Inside cabin differences--Regal

colonialinnkeeper

We are looking at booking on the Regal and noticed that some inside cabins are "side to side" and some are traditional "front to back". Can anyone tell me the differences and the pros and cons of each? Does placement on ship or deck matter? Thanks.

A quick search found a few threads on sideways inside cabins which are similar on most ships. Here is a thread on the Royal, sister ship to the Regal.

The sideways discussion starts a few posts in.......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181809&highlight=sideways+insides

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We are looking at booking on the Regal and noticed that some inside cabins are "side to side" and some are traditional "front to back". Can anyone tell me the differences and the pros and cons of each? Does placement on ship or deck matter? Thanks.
The sideways cabins are larger and roomier. Very different layout. You enter the cabin directly into the sleeping area which makes it roomier but the negative is lack of privacy if one person opens the cabin door. I've heard that another negative is more hallway noise if people are talking in the hallway.

I've booked a sideways cabin on my upcoming Royal cruise: C323. I booked it for the following reasons:

-- near the forward staircase

-- not directly next to an elevator shaft

-- there are cabin decks above and below

-- the white space behind the cabin is an air duct. There'll be a little noise but it'll be constant.

The sideways cabins are larger and roomier. Very different layout. You enter the cabin directly into the sleeping area which makes it roomier but the negative is lack of privacy if one person opens the cabin door. I've heard that another negative is more hallway noise if people are talking in the hallway.

I've booked a sideways cabin on my upcoming Royal cruise: C323. I booked it for the following reasons:

-- the white space behind the cabin is an air duct. There'll be a little noise but it'll be constant.

I have never noticed anymore noise in this room than any other room. I think your comments regarding location is the key

Side way cabins are much better, bigger and lots of storage space.

Hi Pam,

Can you let us know about the air duct noise if any when you come home. My friend booked the same cabin C323.

Thank you,

Tony

On the Royal/Regal some of the sideways cabins have beds for a 3rd and 4th passenger mounted on the wall.

If there are only two of you, you want to avoid this layout unless you like bumping your head and shoulders into these beds all cruise long. Pick a sideways that is just for two people.

Hi Pam,

Can you let us know about the air duct noise if any when you come home. My friend booked the same cabin C323.

I haven't sailed yet... Will in April. A friend had this cabin last year which is how I know about it. She said that she heard a constant but very low sound, a little like "white noise" but barely noticeable. Sound is subjective... some people are far more sensitive to sound levels than others.

I haven't sailed yet... Will in April. A friend had this cabin last year which is how I know about it. She said that she heard a constant but very low sound, a little like "white noise" but barely noticeable. Sound is subjective... some people are far more sensitive to sound levels than others.

Thank you Pam, Have a great Cruise!! White Noise???

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Avoid like the plague inside cabins which sleep four (unless

you have more than 2 in your party)

On regal/royal, the extra berths in many insides are mounted on

the walls.

Also, avoid cliches. (like the plague)

Thank you Pam, Have a great Cruise!! White Noise???
Thanks.

There's a technical definition for "white noise" that has to do with sound waves, pitch, frequency, etc. but essentially, white noise is background noise. It's sometimes called "sound masking." A fan is an example of white noise that you hear but which masks other sounds. White noise is not a bad thing. Quite a few people sleep better with some background noise and buy an app for their phone or use a small machine that generates white noise patterns to help them sleep.

Thanks.

There's a technical definition for "white noise" that has to do with sound waves, pitch, frequency, etc. but essentially, white noise is background noise. It's sometimes called "sound masking." A fan is an example of white noise that you hear but which masks other sounds. White noise is not a bad thing. Quite a few people sleep better with some background noise and buy an app for their phone or use a small machine that generates white noise patterns to help them sleep.

Hi Pam, How can we tell if the inside cabin is 'side to side' or 'front to back' ? We are platinum members and this is the first time that i have learned that there is a difference. !!! We are booked on the Regal Princess for March 2017 cabin B418.

Many Thanks.

Hi Pam, How can we tell if the inside cabin is 'side to side' or 'front to back' ? We are platinum members and this is the first time that i have learned that there is a difference. !!! We are booked on the Regal Princess for March 2017 cabin B418.

Many Thanks.

The deck plans show the cabin orientations & your cabin B418 is a sideways cabin that is parallel to the hallway & is for 2 people.

Unfortunately their online deck plans do not show the red dot indicating when it's a quad cabin with the closed upper bunks protruding from the side walls like B430/431. It's possible to view quad cabins by taking an extra step of changing the number of "Guests" from "any" to "4". Deck plans in brochures do show cabin configurations.

Our only quad was a free upgrade from inside to obstructed OV on the Golden with the closed upper bunks protruding from the walls & we had them split the queen bed into twins to minimize our chances of splitting our heads on them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The deck plans show the cabin orientations & your cabin B418 is a sideways cabin that is parallel to the hallway & is for 2 people.

Unfortunately their online deck plans do not show the red dot indicating when it's a quad cabin with the closed upper bunks protruding from the side walls like B430/431. It's possible to view quad cabins by taking an extra step of changing the number of "Guests" from "any" to "4". Deck plans in brochures do show cabin configurations.

Our only quad was a free upgrade from inside to obstructed OV on the Golden with the closed upper bunks protruding from the walls & we had them split the queen bed into twins to minimize our chances of splitting our heads on them.

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You're welcome...Pam wasn't currently on CC (no green dot on CC app) so I decided to reply. ;)
Thanks! I'm in my dermatologist's waiting room for a skin check. The joys of years in the sun. Not a question of if but when.

Thanks! I'm in my dermatologist's waiting room for a skin check. The joys of years in the sun. Not a question of if but when.

And many of those years in the sun was enjoying your wonderful travels around the world! :)

Dh and I usually book a balcony or mini suite-- for the first time we are booking inside cabin on the Regal for New England cruise-- Reason being that if hopefully all goes well, we will only have one sea day-- inside cabin is about $500 less per person, and we figure we really will "just sleep" in the cabin- hate wasting money... Anyway, on the advise of many well meaning persons on this board, we went ahead and booked R406--- I believe this cabin is just for 2 persons and in a very quiet spot. I will review it after our fall trip.

Thanks.

Thanks Pam,

My wife told me I have been making white noise for years when I was sleeping. :eek: :eek: LOL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Your the BEST,

Tony