secret site...please don't ban me!

poona1

i hope i don't get banned but i keep reading of another 'social' internet site

that fellow ncl cruisers can go to read up on ncl cruisers...so someone spill the beans...what is this site...by the way...i love cruise critic, they are totally helping the lot of us with all our cruise needs...thanks a million!

Its Facebook.

People are paranoid -- they think you're not allowed to say Facebook.

Facebook. Facebook. Facebook.

What you are not allowed to do here is promote a specific Facebook group/roll call/whatever.

Personally, I hate Facebook, but a lot of folks seem to enjoy it.

Just search for Norwegian Cruise Line on Facebook -- there are a bunch of different groups/users/whatevers.

Edited by triptolemus

Its Facebook.

People are paranoid -- they think you're not allowed to say Facebook.

Facebook. Facebook. Facebook.

What you are not allowed to do here is promote a specific Facebook group/roll call/whatever.

Personally, I hate Facebook, but a lot of folks seem to enjoy it.

Just search for Norwegian Cruise Line on Facebook -- there are a bunch of different groups/users/whatevers.

I feel like a criminal just reading this. ;)

Has anyone noticed that CC is happy to take money from Facebook!! Their banner advert on their page is quite frequently that for Facebook.

Mike

Banner advertising is specific to each user and is generated off your browsing history. They are not taking money from Facebook.

Funny as I have nothing at all to do with Facebook and never have.

Mike

LMaxwell is correct in saying the banners are not CC oriented. They are generated by the searches that are done on your computer (cookies). If I search for a refrigerator then pretty soon my banners will all be about refrigerators.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

The one I found was run by extraordinarily arrogant people and was non-stop bickering amongst them. I opted out pretty quick.

There was some useful stuff... but here you get to choose what topics you read; on FB notices come about every piece of nonsense that comes up... and believe me, there was a LOT of that.

They are generated by the searches that are done on your computer (cookies).

Why would you search for cookies on your computer. You should be searching for cookies in the kitchen. If you don't find any in the kitchen, go to the store. The Girl Scouts are selling their cookies.

The one I found was run by extraordinarily arrogant people and was non-stop bickering amongst them. I opted out pretty quick.

There was some useful stuff... but here you get to choose what topics you read; on FB notices come about every piece of nonsense that comes up... and believe me, there was a LOT of that.

I would say this statement is generally correct.

One thing I'll add, FB groups are generally made up of a different kind of person than what you'll find here on CC. I don't want to be too hard on them, but it's a lot easier for just any average joe cruiser to join a group there. The CC members are people who generally put a lot more effort into cruising, and thus are a lot more knowledgeable. On FB you'll get loads of the same questions over and over again. Very broad questions like "is the all you can drink package worth it?". Then different people will answer each one with answers like "yes", "no", "it was for me", "it's not as good as Royal's", and other similar simple comments. Long threads ensue with a lot of "me too" responses.

Or, if a specific question is asked, people who have no clue will try to answer it. It's not uncommon to see the first 4 answers all saying completely different things, and each one incorrect.

Just my $.02. I am active here and in many groups on FB. Groups there might be easier to join, but there's no comparison to the knowledge you'll find here on CC.

I got blocked from a supposedly friendly norwegian fb group. I don't even know why. so I deleted myself from all the pages that the 2 admins run. They are TAs and I guess they just didn't like my responses to things. I post quite a bit here and I think I'm very tame.

I have a kid who is now a pre teen. I've cruised a lot and I try to be as helpful as possible to everyone. Here or on FB

.... FB groups are generally made up of a different kind of person than what you'll find here on CC. I don't want to be too hard on them, but it's a lot easier for just any average joe cruiser to join a group there. The CC members are people who generally put a lot more effort into cruising, and thus are a lot more knowledgeable.

It seems quite the opposite to me. Most Facebook groups, one has to be approved and accepted by the group admin. Here on CC, anyone can join and post. I read about an equal amount of wrong info posted here as I do there.

i hope i don't get banned but i keep reading of another 'social' internet site

that fellow ncl cruisers can go to read up on ncl cruisers...so someone spill the beans...what is this site...by the way...i love cruise critic, they are totally helping the lot of us with all our cruise needs...thanks a million!

You can also google Cruise Forums :)

It seems quite the opposite to me. Most Facebook groups, one has to be approved and accepted by the group admin. Here on CC, anyone can join and post. I read about an equal amount of wrong info posted here as I do there.

Maybe you're in different groups than me. :D

I still think it's easier over there if you have a FB account. It's just a button click, then you get approved, then stuff starts showing up in your feed. DW is a member of a number of FB groups but calls CC a "hassle" so she never posts over here. She also receives, and gives, a lot of misinformation that I'm constantly correcting for her.

The groups I'm a part of just generally seem to have a lot more noise. A lot more conversation from people who don't know as much. If I'm cruising with my entire family, I can simply add them all to a fb group specific to our ship and suddenly there are 12 new members of the group, none of whom really know much about cruising. Whereas they would each need to sign up individually to join CC. That's why I said it requires more effort to join here.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash FB groups, I know they make sense for some types of people. And I think there is a major advantage for getting to know people in roll call groups for your particular sailing, conversations are just much more alive and vibrant there than here. But I definitely see differences in the general ship/line/cruising groups and CC when it comes to cruising knowledge. It's not that there aren't knowledgeable people over there, it's that they are more drowned out by the sea of unknowledgeable people who would never bother to even join CC.

They are generated by the searches that are done on your computer (cookies).

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Whoever stated anyone was searching for cookies?

The subject of the post is in the parenthesizes.

Edited by Cuizer2

I was a member of one which was set up and run by an egotistical, arrogant pr**k. He thought the world revolved around him and had a great following. I couldn't hack it, I made a post that should have got me banned and then left before I was. (I then sneakily read the predictable responses from his followers on my wife's FB account)