More info on the water

I have never had a drink out of bottle of water which made my hair turn green. I have never had a drink of bottled water which required me to have a hepatitis shot. I also no longer have kidney stones after switching to bottled water and bringing my sodium intake to the FDA suggested standards. Therefore I personally have more faith in the bottled water. By the way, of which I drink a minimum of 5 a day.

I have never had renal cancer since avoiding bottle water.

I have not had a cerebral hemorrhage since avoiding bottle water.

I have not had a piano fall on my house since avoiding bottle water.

Then those things have not happened before.

I know it's a flawed example but so are your examples above. :D

Have not had experience with evaporators but quite a lot with Reverse Osmosis.

The quality of the RO Product will depend on your membranes and how they are treated. Most membranes can be damaged by chlorine and will suffer if the water is hard. So the supply water will usually be passed through water softeners and carbon filters first.

The use of the product will determine the choice of membrane. We were using it for medical purposes and so it had to be very high quality. If it's for general domestic use the standards are lower. The output should be monitored for conductivity and then regular assays taken. Breakdowns can occur and problems arise.

To say that RO Water is pure is like saying that cars go fast. It may be true but there is a difference between a Beetle and a Ferrari.

Yes, the pre- and post-filter packs on marine RO units typically are larger than the actual RO skid itself, even given the size and horsepower of the motor and pump required to reach the pressure needed to process sea water.

Now, I don't have much experience with shoreside RO units, other than residential ones, but a big difference between ship's units and commercial and medical ones ashore is that the RO unit is not in the process flow. Meaning that the RO unit used in a factory or hospital places the RO unit in the water supply piping, while the ship's RO unit sends its water to a storage tank. This allows the ship's RO unit to divert all permeate (the output of fresh water) to the sea (or the sewer for a land example) when it does not meet the salinity requirements, without interrupting the water supply to the users (the system of pressure water supply to the cabins, galley, etc. This means that if your RO unit is not performing as it should, while you will not be making or gaining any water, you will not be contaminating your water supply.

I have never had a drink out of bottle of water which made my hair turn green. I have never had a drink of bottled water which required me to have a hepatitis shot. I also no longer have kidney stones after switching to bottled water and bringing my sodium intake to the FDA suggested standards. Therefore I personally have more faith in the bottled water. By the way, of which I drink a minimum of 5 a day.

The lady's hair was turned green from a combination of hot water, chlorine, and the chemicals used in hair dyes, in particular lighteners. Its a known phenomenon.

I'm afraid that if I comment on your experience with cross-contamination by river water that I may say something that I regret, so I will not comment on that specific incident. I will say that commercial ships rely on third party inspectors when it comes to initial construction and subsequent modifications of ships' systems, and further that USPH requirements mandate that all water, whether produced onboard or taken from shore be chlorinated before it goes into the storage tanks, to a level 4 times as high as the level required for the circulating water going to the cabins, and that chlorine level at the cabins is high enough that many folks can taste it.

And I would suggest that in your usage of 5 bottles of water a day, it is the volume of water that is doing more to prevent kidney stones than the water source. I would bet that you did not hydrate that much before you switched to bottled water.

To use your examples of negative results, I have drunk bottled water, but I have never gotten sick from it, but apparently a lot of people have, as witnessed by the Acute GI outbreaks the CDC lists.

And I have drunk ship's water for 6 months a year for 40 years, do not have Hepatitis, green hair, kidney stones, high blood pressure, or really any major illness. But is this due to the water? Hard to prove a negative.

As I say in any of these types of discussions, whether it is bottled water or hand sanitizers, I tell folks to do whatever makes them feel better, but know the facts when deciding. My only problem with the bottled water industry is the vast amount of waste created by the bottles, even though the use of plastics helps keep the petroleum industry I currently work in thriving.

My only problem with the bottled water industry is the vast amount of waste created by the bottles, even though the use of plastics helps keep the petroleum industry I currently work in thriving.

Well I guess we will agree to disagree. You clearly are not a medical doctor, and I for one have extensive knowledge gained through painful experience living at sea. Also thank you for not taking another chop at the US Navy, it does not hold you in good light.

Just curious, are you a consultant for the cruise line industry?

