how do you try out new food without being wasteful?

luckyinpa

1st time cruiser and i'm in the haven on the BA so i get 4 specialty meals

(obviously this post doesnt pertain to buffets:D)

example : I've never eaten in a french restaurant so i have no idea if id like it. i paid a nice chunk of change for this trip so i figure this is a chance to try out new things with 'no real cost' to me. i am not a wasteful person and i dont like the idea of it, but i was wondering if you get something and hate it, can you just order something else. or just leave and go somewhere else, while maintaining your conscience... or rather maintain "my conscience." (and correct billing)?

i realize in a specialty restaurant this may be an issue but i figured i'd ask here. i'm assuming in all the 'free' restaurants they wouldnt mind firing up something else for you if you really dont like the 1st thing?

also for some reason i have no objection to trying out a new drink i never had and dumping it after one sip...strange i know.

You should not have any issues if something is not to your taste the staff bring you something else. No worries.

You can always ask for recommendations. The staff knows what people like most and what items they send back.

Don't forget to dine in the Haven for dinner, it does not count against your 4 specialty dinners.

Very few land based restaurants would object to bringing you a new dish if the first isn't to your likely. I seriously doubt it will be any different on a cruise ship. Now if it is the third one you send back or your fourth night doing it.. :eek:

As Jenjer suggested, definitely ask for recommendations from the staff. It is what they do and you should be able to tell who is genuine in their recommendation and who is just blowing you off.

These would really apply to any restaurant anywhere. I find only small family owned restaurants really get worked up over it.

I don't think this is something you should worry about. A lot of people are trying new foods and drinks while cruising and they don't know if they'll like it or not. If something turns out to be unappealing to you, you can send it back and request a new dish. I tried escargot for the first time on a cruise, something I would not try in a land restaurant, and I loved it. The waste factor is kind of minimized, as serving sizes in cruise restaurants leans towards the smaller side. And as others have mentioned, ask your server to steer you in the right direction. I do encourage you to go ahead and try new things, this will be the perfect setting for such an adventure!

Actually, you probably HAVE had French food but just don't know it as a lot of American restaurants, including many chains such as McDonalds serve French food. Ever had a Fillet Mignon, French Fries, Chicken Cordon Bleu, baguette bread, baked French onion soup, a Crepe, a Napoleon, a souffle or Creme Brulee? Those are ALL French.

I think you should probably attempt to order things you will like and maybe for one course, order something that you have never tried before. This way, you will not be constantly sending food back throughout one meal which is really an inconsiderate way to behave in a restaurant. Years ago I worked with someone who was constantly sending food back every time we went to a restaurant and it really made others at the table very uncomfortable and there was a lot of gossip about her doing this behind her back. My boss told me to "straighten her out", so I had to have a conversation with her and explain how what she was doing was bothering others and making them uncomfortable. I also pointed out to her that waitstaff DO have ways of getting even with customers who send stuff back and cause them extra work, especially in the types of inexpensive restaurants we were eating lunch at - it is really not unusual for waitstaff to spit in their food or do other things to the food of a diner they find annoying. As I told her, sending food back should be the exception, not the rule, and then ONLY when something is seriously wrong with the food. For example, if you ordered your steak medium rare and it comes out well done, then it is reasonable to tell the waiter and politely request a steak that is cooked correctly. This kind of correction, the waiter will find reasonable and gladly change for you. But if you try one dish, don't like, try another dish, don't like it and so on throughout a 3 or 4 course meal, that's excessive.

A cruise is the best time to try new things. A lot of the food will go to waste anyway. You can always ask for a smaller portion of items.

My 10 year old has turned into a little foodie. He's an amazing eater who loves good and healthy foods. It has nothing to do with my parenting skills, lol. It was actually cruise ships that got him into it. He couldn't wait to eat grown up fancy foods and there is no risk about trying things on a cruise ship. :)

Imo, while I understand the guilt, it's your vacation and a cruise is the best time to try new things.

A cruise is the best time to try new things. A lot of the food will go to waste anyway. You can always ask for a smaller portion of items.

My 10 year old has turned into a little foodie. He's an amazing eater who loves good and healthy foods. It has nothing to do with my parenting skills, lol. It was actually cruise ships that got him into it. He couldn't wait to eat grown up fancy foods and there is no risk about trying things on a cruise ship. :)

Imo, while I understand the guilt, it's your vacation and a cruise is the best time to try new things.

Both of my kids are that way. They eat a wider variety of food than I do.

They fell in love with escargot on Disney its one thing they look forward to

We had never eaten "French food" before our last NCL cruise but decided to try Le Bistro as we had it as an option with our dining package. I'd say that many things on the menu there are items you'd see in other restaurants... maybe just prepared differently.

Or items they describe fancily and you can't figure out what it is, lol.

I hate how if you can't eat all of your appetizer and all of your entree and all of you dessert they act like, oh, you didn't like it? No one can eat that much, lol.

