R/T or N/S bound to Glacier Bay on Princess?

styme123

I already know that everyone can go from July 1 until the 16th. with adjustment on each end if needed. My husband can take any 2 weeks in the summer but only 2 weeks. How do I book a flight without knowing what the exact dates would be? What if I book say the 9-16 flight and the cruise I want is July 1-8?

IF "everyone" can go 7-1 - 7-16, how is 9-16 coming in the picture? IF you want the most- low cost option, then book your flights, for the above days round trip Seattle (since that should be the easiest to find, reasonable rates)

Then keep track of the pricing for ALL round trip cruises- leaving from 7-1 through 7-9. You have at least 10++ cruises to watch.

I think last minute bookings are the way to go.

If you can drive to the port this is the way to go. It doesn't work out so well if you have to buy airfare for the whole family. And if you want to use frequent flyer miles, your best bet is about a year in advance.

If you can drive to the port this is the way to go. It doesn't work out so well if you have to buy airfare for the whole family. And if you want to use frequent flyer miles, your best bet is about a year in advance.

I live in Nebraska - how Midwest is that?? Honestly, I have booked many $399 cruises that I make up the cost in airfare by booking last minute on my Alaskan cruises. I have often lucked out with FF miles also. They open up seats as time gets closer.

There were even times I booked FF miles and didn't have a cruise booked and watched the cruise prices until they came down to the price I needed and then booked a B2B cruise. I gave myself time so that I could catch any ship that weekend and return late on Sunday night two weeks later so I could do a B2B.

The one Alaskan cruise that I booked a year out, it cost $$$$! I won't do that again.

Edited by Coral

@Budget Queen 9-16 meaning July 9-16. So we can do either a July 2-9 or a 9-16 cruise or a similar combo to that. If I was booking airfare how would I know which week to choose? For example If I book July 9-16 and there is a great deal on a July 2-9 trip I can't do it. or maybe there are 3 seats available but not the 7 I need. If I would need to change the flight days and rebook that would make the price double practically. I don't have any FF miles as the last time I was on a flight was 25 years ago:D I don't even know how they work. Every time I've gone anywhere I've driven.

I live in Nebraska - how Midwest is that?? Honestly, I have booked many $399 cruises that I make up the cost in airfare by booking last minute on my Alaskan cruises. I have often lucked out with FF miles also. They open up seats as time gets closer.

There were even times I booked FF miles and didn't have a cruise booked and watched the cruise prices until they came down to the price I needed and then booked a B2B cruise. I gave myself time so that I could catch any ship that weekend and return late on Sunday night two weeks later so I could do a B2B.

The one Alaskan cruise that I booked a year out, it cost $$$$! I won't do that again.

How many people are you booking for? Booking for two is way different than booking for a family, especially if it includes kids. There may just be one cabin here, one cabin there left. Which is fine if you only need one cabin, but a problem if you need more than one cabin and have a bunch of kids. (husband and one kid on one floor...me with a kid on another floor...and hold a lottery to see which kid gets left at home if 3 person cabins aren't available. No cruiseline will let you book a kid by themselves if the room isn't connecting, or at least adjacent or across the hall.) Airfare can be a problem if there's only one or two cheap seats left, too.

My family travels a lot. There are times when last minute has worked well, but booking an Alaskan cruise last-minute is not one of them.

(Another thing to keep in mind: I have seen speculation that Alaska demand and prices have gone up - at least temporarily - as people become nervous about traveling to Europe. This could affect last minute price drops/availability)

How many people are you booking for? Booking for two is way different than booking for a family, especially if it includes kids. There may just be one cabin here, one cabin there left. Which is fine if you only need one cabin, but a problem if you need more than one cabin and have a bunch of kids. (husband and one kid on one floor...me with a kid on another floor...and hold a lottery to see which kid gets left at home if 3 person cabins aren't available. No cruiseline will let you book a kid by themselves if the room isn't connecting, or at least adjacent or across the hall.) Airfare can be a problem if there's only one or two cheap seats left, too.

One cabin - but I know others who have done it at the same time (so multiple cabins have done it). I guess I feel I have it down, that I would feel comfortable doing it for 3 cabins... Though - all most all of my trips are last minute. That is definitely where the pricing is. So I am used to putting trips together at the last minute. I guess it is what you are used to.

Again - I have been one to book FF miles far out and wait until cruise prices go down and then book the cruise. A friend of mine had a trip to Bangkok this past year, booked their air 2 weeks out. They waited it out for the airline to release FF seats.