It seems you have a pattern of down playing issues to the extreme while often leaving no out for circumstances other than your own theory. I harken back to the El Faro sinking, where weeks ago you posted in a factual tone the reason for its sinking, yet the ship still lays below the ocean and authorities are still arguing how it went down in the weather.

I have never had renal cancer since avoiding bottle water.

I have not had a cerebral hemorrhage since avoiding bottle water.

I have not had a piano fall on my house since avoiding bottle water.

Then those things have not happened before.

I know it's a flawed example but so are your examples above. :D

It may behoove you to follow along before posting. All items I mentioned, are a part of the previous thread interactions and have been or can be result of water, regardless of its source.

Well I guess we will agree to disagree. You clearly are not a medical doctor, and I for one have extensive knowledge gained through painful experience living at sea. Also thank you for not taking another chop at the US Navy, it does not hold you in good light.

Just curious, are you a consultant for the cruise line industry?

It seems you have a pattern of down playing issues to the extreme while often leaving no out for circumstances other than your own theory. I harken back to the El Faro sinking, where weeks ago you posted in a factual tone the reason for its sinking, yet the ship still lays below the ocean and authorities are still arguing how it went down in the weather.

No, I no longer have any connection to the cruise industry. I worked in it for a few years, back 6 years ago. The only down playing I do is to down play any drama inserted into incidents aboard cruise ships.

In regards to the El Faro, I knew people onboard, knew about the ship, and had served for several years aboard ships much like the El Faro, and I can deduce from the design of ships like her, her cargo, and my past experiences and recorded incidents aboard similar vessels, why a ship like that will take a list in a storm, and how a steam plant will react to that list. The ship's list and loss of power are established facts.

And further to your conjecture that I have an agenda, the only time I have worked as a consultant was to give expert witness testimony against a shipping company.

Edited by chengkp75

Really, you're going to blame RCCL for that response? You do realize none of the people on this forum have anything to do with RCCL, yes?

-

As to the answer to your question, officially water is not allowed. The reality is that is rarely enforced. Try searching the forum, you'll see multiple posts from folks saying they had no problem bringing water.

Quick Clarification:

OP not blaming RCCl-- they ARE blaming RCCL customer or possibly 'customer types' I believe--what the people have to do with RCCL on this forum varies wildly from the fanatical pro to the fanatical con and all in between including sometimes the balanced.

Perhaps not being so quick to come to the defense of the "honor" of RCCL water might be a little less aggressive (troll-y?)

We have always brought a case of water onboard with us & never a problem. Print 2 extra bag tags, tape them on with heavy duty tape & send with your checked luggage & it's delivered to your stateroom. As to refilling water bottles, I would never do it. There are also signs in the Buffet NOT to do that. Major germ spreader.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you have a situation where you're extremely sensitive to water and can only drink bottled water, but don't want to break the rules... there is a water package available for purchase.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Check out the Evian water packages. They sell 12 and 24 bottle packages that will be delivered right to your stateroom and most likely be waiting for you upon arrival.

Holy crap! They charge $39 for a 12 pack of bottled water? Carnival just upped their price of a 12 pack...to $3.99! RC has 1 liter bottles in the 12 pack vs. Carnival's 0.5 liter bottles, but it's still 5 times the price on RC.

Odd that two competing lines have such a disparity in the cost of bottled water onboard. But then again, I doubt anyone chooses their cruise line based on the price of bottled water.

Holy crap! They charge $39 for a 12 pack of bottled water? Carnival just upped their price of a 12 pack...to $3.99! RC has 1 liter bottles in the 12 pack vs. Carnival's 0.5 liter bottles, but it's still 5 times the price on RC.

Odd that two competing lines have such a disparity in the cost of bottled water onboard. But then again, I doubt anyone chooses their cruise line based on the price of bottled water.

Princess charges $6.90 for 10 bottles. My RCCL cruise states 12 bottles for $47. That is crazy expensive.

Yikes, That's almost $4 per bottle. That makes it more expensive than beer. Hmmm. Guess what I'll drink :)

Tom

Princess charges $6.90 for 10 bottles. My RCCL cruise states 12 bottles for $47. That is crazy expensive.