Stay away from RC.

ajsimo12

Yes, someone mentioned that maybe they should try Carnival? Well I really like Carnival too, but for the cruise we are getting ready to take the first week in April, it has to be RCCL , so time will tell what happens.

First, let me suggest going way up on the organizational chart. Contacting customer service via phone with any organization often doesn't get a great result. I would suggest a letter to the CEO of RC, with documentation.

Second, I was under the assumption that porters at cruise terminals are employees of the authority that operates the port. Even though RC runs a number of ships through Ft. Lauderdale, the porters may be employees of the port authority. I would drop a letter to the port authority. Hopefully, you caught the name on his badge.

Clearly, the porter was incredibly rude and vindictive. But, a lot of people don't use a skycap at an airport, a redcap at a train station, or a bellhop at a hotel. So, they don't know whether to tip or how much. It's like a lot of people born after WWII don't know to tip the maid at higher-end hotels, because they grew up staying at Holiday Inns, Ramada Inns, Best Westerns, and other chains in which maids didn't expect a tip.

So, when a person has a job in which the wage takes into account tipping, and you don't get tipped what is customary, it does get frustrating. Again, I'm not excusing the porter. But, if my assumption is correct, I understand his frustration.

As others have said, food is very subjective. I've never had a bad meal in the MDR on the Majesty, the Jewel, the Rhapsody, the Freedom, or the Brilliance. Some dishes have been good, while others have been outstanding.

Remember that you are in a dining room that is seating probably 2000 people over two seatings. While the menu is large, with daily specials, the kitchen works more like a banquet hall kitchen than the kitchen of a Michelin 3-star restaurant that might serve 300 guests between 5pm and midnight.

It would be interesting to know if your ship was late docking that morning, or if there were other problems that delayed the process of turning around the ship.

Back in 2012, we were on the Jewel sailing out of Boston. Boarding was delayed for an hour, because the power went out in the cruise terminal just as the ship docked that morning, and the ship was about 15 minutes behind the scheduled arrival time of 7am. So, the only passengers who could disembark were those who hadn't left their bags in the hallway the night before. That put the cleaning of rooms behind an hour. But, it also delayed boarding by an hour, since IT people had to get the computers back up and running.

I know people who show up at the terminal around 1pm for check-in and head straight to their cabin. Obviously, they would have checked in around 1, boarded the ship around 1:30, because of the backlog, and still couldn't have gotten into the cabins until 2pm, with their bags showing up later than usual.

The fact that they didn't catch the toy was surprising, because every bed is stripped upon arrival. You see huge laundry bags in the hallway.

So, when a person has a job in which the wage takes into account tipping, and you don't get tipped what is customary, it does get frustrating. Again, I'm not excusing the porter. But, if my assumption is correct, I understand his frustration.

se every bed is stripped upon arrival. You see huge laundry bags in the hallway.

Like I said previously, these porters are Union and make upwards of 100K salary. Signs in Florida ports are posted do not tip. However..... I usually tip a buck a bag anyway but not when someone is demanding it or being rude. If this happens to anyone in the future, simply ask for the supervisor, he is always nearby and will set the individual straight. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Like I said previously, these porters are Union and make upwards of 100K salary. Signs in Florida ports are posted do not tip. However..... I usually tip a buck a bag anyway but not when someone is demanding it or being rude. If this happens to anyone in the future, simply ask for the supervisor, he is always nearby and will set the individual straight. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

How do you know they make that much?

They are union labor and make $35 an hour.

This is before their benefits and health care.

This does not account for the cash tips.

You still do not say where the information comes from. However, assuming it is correct, $35/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year = $72,800/year. I would be surprised if benefits and health care are enough to bring that to $100,000. On the other hand, overtime might. Still, I find it hard to even imagine handing my luggage to a porter without offering a tip, regardless of what the signs say. Also, I have been to Port Everglades many times (it is only 30 miles from my home) and I have never met a rude porter. They all work for the port, not the cruise lines, and I do not think the cruise lines have any authority over them.

