I'm freaking out, help

angel3401

Long Beach, CA

Try calling the Terminal at Phone: (562) 901-3232...they may be able to either answer, or direct you to the people who can answer the questions of what to do, or if you can even have him board with what he has at hand.

Viva California! :rolleyes:

Edited by AnonomissX

This really sucks and you're right...a first time cruiser would be clueless on documents needed to board. I guess the only option is to go to a local DHS office (if you're near a major city), explain to them the problem and have all the documents he already has and see if they would be willing to put it in writing that what he has satisfies the requirements. A few tears might be helpful.:o

California paper (temporary) DL/ID clearly states that it is not a valid ID.

California is different than the other states.

Sorry to disappoint you but California is not different or unique -- same issue here. People were breaking in the DMV, taking the equipment to make fake licenses. All are now processed centrally and are not valid IDs until the picture one comes in the mail.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are other states that do it this way as well but I have no way of knowing.

Try calling the Terminal at Phone: (562) 901-3232...they may be able to either answer, or direct you to the people who can answer the questions of what to do, or if you can even have him board with what he has at hand.

Viva California! :rolleyes:

Thanks

What sailing was this?

In our case, it was the Carnival Victory, May 2015. They had gotten in the day before the sailing. Realized the error, contacted Carnival, spoke with a Supervisor. Got everything faxed. They had to go veey early to check in, but they made it. This was their experience, but I hope it turns out well for the OP and her friend.

This does remind me of a pre 9/11 experience. I lost my license on a trip. American Airlines let me fly by showing my Sam's card as my id.

Back in the day my brother and I would drive up to New York and tour the ships in port without any documentation. We just had to leave when they made the announcement that those not sailing would have to leave. Those were the days! Your friend can only blame those who are hell-bent to do harm to the US for his problem.

You stated earlier that DHS stated the documents he has in hand are "good enough." The only other thing I can add is to get that in writing on DHS letterhead to present to the agent checking him in. Carnival wants him on the ship and will do anything legal to make it happen.

Disagree.

The friend only has himself to blame for losing his ID. It is not the fault of the State, or Carnival, or Homeland Security.

And I would suggest plan B includes the friend standing on the dock taking a picture of the ship as it leaves, meaning everyone else should plan to sail regardless if the friend is on the ship or not.

Sorry to disappoint you but California is not different or unique -- same issue here. People were breaking in the DMV, taking the equipment to make fake licenses. All are now processed centrally and are not valid IDs until the picture one comes in the mail.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are other states that do it this way as well but I have no way of knowing.

In this matter I wish we were.

Years ago people would go to a big downtown park to get fake ID's. Bit more difficult now.

Another thought and this may not work either but throwing it out there. How about a Costco card or if he may have a business card that has photo on it?

Sorry- not sure what you are thinking, but a "business card"?????? That ANYONE can make and print out multiple names, from home? I would absolutely hope, no one would ever accept this as any identification.

There are too many people here, looking for short cuts, exceptions etc. It SHOULD be difficult to get identification, and there SHOULD be verification and check points in place with the processing by the issuing agency, that takes time. It appears, some seem to think a priority should be given to this person who lost their id, no, it shouldn't. Yes, certainly it is tragic the document was lost, but he does not have an acceptable alternative document. Reality may mean, no boarding.

I don't understand why people have to get rude in discussions. I worded that wrong and should have put business/work ID. Because he has a temporary drivers license (no photo) and birth certificate - people are giving ideas for a photo ID - not trying to give short cuts.

Edited by iavacationer

Watched Homeland Security/TSA allow a 20's something lady board a flight with only a paper birth certificate. This was in Buffalo NY.

They took her aside and questioned her but allowed her on the plane. Wasn't my plane, found it very disconcerting. Who in this day and age doesn't carry photo ID?

I would be very curious to know the circumstances in this day and age where someone without any actual proof of identity is allowed to board a cruise ship with over 3000 people on it without valid color photo proof.

There is no way someone boarded the ship with only faxes and if there was, I would hope Homeland Security would be all over someone coming into the US with no proper documentation and get on the captain for allowing someone to go to other countries without the proper documentation.

Sorry, not buying it.

Edited by gwsster

We are not discussing TSA rules. This is for entering and leaving the US, not boarding a flight to Disneyland! You can get on a flight and thru TSA with alternative identification which has no bearing on this case.

So your Costco Card or employee ID is not going to work.

