Alaska excursions

able58

Hi, we are on the Carnival Legend in August, can anyone point me to where to find alternative excursions ... I have looked on Trip Advisor with little success. The helicopter/dog sled day is just way out of our budget, $500 per person!!!! Any help appreciated.

Hi, we are on the Carnival Legend in August, can anyone point me to where to find alternative excursions ... I have looked on Trip Advisor with little success. The helicopter/dog sled day is just way out of our budget, $500 per person!!!! Any help appreciated.

We are traveling in July on the Legend. We have booked with Harv and Marv in Juneau for whale watching, Dyea Dave in Skagway for a tour to Emerald Lake and back and Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan for a rain forest hike. Can't wait for our trip.

It's more than confusing ... it's completely irrational. This whole site is one of the most haphazard set ups I've ever seen. Trying to find anything is a trial for newcomers.

Every town/port has a web site; the site is often used to help promote tourism and local vendors.

The town web sites are listed in the attached thread. But also open the RESOURCE link I posted from the Alaska forum of tripadvisor where you will find many many helpful sites.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308385

Also, use the SEARCH THIS FORUM tool while you're in the Alaska forum of cruisecritic. Do a search using the word ' budget' and you'll find many past threads for budget friendly and free suggestions at each port.

And there are hundreds of detailed trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of this page. Many of them are photojournals with info on sights, activities, excursions, DIY options, etc.

Edited by mapleleaves

It's more than confusing ... it's completely irrational. This whole site is one of the most haphazard set ups I've ever seen. Trying to find anything is a trial for newcomers.

It is not irrational if you look around, and use this as your starting point on Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

I am not sure what is irrational about using the Alaska board for Alaska specific info, like what to do in Juneau, Ketchikan, or Skagway, all ports in Alaska.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I couldn't think of a better way to organize the site.

I would say anything you do in life for the first time is a learning experience.

Keith

Trying to find anything is a trial for newcomers.

I agree. It is difficult for a newcomer, especially if you have never used this type of website. Below is a link that will take you directly to the Alaska section where you can post questions and do a lot of research for your upcoming cruise. Alaska is wonderful! You will have a fantastic cruise.

Absolutely completely illogical.

If you get to Carnival Legend topics you can't search that, you have to search the entire Carnival fleet. If you ask a Cruise Question you are told that's not the place and sent to a different page ... so what exactly is a cruise question then if not a question about a cruise? If you want to ask a question about Alaska don't ask on the west coast departures page because that's not for Alaska which is part of the west coast departures isn't it? And if you finally find the Alaska page it's listed under "ports of call" ... when was Alaska a port ... isn't it an entire state?

We are on The Legend in July. We have booked Harv and Marv's in Juneau, Bearing Sea in Ketchikan, Rented a jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps in Skagway, and booked the tour through Tracy Fjord. All are recommendations from a friend that took this itinerary last year. Looking forward to them.

I see that the link I thought I had posted yesterday is missing. Sorry! :o :confused:

Here it is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The Alaska board at the link above is a great resource for communicating with others who can give you many answers to your questions. Many people take independent tours (not offered through the cruise lines) and can give you recommendations.

Good luck and happy cruising.