You still do not say where the information comes from. However, assuming it is correct, $35/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year = $72,800/year. I would be surprised if benefits and health care are enough to bring that to $100,000. On the other hand, overtime might. Still, I find it hard to even imagine handing my luggage to a porter without offering a tip, regardless of what the signs say. Also, I have been to Port Everglades many times (it is only 30 miles from my home) and I have never met a rude porter. They all work for the port, not the cruise lines, and I do not think the cruise lines have any authority over them.

Chron.com under their human resources information about ILA. (Longshoremen Union).

Port Everglades have always had nice porters...even had some disappear so fast I had to flag them down to give them a tip.

Miami....those guys are jerks

Edited by LMaxwell

They are union labor and make $35 an hour.

This is before their benefits and health care.

This does not account for the cash tips.

Sorry for my ignorance, and I am not having a go but does it matter how much they make.

Either they are in an industry where tips are given or they are not.

Either they deserve the tip or they do not.

Edited by MicCanberra

Where are these signs? I've never seen one.

And the Port Everglades brochure says that tipping is optional https://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=177607&p=10

Edited by dcgrumpy

Apparently. Is there a port in Florida that you haven't cruised out of?

Never cruised from Jacksonville, and only twice from Miami years ago.

Edited by clarea

Where are these signs? I've never seen one.

The signs must be at ports that we don't frequent.

I have seen a sign posted at a Florida port saying something along the lines of, "tipping of porters is not required", but I forget which one. Port Canaveral or Port Everglades.

I have seen a sign posted at a Florida port saying something along the lines of, "tipping of porters is not required", but I forget which one. Port Canaveral or Port Everglades.

Yes, but there's a big difference between "not required" and "do not tip".

Yes, but there's a big difference between "not required" and "do not tip".

I don't remember the exact wording, unfortunately, so my paraphrasing may be wrong.

There were several threads about this in the 2009 time period. One post:

"Last September, my wife and I took a cruise out of Port Canaveral for the first time. Signs clearly say that porters are paid a salary and to not tip them." (from the thread classic, 'con artist porters...')

I do remember seeing such a sign but as I said, can't remember the exact wording, and it could be different since that time.

I usually tip $1-2/bag. I have put my own luggage on the cart and walked away because no one was there. I have tipped the porter and watch him leave my luggage on the curb. In any case, I have always received my luggage, usually before sailaway.

Edited by marci22

To further that math a little...

One can easily look up the port schedules on line- I found one for Port Canaveral- http://www.portcanaveral.com/PortCanaveral/media/Port-Canaveral/Content%20Images/FY15-Cruise-Ship-Schedule.pdf

We know that ships arrive at about 6am, and leave by no later than 4pm. But actual work time would easily fit in an 8 hour day within that- since bags can't be unloaded early nor can they be accepted late.

And there's a degree of work cross over- the guys on the outside don't seem to be needed to take bags off- that would be the others.

So there's no need at all for overtime on a regular basis. If it's a Union contract, it's safe to say that there is an 8 hour minimum, but it's unlikely that overtime is part of the pay.

On the schedule- the number of people who work varies a lot depending on how many ships are in town. The most is 4, although there are 6 spots there. Generally, there appears that there are 3 ships in when ships are there, quite a few times there are 0 or 1 in port.

So unless you are the most senior port worker, you are not even able to work 40 hours a week- as there's just not enough work to do gathering people's bags.

Which is to say, for a very high estimate of the senior dock workers, $73k a year is a good top end estimate. IF $35/hr is what they actually earn.

Another quick google search shows that Tampa dock workers earn closer to $20k a year, and their hourly wages are closer to $15/hr.

There are a few articles that pop up about West Coast longshormen earning over $100k, but that's also specifically for the west coast, and container shipping ports- not the cruise ports.

that's not to answer the question of tipping or not. That's still up to you.

But if you are really that offended by the baggage porters- carry your luggage on and off board yourself That's what we do. Problem solved.

................I would suggest in the future you save a little more and cruise on a cruise line such as Crystal. You do know you chose a cruise line designed and marketed to the "hoi polio"? It is the "Greyhound" of the industry. And I'm sorry the butler had to be exposed to such foul language from the "help".......:cool:

Sorry for my ignorance, and I am not having a go but does it matter how much they make.

