Live from the Midnatsol

bobbisailsolo

So happy for you Bobbi! I hope it continues to be as good!

When you pass MS Finnmarken on your way back (I think it is before you arrive back in Tromso), wave in her direction, I will be on board!

Did you see NL yet?

So glad your trip is going so well already! Which of the Hurtigruten voyages is it that you're doing? I've just starting doing my research on taking a trip with them so still in the early stages of investigating so I'm hoping to learn some useful information from reading your comments.

Stay warm!

So happy for you Bobbi! I hope it continues to be as good!

When you pass MS Finnmarken on your way back (I think it is before you arrive back in Tromso), wave in her direction, I will be on board!

Did you see NL yet?

Will do! Yes! A good showing last night out of Tromso! Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad your trip is going so well already! Which of the Hurtigruten voyages is it that you're doing? I've just starting doing my research on taking a trip with them so still in the early stages of investigating so I'm hoping to learn some useful information from reading your comments.

Stay warm!

I'm doing the classic 12 day. It's very special I think going in the winter months. No tourists, seeing towns and people is a more natural setting. Very peaceful. The first few days went slowly, then everything excellerated... Excursions, north cape, lights!

Dog sledding in Tromso was one of the best excursions I've ever been on! So much fun! And the Viking feast was very well done. Today, the north cape!

I think going to Kirkenes and getting off would probably have been a good option. If I were to go again, I think I might arrive in Oslo. Spend a night... Then do Norway in a nutshell to Bergen, spend a couple of nights.. Cruise to Kirkenes... Stay at snow hotel. Then fly home. But we'll see. I'm only half way thru! Feel free to ask any question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to go again, I think I might arrive in Oslo. Spend a night... Then do Norway in a nutshell to Bergen, spend a couple of nights.. Cruise to Kirkenes... Stay at snow hotel. Then fly home. But we'll see. I'm only half way thru! Feel free to ask any question.

When we went we did start in Oslo, took the train to Bergen, and did the Bergen round trip. Four of our traveling companions got off in Kirkenes. I hope to do the trip again, and will do the round trip if I have time. Every day on the ship was fascinating with incredible scenery.

Glad you are enjoying the trip and getting to see the lights...

I'm doing the classic 12 day. It's very special I think going in the winter months. No tourists, seeing towns and people is a more natural setting. Very peaceful. The first few days went slowly, then everything excellerated... Excursions, north cape, lights!

Dog sledding in Tromso was one of the best excursions I've ever been on! So much fun! And the Viking feast was very well done. Today, the north cape!

I think going to Kirkenes and getting off would probably have been a good option. If I were to go again, I think I might arrive in Oslo. Spend a night... Then do Norway in a nutshell to Bergen, spend a couple of nights.. Cruise to Kirkenes... Stay at snow hotel. Then fly home. But we'll see. I'm only half way thru! Feel free to ask any question.

Many thanks, bobbisailsolo. I'm looking into doing the Kirkenes to Bergen, 6-day trip. Time of year will depend on my travelling companion but it may be early October. I think I would prefer the warmer weather as the idea of every walking surface being slippery with ice (which I am definitely not used to living in much warmer climes!) fills me with dread. But seeing the Aurora Borealis would be wonderful.

So I look forward to reading your comments as you go through this amazing trip you're on.

Thanks for updating us Bobbi! Wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your voyage and got to see the amazing Light! Hope North Cape was good weather and that you got to stop at the Sami camp and the reindeer! Enjoy, m--

SL: Aren't you fortunate to be doing this trip again! I'm a bit envious but very happy for you! Trusting you will have a thoroughly enjoyable voyage on MS Finnmarken. Maybe even a dip in her pool! - like we enjoyed our hot tub soak in Kirkenes after our walk in town. Enjoy the Lights, shoul dbe grand near equinox time. Maybe someday I'll get back in a different season, last of October was too dark for me so I doubt I'd do it in winter, I want to see more of the scenery. Blessings for healthy safe travels, m--

Thank you RMLincoln, it is just a short trip this time for me on MS Finnmarken (Tromso-Kirkenes-Svolvaer) and then we stay in Lofoten for 5 days. Wonderful Northern Lights yesterday evening as we left Tromso and crossed MS Midnatsol with Bobbi on board! ;)

Maybe someday I'll get back in a different season, last of October was too dark for me so I doubt I'd do it in winter, I want to see more of the scenery. Blessings for healthy safe travels, m--

End of May was perfect for long days to see the scenery.

My first trip was last two weeks of April and I really loved it. It was spring in Bergen and still winter in Kirkenes so different seasons in the same trip! And there still is snow on the mountain tops, and I find it makes for very beautiful landscapes. In the North it was not yet the midnight sun, but already no real dark nights, just a long sunset followed by a long sunrise and very long days. And also, April is cheaper than May. The only problem for me : no Northern Lights! ;)

Hi Bobbo -- glad you read your reports and to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Can you give some info on what the dining situation is like for a solo traveler? How is the food?

And are you happy with the cabin you selected? (Would you make the same selection again or something different?)

Hi Bobbo -- glad you read your reports and to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Can you give some info on what the dining situation is like for a solo traveler? How is the food?

And are you happy with the cabin you selected? (Would you make the same selection again or something different?)

Not Bobbo, but I went on the MS Trollfjord last May by myself. Open seating for breakfast and lunch. I nearly always joined a large table with room, and met a lot of very nice people from all over the world. A few times I ate by myself. At dinner, going north I was assigned a table with a couple from Canada and another couple from the USA and we all hit it off great. Going south I was assigned to a table with 2 couples from Germany who apparently did not speak any English and actually didn't even speak to me once at dinner the first night out. I spoke to the staff, and they moved me to a table with a couple from Australia, and we had a lovely remainder of the trip.

The food was very good. Breakfast and lunch buffet, with more offerings than you could eat by even just taking a taste. I loved the cheeses and sausages, always good fish (often local) and the breads were also good. For dinner, the 3 course set meal was always plentiful, creative, and tasty.