a few questions about Sydney--wifi, wine, and transport

Regarding tips - tipping isn't expected in either Australia or NZ but, naturally it is welcomed if offered in some cases.

Often people leave the change at restaurants/cafes if they have had good service but would rarely tip over 10% in any case.

Taxis, again, just the coin change.

That's about all. You don't tip at hairdressers, beauty salons etc.

OK, so you know that by tips I meant "local information that is good to know" not "leaving extra money after a service" right? :D But I do know that Aussies pay their restaurant/other workers a good wage, so no tips required. I wish the US would adopt this system. I won't ruin it by giving too much but I do agree that leaving coin change is a good policy.

This is a good example of "tips" I am looking for:)

ML

Yes, we know we can each bring one free bottle onboard but I think most cruise lines let you bring more on for a fee. If you've ever looked at what they charge for bottles of wine onboard, it is still cheaper to bring a wine you like and pay the fee than pay for their inferior wines. We will probably try and bring 6 bottles on. We would drink all of it on our balcony and pay for wine before, during and after dinner, so everyone gets something :D

ML

RCI's wine policy:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

Celebrity's wine policy:

"No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25."

Princess' wine policy:

"On the day of embarkation, passengers are permitted to bring one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits, or beers are not permitted.

Any beverages purchased during the cruise at any port of call will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the cruise. Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by local security staff. These items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement."

I noticed that you intend taking wine onboard your cruise, if it's with Carnival forget it. Unlike Carnival ships that cruise from U.S. Based ports ships departing from Aust ports do not allow carry on alcohol

Wow really? We are not cruising Carnival, but we are on RCI Radiance and Celebrity Solstice--do they have similar rules in Australia? I thought I read that we could bring wine onboard those ships but I may have that wrong. This is a very important note, thanks for mentioning it!

ML

Thank you for this, really good to know. I know we will spend some time at Bondi and I assume Westfield Bondi junction is on the way or close. We love Asian food, so Chatswood might be good for a casual lunch or dinner. Could be a great compromise if the hotel doesn't have wifi. And, just to be clear, we don't have any need to be in constant communication, but we do need to check in with the house sitter to see how the dog is doing!

ML

Bondi Junction is where you change from the train to the bus to go down to Bondi Beach. The Westfield is a short walk from the train station. The Harbour Room food court is on level 5.

There is also another good Asian restaurant / food court in Chatswood, The District, just above the railways station, plus there are other restaurants around the station.

If you love Asian food look out for Din Tai Fung restaurants. Best dumplings in the world. Try the steamed "soup" dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) and also the wonton (which are steamed) in spicy sauce. Yum! There is one at World Square, also at Chatswood Westfield, and an outlet in the Westfield Sydney food court.

Wow really? We are not cruising Carnival, but we are on RCI Radiance and Celebrity Solstice--do they have similar rules in Australia? I thought I read that we could bring wine onboard those ships but I may have that wrong. This is a very important note, thanks for mentioning it!

ML

Solstice has very good wine by the glass. We had the premium drinks package and our sommelier always came up with very acceptable and very good wine matches to everything we ate. We actually got to try some wines we'd never tasted before (and that is quite unusual) and I think sometimes we got wines that weren't on the by-the-glass wine list. He certainly broke me away from the Pinot Grigio / Pinot Noir rut I tend to get into on cruises :D

RCI wines were reasonable but that was nearly a year ago, on Rhapsody.

With regards to Asian food, you are staying a short walking distance to Sydney's Chinatown. There are a number of food courts that have food from throughout Asia.

Yes, some of the food courts are quite good but I think the new ones in Chatswood are better. More variety of cuisine.

Also be warned, we've been turned away from restaurants in Chinatown because we weren't Asian. At one restaurant, which had plenty of empty tables, we asked for a table for two and were told "fully booked". As we were leaving an Asian couple arrived, asked for a table for two (no booking) and were shown to a table. :eek: :mad:

We've also had problems getting "real" menus, not the tourist menus, at some restaurants, and the food at the restaurants that have tourist menus is typically poor quality.

