? for those who eat dinner in the buffet

mwood0612

I was looking over the menus in the MDR for our upcoming cruise and there are several nights that the selection is not that great but my FAV desert is served that night. My question is, if we were to choose to go to the buffet for dinner instead of the MDR, do they offer the same desserts as the MDR; mainly the crème brulee and bitter & blanc?

Never seen either at the buffet. The Miracle did serve a pudding and sauce every night just not the BnB.

Creme Brûlée is difficult on a buffet. If it sits too long the sugar crust gets soggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was looking over the menus in the MDR for our upcoming cruise and there are several nights that the selection is not that great but my FAV desert is served that night. My question is, if we were to choose to go to the buffet for dinner instead of the MDR, do they offer the same desserts as the MDR; mainly the crème brulee and bitter & blanc?

Can't you find anything on the menu that you like on the nights they have your favorite desserts?

Can't you find anything on the menu that you like on the nights they have your favorite desserts?

I can definitely find something to eat!:D We ALWAYS ate in the MDR on every night of our previous cruises and I would like to take the casual approach a couple of nights on our upcoming cruise and just go to the buffet. I just don't want to feel like I'm missing out! How many nights do others eat in buffet on a typical cruise? I just really want to relax this cruise and not feel like I'm rushed to dress up and go to dinner every night!!

Hi,

First of all you do not have to "dress up " to go to dinner in the MDR. You can wear any slacks and top or little sundress or any pants for men with a t shirt.

The only requirement on "elegant"night is for the men to wear slacks and shirt with a collar so not really "dressing up".

IF the items on the menu that change each day don't suit you there's always grilled chicken/fish(salmon) and on the Americani table menu there's also some sort of grilled meat like pork chops.

You could order just apps and dessert if you like.

Then if you are still hungry you can always go to the buffet for other choices.

We rarely eat a whole dinner in the buffet.Sometimes at night I just want a grilled cheese sandwich from the Deli and that's what I get. It is up to you do decide but you cannot count on the buffet having all the MDR items.

They only have a few of them and not the best desserts!

I eat in the MDR every day of our cruises, even when the pickings are slim. I just hop on over to the buffet afterward if I'm still hungry.

I wouldnt miss Bitter n Blanc if it was in the MDR, I am keeping my fingers crossed that its served on the next one we take!

There really is not a reason to eat at the buffet. If you don't like the menu, just order from the "Everyday" menu which offers basic items such as flat iron steak, grilled chicken, salmon, and pork chops. The buffet is ok but the MDR does have a better menu with plenty of choices. It is also not necessary to dress up. Have fun.:cool:

No need to dress up for the MDR, and no need to rush. Get your time dining. Try going to the buffet first, then just go to the MDR and just get dessert. None of the signature desserts like Bitter and Blanc, Melting cake, or creme brulee are on the buffet.

I can definitely find something to eat!:D We ALWAYS ate in the MDR on every night of our previous cruises and I would like to take the casual approach a couple of nights on our upcoming cruise and just go to the buffet. I just don't want to feel like I'm missing out! How many nights do others eat in buffet on a typical cruise? I just really want to relax this cruise and not feel like I'm rushed to dress up and go to dinner every night!!

I'm never in a rush to make the 8:15PM MDR meal. And dressed in dockers or jeans and a polo, I'm neat and casual. I don't want to miss the bitter n blanc either, I order two on the only night it gets served.

We have taken our DD to the buffet for dinner a couple of times on different cruises and were less than impressed. One of the times, she was being a total bear due to a late nap and then waking up on the wrong side of the bed. So we thought we would have to eat in the buffet. So we went there, looked at the options and got DD something. Then prayed that her attitude would change so we could go to the MDR. Fortunately it did.

We have eaten at the buffet, and on occasion have later gone to the MDR and gotten a dessert to go. No problem. :)

This is great advice!!! I love dining in the MDR but sometimes it takes forever! We have Any Time Dining on this cruise so we may try this option!!! Thanks;)

This is great advice!!! I love dining in the MDR but sometimes it takes forever! We have Any Time Dining on this cruise so we may try this option!!! Thanks;)

If you have ATD, no reason to feel "rushed" to get to the MDR, so long as you get there during the hours they are open. And while I have seen cruisers sitting in the MDR for a meal getting their dessert to go, I'd be a little leery of just being able to walk up to the hostess and asking for a dessert to go. But you could eat in the buffet and then head to the MDR and once seated simply tell your waiter you only want dessert and eat it there.

