How do cruise bidding sites offer lower prices?

In order to help someone who posted a question about sites where TA's bid for your business that was correctly deleted because it mentioned the site (not allowed on CC)....I'm reposting the question because it's of general interest.

Generically, it's how can a TA offer a lower price on a Celebrity Cruise than Celebrity itself offers.....since Celebrity doesn't allow discounting of their cruise rates. It's a good question.

Fundamentally it comes down to some of the larger TA's and consortiums of TAs agree to purchase a certain number of rooms either on one cruise or many cruises. In recognition of that, Celebrity offers the TA's a group rate and that group rate is generally lower priced and often has different perks offered than Celebrity is offering. For example, a TA might offer a rate of $3000 on a cruise with a $100 OBC and Celebrity might be charging $3400 but with the "better" option.

The second area of TA discounts or benefits is that some TA's offer perks in addition to what Celebrity offers....perhaps another $100 OBC on top of Celebrity perks...or a free specialty meal, excursion discounts, or the ever unpopular "Discount Book" which generally discounts things you don't want (sorry...I digress). The cost of these offerings comes out of the TA's commission from Celebrity

As far as bidding sites where TA's bid for your business, you may get a number of responses from TA's...but it's really up to you to vet the TA's...is the person responding really associated with the agency (call the agency directly and ask)? Will the agency help if you want to change your cabin or make some other change? Is there any cancellation or change fee? In essence, you have to be sure you know who you are dealing with and don't trust any bidding site to assure that every response is good. (read the fine print on these sites...they disavow most any responsibility as you would expect). You are on your own...do your due diligence and many do and many are quite happy using these sites.

Hope this helps....

Edited by ghstudio

A TA cannot offer a lower price and be a member of IATA. Simply put TAs because of their volume book blocks at a bit lower price and resell. They can offer booking incentives to cruisers in the form of some type of OBC, but cannot discount the actual cruise price except to a group (same price for a group thru X). Agree with what you suggest. I stick with one TA as I know what hrules are and they value my busainess accordingly.

We found our TA by using one of the bidding for your business sites.

Unless u need hand held (and not even sure using a large TA can't also take good care of needy cruisers)I don't know any reason why anyone would book directly with a cruise line...and that is coming from a cruiser that "Cruises on the cheap". I can only imagine how much a TA can save those that cruise in higher priced rooms.

We found our TA by using one of the bidding for your business sites.

Unless u need hand held (and not even sure using a large TA can't also take good care of needy cruisers)I don't know any reason why anyone would book directly with a cruise line...and that is coming from a cruiser that "Cruises on the cheap". I can only imagine how much a TA can save those that cruise in higher priced rooms.

Only reason I can think of is to be able to talk directly with a cruise line without having to go through an agent. I signed up for one of those sites and had "bids". All of the bids were significantly higher than the price we eventually booked with one of the large online agencies. I also discovered that I am not completely comfortable with paying a large amount of money to an agent I don't know or company I'm not familiar with. IIRC there was a discussion last year about one unscrupulous agent who duped a number of people on one of the sites. I like to solicit business rather than the reverse. The price itself was not too different from what the cruise line advertised in that case but we ended up with a huge onboard credit which meant no bill at the end of a 35 day cruise last summer.

Some of the information posted on this thread is utterly incorrect. :rolleyes:

There are MULTIPLE on-line travel agencies that sell cruises at DISCOUNTED PRICES on a regular, and ongoing basis. :cool:

One of those on-line sites is a regular advertiser here on Cruise Critic and often has their own reps doing business on Celebrity ships!

At this moment, the Celebrity website shows the 14 night Equinox transatlantic cruise on 15 April at $899pp for an inside cabin and $949pp for a balcony cabin. :)

An on-line site that I have booked more than a dozen cruises with, has the same ship, same cruise, same date, and same inside cabins for $704pp and the same balcony cabins for $679pp. :eek: :D ;)

While the Celebrity "Tuesday Special" price for the 16 night Reflection transatlantic is listed at $799pp for a balcony, the exact same on-line site has even THAT incredibly low price DISCOUNTED to an even LOWER price of $749pp.

You do NOT need to be part of some group, ANYONE (at least in the US) can book a single cabin or five cabins on these cruises at these DISCOUNTED PRICES and save HUNDREDS of dollars.

All prices from both Celebrity AND the on-line site are per person double occupancy and do not include taxes or tips... which are the SAME whether you book through the cruise line OR through the on-line site. I KNOW because I have DONE SO on MANY occasions.

Edited by teecee60

All I have to say is read the online reviews and know what you are buying before you fork out any money to some unknown TA thousand of miles away. It's up to you to do your own due diligence if you want to avoid problem and stress down the road.

Some of the information posted on this thread is utterly incorrect. :rolleyes:

There are MULTIPLE on-line travel agencies that sell cruises at DISCOUNTED PRICES on a regular, and ongoing basis. :cool:

One of those on-line sites is a regular advertiser here on Cruise Critic and often has their own reps doing business on Celebrity ships!

At this moment, the Celebrity website shows the 14 night Equinox transatlantic cruise on 15 April at $899pp for an inside cabin and $949pp for a balcony cabin. :)

An on-line site that I have booked more than a dozen cruises with, has the same ship, same cruise, same date, and same inside cabins for $704pp and the same balcony cabins for $679pp. :eek: :D ;)

While the Celebrity "Tuesday Special" price for the 16 night Reflection transatlantic is listed at $799pp for a balcony, the exact same on-line site has even THAT incredibly low price DISCOUNTED to an even LOWER price of $749pp.

You do NOT need to be part of some group, ANYONE (at least in the US) can book a single cabin or five cabins on these cruises at these DISCOUNTED PRICES and save HUNDREDS of dollars.

All prices from both Celebrity AND the on-line site are per person double occupancy and do not include taxes or tips... which are the SAME whether you book through the cruise line OR through the on-line site. I KNOW because I have DONE SO on MANY occasions.

Since this online agency advertises on CC, please enlighten me on what the name is? Cause I see many ads on CC, but it must be tailored to my browsing history cause travel agencies are not in any of my ads.

Times like this I wish CC allowed people to private message people.

Since this online agency advertises on CC, please enlighten me on what the name is? Cause I see many ads on CC, but it must be tailored to my browsing history cause travel agencies are not in any of my ads.

Times like this I wish CC allowed people to private message people.

Advertising or not, I don't think we are allowed to name or discuss travel agencies on Cruise Critic.