RCI's wine policy:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

Celebrity's wine policy:

"No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25."

Princess' wine policy:

"On the day of embarkation, passengers are permitted to bring one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits, or beers are not permitted.

Any beverages purchased during the cruise at any port of call will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the cruise. Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by local security staff. These items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement."

After I read stingau post, I went back and saw your original post about this. I can't believe this--only 2 bottles allowed per cabin per cruise? What about other ports where we may find some good local wine? Can't bring it aboard? This is crazy. Anyone know why it's like this? And I thought cruises out of the US were bad regarding this. We haven't gotten close enough to worry about all the rules.

Thank you for letting me know (and stingau too), I thought it was the same across a cruise line. Looks like we need to add more to the wine budget...

ML

OK, so you know that by tips I meant "local information that is good to know" not "leaving extra money after a service" right? :D But I do know that Aussies pay their restaurant/other workers a good wage, so no tips required. I wish the US would adopt this system. I won't ruin it by giving too much but I do agree that leaving coin change is a good policy.

ML

Thanks for that, it's surprising how many people from your part of the world don't even try to understand local customs. :eek:

Bondi Junction is where you change from the train to the bus to go down to Bondi Beach. The Westfield is a short walk from the train station. The Harbour Room food court is on level 5.

There is also another good Asian restaurant / food court in Chatswood, The District, just above the railways station, plus there are other restaurants around the station.

If you love Asian food look out for Din Tai Fung restaurants. Best dumplings in the world. Try the steamed "soup" dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) and also the wonton (which are steamed) in spicy sauce. Yum! There is one at World Square, also at Chatswood Westfield, and an outlet in the Westfield Sydney food court.

I am making notes on all of this, sounds great. As i read this, I was lusting after a taste--and I just finished an excellent steak w/mushrooms and a nice salad for dinner! Sounds terrific.

ML

After I read stingau post, I went back and saw your original post about this. I can't believe this--only 2 bottles allowed per cabin per cruise? What about other ports where we may find some good local wine? Can't bring it aboard? This is crazy. Anyone know why it's like this? And I thought cruises out of the US were bad regarding this. We haven't gotten close enough to worry about all the rules.

Thank you for letting me know (and stingau too), I thought it was the same across a cruise line. Looks like we need to add more to the wine budget...

ML

I have read posts that say it very much depends on the authorities at each port and/or the people manning the security screening on the day. We had a small bottle of cherry syrup examined on Solstice at Hobart.

It is a shame in some ways. I would have loved to have brought a case of NZ wine onboard with me on our Solstice cruise - not to drink onboard but to take home. :(

I am making notes on all of this, sounds great. As i read this, I was lusting after a taste--and I just finished an excellent steak w/mushrooms and a nice salad for dinner! Sounds terrific.

ML

Now you're making me hungry! :D

With regards to Asian food, you are staying a short walking distance to Sydney's Chinatown. There are a number of food courts that have food from throughout Asia.

I saw that on some maps I was looking at. We always hit Chinatown in any city we are in, but I am concerned after I read OzKiwiJJ's post about not always getting in. I guess we will try it and see what happens. Sort of a bummer but we had similar things happen in China--different entry fees for Chinese vs others. So, we had our Chinese guides buy our tickets.

Now I'm depressed...

ML

I saw that on some maps I was looking at. We always hit Chinatown in any city we are in, but I am concerned after I read OzKiwiJJ's post about not always getting in. I guess we will try it and see what happens. Sort of a bummer but we had similar things happen in China--different entry fees for Chinese vs others. So, we had our Chinese guides buy our tickets.

Now I'm depressed...

ML

Don't be depressed, just stick to the food courts instead of the old-fashioned restaurants. There are also great food outlets in World Square.

Thanks for that, it's surprising how many people from your part of the world don't even try to understand local customs. :eek:

Yes, it is sad how out of touch Americans can be. Of course, we are now in the process of entertaining the world with notions of Donald Trump being our President, so we can sink pretty low :D

I have read posts that say it very much depends on the authorities at each port and/or the people manning the security screening on the day. We had a small bottle of cherry syrup examined on Solstice at Hobart.

