MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Oh no.... I sincerely hope I didn't somehow transfer my horrible cabin steward karma to you via cyberspace!!!

Just out of curiosity.... Did his name start with an L? And was he fresh off of the Breakaway???

Stacey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL Stacey. Nope, his name didn't start with a L. :D I think this guy was fresh off the country he came from and maybe was new? I'm not really sure. That or maybe he was at the end of his contract and just didn't care anymore. :(

Although I have never cruised with Norwegian, I thoroughly enjoy reading all of your awesome reviews. In fact, I look forward to them. I feel so fortunate that you cruise as often as you do and that you take the time to write such fun and detailed reviews. I appreciate your candor with pointing out both the good and the not so good about every ship (no matter which cruise line) you cruise on. I've only cruised with Carnival but may consider NCL for a future cruise after reading your reviews. Can't wait for the rest of this one and especially your Breeze review.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Aww thank you! I appreciate this. Although I mainly cruise with NCL, it has always just worked out that way for us because of the awesome kids/family sail free promos they do, which has always made it cheaper than any of the other cruise lines. I'm super excited about cruising the Breeze and can't wait. I'm also so glad that I never let anyone convince me not to sail with a certain line because of their opinions or experiences with them. Otherwise, I would have never tried Carnival and I have had nothing but AWESOME experiences with them. I have a feeling once I'm done cruising all the NCL ships, Carnival will be my new line to cruise with mainly. I would love to try RC again, but their pricing is just ridiculous compared to NCL and Carnival. I am playing the waiting game until I catch a good deal. :p

I will always state what my experience was, both the good and the bad. I will always have a great time no matter what. That's just me. I'm not a cheerleader for any line but a cheerleader for cruising in general. :p :D I'm glad that shows in my reviews.

This is a shuffleboard table. Regulation is VERY long' date=' (I don't think this is regulation). You put coins in a coin slot somewhere, usually at the end or in the middle where the pegs are. The pegs descend with the right number of coins. Now you can slide the 'pucks' all the way down the table. The sand, or usually cornmeal, is for easier sliding. Just like the corn meal on the wooden dance floors in any Texas honky tonk to make dancing easier. ;) You then start with your pucks, and slide them all the way down the table WITHOUT going off. You can also knock off your opponent's pucks so they lose points. When the game is over, those pegs pop back up so you have to put more $$$ in to play again.

[/size']

Thanks Robin. I had no idea how you would play this game, but that explains it. I didn't see a place to put money in (or a card), but then again I didn't realize you needed money to play it so I wasn't looking either. :) (BTW, I would fall on my rump if I danced on cornmeal :eek:).

Love your reviews, especially when it is a ship I will be going on. We will be bringing her to Tampa from Barcelona in the fall. 14 days that I am sure will be wonderful. Thank you for all the work you put into making them so fun and information filled.

Aww thanks. Glad you like the review so far. Lucky you going from Barcelon to Tampa in a repo cruise. How cool. Have a great cruise!

So sorry to hear about the room steward. Hope it gets better.

Thank you.

So excited and see a review from you. I've used the links on your signature to help us decide what to do at our ports... Thanks so much for sharing.

P.S. -Happy birthday

P.P.S. - I love your attitude of having a sense of humor and going with the flow.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

So glad that you find the reviews informative and helpful. That's the main reason behind the reviews. I love helping people out and giving back to the community. So many have helped me out.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for the awesome comment about my attitude and sense of humor. I try to live life to the fullest. :)

Coming along on your cruise in anticipation of my Dawn sailing in a few weeks! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad to have you and I hope you have a wonderful Dawn cruise. :)

Well I like others have mentioned also have never sailed NCL but I have been reading every one of your reviews and I must get on one of these ships in the near future.

Thanks once again for your time and effort while you have so many other things going on.

Thanks and glad you are enjoying the reviews. I appreciate the comments. :)

So the specialty restaurants are ala carte now instead of a single price????? :eek:

Well I'm not sure about all of them, but there have been a lot of changes. We normally don't eat in the specialty restaurants unless it's Teppanyaki or the Asian restaurant. Now that they have made the Asian restaurant free, we have only been there lately. I do remember reading something about the a la carte but haven't really paid attention to eat since it really doesn't concern us. Sorry I couldn't have been more help. :(

I'm enjoying your review, as usual. I sure hope you spoke to someone in management about the rude and lazy room steward! Unacceptable!