This is what I have found more often than not!! The waiters always seem to be much more worried that you enjoyed your meal on a cruise than anywhere I have ever been on land.

Like others in this thread.. my youngest DS is almost as an adventurous eater as I am and he started that at about 4 yrs old (14 now). I would say at least 4-5 times a cruise he would order something to "try" it.

If you don't want to feel wasteful, here is a good suggestion for you. In the specialties it is only the main entree that occur an extra charge since you have a dining package. Talk to your SO/Friend/Family whoever you are traveling with. Make a deal to try something new every night that is an appetizer or dessert and split it! Also order something you know you will like to go along with it. Then you can try new things w/o being to wasteful and leave with a happy tummy anyways :D

Here is a sample of the bistro menu. Read the American description. It stuff that you probably had in one shape or form in the past. Be bold. Explain to the waiters that french food is new to you but you want to try things. This is the chance to expand your palette.

ENTRÉE, SOUPE ET SALADE—APPETIZERS, SOUPS AND SALADS

LES QUATRE CORNETS

Four Savory Filled Cones—Salad Provencal; Duck Con t; Pear, Blue Cheese and Walnut Medley;

Smoked Chicken Salad

ASPERGES GRILLÉES

Grilled Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Orange Hollandaise

GRATINÉ A L'OIGNON

Onion Soup Gratiné, Gruyere Cheese, Brandy

ESCARGOT BOURGUIGNONNE

*SALADE GOURMANDE

Salad of Frisée, Endive, Smoked Duck and Walnuts, Champagne Vinaigrette

SOUPE AUX QUATRE CHAMPIGNONS

Cream of Four Mushroom Soup

MOULES POULETTE AU PERNOD

Steamed Mussels, Pernod, Parsley, Cream

COQUILLES ST. JACQUES PROVENCAL

Seared Scallops, Eggplant, Tomato, Pine Nuts, Olive Oil

Escargots, Garlic Herb Butter

*FILET D ́ÈSPADON

Grilled Sword sh Loin, Braised Lentils, Ginger Garlic Butter

*FILET DE SAUMON D ́ATLANTIC

Fillet of Atlantic Salmon, Swiss Chard, Morel Mushroom, Cream Sauce

BOUILLABAISSE, SOUPE DE

POISSONS MEDITERRANÉE

Mediterranean Fish Soup “Bouillabaisse Style” Scallops, Snapper, Shrimp, Tomato, Saffron and Pernod Broth, Rouille Dip

*FILET DE BOEUF GRILLÉ

Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Portobello Mushrooms,

Roquefort Cheese Potato Gratin, Green Peppercorn Sauce

*FILET DE PORC AU ROMARIN

Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Glazed Apples, Calvados Cream

LES VIANDES, POISSONS ET VOLAILLES—MEATS, SEAFOOD AND POULTRY

*CARRE D ́AGNEAU ROTIS

Roast Rack of Lamb, Artichokes, Blistered Tomatoes, Zucchini, Green Olive Sauce

COQ AU VIN

Burgundy Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions, Bacon

DUO DE CANARD

Breast of Duck and Duck Con t, Parisienne Potatoes, French Beans, Madeira Sauce

NAPOLEON DE LEGUMES

Napoleon of Vegetables and Portobello Mushrooms in Puff Pastry, Goat Cheese, Red Pepper, Sweet Potato Butter Sauce

BISTRO SPECIAUX—BISTRO SPECIALS

FRUITS DE MER

Lobster, Shrimp, Scallops and Fennel in Puff Pastry, Vermouth and Chive Cream

HOMARD ROTIS AUX BEURRE

Butter Roasted Lobster Tail, Artichokes, Chateau Potatoes

*COTE DE BOEUF POUR DEUX

32 oz Premium Black Angus Rib Eye Steak for Two, Sautéed Wild Mushrooms, Fresh Seasonal Vegetable, Bordelaise Sauce, Béarnaise Sauce, Carved Tableside

$10 PER PERSON IN ADDITION TO COVER CHARGE

CARAMEL, VANILLA AND LEMON PROFITEROLES

PATISSERIE—DESSERTS

VANILLA CRÈME BRULÉE

Berry Basket, Sablè Cookie

CHOCOLATE

Flourless Chocolate Cake, Hazelnut Crunch, Gianduja Cream

CLASSIC WARM APPLE TATIN

Caramelized Walnut Cream

CHOCOLATE FONDUE FOR TWO

Golden Pineapple, Bananas, Strawberries

ASSORTED ICE CREAM FLAVORS

A SAMPLING OF CAMEMBERT, GOAT CHEESE, ROQUEFORT AND MUNSTER CHEESE

Food sampling should be done at the buffet. If you think you may not like it don't order it.

I disagree! I love trying new things on a cruise and I will frequently order things I have never had before but I will never send them back if I don't like them. I usually make sure I order at least one thing that I know I like. If it did end up that I didn't like any of the food I would just politely leave the food sitting there and would visit the buffet or 24 hour restaurant later for a snack.