It is a shame in some ways. I would have loved to have brought a case of NZ wine onboard with me on our Solstice cruise - not to drink onboard but to take home. :(

This is so wrong. If we were in he US, I would organise a campaign against it!

I am totally bummed out about this..,

ML

Solstice has very good wine by the glass. We had the premium drinks package and our sommelier always came up with very acceptable and very good wine matches to everything we ate. We actually got to try some wines we'd never tasted before (and that is quite unusual) and I think sometimes we got wines that weren't on the by-the-glass wine list. He certainly broke me away from the Pinot Grigio / Pinot Noir rut I tend to get into on cruises :D

RCI wines were reasonable but that was nearly a year ago, on Rhapsody.

We have decided against the drink packages because we can't drink enough to make it pay for both of us. But now that I understand the rules about bringing wine onboard, I'm not so sure.

ML

Now you're making me hungry! :D

Sorry but I had the same reaction to your description of soup dumplings :D

It was a really good steak--a nice thick ribeye, cooked rare, lots of mushrooms. Salad with some onions, red peppers and lots of tomatoes. Ok, now I am just being a brat.

ML

We have decided against the drink packages because we can't drink enough to make it pay for both of us. But now that I understand the rules about bringing wine onboard, I'm not so sure.

ML

We find it borderline but get the package for the convenience. Besides it also covers speciality coffees (as a rule most Australians prefer espresso-based coffees to the brewed stuff), bottled water, mocktails which can be very refreshing when you don't want alcohol, as well as all the alcoholic drinks.

On Celebrity we had a classic package included with our fare - a balcony cabin with package perk was actually marginally cheaper than an inside cabin fare plus buying the drinks package, when we booked, so we either had a "free" drinks package or the "free" benefit of a balcony, whichever way we chose to look at it. :D It only cost us about $12 to upgrade to the premium package.

The prices on most Australian-based cruises are usually quoted as a gratuities-included price. On Solstice cocktails were up to $15.50, which was the limit on the premium package. I can't remember what the wines were, after the first couple of nights, we rarely bothered looking at the wine list, our sommelier was doing such a great job.

On RCI the limit on the Premium and Ultimate packages was $14 per drink, cocktails were all $14 and the better wines were $9-14 a glass. You need to have the Premium package at least to get goos wines on RCI. We waited until we boarded, checked the MDR wine list, did the sums and bought the packages.

It was a really good steak--a nice thick ribeye, cooked rare, lots of mushrooms. Salad with some onions, red peppers and lots of tomatoes. Ok, now I am just being a brat.

ML

Definitely :p

I love rib-eye steaks. :)

Roast lamb for us for dinner tonight, with roast veges and green beans, and home-made gravy.

Thanks for the info on opal card and schedules/links. I will study these so we can get around efficiently. I didn't ask, but are there times not to be on Sydney piublic transportation? I know in New York city, even the police tell you not to ride after 11 pm! Not saying there are issues, just asking.

No real issues with safety at different times. Main issue is it starts shutting down from around that time though. Some areas continue service til about 5 a.m. but it's very limited.

As far as tips, I don't know what to ask, so I am hoping some of you can educate a dopey American. Really, my basic questions have been answered but sometimes you stumble onto something special/different. For example, for you Sydney residents, what's your favorite pub? What do you order (besides beer and wine!)? Any particularly good pubs in CBD, near the Wyndham? I would like to find a nice pub we could call ours while we are there but this might be hard to do for a lot of reasons.

Hmmm, where to start ? :D

I'm not as familiar with the end of town where you are staying, so can't recommend a specific pub close by, but you're a short walk from Surry Hills which has great pubs and food. Check out google maps and look at the area around Elizabeth St, Devonshire St & Foveaux St which are close by.