Actually I didn't. I'm just not the type of person that likes to complain...well, at least to someone that has the authority to get someone in trouble. I'll sit around and complain with my hubby though. :p I hate to get anyone in trouble. I try to write things off as someone having a bad day...although his "bad day" continued all week and I have a tendency to believe it was not just a bad day. I did have to call customer service a few times about things and made a few remarks about "I told my room steward this several times....." to imply of the type of service I have been receiving with him, but they totally blew it off each time. :rolleyes:

Now mind you this room steward never once introduced himself or said his name. I would learn by the 5th day what his name was and that was only because I overheard one of the other room stewards say his name in the hall. He was Mr Noname Steward to us this cruise....as well as we were Mr & Mrs Noname to him the rest of the cruise. I have never been on any cruise were the room steward did not ever call us by our names...whether it be our first or last name...they always said one every time they seen us. I am always SO amazed at how they remember the names of so many people each week. I know I could never do it. But the room steward not only never called us by our names once, he also never said hello or acknowledge us when he seen us coming or going.

One of the reason I have booked an inside cabin on Deck 8 was because I was told that the deck had many suites on it and they usually got the best cabin stewards.

Our steward on the Jewel last spring break was phenomenal. Now I'm wondering if we'll get stuck next week with a dud like you did.

I understand that nothing will ever be perfect and rarely complain, but under the circumstances I would have asked for a different steward.

Edited by allentexan

P2240698%20copy-L.jpg

So.....does that shirt really say "Let The Sea See You Pee" or is that just the way it is folding? I kinda like it. :o

Trix :D

PS....Love your reviews btw.

• Like 1

One of the reason I have booked an inside cabin on Deck 8 was because I was told that the deck had many suites on it and they usually got the best cabin stewards.

Our steward on the Jewel last spring break was phenomenal. Now I'm wondering if we'll get stuck next week with a dud like you did.

Did you ever consider contacting guest services to complain? I understand that nothing will ever be perfect and rarely complain, but under the circumstances I would have asked for a different steward.

Well, sorry to tell ya but there's no suites on deck 8 on this ship. :o Just interiors, ocean view and balcony rooms. I hope you don't get stuck with this dud. Are you in the aft section?

So.....does that shirt really say "Let The Sea See You Pee" or is that just the way it is folding? I kinda like it. :o

Trix :D

PS....Love your reviews btw.

OMG!!! I'm totally cracking up right now!!! :eek: I didn't even realize it looked like that!! Haha, that would be an awesome conversation starter shirt for sure!!

Nope, it actually says Let the Sea Set you Free. :p I'm still laughing!!

• Like 1

Well, sorry to tell ya but there's no suites on deck 8 on this ship. :o Just interiors, ocean view and balcony rooms. I hope you don't get stuck with this dud. Are you in the aft section?

OMG!!! I'm totally cracking up right now!!! :eek: I didn't even realize it looked like that!! Haha, that would be an awesome conversation starter shirt for sure!!

Nope, it actually says Let the Sea Set you Free. :p I'm still laughing!!

Actually there is 4 aft penthouse suite 8630,8632,8130 & 8132 category sf

Enjoying your review (as always). I know that when NCLA started, they bought one partial built ship - which became the POA and a partial hull which was scrapped and the final Jewel class ships was finished for the third NCLA ship - the Pride of Hawaii. The Pride of Aloha was originally the Sky (now back to Sky). She was changed over earlier than expected due to delays in the other two ships - including a flooding/sinking while being built.

I see you tried the White Zinfandel - I know I suggested that you try it.:)

It is my DW's favorite wine. We dined in LaCucina on our wedding anniversary in 2012 - we did have reservations - even so a perk of being in a suite (not the Haven) is being able to use the concierge to make last minute reservations.

BTW isn't that also a Platinum Perk?