Sorry- not sure what you are thinking, but a "business card"?????? That ANYONE can make and print out multiple names, from home? I would absolutely hope, no one would ever accept this as any identification.

There are too many people here, looking for short cuts, exceptions etc. It SHOULD be difficult to get identification, and there SHOULD be verification and check points in place with the processing by the issuing agency, that takes time. It appears, some seem to think a priority should be given to this person who lost their id, no, it shouldn't. Yes, certainly it is tragic the document was lost, but he does not have an acceptable alternative document. Reality may mean, no boarding.

I am very interested to see how this turns out. As an Air Force war veteran I would find it a huge risk in this day and age to allow people to cut corners or have exceptions made when we all KNOW there is a threat when it comes to travel like this. Yes, your friend is surely a "good guy". But good guys aren't always what they seem and I would be very very shocked to find out that Carnival is allowing people on these moving passenger ships out in the middle of the ocean with black and white faxed photocopies or documents or with non photo IDs.

Even though I've read that the DL needs a picture, and his doesn't, wouldn't a DL copy be better than none? available at his employment? What about the doctor office? I couldn't use my health insurance until they copied my DL.

Yes he does have a color copy of his license which he received from his employer, he also has the dmv license paper printout, and his birth certificate.

Edited by angel3401

Yes he does have a color copy of his license which he received from his employer, he also has the dmv license paper printout, and his birth certificate.

Not to circumvent the correct process/procedure, but a suggestion...a letter from his employer stating his full name and address, along with the dates of his approved vacation couldn't hurt. Also, having passport-type photos taken and then having a Notary confirm the identity based on the documents he does have (confirms photocopy of DL), and providing documentation with their seal may assist him when dealing with Homeland Security.

Good Luck !

Not to circumvent the correct process/procedure, but a suggestion...a letter from his employer stating his full name and address, along with the dates of his approved vacation couldn't hurt. Also, having passport-type photos taken and then having a Notary confirm the identity based on the documents he does have (confirms photocopy of DL), and providing documentation with their seal may assist him when dealing with Homeland Security.

Good Luck !

ALL of this can be fake. It's no big deal to make official looking "business" documents for business's that don't exist, what notary is going to just look at some "work" document and a photo and verify you are who you say you are??? I would hope no one.

Even those "copies" of the DMV can be faked with alternative photos inserted, with a good photo shop, type program.

Work in Corrections/Law Enforcement, a week and you'll see things VERY differently, that other's just don't, compared to the "normal" thinking.

I am a port agent at a cruise port and my suggestion is to go to the local Customs and border patrol office and bring everything and explain it to them. They are the one that would be the one that can tell you if it is ok or not.

Location Address:

301 E. Ocean Blvd.

Suite 1400

Long Beach, CA 90802

Mailing Address:

Operational Hours:

8:00 AM-4:30 PM (Pacific) Weekdays (Monday-Friday)

Port Code: 2704

Phone: (562) 366-5555

GOOD LUCK!

I am a port agent at a cruise port and my suggestion is to go to the local Customs and border patrol office and bring everything and explain it to them. They are the one that would be the one that can tell you if it is ok or not.

Location Address:

301 E. Ocean Blvd.

Suite 1400

Long Beach, CA 90802

Mailing Address:

Operational Hours:

GOOD LUCK!

Wonderful advice.

Edited by Shmoo here

Location Address:

301 E. Ocean Blvd.

Suite 1400

Long Beach, CA 90802

Mailing Address:

Operational Hours:

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you :)

Ok so, we leave in 2 days and our friend still hasn't received his ID. He lost it a few weeks ago and went to the DMV for a replacement, still hasn't received it. He actually called today and it hasn't even been shipped out. All he has is his birth certificate and a paper copy from dmv without picture. We are in California, what can we do? The only thing he has with his picture is his Costco card. I did call and Carnival said they would accept the dmv paper copy if it had his picture, but california dmv doesnt put pics on the paper copies. :confused::(

Please let us know what finally happens, OK? Hope your friend is able to cruise with your group.

9/11 guys. They can't start letting exceptions in, that's when things like 9/11 start. Time heals wounds, we let our guard down, make exceptions and BAM! I really do hope it works out for you but they have these rlues in place for a reason.

A photoshopped color drivers license, a copy of a computer generated birth certificate and anyone can easily get on an enclosed box with 3k to 4k people on it. Just saying...

Like I said I hope it all works out for you! :(