Otherwise there are some great places in the Wynyard / Martin Place area. Some of these places can be pretty pricey (and some of them ridiculously pricey but worth sticking your nose in the door for a look). Just off Martin Place at the George St end is Ash St and Angel Place. Ash St Cellars are a very pricey wine bar but nice to stop for one if you can afford it, and Felix is a lovely French bistro for a meal. Palmer & Co is a 20's style prohibition whisky bar - it's on Abercrombie Lane. It can be a bit hard to find but someone should be able to point you in the right direction

If you want more 'Australian' style pubs then head into the Rocks area. There are a number along George St, but if you head off the main path and up into the hill behind there, the Lord Nelson and the Hero of Waterloo are great little places. If you like beer the Nelson has it's on micro brewery on site.

Otherwise there are hundreds of pubs in the city. Just take a walk around and pop in. Everything from cheap & nasty to gastropubs. Have a wander into the downstairs area of the GPO on Martin Place, pop into the Arthouse on Pitt St, visit PJ O'Briens (underneath the Grace Hotel on King St) for a taste of Irish theme pub, and check out the Marble Bar (in the basement) and Zeta Bar (on the roof) of the Hilton Hotel (entrances on George St & Pitt St)

Most of the city will be full of the young & the beautiful on a Saturday night, and office workers looking for release on a Friday night but you shouldn't have a problem anywhere really. As GUT said, avoid Kings Cross and the area of George st near the cinemas late at night but everywhere else should be pretty safe. Transport will run until about 11.30pm on weeknights and 12.30 on weekends, and I think buses in the city run pretty well all night.

As to what to drink? Whatever you like !!! You'll find everything from bottled beer to beer on tap, to wines, cider, and spirits. Just please, whatever you do, don't order Fosters (beer). That's the swill we export :D

ML

You'll get some good steaks in Aus.

Hmmm, where to start ? :D

I'm not as familiar with the end of town where you are staying, so can't recommend a specific pub close by, but you're a short walk from Surry Hills which has great pubs and food. Check out google maps and look at the area around Elizabeth St, Devonshire St & Foveaux St which are close by.

Otherwise there are some great places in the Wynyard / Martin Place area. Some of these places can be pretty pricey (and some of them ridiculously pricey but worth sticking your nose in the door for a look). Just off Martin Place at the George St end is Ash St and Angel Place. Ash St Cellars are a very pricey wine bar but nice to stop for one if you can afford it, and Felix is a lovely French bistro for a meal. Palmer & Co is a 20's style prohibition whisky bar - it's on Abercrombie Lane. It can be a bit hard to find but someone should be able to point you in the right direction

If you want more 'Australian' style pubs then head into the Rocks area. There are a number along George St, but if you head off the main path and up into the hill behind there, the Lord Nelson and the Hero of Waterloo are great little places. If you like beer the Nelson has it's on micro brewery on site.

Otherwise there are hundreds of pubs in the city. Just take a walk around and pop in. Everything from cheap & nasty to gastropubs. Have a wander into the downstairs area of the GPO on Martin Place, pop into the Arthouse on Pitt St, visit PJ O'Briens (underneath the Grace Hotel on King St) for a taste of Irish theme pub, and check out the Marble Bar (in the basement) and Zeta Bar (on the roof) of the Hilton Hotel (entrances on George St & Pitt St)

Most of the city will be full of the young & the beautiful on a Saturday night, and office workers looking for release on a Friday night but you shouldn't have a problem anywhere really. As GUT said, avoid Kings Cross and the area of George st near the cinemas late at night but everywhere else should be pretty safe. Transport will run until about 11.30pm on weeknights and 12.30 on weekends, and I think buses in the city run pretty well all night.

As to what to drink? Whatever you like !!! You'll find everything from bottled beer to beer on tap, to wines, cider, and spirits. Just please, whatever you do, don't order Fosters (beer). That's the swill we export :D

I'd 2nd P J s at the Grace in York street and some more traditional pubs in The Rocks, if beer is your drink certainly try a Tooheys New and a Tooheys Old.

Beer in Sydney will come in a midi (10 oz glass) Schooner (15oz) or Pint. Most drink midis or schooners. There are many other types of beers in bottles cans and draught, but the two Tooheys I mentioned dominated in NSW for generations (along with their Tooths counterparts).