Help! Visa for India

dab1952

We have been looking at applying for an e-visa for India (from the UK). The online form asks you to insert AIRPORT of entry and offers you a number of options, but no options for arriving by sea. Has anyone applied for a visa this way? Any advice gratefully accepted!

My Indian visa was based on an airport entry. It might be worth phoning the Indian High Commission in London.

Alternatively check with the cruise line to see whether one is needed if you are entering from a Cruise ship for a limited stay.

The eVisa is only available for specified airports, not for seaports. Visiting on a cruise you need the old fashioned paper in your passport. We've just had to get ours for our upcoming cruise with two Indian ports.

From our experience with the eVisa, you would NOT want to arrive in a seaport with one as it is a time consuming process on arrival (photograph & electronic fingerprinting) especially if they are having any sort of computer problem. You will be glad to have the paper version! Have a wonderful trip!

Welcome to the worst visa process in the World. We have acquired China visas twice and Russian visas as well. Both were easier than acquiring the Indian visa. We ultimately used a visa company, but even dealing with the visa company had to redo our application twice.

Also, the immigration process getting off the ship is a real pain (for the first port of entry). Visiting India was nice, but if we go back, it will be via air.

I think even when applying for an e-visa, you would have to visit an Indian Visa Office. All Idian visas are now pre-processed by VFS and not by the Indian High Commission. Just did this for our 4 day stop over in Chennai last Sept.

You've reminded me of a nightmare few months (no kidding) in 2014 when I applied for the Visa for India when visiting 4 ports of call on a cruise ship last year. There's a declaration, a cover letter and various other documents still on my hard drive. The photograph size is extremely specific.

It may be easier to visit the office in town armed with the paperwork but ultimately I had to send off my passport for the visa to be permanently attached to it. I managed the application itself all on line through their website which appeared to have been translated into English using Google translate. I believe there is a site that can assist but I was determined to do it myself. I knew my passport number off by heart by the time the process was over.

Do build in plenty of time to do this.

Good luck. You could hear the frustration from everyone on the roll call.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Welcome to the worst visa process in the World. We have acquired China visas twice and Russian visas as well. Both were easier than acquiring the Indian visa. We ultimately used a visa company, but even dealing with the visa company had to redo our application twice.

Also, the immigration process getting off the ship is a real pain (for the first port of entry). Visiting India was nice, but if we go back, it will be via air.

We arrived by air so the eVisa was available to us. (it sounded so easy just scan your passport and photograph and submit the extortion (I mean payment) what could be easier. )

The instructions are written as if by someone for whom english is a second language. The requirements for image size and file sizes are maddening (had to resubmit over and over) and the arrival process at Mumbai airport was exactly the opposite of what the signs said. After working our way through the eVisa line we were advised that we would have to move to another line for more photos and fingerprinting. A totally insane process! But India is India.

Edited by 2onboardagain

Ok, it's 20 years since I've been to India - but I couldn't believe how bureaucratic the country was. They just seem to employ 100s and 1000s possibly millions of people checking silly pointless bits of paperwork. The only country where I was required to hand the stub of my boarding pass to someone on leaving the plane, the only country where I have had to fill a form in (including my passport details) to go around a museum (a vintage train museum).

Edited by DYKWIA

I didn't visit the Indian Offices for my Visa. I used a concierge company (it was through work) who dealt with it all for me. They checked the paperwork and the photos were all fine and then I sent them my passport. They sent someone down to the Indian office and they returned with the passport all stamped up which was sent back to me.

It was very expensive though so probably not the best way to do it.

Thanks very much for that. I presume that means personally visiting an Indian High Commission office?

How far in advance can you apply in this way?

We had to travel to the Manchester office last year to obtain ours, there was quite a wait. I think we applied about six weeks before travel.

Get the documents right first time and it's actually a very efficient service here in the UK. Make sure you read the instructions carefully on the website, enclose the right size photos (photo booths give a clear choice, make sure to say where you are going to if done manually) and all the documents including the printed checklist and you shouldn't have an issue. I've done it three times without issue, the last time because I was travelling with my passport I had to leave it very late and it came back in a week using Royal Mail Special Delivery. A word of advice. Pay the small amount extra and put your mobile number for texts and they will keep you updated of progress. Only downer apart from having to faff around is that it's expensive!

Phil

What is really more important and not discussed is what does Celebrity require? HAL and celebrity in prior years have required every passenger to have an Indian visa or they would not allow you to board. I understand it is NOT possible to get a Visa at the port. Would be a shame to be denied boarding.