Cameras!! Confused

The bells

Hey all this is my first cruise and I looked up how fast the ship will be traveling about 15 to 17 mph on average and I was wondering what kind of cameras you guys would recommend if I should get a sport camera since will be in motion or if the ship is sailing slow enough that u can't even notice the difference!! Hope to hear from you guys soon!! Cruising in a month and a half!!

Thanks!!! Happy sailing !

Hey all this is my first cruise and I looked up how fast the ship will be traveling about 15 to 17 mph on average and I was wondering what kind of cameras you guys would recommend if I should get a sport camera since will be in motion or if the ship is sailing slow enough that u can't even notice the difference!! Hope to hear from you guys soon!! Cruising in a month and a half!!

Thanks!!! Happy sailing !

Welcome to CC if you can use it, even the most baic camera will be fine.

If you are planning to buy a new camera for your cruise (or any occasion), buy it at least a month ahead of time & practice practice practice.... I've been taking photographs seriously for over 40 years, and it still takes me several weeks to really master.

Pretty much any modern camera is capable of taking really nice photographs. Don't be worried or intimidated by others who have "professional" cameras.... many of them fall into the category "All the gear, no idea!".

VP

If you are planning to buy a new camera for your cruise (or any occasion), buy it at least a month ahead of time & practice practice practice.... I've been taking photographs seriously for over 40 years, and it still takes me several weeks to really master.

Pretty much any modern camera is capable of taking really nice photographs. Don't be worried or intimidated by others who have "professional" cameras.... many of them fall into the category "All the gear, no idea!".

VP

The one month before bit is good advice, and one spot where digit beat film hands down is the practice practice practice spot.

No need to pay for D&P.

Everything on the ship is moving at the same speed as your camera, so there's no motion issue there; and if the ship is moving at 17 mph while close enough to any stationary object for it to make a difference, then you've got worse problems than camera shake! ;) Any camera will be steady enough.

VP

Great advice, I did that 12 months in advance did lots of practice on numerous trips, cruises and such and still learnt some things from other passengers with similar cameras.:D

I echo the thought of practice, and focus on what makes a good photo. (Hint, it is not the camera!) Practice seeing the light. Practice composition. Look at what makes a photo good by checking out good photos in National Geographic, etc.