2 excursions in one day, bad idea?

righthand1

We will be in Ketchikan on Norwegian cruise in late August, schedule port time from 7am to 4 pm. Currently we are booking a seacycle tour that is scheduled for 8 am-11 am. Now we are thinking about adding the Misty Fjord floatplane trip departing time at 11.45 am. The first tour operator said they can drop us at the floatplane company in time since it is on their way, and should be no problem. But are we cutting it too close? Anyone did something like this before?

We are new to Alaska cruise, so I don't know if we are just too concerned here. But I was thinking about what will happen if the cruise get there late. If the first tour starts and ends late, then we might miss the floatplane reservation. (and that's expensive.) I don't know how the tour operators adjust their time throughout the day, if at all, if the ship is late.

There is another flight later in the afternoon which will get to the dock at 3 pm, but we are concerned of missing the cruise ship if the flight is late or etc. So probably too nervous to book that one. We probably will do the 1145 am flight, or not at all. But what do you think?

I also wonder if the cruise ship schedule tends to change up until the cruise date? We are booking excursions based on it in all the ports. but I don't know how much flexibility we should try to be, in case the ship schedule changes. We are booking independently..

Do you recommend just one organized excursions per Alaska port, then doing things independently the rest of the time? Are we too ambitious here to think about doing 2?

Thank you so much.

Edited by righthand1

I do two excursions in ports whenever I can (i.e. I have the time and the money!). However, I've always booked mine through the cruise line. I know so many people save so much money doing it on their own, but I am that person that would get left. I would look into the excursion companies' policy on cancellation in case the cruise schedule changes. Maybe try to determine the distance between excursion 1 and excursion 2 to see if it's likely you will be on time.

If you have two that you really want to do then do it. But if you do it on your own there is always some risk. Of the two times I would do the earlier one. Just think through lunch and how you will deal with that.

You do need to be on the ship 30 minutes prior to departure which is why I would not do the later one.

Other thing to think through is your own stamina. And do pace yourself.

Keith

Most of the time, ship schedules are close to what is posted. I do, 2 tours frequently, and 3 occasionally.

You most certainly would have NO problem taking the later flight, float plane docks are minutes from the cruise ships. You will ALWAYS, fully disclose your port time with the vendor, and go with their recommendations.

Likely the early flight would be fine as well, especially with the drop off. But, 45 minutes is going to be tight, if the first tour starts late, runs over etc. You can also state you are on that early morning tour- and see what the flight seeing vendor suggests for your time.

Thank you everyone.

So we just booked the Misty Fjord flightseeing departing at 1145 am, need to check in no later than 1125 am. The morning tour will be in Ward Cove area, so not that far away I think, and they will drop us off at the floatplane company on the way back. (They schedule to drop off at the dock at 11am-1115 am, so we should get to the floatplane company hopefully before that.) Upon talking to both companies, sounds like it should work out just fine. Though to be honest I am still a bit nervous about booking it back to back and really hope everything go smoothly.

We really want to see Totem Bright, but since we chose to do Misty Fjord we had to drop it. I don't think we will have time.

However we are still hoping to briefly see some nice totems. We will be dropped off at the cruise ship at 115 pm after the flight. Do we have time to go to Totem Heritage Center? It seems to be closer. Should we walk or take shuttle bus? Hope to also briefly see Creek Street. Ideally we hope to be back near the ship by 3 pm. (All Aboard at 330pm)

Thank you very much.

Thank you everyone.

So we just booked the Misty Fjord flightseeing departing at 1145 am, need to check in no later than 1125 am. The morning tour will be in Ward Cove area, so not that far away I think, and they will drop us off at the floatplane company on the way back. (They schedule to drop off at the dock at 11am-1115 am, so we should get to the floatplane company hopefully before that.) Upon talking to both companies, sounds like it should work out just fine. Though to be honest I am still a bit nervous about booking it back to back and really hope everything go smoothly.

We really want to see Totem Bright, but since we chose to do Misty Fjord we had to drop it. I don't think we will have time.

However we are still hoping to briefly see some nice totems. We will be dropped off at the cruise ship at 115 pm after the flight. Do we have time to go to Totem Heritage Center? It seems to be closer. Should we walk or take shuttle bus? Hope to also briefly see Creek Street. Ideally we hope to be back near the ship by 3 pm. (All Aboard at 330pm)

Thank you very much.

Sorry, Ward Lake is out by Totem Bight and not near the dock or floatplane docks. The floatplane docks are right next to dock 4, so you won't be dropped of that far in advance of the cruise ship dock. You have time for a Creek Street look, but really not enough time for the Totem Heritage Museum. It is sometimes faster to walk there, rather than wait for the shuttle buses, which can be infrequent and standing room only.

We are flying with Taquan Air, does that make a difference? Do all the companies depart from the same floatplane dock near the cruiseship? From the discussion with the companies, it sounds like Taquan Air is mid way between the dock and the first tour. Wanna make sure they will drop us off at the right place here! If it is actually near the cruise ship dock, then we are cutting it really close. Now I'm getting nervous. I was looking on Google maps, but not sure if the company location and where they will take off are the same.

Edited by righthand1

We are flying with Taquan Air, does that make a difference? Do all the companies depart from the same floatplane dock near the cruiseship? From the discussion with the companies, it sounds like Taquan Air is mid way between the dock and the first tour. Wanna make sure they will drop us off at the right place here! If it is actually near the cruise ship dock, then we are cutting it really close. Now I'm getting nervous. I was looking on Google maps, but not sure if the company location and where they will take off are the same.

I'm surprised you are using Taquan, but, correct they are not downtown, they are past the ferry dock. They use a large pool of assorted pilots, and give fairly basic tours. They are the ship contractor, so they are more tightly scheduled and don't usually add anything extra.

Some seem to think, Misty is fixed, nope, far from it, I've flown many areas and landed in multiple areas, as well as getting out to the glaciers. It's a huge place. :)