Gem Cruise Director

Redhot21

We were on the Gem's Feb. 21 sailing. I do not recall the CD's name - only that he was the least visible I ever experienced. A brief announcement before and after each show was all we heard of him. I couldn't help thinking that perhaps he had another job on the ship - which gave him a few minutes off each evening to play CD.

We were on the Gem's Feb. 21 sailing. I do not recall the CD's name - only that he was the least visible I ever experienced. A brief announcement before and after each show was all we heard of him. I couldn't help thinking that perhaps he had another job on the ship - which gave him a few minutes off each evening to play CD.

We were on the same cruise and we had a totally different experience with and opinion of the CD..... We loved him! He was visible, involved and always on the go. He has been with NCL for a long time. His name is Alvin Oliva. We believe he did a great job.

Going on the Gem on April 30th from NY. We have been on many NCL cruises and are familiar with many cruise directors. Does anyone know who will be on the Gem at that time?

Thanks

Alvin, the CD we had on Feb 21 cruise was going on vacation March 12 so it will be someone else.

Agree - on our Feb. 1 cruise I wouldn't have recognized him if we came face to face. Certainly not like Dan Dan.

My wife and I have been cruising since 1973 .In all that time we only had 1 CD who in my opinion was excellent and that was on a RCL ship.

I too was on the Feb.21 cruise and I agree with you re Alvin ,the CD.

Just off Gem yesterday and it is Alvin. He wasnt the greatest but far better then his staff. Henry and another girl on the entertainment staff drove me to the point of wanting to jump ship. If you dont have a ton of patience avoid deal or no deal and the bingo!

Going on the Gem on April 30th from NY. We have been on many NCL cruises and are familiar with many cruise directors. Does anyone know who will be on the Gem at that time?

Thanks

Just got off the Gem today, Cruise Director was Drew Raitch. He just got on board after 2 months off, he was great! Well spoken, good sense of humor and super nice! Very approachable as well, even sat next to people in the theatre before shows answering questions and engaging in conversations.

I was on the March 12 sailing of the Gem, and I didn't think that Drew was so great.

At the welcome aboard show, he announced that even though there was supposed to be a time change that night (Saturday night), we should not change the time on our gizmos until Sunday night. But then, at 10:20 AM on Sunday morning (I know this, because he said that it was 10:20 AM), he announced that people had changed the time anyway on their gizmos and were running around all confused. He told everyone to change their gizmos back to 10:20. And then he said that people should not take any food out of the buffet. He said that all food should be eaten in the room where it was served. I guess he didn't know that FDR himself said that it would okay to take some food out of the buffet. All around the ship I saw people carrying food. I guess they all figured that Drew didn't know what he was talking about.

At the Name That Tune trivia contest, he started off with "Who is singing this song?" Okay, but I thought it was Name That Tune, not Name That Singer. Then, when song #2 was played, he said, "How about this one?" We had to ask him whether he wanted the name of the song or the singer. He then said that he wanted both, including the name of song #1.

At the end of trivia, he announced that the comedian would be performing at 2:00. Fine, but one place in the daily said 2:00, and the other place said 2:30. The comedian had announced at his nighttime show that his daytime show would be at 2:30. He was standing nearby, so I asked him what time his show would be. He didn't know, because Drew got him all confused. An NCL employee standing next to him said that they were trying to figure out what time the show would be. Drew finally announced that the show would be at 2:30. I don't know whose job it was to proofread the daily, because whoever proofread it thought it was okay to list two different times for one show.

I think that Drew's two months off was a little too long, because he did not seem to be in good form.

We were on the breakaway a few weeks ago, (Mar 2016) and Dan Dan was the CD on the ship he was very funny but his laugh was a little annoying. Its high pitched and I have hearing issues. His laugh did not bother my hubby though.