Is it worth bringing my fan?

Karysa

My small fan has gotten on NCL, Carnival and Celebrity but in Venice, Italy in 2011 having my fan in my suitcase got me to take a trip to the naughty room and although I got my suitcase back my fan stayed locked up until the end of the cruise. So my question is .... Has anyone gotten a small personal fan in good shape onto a RCL ship (especially in Europe) without any issues?

Are fan's on Royal's prohibited list of things that you can bring on a ship?

No, I don't see fans on this list. However, they seem to be wary of long electrical cords, so I'd opt for a battery operated fan if possible.

Are you taking it for the breeze or the soothing sound?

We have a fan running every night at home to help us sleep. I downloaded a fan app to my smartphone and use it in our cabin at night. Seems silly but works great to help us fall asleep.

We have a fan running every night at home to help us sleep. I downloaded a fan app to my smartphone and use it in our cabin at night. Seems silly but works great to help us fall asleep.

Both:)

No, I don't see fans on this list. However, they seem to be wary of long electrical cords, so I'd opt for a battery operated fan if possible.

My cord is no longer than my blow dryer cord and shorter than my straightener cord so that wouldn't be the problem with it.

Has anyone gotten a small personal fan in good shape onto a RCL ship (especially in Europe) without any issues?

We take a dual-powered battery/AC fan, an older model of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Battery-Operated-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHMIQ/

on all cruises, including those out of Europe. No problem except once, when it went to the naughty room, but they had no problem once my wife showed them it ran on batteries. I would guess getting an electric only fan might be hit or miss depending on the mood of whomever catches it that day.

I worry about my phone overheating. Also don't know if the battery charge would make it through the night.

Not s problem?

I worry about my phone overheating. Also don't know if the battery charge would make it through the night.

Not s problem?

Battery charge might be a problem as there are no power outlets near the beds on most of Royal's ships.

I need a fan for airflow...I bring a small 5 inch electric desk fan. AND an extension cord. I don't care about the noise, it's the AIR I need. I bring it wherever we travel! Battery fans are heavy, and the batteries will NOT make it an entire week, adding to the extra weight you need to bring.

Edited by cb at sea

We take a dual-powered battery/AC fan, an older model of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Battery-Operated-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHMIQ/

on all cruises, including those out of Europe. No problem except once, when it went to the naughty room, but they had no problem once my wife showed them it ran on batteries. I would guess getting an electric only fan might be hit or miss depending on the mood of whomever catches it that day.

We also use this fan and had no issues on Celebrity a few months ago out of Italy, it is also dual voltage and worked great in our hotel in Rome. It was late Oct and the hotel had no a/c (winter months) and it was still very hot, we used it every night and slept with our balcony door open (life saver). You will just need an adapter for the plug.

I brought a small portable fan with me last May on Grandeur and had no problems at all. As others have mentioned, it's not on the list of prohibited items.

We had an inside cabin, and it sat right on the desk and was pointed towards the beds without any problems.

For me, it's about the sound AND about having some sort of air movement.

I have always taken a fan on board and never had it confiscated. But the worst they can do is take it and you have to get it back at the end of the cruise. So, take it!

On Royal Caribbean? Ever out of Europe? Not sure if it's a Europe thing.:)

The last time there were 9 of us and the luggage came and then we waited for mine and waited and finally I was told that it was in the nasty room. It was a hassle. I don't want to bring it all the way to Italy if it's going to have to stay in the naughty room all week like the last time on the VOS out of Venice.

I have a MacBook Pro, which has a HUGE cord (the main part is 6' and the extension part of it is another 6' so you have 12' worth of cord!)

My backup plan was to plug the MBP in wherever I could and get a USB powered fan to plug into the laptop itself (which can be left off but still pass through power).

That way I can use multiple things off of one port. :D

Edited by RadioRob

I have a MacBook Pro, which has a HUGE cord (the main part is 6' and the extension part of it is another 6' so you have 12' worth of cord!)

My backup plan was to plug the MBP in wherever I could and get a USB powered fan to plug into the laptop itself (which can be left off but still pass through power).

That way I can use multiple things off of one port. :D

Well of course I would probably have an issue with that because the laptop would need to be on and sit next to the fan on the bedside table. The little light would drive me crazy because I sleep on my side facing the fan so I would see the light all night. I know 3rd world problems right?

We have taken our little electric bedroom fan (8 inch circular) on the last 10 RC and 5 celebrity cruises without incident. I love having a fan in the room. I also use it to clear the steam out of the bathroom when the mirror is needed for shaving or other things. These fans are about $15-$20 at Walmart.

I thought you could order a fan from special needs......is that no longer done? I'll be on Quantum and have heard the AC doesn't get very cold. I take medicine that makes me very, very warm.

Barb

I don't know if Special Needs would supply a fan, but it's worth asking them.

Lookup 02 Cool fan. Can run off batteries or plug, but the plug adapter disconnects from the unit so never had an issue with security on any cruise line. I've never run it off batteries. Always use the plug. $20 to $30. 10 inch. Slim fan with a USB charger built in too

Edited by LMaxwell