Too bad about your room steward - not typical of NCL - but you know that :D

Yes there are 4 suites (SF) on deck 8 aft - we stayed in an SF on deck 10 on our last cruise - our steward was quite friendly and very proud of his work - he had just been promoted to being a suite steward - he had the two suites along with the two balcony cabins on either side. He was being evaluated by some NCL brass and actually used our cabin as his showpiece - we found this out when we came back to the room a bit early to grab some items and change clothes and he was waiting at our door:) The brass never showed so we all went about our business.

We are just over 6mo out from our next cruise - Canada/New England on the Dawn - I am in full out planning mode - finding out that many of the private excursions I was looking at are already booked. Having to go to back up plans already :eek:

I hope there are, my parents will be in 8130.... which is supposed to be an aft PH suite...

Cracking up over that shirt!! That's awesome I never saw it but glad someone pointed it out. I needed that laugh.

Enjoying this review very much. Maybe even a little more than the ones before as I am finally sailing NCL and trying to learn as much as I can. You really need to earn a referral perk. I may of never looked at NCL if it wasn't for you. Looks like many others are in the same "boat".

We do have the drink and dining package which I'm excited to try. We are not huge drinkers but I like a few a day and I couldn't afford what you had to pay. Your dinner looked good. I've been scouring the menus I can find deciding where to go and what to try. We are huge Carbonera fans after trying it on CCL. Please try it there if you can. We only ate in the dining room twice last year. We had the aft dining room and the shudder was so bad I could not stand it so we found other options to eat.

I'm excited to keep reading and learning!!

What a shame with the room steward... I am not really sure what I would do about it, I am sure it puts a sour taste that we just do not want on our cruise. Hopefully it got better for you later on :)

I will have to try the toasted almond drink. I usually stick to whisky, but I do enjoy chocolate and almond drinks here and there.

You're right. I was thinking of our cabin on the Carnival Freedom. Deck 8 on the Jewel and Jade was recommended on some other site as one of the best choices.

We have one of the sideways obstructed view rooms near the front part of midship.

Enjoying your review and your daughter is adorable. We sailed the Jade 2 weeks in 2015 and plan to do the same this year. Our room steward, deck 8 midship was fabulous. So sorry yours was not.

I'm certainly not an NCL champion but Our stewards in ocean view and inside staterooms have been every bit as good as they were in the Haven. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was at the end of his contract and not planning on returning.

I asked our room steward on ROyal Caribbean for an extra pillow, we only had two for the room. He told us they didn't have any and to buy one in port. Our room steward on HAL had the nerve to stand there the last day of our Cruise and ask for an additional tip above the DSC. This after he, "forgot" to both make up and turn down our room three days. I know both these lines have good reputations. I would sail HAL again and chalked it up to just one bad steward but actually swore off cruising for several years after our Royal Caribbean cruise. When we returned to cruising it was Ncl and the excellent staff is what keeps us coming back. Treating staff well and ensuring your staff are doing their job is paramount to repeat customers. We sailed the Jade in Europe. The staff and entire operation of the ship was top notch. I hope your experience was an anomaly.

Btw, happy birthday.

Edited by littlelulu01

Actually there is 4 aft penthouse suite 8630,8632,8130 & 8132 category sf

Really? I swear I walked down there and didn't see anything and I had looked it up online and it didn't mention anything other than interiors, ocean views and balconies on that floor. I stand corrected. :p But it didn't improve our service. LOL :o

Enjoying your review (as always). I know that when NCLA started, they bought one partial built ship - which became the POA and a partial hull which was scrapped and the final Jewel class ships was finished for the third NCLA ship - the Pride of Hawaii. The Pride of Aloha was originally the Sky (now back to Sky). She was changed over earlier than expected due to delays in the other two ships - including a flooding/sinking while being built.

I see you tried the White Zinfandel - I know I suggested that you try it.

It is my DW's favorite wine. We dined in LaCucina on our wedding anniversary in 2012 - we did have reservations - even so a perk of being in a suite (not the Haven) is being able to use the concierge to make last minute reservations.

BTW isn't that also a Platinum Perk?

