First Cruise - Couple of Questions

Eisernes

First post! Thank you to the community on CC. You have been a wealth of knowledge.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on the Constellation 3/5 and I an curious about a few things that I have not been able to find answers to.

We have the premium drink package. Will we be able to take drinks from the mini fridge or will they charge us for them?

Does the TV get regular American cable channels, specifically AMC and Cartoon Network?

I know I know, no one goes on a cruise to watch TV. I am however going on a cruise to relax, not have a schedule, not have any responsibilities, and be waited on hand and foot and sometimes vegging out watching TV counts as relaxation. We also don't think it will be possible with social media to go that long without someone spoiling next Sundays Walking Dead ;)

Thanks!

First post! Thank you to the community on CC. You have been a wealth of knowledge.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on the Constellation 3/5 and I an curious about a few things that I have not been able to find answers to.

We have the premium drink package. Will we be able to take drinks from the mini fridge or will they charge us for them?

Does the TV get regular American cable channels, specifically AMC and Cartoon Network?

I know I know, no one goes on a cruise to watch TV. I am however going on a cruise to relax, not have a schedule, not have any responsibilities, and be waited on hand and foot and sometimes vegging out watching TV counts as relaxation. We also don't think it will be possible with social media to go that long without someone spoiling next Sundays Walking Dead ;)

Thanks!

Welcome to cruising - you have picked a great cruiseline to start with, and Connie is a great ship - have been on her several times.

As to the drinks- no, your package does not include the drinks in the fridge. If you take those you will be charged. You can, however, bring drinks back to your cabin at any time.

I totally get your TV question. We also like to veg out and watch TV sometimes just to chill and who has time to do that in real life, right? Unfortunately, cruises are not known for great TV choices. They want you out of your cabin spending money rather than sitting in your cabin my cynical mind thinks:). I do not recall specifics about the two channels you mention (although I don't believe you get either but am not 100% sure), but in general the answer is no, you do not get a typical choice of channels like in a hotel room. There are alot of choices for news channels, a few sports channels (unfortunately a lot of soccer and rugby:(), but few choices beyond that. S class ships (which Connie is not) have a few more choices of free movies, but both classes of ships are lacking. This is one point I have added to every survey Celebrity has ever given/sent to me in my 30 years cruising with them, but sadly to no avail.

The minibar isn't free unless you're in one of the upper level suites. Some people ask the room attendant to empty that fridge and then they add their own drinks in there to have at hand. But generally you'll need to go to a bar for your drinks (you can't get them through room service either).

TV is from a satellite and it's a pretty limited selection. I don't recall ever seeing AMC (or HBO or Showtime) but Reflection did have Cartoon Network a few weeks ago. Otherwise, it's a few news stations and a movie channel and then some general entertainment channels. TNT was another option a few weeks ago, I think. All in all, it was a handful of random channels at most, but not a full slate of basic cable channels.

Nothing in your cabin is included with your package sorry to say.

Just stop at any bar on your way back to the cabin and pick up a coke or beer or bottle of water if you like and put it in the mini fridge and drink it later. you can stock up as much as you want.

The t.v. does get SOME channels, i don't recall for sure the two you mentioned but cartoon network seems like it was available, just don't count on it.

Nothing in your cabin is included with your package sorry to say.

Just stop at any bar on your way back to the cabin and pick up a coke or beer or bottle of water if you like and put it in the mini fridge and drink it later. you can stock up as much as you want.

The t.v. does get SOME channels, i don't recall for sure the two you mentioned but cartoon network seems like it was available, just don't count on it.

Will they give you an unopened beer at the bar?

The number of American cable channels varies greatly from ship to ship, so it is hard to predict what will be offered on the Constellation. We've been on the Constellation only three times, but the TV channels were very different when we were on her in October 2009 and when we did a trans-Atlantic on her in April 2010.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good tip on asking them to empty the fridge for us. So to be clear we can bring our own soda on board to put in there?

Yes, you can. You can also bring bottled water aboard and two 750ml bottles of wine. You may not bring spirits or beer, as far as I know.

When you get to the port, have them tag your case of pop and/or water and they will deliver it to your stateroom, along with your luggage.

Last one...

We will have a rental car while in town and we are dropping it off at the budget rental office on 17th st. Trying to figure out if it would be a pleasant stroll to the port or if we should get a cab from there. Seems like that depends on which terminal we need to get to. How do we find out which terminal?

Last one...

We will have a rental car while in town and we are dropping it off at the budget rental office on 17th st. Trying to figure out if it would be a pleasant stroll to the port or if we should get a cab from there. Seems like that depends on which terminal we need to get to. How do we find out which terminal?

Take the Taxi, lots of construction going on with all the highways.