Do what you are comfortable with. I have just found prices are better at the last minute. Though I understand if you have young kids and have them near you. I have seen cabins near each other towards the end but again, it is up to you. It sounds like you haven't even looked into last minute bookings to know what is available and what isn't.

Edited by Coral

I know that this must feel overwhelming, if one is not a more frequent traveler/cruiser!!!

I, personally, am big on planning early.

But, this time, we ended up booking more last minute.

Here is how this looks, right now, with our cruise on Princess.

We were thinking of booking early, for 2017, but dates and itineraries were not working out well. Ended up booking late last year for a late May cruise THIS May. Yes, I felt like we probably missed out on some special promotions (only got the twice as nice onboard credit)... And we might not have gotten the cheapest fare. But I think we did Okay. (We chose a N/S bound itinerary, so that we could experience Alaska all the way to Anchorage/Whittier)

At one point, the cruise looked to be nearly sold out.

Then, more recently, all the agencies, groups, families, that were holding cabins let them go. there are probably acceptable cabins in most categories. EXCEPT the interior cabins. These seem to be sold out by those who just want to be on the ship at the cheapest rate. I can't imagine why higher categories would be let go, but not the inside cabins? I just checked, and today, there are a few interior 'guarantee' staterooms, starting at $949.00pp, either far foward or far aft. This would mean that Princess would place you wherever they find an available cabin, upon boarding, and each of your cabins could be far from each other. If adjoining or 'close' cabins are important, then this could be an issue to think about.

Now we are upon Final Payment Date.

When Princess put out all of their updated fares and promotions, on March 1st, most of the fares went UP. Our cabin did... A significant amount.

Now, when it truly becomes 'last minute', if there are any real number of cabins left, there could be some drop-and-go fares. But, personally, trying to get these different parties the airfare, and all onboard at a specific last minute date would be something that I would not be comfortable trying to make happen.

Here are two other things that I have noticed.

The N/S bound itineraries must be more in demand, or Princess would like to think so, I have seen better fares and promos on the R/T cruises.

Edited by Wishing on a star

@wishing on a star, I think that I was thinking the same thing. If it was just my DH and myself I think it would be easier to find a last minute deal but for 7 of us and needing 4 rooms that might be pretty tough, but I could be wrong. My youngest is 18 so he's the only one that the cruise need us near. Having all the rooms together would be nice but not a deal breaker if the price was great. I saw also that the N/S bounds were more popular and booked up faster. I guess also since they have smaller ships going on those, there are 1/2 the amount of interiors so they book up faster.

Do what you are comfortable with. I have just found prices are better at the last minute. Though I understand if you have young kids and have them near you. I have seen cabins near each other towards the end but again, it is up to you. It sounds like you haven't even looked into last minute bookings to know what is available and what isn't.

We have booked last-minute cruises, but only when we can drive to the port. Once was on an old Carnival ship that allowed a roll-away bed for the 5th person. On NCL, they were only booking GTY and we ended up with DH in one room with two kids far away from me in another room with one other kid. We vowed never to do that again because it wasn't fun being that separated. (Kids were far too young to be that far away from us for us to put the kids together in one room. Even five years later I'm not sure I'd trust them without being next door or across the hall.) Two years later we were on the same ship with my parents for less money, having booked in advance with a $99 kids promotion that was cheaper than the last-minute GTY. (We got connecting rooms and put one kid in with my parents)

I don't doubt that you can get great last-minute deals, but once you're above 2 people, it's not always a guarantee, or the optimal vacation.

My family travels a lot. There are times when last minute has worked well, but booking an Alaskan cruise last-minute is not one of them.

(Another thing to keep in mind: I have seen speculation that Alaska demand and prices have gone up - at least temporarily - as people become nervous about traveling to Europe. This could affect last minute price drops/availability)

With the OP, this does not pertain, there are no- "kids" that can't stay by themselves. Your thinking is faulty. The BIG price dumps don't happen where there are only a few cabins- there is a good inventory, otherwise the price would soar.

I late book ALL the time and have done so over at least the past 10 years. I have more cruise options to book then I can fit in, and have to think about which cruises work best together- a tough problem to have. :)

IF this poster can be a lot more flexible over 2 weeks, it is a good chance something will come up.

Edited by Budget Queen

@Budget Queen 9-16 meaning July 9-16. So we can do either a July 2-9 or a 9-16 cruise or a similar combo to that. If I was booking airfare how would I know which week to choose? For example If I book July 9-16 and there is a great deal on a July 2-9 trip I can't do it. or maybe there are 3 seats available but not the 7 I need. If I would need to change the flight days and rebook that would make the price double practically. I don't have any FF miles as the last time I was on a flight was 25 years ago:D I don't even know how they work. Every time I've gone anywhere I've driven.