Either they are in an industry where tips are given or they are not.

Either they deserve the tip or they do not.

Yes, it does matter how much they make, because that is usually the reason that many jobs, particularly in the US, involve customary tipping - because they are rather low paying jobs that rely on tipping to supplement the pay. Otherwise, no one really "deserves" a tip, unless they are going above and beyond their normal job description to help you out. And handing bags to a porter, so he can load them onto a cart, is not exactly above and beyond.

So, yeah, how much they earn for doing that would normally be a major factor in whether tipping is customary or not.

It's a little fuzzy with porters, because those who help you with your bags at airports or hotels are usually in low paying jobs, and tipping is customary. At ports, sometimes it's the same; other times, the porters are union longshoremen who make relatively high wages and don't really need to rely on tips. So, personally, I just tip a little and don't worry about it, but the money they make does factor into it, and it would seem a bit tacky to be accepting tips if you're already paid generously for what you're doing.

One of the best ways to deal with a situation with such a porter, who is actually a very highly paid unionized longshoreman, is to take a photograph of him so he can be identified to the cruise line. In this case where he was constantly using bad language, intimidation and threats I would have done a video.

They are then very unlikely to carry on with their actions and carry out their threads if they realize you have done either of the above. ;)

I dont know-- there are just some battles not worth fighting nor winning. I see no reason not to just smile and hand them a tip and bear the 30 sec interaction so bag does arrive at the appointed room/destination or I guess I could posture up, take their picture and start World War 3--umm 30 sec and gone or ww3 ???? I know what i would do

Not sure why I'm interested in this, but some more data...

Another employment name for the dock workers handling your bags is Stevedore. From Salary dot com, your can see the earnings of these workers- and in Florida, the range is $44-53k per year.

One can even look at specific docks, for instance, the average in Ft. Lauderdale is $43k, and is called below national average. The closest to port Canaveral is Melbourne Fl- where the average is $40.5k a year.

For both, the range for 10-90% of the workers is $40-55k per year. There may be a handful of people getting $100k. But it's quite unlikely that he guy at the curb is getting that much.

Payscale dot com has longshoreman earning $15-40 per hour. Which is a pretty big range. They do say there is OT that can be earned, but given the work cycle of a ship, I have a tough time seeing OT, or even consistent 40 hour a week work for all of them. Some, perhaps, but not all of them.

Even the chron dot com article points out that east coast workers are not $100k at the top end. AND that this is for the senior worker at ports dealing with cargo from Asia. Not the cruise ports.

Anyway, it's hard to come up with data that all of the baggage porters are making $100k/year.

After reading about the experience and going through the responses I have a request;

Would all of you who have the "Oh well, stuff happens." attitude start buying millions from our company? That way we can totally mess up the order, provide horrible customer service with a don't bother me attitude and not fear losing business.

Geez...are you people really that afraid of standing up for yourself and demanding a company deliver something at least close to what they advertise?

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.

I think the soap has valid points, and I think people should be a little more empathetic versus saying "get over it." Particularly, the OP stated he saved a lot for this trip. While he doesn't indicate what "a lot" is, I think most people can agree that amount varies depending on how much a person makes and spends typically. Without knowing what he and his wife do for a living (and I would never ever ask, not my business), I will go with the assumption that whether they were staying in a Royal suite or an inside cabin, this was a lot of money to them, and they probably used a good chunk of vacation time, and they did experience a series of unfortunate events that I would agree might make me say "never again." I'm loyal to Royal, and I've never had a bad cruise, but I have had experiences in my life that make me say "never again."

For me, I've always had jobs where my max time off at any given time is one week, so if I spent all my vacation money and used as much as I could at once and got little joy out of it, I would be very upset, too. Everyone has different things that bother them. Some people have more than others, but I don't feel like this is the case here.

Oh, and nitpicking after the fact about how the OP should have handled certain things, like the rude porter and the dirty room, is irrelevant. It's already done, and you weren't there to advise at the time. Regardless of what a porter makes, his behavior was unprofessional and inappropriate. Let's really not get into how $40k is a low amount to handle bags, while a new police officer averages $30k where I live.