Istanbul's Topkapi Palace Harem Rooms?

Are you on some kind of a tour? If you are seeing it privately, you can pretty much spend time wherever you want once you are inside. There are several different areas.

Even when I went there on a ship tour, they gave us free time to wander around the various interior areas (although the visit to the Harem quarters was at a fixed time).

Are you on some kind of a tour? If you are seeing it privately, you can pretty much spend time wherever you want once you are inside. There are several different areas.

Even when I went there on a ship tour, they gave us free time to wander around the various interior areas (although the visit to the Harem quarters was at a fixed time).

I'm going to be organizing a group from our Roll Call and I've found a great guide for the day. He's explained that with the busy itinerary I've planned, the Harem Rooms are expensive and time consuming. But good to know that if he books the visit to the Harem section at a specific time, we could perhaps limit the time we spent in the rest of Topkapi Palace.

Would that work? (You can tell I've never been there, right? :o)

I'd suggest you talk to him and (if this is how you feel) tell him that the Harem rooms are important to you but you can spend less time in the rest of Topkapi. Hopefully he can work out something for you.

Thanks for your advice. We've discussed it and we will be seeing the Harem Rooms. :)

I do say that the number one site that is not to be missed is Hagia Sophia. It is an amazing structure with much history and much to see inside.

That's definitely on the itinerary, along with the Hippodrome, the Blue Mosque, and the Basilica Cisterne. :)

Such is the dilemma of cruisers on too short port days. How to see everything in a short day? Some try and probably see very little since they are too busy running from place to place without any time to "stop and smell the roses." Others are a bit wiser and limit their visit to fewer places so they have more time to appreciate each place. The first person gets home and tells their family how they saw A.B.C.D and E....when in reality they saw little of any of those places. The other person comes home and tells about A, B, and perhaps C....and the nice lunch they enjoyed, etc etc. No right or wrong...just reality.

So, would we go to Topkapi and miss the Harem? Not if we could help it. But the usual dilemma for the cruiser is what would you have to give up to wait in a queue to get into this part of the Palace? That being said, it was not until our 5th visit to Istanbul that DW and I finally walked over to visit the Basilica Cistern! It was absolutely fantastic and we wondered how in the world we had missed that place during our first 4 visits (one of which was a 3 night stay). And then there is the Dolmabahce Palace (within walking distance of the port) that is seldom visited by cruisers until after multiple visits.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Also, the Archaeological Museum (near Topkapi) is wonderful.

The Archaeological Museum is indeed a neglected treasure in Istanbul. They have some fascinating things there, including a wonderfully carved sarcophagus with depictions of Alexander the Great and his generals, and several sculptures of Alexander as well.

Parts of the museum have been closed over the last several years for renovation. I would check to see if the renovations are complete before going.

We visited Dolmabahce Palace on our first trip to Istanbul and were really impressed. It’s something beyond anybody’s imagination. Utmost opulence! Too bad some tourists have to skip it.

The above is one reason why I always advise people to research the top sites but to keep their own interests in mind. Dolmabahce did nothing for me. But I'm not really interested in that era of history. I've been to Istanbul multiple times, so I'm not sorry I went -- but it wouldn't be on my list of recommendations for first-time (or maybe second-time) visitors....

I enjoyed the Islamic Arts museum far more.

Edited by cruisemom42

I would say that the Treasury is as much of a can’t-be-missed part of Topkapi Palace as the Harem Rooms are.

Absolutely. I totally agree. Also, there is lovely part of the outdoor complex that overlooks the Bosphorus straits. I was surprised how many folks miss that section.