Been ON NCL and RCL sell me on Celebrity

QuickieGlenn

I have only cruised out of NYC and am tired of putting up with the Cold & turbulent Atlantic in the winter and am looking for new ports to visit. I am thinking of heading out of Florida next winter and am thinking of going on Celebrity. We are not food snobs, not big drinkers and like an occasional show. I use a wheelchair full time and here good things about the accessibility of the ships. I am thinking about the western Caribbean but I am worried about tendering in Grand Cayman. Any thoughts would be great..Thanks

I have only cruised out of NYC and am tired of putting up with the Cold & turbulent Atlantic in the winter and am looking for new ports to visit. I am thinking of heading out of Florida next winter and am thinking of going on Celebrity. We are not food snobs, not big drinkers and like an occasional show. I use a wheelchair full time and here good things about the accessibility of the ships. I am thinking about the western Caribbean but I am worried about tendering in Grand Cayman. Any thoughts would be great..Thanks

We have also sailed on NCL and RCCL, amongst other lines, but prefer Celebrity overall.

I really like the food on Celebrity ... and we are also not food snobs but enjoy a good meal and some variety. Their specialty restaurants are really good but a bit overpriced. You can always look for a discount if not filled, though. We do drink so the beverage package thrown in as a perk (it is really not free but discounted when thrown in) works perfectly for us. This package includes great coffee, bottled water, sodas and fresh squeezed orange juice ... so not just alcohol. However, you can always opt for free gratuities and/or onboard credit instead.

I don't think an easy transfer to tender if in a wheelchair is guaranteed on any line. I have seen some mishaps and you just cannot count on what the waters will be like. I don't think it would be better or worse than on any other line but if the water is particularly rough, you would have to make the call on whether or not to tough it out on the tender or just stay onboard.

Whatever you decide ... enjoy your cruise.

Accessibility is a bit better than RCL. cabins are great. probably the best thing is the buffet on X. Lots of cooked to order stations where we often left the RCL buffet without finding anything interesting. Service also a bit of a higher level than either NCL or RCCL. Cruisers slightly older and fewer kids than RCl. no idea about kids on NCL on your cruise.

Tendering I guess is a crap shoot. You never know if it will cooperate or not. About 10% of the time too rough to tender at all!

If you do East Carib with Celebrity at most ports ships are docked so easier for wheelchair.

We like Celebrity because it is usually more mid-age repeat cruisers vs families with kids. We're looking for comfortable relaxation. To each their own. Good Luck

We have cruised NCL 5 times and Celebrity 9 times in the past 6 years. We prefer Celebrity due to the food quality and consistently good service.

Also, NCL's excursions tend to be more expensive.

NCL does have a little better entertainment.

Thanks for the reply's

All of my past cruises have been on the eastern swing, I would do that if I was able to hit different ports, still doing my research

I understand tendering is a crapshoot depending on the conditions.

Just want to see something different than San Juan, St Thomas & St Marten

Thanks Again

My last three cruises have been ,Celebrity Eclipse, RCCL Anthem of the Seas & last month NCL Epic, all were excellent cruises, Anthem of the Seas was full of fun not a spare moment,different free restaurants, Epic very good & good entertainment, Celebrity has always been our favourite & we will be on the Equinox in May. After this cruise I will review & then decide if Celebrity is still our favourite. Celebrity is more up market than the others, good food,(we never use the specialty restaurants on any ship), good entertainment, although don't call the Glass Show entertainment, they should get rid of it, & great service. I do worry that the entertainment may fall short of RCCL & Epic so it is a wait & see.

Thanks for the reply's

All of my past cruises have been on the eastern swing, I would do that if I was able to hit different ports, still doing my research

Just want to see something different than San Juan, St Thomas & St Marten

Thanks Again

AMEN to that. X's port selection mix is repetitive and unimaginative, year-in year-out. Also, maybe only 10% of Murano menu has changed in years. I do give X credit as overall above-average in several other areas, value-for $, loyalty benefits as examples. Good Luck

We have cruised NCL 5 times and Celebrity 9 times in the past 6 years. We prefer Celebrity due to the food quality and consistently good service.

Also, NCL's excursions tend to be more expensive.

NCL does have a little better entertainment.

It has not been our experience that NCL's excursions are pricier.....but have not priced identical excursions.

Had great service on all three lines.

Entertainment better on both RCCL and NCL.

Food on Celebrity MUCH better than RCCL (based on just two cruises with them) and better than NCL.

Have seen lots of folks in wheelchairs on all three lines, but would prefer Celebrity and Holland America for the reason of more mature cruisers if I were in a wheelchair on a cruise. The Epic is not wheelchair friendly in my opinion, having been on a knee scooter on one cruise. No midship elevators and long hikes from one end to another to access one of the dining rooms which is only easily accessed by escalator. DH finally carried my scooter up and down the escalator rather than me having to painfully scoot the length of the ship twice....wouldn't have worked in a wheelchair. Fortunately NCL only built one ship by that plan. For me on Celebrity I find it easier to get around on the M class ships and love the smaller HAL ships for mobility reasons.

Enjoy your Caribbean cruise OP!

P.S. Our friend who is in a wheelchair enjoys Hawaii and Alaska cruises. Seems to work better for him at US ports where access is mandated. They are NCL cruisers.

Edited by HokiePoq

In brief, overall, Celebrity has much more of an elegant touch (without being snobbish). Specifically, there is no comparison between the MDR food and service on Norwegian vs Celebrity -- Celeb wins, hands down.

That isn't to say NCL doesn't have great ships and itineraries...

Enjoy!

Don't want to state the obvious, but you might communicate with the Captain's Club Host as early in the cruise as reasonable.(They have hours the first day) I suggest this person as they will be sure to help you in getting contact with people to help you board the tender, if the seas allow. I have seen deck two boarding of tenders to help with wheelchair access. Enjoy your cruise.