There really is not a reason to eat at the buffet. If you don't like the menu, just order from the "Everyday" menu which offers basic items such as flat iron steak, grilled chicken, salmon, and pork chops. The buffet is ok but the MDR does have a better menu with plenty of choices. It is also not necessary to dress up. Have fun.:cool:

Well, in my case, eating off the of "Everyday" menu, doesnt work for me. I wouldn't toch the flat iron steak, grilled chicken, salmon or the pork chops.

I usually will go to the buffet before MDR and eat there and then when in the MDR sit and have a drink while others are eating and then get dessert at dessert time. IF not that way, then I sit and have a drink while they eat and have dessert first and then head to the buffet. Works either way for me.

Never tried just going in for dessert. I guess you can just say no thank you to the entrees and place your order for dessert.

Well, in my case, eating off the of "Everyday" menu, doesnt work for me. I wouldn't toch the flat iron steak, grilled chicken, salmon or the pork chops.

I usually will go to the buffet before MDR and eat there and then when in the MDR sit and have a drink while others are eating and then get dessert at dessert time. IF not that way, then I sit and have a drink while they eat and have dessert first and then head to the buffet. Works either way for me.

Never tried just going in for dessert. I guess you can just say no thank you to the entrees and place your order for dessert.

What items in the buffet do you eat? Do you prefer to serve yourself in the buffet and get what you want than to be served in the MDR?

I don't find the choices in the MDR vs the buffet to be that much different. One is self serve and the other is sit down service by waiters.

If you have ATD, no reason to feel "rushed" to get to the MDR, so long as you get there during the hours they are open. And while I have seen cruisers sitting in the MDR for a meal getting their dessert to go, I'd be a little leery of just being able to walk up to the hostess and asking for a dessert to go. But you could eat in the buffet and then head to the MDR and once seated simply tell your waiter you only want dessert and eat it there.

mwood - You're welcome.

crewsweeper - That is exactly what we have done. We asked the hostess for the dessert, and we received it. Others have done this too.

What items in the buffet do you eat? Do you prefer to serve yourself in the buffet and get what you want than to be served in the MDR?

I don't find the choices in the MDR vs the buffet to be that much different. One is self serve and the other is sit down service by waiters.

Not much. I usually don't find anything there to eat either. Gaining weight on a cruise is definitely not a problem for me.

Not a pizza/italian fan, not pasta, most meats are a no go, no seafood. Doesn't leave much. LOL

Does anyone know if the creme brûlée is served on the Triumph with the new American Fare dining menu? This will be my first time trying the american fare so I'm not really sure what to expect, Thanks!

We were on the Journey's cruise in January. There were 3 or 4 variations of Crème Brulee. Vanilla, Dulce de Leche, and I think a chocolate or Mocha.

And if you can't find anything on the menu or the Everyday items, (as I did one night) Try the Indian Vegetarian. Extremely flavorful, but not extremely spicy. Did have some spice though. I enjoyed it and actually left quite a bit because you get two full plates and a bunch of sauces. (I have no idea what was what, but it was tastier than many other foods during the 11 days)

Does anyone know if the creme brûlée is served on the Triumph with the new American Fare dining menu? This will be my first time trying the american fare so I'm not really sure what to expect, Thanks!

I have been looking for this same information.

Can anyone tell us?

Not much. I usually don't find anything there to eat either. Gaining weight on a cruise is definitely not a problem for me.

Not a pizza/italian fan, not pasta, most meats are a no go, no seafood. Doesn't leave much. LOL

I find the Deli on Lido to be a good option.

mwood - You're welcome.

crewsweeper - That is exactly what we have done. We asked the hostess for the dessert, and we received it. Others have done this too.

Hey thanks Wet Toes. This is good to know. Sometimes dessert is all you need:D