Price of water packages on NCL is EXHORBITANT!

evandbob

I don't know what you get for that $3.99 but NCL's package provides 1L Aquafina bottles. On land those typically run around $1.50 in cases and $2-$2.50 in singles.

At a Wal-Mart or Costco you can get the 12pack for around $18.

So the NCL price is a 200% markup. Very high for water, but not the craziest markup you'll find on a cruise ship.

As others have pointed out, water is free on the ship. Ask your steward to bring you a pitcher of ice water to put in your mini-fridge, That's free!

You couldn't be more wrong. Aquafina sells for $4.99 everywhere every day for a 24pk and on sale for $3.99 or less. I work for a major water bottling company and it cost us about $0.06 a bottle to produce.

I'm sailing on NCL for the 3rd time, but just looked into pre-ordering a 12 pack of water for my cabin. NCL wants $47 and change. On Carnival, the same item is $3.99. Why the ripoff?

I think a daily soda package might be cheaper, but I don't usually drink soda. If I drank alcohol, I would have gotten the free or discounted booze pkg but I don't, so I opted for the dining pkg. instead.

Why is water so expensive on NCL?

You can bring your own bottles of water on NCL, but Carnival does not allow that so they sell water cheap.

Just use the ship's water. It's just as good as bottled.

Plastic bottles are wasteful and unnecessary. Storing and then ultimately disposing of all those bottles is a huge cost for any cruise line. Refilling one bottle on board in your stateroom is a much better way to save money and be better stewards of the environment.
I absolutely agree with you about the water, but no one who cruises can claim to be a steward of the environment. :(

Can you put the water in checked luggahe or are you required to carry on? I know I can also check at curb if I want but specifically asking about checked luggage.

Thank you.

Can you put the water in checked luggahe or are you required to carry on? I know I can also check at curb if I want but specifically asking about checked luggage.

Thank you.

You can put it in checked luggage BUT the checkers might think it is not water at all and your luggage might be side swiped and you have to go to claim it later. Check it in as it is with a luggage label so it can be seen that it hasn't been tampered with and you should be all right.

I cruise with just a carry piece of luggage, and the idea of carrying a case of water is inconceivable to me. I've watched many cruisers struggle to carry on a case of water, sometimes dropping it or watching bottles slip out and then the whole package implodes.

Thanks to the posters who pointed out the size difference between the 12 oz Carnival pkgs and the 1 Liter NCL bottles, that is helpful info!

I may just wind up bringing an insulated cold drink container/bottle and keep filling it up as needed.

Filling your bottle is also the Green way to go, a consideration for the ships.

You don't really have to carry water if you bring a tagged case. Pull up at the porter and check it like luggage. It will be in your cabin along with your luggage.

Edited by Nola26

Filling your bottle is also the Green way to go, a consideration for the ships.

You don't really have to carry water if you bring a tagged case. Pull up at the porter and check it like luggage. It will be in your cabin along with your luggage.

No, NOT USING A BOTTLE at all is the green way to go!

I don't know what you get for that $3.99 but NCL's package provides 1L Aquafina bottles. On land those typically run around $1.50 in cases and $2-$2.50 in singles.

At a Wal-Mart or Costco you can get the 12pack for around $18.

So the NCL price is a 200% markup. Very high for water, but not the craziest markup you'll find on a cruise ship.

As others have pointed out, water is free on the ship. Ask your steward to bring you a pitcher of ice water to put in your mini-fridge, That's free!

There is no such thing as a 200% markup. If you are going to use a term please learn what it means!

Carnival lowered their prices on water when they stopped allowing people to bring on board their own beverages. NCL still allows unlimited carry-on of soda, bottled water, juices, etc. (anything non-alcoholic) and unlimited wine in bottles with a $15 corkage fee. If you don't want to carry-on your own or use the tap water, NCL is charging you for the convenience of providing it, your choice to pay it or not.

Actually, Carnival also allows unlimited carry-on of canned soda, canned juices and canned water.

Canned water is out there but can be hard to find. I actually bought some last year at Target but could not find it this year.

Actually, Carnival also allows unlimited carry-on of canned soda, canned juices and canned water.

Canned water is out there but can be hard to find. I actually bought some last year at Target but could not find it this year.

Carnival only allows 12 cans or carton of 12 ounces or less per person.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Can you buy bottled water at any of the bars, or must it be through the packaged deal?

You can buy individual bottles. They are usually selling them on port days for people to take off.

I have no idea whether they sell them in bars. I've never looked.

There is no such thing as a 200% markup. If you are going to use a term please learn what it means!

Don't be foolish, of course there is. Markup = (Sale Price - Cost) / Cost.

If NCL buys their cases from Costco at $15 and sells them for $45, that is a markup of 200%. Math works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You couldn't be more wrong. Aquafina sells for $4.99 everywhere every day for a 24pk and on sale for $3.99 or less. I work for a major water bottling company and it cost us about $0.06 a bottle to produce.

I suppose I could be more wrong since here is 16 Liters of Aquafina for $13. http://www.walmart.com/ip/20704081?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228025388096&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=84509810792&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=165409195712&veh=sem

You're likely making the same mistake as everyone else and not considering that NCL is selling the large 1L bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk