I had a Kleenex in my pocket.:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

And a question for you about USA prescriptions are they still in bottles - that is rare in the UK ours are now in cardboard boxes so easy to pack (you can request a bottle for safety if you have young children).

Sadly yes, still in bottles.

I live in the US and take many prescription medications each day. I choose to comply with the TSA recommendation to transport prescriptions in the original pharmacy packaging, but 30 day bottles of each are very bulky. I found an independent local pharmacy that will blister pack my meds on an 8×11 or so card. Each card holds 4 doses a day, 7 days worth of meds. The card is virtually flat and very easy to pack. The pharmacy participates with my insurance (a large, well known plan) so my copay is no more than at a big chain pharmacy for standard packaging.

I hope that helps.

Vicki

Wow! I will have to ask my pharmacist about this. It would be a big help, especially for my kids. Of course, it doesn't help with all the non-prescription stuff, which makes up the bulk of what I take, but still...

For those flying and screened by the TSA. From the TSA web site.

=======================================================

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to security officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to facilitate the security process.

You may carry non-medically necessary liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

=====================================================

Keith

I have had TSA agents go thru everyone of my many medications on a couple of occasions. I keep them in the original containers when traveling just to avoid any issues or delays. Not sure that TSA agents know what each pill is supposed to look like, but they have definitely eyeballed each bottles label and its content.

Also as was said before some over the counter meds are not allowed in some countries. Additionally, some prescription meds, mostly narcotics, are not allowed in some of these countries even if you have a prescription.

I recommend using the bottles, even tho not required, just to avoid issues/delays.

I live in Costa Rica. All pills are in blister packs. They never have any type of label from the pharmacy, not even your name. They do not keep records at the pharmacy of what you take. I use day of the week pill boxes, but keep the original cardboard box the meds were in.....flattened out, but just in case I need to show what I have. I also bring my original Dr prescription. My meds are always with me in my carry on. Never had a problem, even with sniffing dogs at JFK, or any TSA agent.

I've taken as many as 30 pills a day for Crohn's and travelled with the pills in a weekly container with everything counted out. If I'm only on one or two different meds, I'll bring the bottle. Never been questioned. My biggest concern would be, like others have said, would be running out if you were ever delayed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This countries prisons are not full of people who failed to take their prescriptions in the original bottles. The TSA could care less if your medications are in a daily organizer or not. They are not looking for narcotics. It is their job to search for explosives, firearms, or any other weapon that could be a danger to the aircraft or flight crew. More and more people are using mail order pharmacies and get their medication in bottles with a 90 day supply. Who's going to carry around a big bottle like that. You can't get a smaller bottle from your local Walgreens because you didn't get it filled there. Just use a pill organizer and carry around a list of the prescriptions if you like. Now if your going to another country, like somewhere in the Middle East or Asia, that's a different story. Get that info from the state department or foreign ministers office from the country your going to. Many over the counter meds that are legal here, are not legal to have elsewhere. Don't rely on somebody on CC who had a friend, who's brother-in-law had a cousin, who's mom had a problem, because he called a TSA agent a jerk, and got a cavity search.

Actually they are also looking for narcotics. I got pulled out of line last year because I had a stainless steel water bottle in my carry on they could not see thru. The TSA agent told me they have specific things they look for each week and that week it was drugs smuggled in in water bottles. He went thru my entire bag and sent me on my way.

A

You do NOT need the containers. No one really cares about your meds. Now...if you're bringing great quantities of narcotics...leave them in the original bottle. You BP meds, or heart medications...put in a daily planner.

Bring original bottles for any controlled substances (pharmacist can tell you which are controlled).

The rest carry them in any way you desire.

Pharmacist here! A printout from the pharmacy doesn't hurt, and we can indeed provide smaller bottles if needed. Most retail pharmacies do not charge for this, though it may be a bit more trouble if you use a mail order pharmacy.

Usually, you'll be fine with basic noncontrolled medications in a daily planner, but it's not a bad idea to bring them in labeled bottles, and certainly pack some extra just in case. For controlled substances (pain medications, ADHD medications, etc), I'd highly recommend keeping them in a labeled container.

For chilled items like insulin, be sure the cold packs are solid while you're at the airport. It's best to use the brick type (the kind that don't liquefy as they warm up), as you may have to throw out liquefied or gel packs when they warm up. For insulin in particular, bring the box if the vial itself isn't labeled. For other liquid medications, ask the pharmacy for 2- or 3-oz labeled bottles to be on the safe side (they'll probably permit a larger bottle as long as it's labeled).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also a pharmacist here...I just wanted to add that most insulins are stable at room temperature for 28-30 days after opening, so cold packs aren't always needed. Check the storage labeling on the insulin box (or the literature that comes in the box) for your specific insulin or consult your community phamacist.

Edited by DonnaK

My script insurance is for an online pharmacy. They don't give smaller bottles. I put my meds in daily and linnets and put the papers from the pharmacy in the side pocket of my carry on.

I've never needed to answer any questions about my meds, whether flying or cruising. That includes entering Europe, Asia or Africa.

We are traveling by air and the cruise. I am on a significant amount of medications. (Around 20). I got a printout from the pharmacy on the medications I have refilled in the last 60 days.

I was talking to my son and he said that I may have to provide the actual prescription bottles for each medication.

Does anyone know for sure I need to bring all the bottles for either air travel or cruise travel??

If I do I will practically need a full carry on for all of them.

Thanks

I haven't read ahead, but I bet you've had a variety of answers. We have a good friend who is a retired TSA agent and he has always told me to carry the prescription bottle. I also have about 20 bottles and some come in boxes so these prescriptions will fill my carryon. Last November when we traveled to FLL, I also had to carry about 40 syringes of IV antibiotics and the assorted supplies for infusion. I was sure TSA would pull me aside when they saw all that liquid in syringes. NOT! I couldn't believe it. In the past, I was pulled aside by TSA in Amarillo, TX so they could check out my prescription bottles, but TSA in FLL sent me straight through with no hand check of my carryon. Go figure. One never knows so I would be safe and take the prescription bottles.

On our last cruise, I ended up in Medical w/ bronchitis, and they wanted all my prescriptions. Things went smoother after DH brought my bag of prescriptions. There were some problems w/ language. Once I got in with the doctor, he went through my bag again.

Edited by knittinggirl