The way, I am suggesting would be for - flights to be booked, and your trip be for the entire 2 weeks. The other week, you would be touring around the cruise. The early flights booked would be for round trip Seattle. You then have the opportunity for at least 10 cruises, including one ways, since there are frequent Anc/Sea flights.

With booking flights, you do NOT want to book all 7 at the same time, book in smaller numbers for the lowest available rates. You are dealing will all adults- you shouldn't have to all be together?

This is a strategy, that will only work with this 2 weeks of time and flexibility in the ship selection. With the big price dumps there are more than 4 cabins available, but you do have to be able to make fast decisions and book, ideally the same day.

Two years ago, I was able to book 3 inside cabins in a row in MID MAY for a late July cruise. I paid a bit over $700 per person (plus taxes & fees) for 6 people.

Last year I booked on May 1 for a late July cruise, and got a great deal on a balcony. We always get inside cabins, but at about $1400 (plus taxes & fees) per person for a balcony, we splurged.

I do have the advantage of living in the Seattle area and not needing to book flights, so I can take advantage of significant savings by booking later.

Oddly enough, I booked my cruise for this year nearly a year in advance, due to an exceptional promo.

That could be good advice about booking any flights for a larger number of people.

I have found it true, in my experience, that there will be a certain number of seats made available at a lower price. The web-site will say something like "2 seats available at this price'. If one is to do a search for 3 or more people, the regular price might show up.

I feel like I have done well booking our most recent trips by snagging something like this when I see it pop up. In fact, on our flights for this Alaska cruise, I was worried about waiting until our miles finally showed up in our account to book our flight. Was afraid that there could actually be price/mile increases. To my surprise, when we finally went to book, it was actually one of those lower offers, which was better than I had seen in prior weeks.

I just wanted to say that for some cruisers, it can be convenient, and also a real plus, for some cruisers and frequent cruisers, to try to snag those last minute fares. But, for some, myself and possibly the original poster here included, a cruise like this is a big deal, not something that I have already done, or will likely do again in the near future, and I want to make sure I get the itinerary and the cabin, cruise line/ship, etc. that I think will make it the best experience possible.

Yes, let me step forward and introduce myself, "Hello, I am wishing on a star, and I am an OCD travel planner." Hahahaha!!!

I think like "wishing on a star" I might be one of those people who has everything all planned out instead of just winging it. I think because there are so many of us going it makes it difficult to be as flexible. This trip is a "big deal" for us and only 2 of us have ever gone on a cruise. I think for me it's also about the money aspect being a big deal. After spending all that money, I want everything to go as well as it can with minimal bumps along the way. Having said that I think that's why I'm nervous to wait too long and not have one of the pieces in place. Ex. I booked the cruise but now there are no cheaper flights. I booked the flights and now I can't find a cruise for the same dates. Now we can't go at all.:(

If you use FF miles when you book a flight and you cancel or change your flight do you lose them the same way they would charge you $150 change/cancelation fee?

How do you get FF miles? Does the airline charge a fee? as you can tell I don't fly often:)

I think like "wishing on a star" I might be one of those people who has everything all planned out instead of just winging it. I think because there are so many of us going it makes it difficult to be as flexible. This trip is a "big deal" for us and only 2 of us have ever gone on a cruise. I think for me it's also about the money aspect being a big deal. After spending all that money, I want everything to go as well as it can with minimal bumps along the way. Having said that I think that's why I'm nervous to wait too long and not have one of the pieces in place. Ex. I booked the cruise but now there are no cheaper flights. I booked the flights and now I can't find a cruise for the same dates. Now we can't go at all.:(

If you use FF miles when you book a flight and you cancel or change your flight do you lose them the same way they would charge you $150 change/cancelation fee?

How do you get FF miles? Does the airline charge a fee? as you can tell I don't fly often:)

Are you looking to go this year?

With your priorities, at this point- if's getting later. Have you looked at flights recently? What are you finding? Also refer to the cruise air board on this site. It's important to read the top stickies, before you post, then post specific questions. :)

Take a look at kayak perhaps to compare flights. Although, definitely- no frills, look at Spirit Air, Southwest etc. most airlines have bag fees. Factor them into costs.

As for getting points, that involves getting credit cards, and having large bonus sign on points. At this point, may not be an option, since some of the bonuses, are for spending a certain amount over 90 days or similar, then are credited. If you are going next year, a good option.