More info on the water

I called RCCL today and asked if I can bring some bottles of water on board. The rep told me, No, the only drinks I can bring is wine and champagne." I told him I dont drink and all I want is water. He said, "you asked me and I told you what you can bring."

So all the recent cruisers, can you give your input. I DO NOT want to fill up at the buffet area, I want water for my cabin in bottles.

Thank you

I called RCCL today and asked if I can bring some bottles of water on board. The rep told me, No, the only drinks I can bring is wine and champagne." I told him I dont drink and all I want is water. He said, "you asked me and I told you what you can bring."

So all the recent cruisers, can you give your input. I DO NOT want to fill up at the buffet area, I want water for my cabin in bottles.

Thank you

Never call and ask for permission to do something from the phone-answerers at RC. What did you expect them to say? Of course they are going to quote you "the rules".

Unless it is spring break time, they really don't care.

Why don't you want to "fill up at the buffet area"??? I take a couple of empty bottles in my suitcase. Fill up as needed. No sweat.

The amount of times the question of 'can i bring water on ....' posted on here is staggering

I only posted it twice. Is it bothering you??? I thought this was a place you can ask questions. Jeez. Never sailed RCCL before..now I know why

Edited by CanICruiseSoon

Why don't you want to "fill up at the buffet area"??? I take a couple of empty bottles in my suitcase. Fill up as needed. No sweat.

Not to bring up "water" war again but the simple answer is some of us are simply not able to drink shipboard water. There is a good possibility of a high sodium count. Sodium causes swollen ankles, high blood pressure and kidney stones to name a few. The amount of sodium is reflected in the maintenance of the evaporation systems onboard which desalinate the water. I know what I am talking about as it was one of many functions I performed at sea in the US Navy. It is quite annoying to hear repeated responses from uneducated individuals (regarding the subject) who state the water onboard is a viable alternative to bottled water which lists ingredients.

Not to bring up "water" war again but the simple answer is some of us are simply not able to drink shipboard water. There is a good possibility of a high sodium count. Sodium causes swollen ankles, high blood pressure and kidney stones to name a few. The amount of sodium is reflected in the maintenance of the evaporation systems onboard which desalinate the water. I know what I am talking about as it was one of many functions I performed at sea in the US Navy. It is quite annoying to hear repeated responses from uneducated individuals (regarding the subject) who state the water onboard is a viable alternative to bottled water which lists ingredients.

On board, the officers have dealt with this question many times. All have said that the sodium level is NOT elevated, that it is usually LOWER than land sources.

I can also see the difference in my wife's ankles.:)

On board, the officers have dealt with this question many times. All have said that the sodium level is NOT elevated, that it is usually LOWER than land sources.

Pfft...what do you think they are going to say???? This happens to be one of the secrets they never want you to know...It takes a lot of work to clean those salinity cells....of course in a perfect world (the first few hours they are new) one could make such a statement. You think there is another reason why individuals on every cruise complain about swollen ankles? If you are onboard and you eat the food, enjoy the soup and or drink the water, you are accessible to high sodium count.

Edited by rolloman

All water on the ship comes from the same source. So the water at the buffet is the same as in your cabin. Ships do change where the water comes from depending on the length of the cruise and other factors.

Water in the buffet is not quite the same as the tap water in your sink in the cabin. All water dispensers, bar guns, soda machines, and ice makers have charcoal filters to remove the residual chlorine from the water, to reduce the maintenance on that equipment. Chlorine can affect some folks' water retention, so the water from the buffet and dining venues is a better choice for them.

Water in the buffet is not quite the same as the tap water in your sink in the cabin. All water dispensers, bar guns, soda machines, and ice makers have charcoal filters to remove the residual chlorine from the water, to reduce the maintenance on that equipment. Chlorine can affect some folks' water retention, so the water from the buffet and dining venues is a better choice for them.

I got this information from one of the answer and questions from the captain corner. The chief said that all taps come from the same source. Maybe this is different on newer ships or all ships.

They also said that during a long cruise when the fresh water is used up, then then make water.

I only posted it twice. Is it bothering you??? I thought this was a place you can ask questions. Jeez. Never sailed RCCL before..now I know why

Really, you're going to blame RCCL for that response? You do realize none of the people on this forum have anything to do with RCCL, yes?

As to the answer to your question, officially water is not allowed. The reality is that is rarely enforced. Try searching the forum, you'll see multiple posts from folks saying they had no problem bringing water.

Except they don't use evaporation but reverse osmosis. That gives you very pure water. Believe me I know.

The swelling comes from the salt in the food. Again, believe me when I tell you that I know about this. The amount of sodium in potable water is trivial compared to food.

Edited by DrD

Except they don't use evaporation but reverse osmosis. That gives you very pure water. Believe me I know.

Maybe it depends on the ship, but a Chief Engineer told me they use both evaporation and reverse osmosis, plus they get fresh water at ports when they can.

I got this information from one of the answer and questions from the captain corner. The chief said that all taps come from the same source. Maybe this is different on newer ships or all ships.

They also said that during a long cruise when the fresh water is used up, then then make water.

Yes, it comes from the same source, but as I've said, the water in the buffet has the chlorine removed, which the water in your sink does not.

As others have already mentioned, bringing water aboard is technically against the rules. If you search threads on this issue however, you'll see numerous folks have reported not having issues. That they've had it brought as part of checked luggage, brought through security, etc. For the most part if it's closed and sealed in original packaging there is not too much done about it.

With that being said, again... it's TECHNICALLY against the rules. Someone in Security might be having a really bad day and taking it out on anyone breaking any type of rule. If that happens, you're out the cost of the case of water. (In the grand scheme of the cruise, a rather small cost.)

As others have said as well, the ship's water is considered safe and drinkable. If you have a situation where you're extremely sensitive to water and can only drink bottled water, but don't want to break the rules... there is a water package available for purchase.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Check out the Evian water packages. They sell 12 and 24 bottle packages that will be delivered right to your stateroom and most likely be waiting for you upon arrival.

Regardless of what choice you make, have fun! The cruise is about enjoying yourself and letting go of your normal worries. :)

Maybe it depends on the ship, but a Chief Engineer told me they use both evaporation and reverse osmosis, plus they get fresh water at ports when they can.

I don't know this for sure.

However, water will taste frankly salty at a concentration of 200mg/liter. So to get 1 gram of sodium, you'd have to drink 5 liters of salty-tasting water.

Cruise lines don't that I know of publish the sodium content of their foods, but we can use some land based restaurants for ballpark figures.

Applebee's chicken fajita rollup with french fries: 4200 mg

Panera bacon turkey bravo on tomato basil: 2920 mg

Olive garden taste of Italy: 3830 mg

So one good restaurant meal has as much sodium as 15-20 LITERS of salty tasting water. Imagine eating 3 meals per day like that. That's where your swelling comes from!

and note that's worst case scenario for the water, usually water has about 9-10 mg sodium per liter, 200 would be the most it could have before you'd not be able to drink it.

Edited by DrD

Well at least we can find our life jackets, since we know how to SEARCH.