You can always ask for a smaller portion of items.

The portions are cut to size so I doubt if you would get a smaller portion of a meat. We decided on steak one night and my wife asked for a half and was told it wasn't possible.

Mike

Here is a sample of the bistro menu. Read the American description. It stuff that you probably had in one shape or form in the past. Be bold. Explain to the waiters that french food is new to you but you want to try things. This is the chance to expand your palette.

ENTRÉE, SOUPE ET SALADE—APPETIZERS, SOUPS AND SALADS

LES QUATRE CORNETS

Four Savory Filled Cones—Salad Provencal; Duck Con t; Pear, Blue Cheese and Walnut Medley;

Smoked Chicken Salad

ASPERGES GRILLÉES

Grilled Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Orange Hollandaise

GRATINÉ A L'OIGNON

Onion Soup Gratiné, Gruyere Cheese, Brandy

ESCARGOT BOURGUIGNONNE

*SALADE GOURMANDE

Salad of Frisée, Endive, Smoked Duck and Walnuts, Champagne Vinaigrette

SOUPE AUX QUATRE CHAMPIGNONS

Cream of Four Mushroom Soup

MOULES POULETTE AU PERNOD

Steamed Mussels, Pernod, Parsley, Cream

COQUILLES ST. JACQUES PROVENCAL

Seared Scallops, Eggplant, Tomato, Pine Nuts, Olive Oil

Escargots, Garlic Herb Butter

*FILET D ́ÈSPADON

Grilled Sword sh Loin, Braised Lentils, Ginger Garlic Butter

*FILET DE SAUMON D ́ATLANTIC

Fillet of Atlantic Salmon, Swiss Chard, Morel Mushroom, Cream Sauce

BOUILLABAISSE, SOUPE DE

POISSONS MEDITERRANÉE

Mediterranean Fish Soup “Bouillabaisse Style” Scallops, Snapper, Shrimp, Tomato, Saffron and Pernod Broth, Rouille Dip

*FILET DE BOEUF GRILLÉ

Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Portobello Mushrooms,

Roquefort Cheese Potato Gratin, Green Peppercorn Sauce

*FILET DE PORC AU ROMARIN

Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Glazed Apples, Calvados Cream

LES VIANDES, POISSONS ET VOLAILLES—MEATS, SEAFOOD AND POULTRY

*CARRE D ́AGNEAU ROTIS

Roast Rack of Lamb, Artichokes, Blistered Tomatoes, Zucchini, Green Olive Sauce

COQ AU VIN

Burgundy Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions, Bacon

DUO DE CANARD

Breast of Duck and Duck Con t, Parisienne Potatoes, French Beans, Madeira Sauce

NAPOLEON DE LEGUMES

Napoleon of Vegetables and Portobello Mushrooms in Puff Pastry, Goat Cheese, Red Pepper, Sweet Potato Butter Sauce

BISTRO SPECIAUX—BISTRO SPECIALS

FRUITS DE MER

Lobster, Shrimp, Scallops and Fennel in Puff Pastry, Vermouth and Chive Cream

HOMARD ROTIS AUX BEURRE

Butter Roasted Lobster Tail, Artichokes, Chateau Potatoes

*COTE DE BOEUF POUR DEUX

32 oz Premium Black Angus Rib Eye Steak for Two, Sautéed Wild Mushrooms, Fresh Seasonal Vegetable, Bordelaise Sauce, Béarnaise Sauce, Carved Tableside

$10 PER PERSON IN ADDITION TO COVER CHARGE

PATISSERIE—DESSERTS

VANILLA CRÈME BRULÉE

Berry Basket, Sablè Cookie

CHOCOLATE

Flourless Chocolate Cake, Hazelnut Crunch, Gianduja Cream

CLASSIC WARM APPLE TATIN

Caramelized Walnut Cream

CHOCOLATE FONDUE FOR TWO

Golden Pineapple, Bananas, Strawberries

ASSORTED ICE CREAM FLAVORS

A SAMPLING OF CAMEMBERT, GOAT CHEESE, ROQUEFORT AND MUNSTER CHEESE

Ooh !! My mouth is watering. I love all of these things. In fact I have, at some time, actually cooked most of them. But then, I have "lived" in France - once for 2 months and last year for 3 months. French cooking is the basis for most "fine dining". Do give it a try.

I am a terribly picky eater, but use cruises as a "safe" place to try new things. As such, I do as many above have suggested - order at least 1 course I'm sure to love, 1 course I'm likely to love, and the occasional course I really don't know about. Even if I don't like it, odds are my husband will, and after both of us have tried it, enough is eaten that I don't feel bad about the remaining going to waste!

I will say the Lobster in le Bistro is not to my taste, to much buttery sauce on it. Its cut up with artichokes in a buttery sauce. Not a tail like I am used to getting. I may be in the minority but better lobster other places on ship IMO.

Everything else we really enjoy there.