Too bad about your room steward - not typical of NCL - but you know that

Yes there are 4 suites (SF) on deck 8 aft - we stayed in an SF on deck 10 on our last cruise - our steward was quite friendly and very proud of his work - he had just been promoted to being a suite steward - he had the two suites along with the two balcony cabins on either side. He was being evaluated by some NCL brass and actually used our cabin as his showpiece - we found this out when we came back to the room a bit early to grab some items and change clothes and he was waiting at our door The brass never showed so we all went about our business.

We are just over 6mo out from our next cruise - Canada/New England on the Dawn - I am in full out planning mode - finding out that many of the private excursions I was looking at are already booked. Having to go to back up plans already

Yep we tried the "White" (which wasn't really white) Zinfande. It wasn't too bad. Still a bit of a bitter taste but obviously we were definitely able to drink it all with no problem. So I'm keeping that on my list so far. :D

Yes, having a concierge is a perk of being Platinum, however I have no idea who or how you get one? I have never received anything about it in my room nor have I ever been introduced or anything. So I have never really checked into it. But honestly, I have always liked doing things on my own and hate to "bother" someone else to make a reservation when I can do it myself. I know it sounds weird, but to me, it's just a waste.

Yes, I absolutely know this room steward is not the norm at all. I have never ran across anything like this before. Usually the entire staff goes out of their way to be overly friendly and helpful. This really caught me off guard.

I'm looking at the blue prints now and see the penthouse suites back there. Hmm, I wonder how I missed those. :confused: Oh well, my bad. I was definitely wrong. Oops. (It didn't change the service we got though and I really hope he was not the person that served them). :eek:

Oh my, I hope you are able to figure out what to do on your cruise. Eek. Let the pressure begin. :o Have a great cruise.

LMAO....I read that way too!

LOL. I hadn't even noticed. :eek: :p

I hope there are, my parents will be in 8130.... which is supposed to be an aft PH suite...

I'm sorry I was wrong. :o But then again, maybe there's not and your parents would just be too disappointed in this and maybe I should just go in their place. :D

Cracking up over that shirt!! That's awesome I never saw it but glad someone pointed it out. I needed that laugh.

Enjoying this review very much. Maybe even a little more than the ones before as I am finally sailing NCL and trying to learn as much as I can. You really need to earn a referral perk. I may of never looked at NCL if it wasn't for you. Looks like many others are in the same "boat".

We do have the drink and dining package which I'm excited to try. We are not huge drinkers but I like a few a day and I couldn't afford what you had to pay. Your dinner looked good. I've been scouring the menus I can find deciding where to go and what to try. We are huge Carbonera fans after trying it on CCL. Please try it there if you can. We only ate in the dining room twice last year. We had the aft dining room and the shudder was so bad I could not stand it so we found other options to eat.

I'm excited to keep reading and learning!!

Hi there and thanks for the comments. I'm glad it was pointed out too. LOL It gave me a good laugh.

Uh oh, coming into a new boat huh? :p Which are you sailing? We had the drink package last time and it was WONDERFUL. We had a good time. We will have it again on our next cruise with NCL and looking forward to being able to enjoy a drink without having to worry about the cost next time.

I will definitely have to try the Carbonera on CCL. I think I may be hooked! I come home wanting to look at recipes now. :D

Thanks for your review! We sail on the Jade next week and can't wait!

Anjie

You are welcome and have a great cruise!

Edited by mitsugirly

Once again thanks for taking the pictures and the review. Your room steward does not seem like a nice person:(

You are very welcome. Nope Rasfah was not a nice person. :(

What a shame with the room steward... I am not really sure what I would do about it, I am sure it puts a sour taste that we just do not want on our cruise. Hopefully it got better for you later on :)

I will have to try the toasted almond drink. I usually stick to whisky, but I do enjoy chocolate and almond drinks here and there.

Yes, it did put a sour taste on the cruise from the beginning. I'm sorry to say it only got worse by the end of the week. More to come... :cool:

I discovered the toasted almond on our Bermuda cruise on the Breakaway last year and I'm hooked now. It's my favorite now. :)