June 2016 Eastern European Cruise - Packing Tips

sedaniel

Hello! My fiancé and I will be traveling to Eastern Europe on a Celebrity Reflection cruise in early June for our honeymoon. We are super excited, but this is my first time on a cruise and my first time in Europe this time of the year. I want to make sure I pack correctly. Our ports include Rome, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Chania: what kind of weather should I expect to be packing for? From what I've been reading generally online, I am thinking it will be hot (i.e. sundresses and shorts) but would like to know what the likelihood is of there being colder weather. For example, do I need to bring a sweater or sweatshirt for when we are in port? Also, are the rooms inside the ship (dining rooms, etc.) cold? Thank you!

Yes.. Certainly sundresses and shorts for the Med in June.. But the evenings will be cooler at that time of the year and there may be some rain. You should have a light waterproof and cardigans just in case,

Inside the ship the temperature is pretty comfortable. Again you may need a wrap if you go out on deck for a romantic look at the moon!

Have a lovely time. The Itinerary is very nice

Edited by Jay23

Your post threw me a bit. By my definition, you're going to the Eastern Med, not Eastern Europe. I consider Eastern Europe to be Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Serbia, Slovakia, etc..

Roz

We took a Med cruise in June/July some years ago, hitting several of the same ports as you will be. It was HOT! Oh my goodness, I thought I was going to die in Rome where it was 35 C. the day we were there. So... be prepared for anything. Dress in layers that can be taken off as the day warms up. Also remember that most religious sites require your shoulders be covered up, and no knees showing (men and women).

You can check one of the online weather sites to get the weather for your ports, about a week before you go. This will help you fine tune your packing.

Have fun. :)

We were on your route 2 years ago in June. Keep in mind that you will need at least capris or a shoulder wrap if you plan to go inside some of the churches or the Vatican. I carried a nylon tote bag (lightweight) with a wrap to cover my shoulders, not only at the Vatican but another church (the one with the Mouth of Truth) in Rome. There was also a vendor making a FORTUNE selling parasols to shield you from the sun. We had carried a small umbrella and it didn't occur to us to carry it to use in the sun. I ALWAYS carry a few wraps and a lightweight sweater. I used them both on tours (at night the wind got chilly a couple of evenings) and for inside the ship at night (the a/c can get chilly), especially in the dining rooms and at the shows. We packed a lot of mix and match clothes to pack lighter and fabrics that dried quickly, as we washed a few things out in the sink and hung them to dry. TAKE THE UMBRELLA to Kusadasi. The heat was brutal and it REALLY cuts the heat down to have it. You'll see that almost all of the tour guides have an umbrella. Carry COMFORTABLE walking shoes. I carried a pair of comfortable flats that could be worn for short walks in Rome and could be worn to dinner on the ship. It was the TRIP OF A LIFETIME for us. Enjoy.

Thank you everyone for your tips! This is super helpful - it didn't even cross my mind that you would have to have your shoulders covered in these churches either. Umbrella is also a great idea for the sunny days too! Thank you again!

Heavy winter coats, thick jeans, fur-lined boots, sou'westers, woollen hats, gloves.

Those are some of the things you very definitely won't need.:)

You'll need shorts & t-shirts, sunglasses, and a large barrel of factor 99 sunblock cos it'll be hot & sunny most of the time.

Yes, something waterproof. But because it'll be warm rain and the weather can change five times in a day, take a very light-weight poncho or similar that won't be a pain to drag around with you in the ports.

Note the Langley cruisers' mention of cover-up at religious sites - that applies to places like Istanbul's Blue Mosque or Rome's Vatican, but not to ancient sites like Athens' Acropolis or Kusadsai's / Izmir's Ephesus.

A light pashmina or similar will usually do that job.

And it will also do the job for the ship's dining rooms - there are quite frequent complaints that they're too cool. Elsewhere on the ship no worries, including evenings on open decks - I'll respectfully disagree with those who reckon evenings can be cool in June, but what the heck - it'd do no harm to pack a sweater and/or wrap.

I don't know if I'm "unlucky" but when I change aircon controls on a unit I'm not used to I end up with freezing or roasting and a call to get an engineer to put it to rights. :rolleyes:

If your cabin temperature is about right and you're as dumb & ham-fisted as me, best not to touch it.

We're not the type to carry umbrellas / parasols, I'm OK with a baseball cap to help shield the eyes & protect a thinning patch on the head (first I realised it was thinning was a hot-spot on the head while lounging in a ship's Jacuzzi).

But you may want to take the advice of others on that.

Good advice from Griffy about shoes.

JB :)

First time cruisers always need 1/2 of what they take. We were there one time and now have learned to travel super light. One medium suitcase and one carryon per person. That has worked for trips up to one month.