Float planes out of which port?

styme123

My family of 7 will be on the Princess this July and wanted to take a floatplane excursion at one of the ports. Which port is better for floatplane excursions Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway? We are mostly interested in seeing glaciers and scenery. Since they are so pricey we don't want to combine it with a dog sled or salmon dinner option. The more time in the air the better.

I have also heard to book it on our own instead of through the cruise ship but the cancelation policies when booked by yourself are bit in advance. Whereas through the boat it can be very close to the time you port or when you embark. My concern is if the weather is bad (rainy/foggy) and they are still going out, I might not want to spend the money on the flight. For the 7 of us it's close to $1500,@about $220pp.

I know some have booths on the piers, but do they book up fast if I waited till the day we are in port to decide? Do the more well known places have booths there or just the not so well known ones? Are they okay to use?

We thought about the helicopter option but the weight restrictions of 250 might be too close for a few of us:D and they are more pricey.

Are you willing to split up? You are not going to find any availablity at the dock, unless you are willing to do so, like 2 seats, maybe per flight. Also, only a few, more costly flights see glaciers out of Ketchikan.

I'd suggest chartering a flight out of Juneau- which is all ice fields. There are no float planes in Skagway. But, the fixed wing flights are excellent for glaciers, again- you really need to charter. Beavers hold 7 passengers.

Read carefully, some cruise booked flights- do not have the open cancellation policies, some are indeed nonrefundable.

IF vendors cancel, you get full refunds, if YOU cancel, just because you think you don't want to go- then, yes, you forfeit your money.

If you don't have your heart set on a float plane, the Glacier Bay flights out of Haines (they'll pick you up in Skagway) are incredible - a whole-plane charter will let you add time in the air if you choose. Google Fly Drake and Mountain Flying Service, both top-notch operators.

My family of 7 will be on the Princess this July and wanted to take a floatplane excursion at one of the ports. Which port is better for floatplane excursions Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway? We are mostly interested in seeing glaciers and scenery. Since they are so pricey we don't want to combine it with a dog sled or salmon dinner option. The more time in the air the better.

I have also heard to book it on our own instead of through the cruise ship but the cancelation policies when booked by yourself are bit in advance. Whereas through the boat it can be very close to the time you port or when you embark. My concern is if the weather is bad (rainy/foggy) and they are still going out, I might not want to spend the money on the flight. For the 7 of us it's close to $1500,@about $220pp.

I know some have booths on the piers, but do they book up fast if I waited till the day we are in port to decide? Do the more well known places have booths there or just the not so well known ones? Are they okay to use?

We thought about the helicopter option but the weight restrictions of 250 might be too close for a few of us:D and they are more pricey.

Haven't ever seen float planes in Skagway , mostly helicopters.

Juneau and Ketchikan are your best bet for a float plane . There are walk up bookings for a plane ride . They aren't any cheaper at the pier and you don't know how good they are.

I took a flight out of Skagway with Paul from Mountain Flying Service. He is based down in Haines but also offers flights from Skagway. I did one over Glacier Bay and it was incredible. We had a long time in the air and price while expensive was pretty reasonable for the time we had. Contact him and see if he can fit you in while you're in Skagway. Same cruise I did a flight in Juneau with the cruise line and it was almost as expensive and we had maybe 1/3 the time in the air.

http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/

I know nothing about planes. Are there some types that are better for viewing out the windows? I was looking at some of the websites for excursions and although some fit the 7 of us the windows seem small for viewing? especially the ones in the back. Mostly on what I think were float planes. The planes with the wheels seem to have bigger windows. Is one safer than the other?

I know nothing about planes. Are there some types that are better for viewing out the windows? I was looking at some of the websites for excursions and although some fit the 7 of us the windows seem small for viewing? especially the ones in the back. Mostly on what I think were float planes. The planes with the wheels seem to have bigger windows. Is one safer than the other?

In Alaska I would prefer a plane on floats . If a float plane has an issue it can just land on any body of of water and wait for help. Wheeled plane doesn't have many places to land in Alaska along the coast.

DH is a pilot, has flown floatplanes also. We've spent a lot of time in Alaska flying in small airplanes, some with floats. Floatplanes don't have smaller windows than "wheel-based" airplanes. Differences in window size are because of differences in model and make, just like vehicles. Floatplanes are more common in Alaska because they are more versatile and because there is an abundance of water for landing. They are also much more expensive to purchase, insure, and operate. Best of all, they're more fun - the best combination of plane and boat. It's an amazing and thrilling experience to land on the water, then taxi up to the dock.