Sanctuary vs. Vibe

mrobstad

On the Getaway there was a big bar, regular drink service and fresh fruit was given out plus cold towels.

It had a pretty young crowd the week we sailed. The Sanctuary has more of a spa atmosphere and guests of all ages. The staff will provide bar service and there is a $3.00 service charge for their menu items. We've always enjoyed it. There is more options for getting sun at Vibe. It's more of an open area but there are umbrellas and clam shells. On the Regal the best chairs to get sun were part of the cabanas which you rent. There is a lot of covering for those who do not want direct sun.

NCL Vibe is larger and more seating. We've literally ran to the Sanctuary to purchase a seat since the seating is limited. I'd suggest getting there early they will give you a tour and if your interested you then select your chair. Hope this helps

So the Sanctuary on Princess ships is an adults only outdoor lounge with seats and lounge chairs. Can you reserve this online; do you reserve per day or for entire cruise. I have not sailed Princess; so that is why I am asking questions. Have cruise booked for next year. Thanks

No reservations on line. You will need to go directly to the Sanctuary when you board first come first serve. You can reserve a chair for specific days or the week.

On NCL you go to the passenger service desk to purchase a chair for the week. It was $79 last year for the entire week. The Sanctuary in Dec. was $30 a day and I believe $20 for a half day. Both are adult only areas. The Sanctuary is much more serene. NCL definitely has a Vibe.

On the Royal & Regal the adult pool and hot tubs are located right outside the entrance. It was well worth the cost to have a chair reserved no matter what time we arrived.

Edited by lindy sails

Another difference, in the Sanctuary, the lounger you select is yours for the cruise duration (Or day, or 1/2 day, depending on what you sign up for). While I have never been to Vibe I have seen photos, and the loungers in the Sanctuary are much more comfortable then the thinly padded loungers in Vibe.

Based on reviews I've read, those that sail NCL and covet Vibe passes , love Vibe (And it sells out quickly). Those that sail Princess and covet the Sanctuary love the Sanctuary (And count me among them). It also sells out quickly for cruise duration passes. Depending on how the ship you are sailing on does the daily passes, the line can start very early.

Im cruising on Princess and Im wondering how Sanctuary compares to NCL Vibe. One big difference seems to be the daily rate. I think thats rarely available in Vibe. Vibe has two hot tubs. So is Sanctuary worth it?

We have done it and do not find it worth the money.....maybe if you like isolating but that's about it....there always seems to be plenty of places on a Princess ship to have "solitude" if you want it...:)

MrMan I agree with you on the NCL advance online reservations. I have not sailed on Princess but am booked. I am amazed at some of the ways Princess is behind. Not bashing here; but everything is done online with so much ease. Being able to have advance bookings is common. It lets cruise line know how many people will use specialty venues on each night. This allows for good planning on their part. Knowing if it will be a slow night or busy night.

NCL doesn't do online vibe tickets either. Same as the sanctuary.

As comparison I think Sanctuary has slightly better facilities, however Vibe has more of a party atmosphere with a bar. It also depends on which ships, the facilities are different on each.

NCL doesn't do online vibe tickets either. Same as the sanctuary.

As comparison I think Sanctuary has slightly better facilities, however Vibe has more of a party atmosphere with a bar. It also depends on which ships, the facilities are different on each.

Hi I was referring to NCL online specialty dining and shore reservations

I haven't been on Princess yet but have been in Vibe. I think the atmosphere depends a lot on the other guests. There's really nothing 'official' that states Vibe is a quiet/relaxing area but depending on the passenger mix, it could be. I will say the service we received in Vibe would be hard to beat.

Part of the rush for Vibe passes is due to the ships sun decks being so crowded and congested, $100pp is a very small price pay for some space and sanity. I don't see those complaints nearly as much here. If we get a chance we may try Santuary for a day, but the impression I get is that it's not nearly as necessary on Regal/Royal as it is on the newer NCL ships.

MrMan I agree with you on the NCL advance online reservations. I have not sailed on Princess but am booked. I am amazed at some of the ways Princess is behind. Not bashing here; but everything is done online with so much ease. Being able to have advance bookings is common. It lets cruise line know how many people will use specialty venues on each night. This allows for good planning on their part. Knowing if it will be a slow night or busy night.

It is easy to make NCL reservations ahead of time, but there's a big downside to that. To make sure you don't miss out on anything, you essentially have to plan every day of your cruise three months in advance. We don't like to plan ahead 12 hours on vacation, let alone months. For a line that touts "Freestyle" it makes zero sense. That's one thing I really did not enjoy about cruising with Norwegian.

Hi I was referring to NCL online specialty dining and shore reservations
You can easily pre-reserve excursions online on Princess and you have the option of pre-paying or charging to your folio.

Rarely any need to pre-serve specialty restaurants. The dining room food is generally excellent so the vast majority of passengers eat in the dining room. You can ask for special dishes be prepared with 24-hour notice or ask for modifications or substitutions to dining room menu items. Most people book a specialty restaurant to celebrate an event, to avoid dressing up on formal nights or if they received a dinner with a promo. Other than formal nights, they are rarely booked as a substitute for the dining room.

Edited by Pam in CA

I haven't been on Princess yet but have been in Vibe. I think the atmosphere depends a lot on the other guests. There's really nothing 'official' that states Vibe is a quiet/relaxing area but depending on the passenger mix, it could be. I will say the service we received in Vibe would be hard to beat.

Part of the rush for Vibe passes is due to the ships sun decks being so crowded and congested, $100pp is a very small price pay for some space and sanity. I don't see those complaints nearly as much here. If we get a chance we may try Santuary for a day, but the impression I get is that it's not nearly as necessary on Regal/Royal as it is on the newer NCL ships.

It is easy to make NCL reservations ahead of time, but there's a big downside to that. To make sure you don't miss out on anything, you essentially have to plan every day of your cruise three months in advance. We don't like to plan ahead 12 hours on vacation, let alone months. For a line that touts "Freestyle" it makes zero sense. That's one thing I really did not enjoy about cruising with Norwegian.

Thanks for your feedback. I liked freestyle with NCL. We showed up for dinner and ate. No special time; easier to do that then having a pre arranged time. I plan on doing anytime dining with Princess also. But I respect your feedback, thank you

You can easily pre-reserve excursions online on Princess and you have the option of pre-paying or charging to your folio.

Rarely any need to pre-serve specialty restaurants. The dining room food is generally excellent so the vast majority of passengers eat in the dining room. You can ask for special dishes be prepared with 24-hour notice or ask for modifications or substitutions to dining room menu items. Most people book a specialty restaurant to celebrate an event, to avoid dressing up on formal nights or if they received a dinner with a promo. Other than formal nights, they are rarely booked as a substitute for the dining room.

Thank you for the valuable feedback. Because we are staying in the family suite; we have been given one specialty dining on first night; plus we have option to eat breakfast in wherever suite guests do. The grandkids will most likely want to eat breakfast buffet everyday; but who knows. Thank you for telling me about the great food in MDR. Not having sailed with Princess; it is all new to us.