Refugee from Azamara

procter

Hi

We have been regulars on Azamara but are trying Oceania riviera for the first time.

I realise it is quite a bit bigger than Az but would welcome any tips to getting the best out of this holiday.

Can anybody confirm arrangements for booking specialities.

As a PH 1 I guess our butler may have some pull but look forward to any tips /favourite bars hidey holes etc.

Thanks for any input.

Geoff & Freda

Newcastle on Tyne UK

geoffkendall at Hotmail dot com if you prefer to keep your secret between ourselves.

We are also huge fans of Azamara (best crew on the high seas!) and will be sailing on our first Oceania cruise this weekend (RIVIERA). I'll be writing a full review with lots of pics and I'll post it here on the Oceania message board.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to Azamara.

For the life of me, I can't understand what is the need to have what is basically a pretend friendship with crew members. Beyond a "hello - how ya doin?", what more is needed? Maybe on an 18+ day cruise (or multiple cruises where interactions with the same officers are a bit more common), an occasional casual conversation makes sense.

I don't plan on going bowling with the captain or chief engineer when I return home. And I'd rather have immediate and thoughtful consideration from a hotel ops officer if I share a concern with him/her (which is what I always get on O).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

For the life of me, I can't understand what is the need to have what is basically a pretend friendship with crew members. Beyond a "hello - how ya doin?", what more is needed? Maybe on an 18+ day cruise (or multiple cruises where interactions with the same officers are a bit more common), an occasional casual conversation makes sense.

I don't plan on going bowling with the captain or chief engineer when I return home. And I'd rather have immediate and thoughtful consideration from a hotel ops officer if I share a concern with him/her (which is what I always get on O).

Not sure where this is coming from as I don't think many have a "pretend friendship" with a shipboard crew nor want one. Certainly no one has even hinted to such a thing on this thread. Amazing people can always find something to gripe about. Ugh.

I think what many appreciate about Azamara is a sincere and genuinely friendly crew, one that is quite happy to be there and it shows. They are also professional, proactive, and most of all motivated. They go out of their way to ensure you are having an amazing time because they actually want to. This is from the lowest ranking crew member all the way up to the senior officers and Captain. You can just tell it's a very happy and content crew, and this translates to excellent service for the passengers. I've been on many cruises where this is not the case, and while the crew was functioning fine you could tell they were not particularly happy to be there or content. It's reflected often times in lackluster service.

When I step onboard an Azamara ship I am immediately made to feel sincerely welcome ... beyond the perfunctory "welcome aboard". They go the extra mile and it shows.

I suppose if you have a problem with sincere and excellent service Azamara is not for you.

Edited by eroller

I feel the same way getting on an Oceania ship ..it is like coming home & seeing the friendly faces some old ones & some new ones

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I feel the same way getting on an Oceania ship ..it is like coming home & seeing the friendly faces some old ones & some new ones

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

This is good to hear, and what I have always heard about Oceania! They have a great reputation.

Hi

We have been regulars on Azamara but are trying Oceania riviera for the first time.

I realise it is quite a bit bigger than Az but would welcome any tips to getting the best out of this holiday.

Can anybody confirm arrangements for booking specialities.

As a PH 1 I guess our butler may have some pull but look forward to any tips /favourite bars hidey holes etc.

Thanks for any input.

Geoff & Freda

Newcastle on Tyne UK

geoffkendall at Hotmail dot com if you prefer to keep your secret between ourselves.

Don't forget that as a PH dweller you can dine en suite course by course from any specialty restaurant, if you wish to do so (in addition to your allotted reservations)

Edited by Paulchili

Paulchilli,

Thanks for those tips.

Have also read sticky so hope to get it right.

In reply re "pretend friendship" then like other ex Azamara guests say " you have to see it to believe it."

If it was not for RCI meddling with perks downgradings etc. we would still be there but we got Business flights NCL LHR VCE and PH1 and transfers as well as $400 OBC each for £3600 each vs Azamara cruise only in C owners for £6800 each for identical cruise then it really was a no brainer.

I can tip and drink a LL of a lot for the difference.

Paulchilli,

Thanks for those tips.

Have also read sticky so hope to get it right.

In reply re "pretend friendship" then like other ex Azamara guests say " you have to see it to believe it."

If it was not for RCI meddling with perks downgradings etc. we would still be there but we got Business flights NCL LHR VCE and PH1 and transfers as well as $400 OBC each for £3600 each vs Azamara cruise only in C owners for £6800 each for identical cruise then it really was a no brainer.

I can tip and drink a LL of a lot for the difference.

You are welcome.

I hope that you'll enjoy your first O cruise.

Who knows - you may never go back to Azamara again (despite the "not so friendly" O officers :D

If you are used to an Owners suite you might be disappointed in the PH

If you accept Oceania for what it is & not for how it compares to Azamara you have a good chance in enjoying your cruise ;)

I know it is hard not to compare with other lines but it just makes you spoil the current cruise

JMO

Welcome to the bright side ;)

Edited by LHT28

If you accept Oceania for what it is & not for how it compares to Azamara you have a good chance in enjoying your cruise ;)

I know it is hard not to compare with other lines but it just makes you spoil the current cruise

JMO

I think the experiences are so similar if you like one, you will pretty much like the other. Even the ships are identical except for decor (not counting MARINA and RIVIERA).

Personally I enjoy comparing, but in no way does it set any cruise line up for failure. I embrace the differences and find each line really excels at something. Some lines excel in multiple areas and these tend to be my favorite lines. I'll never be loyal to one line because I like to experience different things too much. Even the subtle differences between Azamara and Oceania are enough to make each line interesting and unique to me.

After Oceania I would really like to try Viking Ocean Cruises. The ships look fabulous and I love the clean and contemporary Scandinavian decor. The aft infinity pool looks pretty cool too! I think the onboard experience would be very similar to Azamara and Oceania. Upscale, very comfortable without being pretentious, smart-casual, low-key, and very few kids if any.

Take a look at the new Scenic eclipse...wow. Very luxurious all inclusive yacht...all cabins have a butler,2 helicopters and a small submarine....

Mmmmmmmmm.;)

I watched the video. Absolutely amazing! Unfortunately I'm guessing out of my price range.

By far one of the best looking new ships ever. Looks more like a giant yacht than cruise ship. Very impressive.