Alaska

TheRampantSnail

We are thinking of an Alaska cruise. We are British and mainly cruise on Azamara where tipping and drinks are included. We enjoy wine with dinner and a cocktail or two in the evening.

What extra costs (tipping, drinks as above) apart from excursions, should we plan on for, say, a 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver cruise.

Many thanks.

I think you pretty much have it covered.

One way you may be able to keep the cost of wine down is to buy a bottle instead of ordering by glass at dinner. A glass can be poured for each of you and then the bottle put away, with your cabin number, until the next time you want it.

Also keep in mind that besides the daily tip per person that is added to your onboard account, a 15% service charge is added to all bar orders.

The daily hotel service charge (tip) that will be added to your onboard account will be $12.50 pp per day. If you are in a suite the charge will be $13.50 pp per day.

There will be a charge to use the Internet, should you wish to buy a package.

You may wish to book a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill which will cost $29.00 pp. I would suggest pre booking because the good times may be all taken if you wait until you board.

You will absolutely love Alaska. We are going back for the third time in May because once was just not enough.

We are from the UK and have booked on an Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in June. We got a very good deal by booking a year in advance which meant we got a good price and the 'Explore 4 programme' which includes a drinks package and a dinner in the Pinnacle grill.

I have checked prices since then and they have not to my knowledge dipped below the price we paid, although they no longer include drinks or a dinner.

When I checked last week the price of our verandah cabin alone is much more than we will pay.

The prices for excursions in Alaska are expensive. However there are only three stops on the Vancouver to Vancouver itinery and we will probably not do this trip again so have decided to pay the price for what we want to do. The variety and number of excursions however is huge.

We are from the UK and have booked on an Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in June. We got a very good deal by booking a year in advance which meant we got a good price and the 'Explore 4 programme' which includes a drinks package and a dinner in the Pinnacle grill.

I have checked prices since then and they have not to my knowledge dipped below the price we paid, although they no longer include drinks or a dinner.

When I checked last week the price of our verandah cabin alone is much more than we will pay.

The prices for excursions in Alaska are expensive. However there are only three stops on the Vancouver to Vancouver itinery and we will probably not do this trip again so have decided to pay the price for what we want to do. The variety and number of excursions however is huge.

Good for you in getting a good price by booking ahead. Alaska cruises can be quite expensive. But in any case, you will have a great time, though I can pretty well guarantee you will want to go again - many do, multiple times.:D I hope you have factored in spending a few days in Vancouver either pre- or post-cruise. It's a wonderful city with so much to do.

We are thinking of an Alaska cruise. We are British and mainly cruise on Azamara where tipping and drinks are included. We enjoy wine with dinner and a cocktail or two in the evening.

What extra costs (tipping, drinks as above) apart from excursions, should we plan on for, say, a 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver cruise.

Many thanks.

Here are our On Locations (daily activities) from out Vancouver to Vancouver last year that may give you some information on drinks:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

You're travelling a long distance for your cruise :) In addition to getting info about Holland America, I suggest you look around on the Alaska forum, and ask any destination-specific questions there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=55

There are many Alaska residents who post there, along with people who make multiple trips to Alaska every cruise season. Plenty of people who can provide reliable information about Alaska!

Edited by CowPrincess

No need to do expensive excursions.

Ketchikan: take the city bus to the totem park; walk around at your own pace

Walk around Creek Street

Juneau: either take the blue bus to Mendenhal and enjoy the area on your own time. Or rent a car and see it that way. There's also a nice park across the bridge ( weather permitting). The beach and view there is lovely.

Skagway: okay... Do the ship train tour. Or take some of the nearby hikes. Or take part in the ranger-led tour of town. A couple trips ago, I walked as far left as you could go (facing town). The hike led to some big boulders where you can enjoy the scenery (or if you're lucky, like we were - watch for whales). Or rent a car and drive (we've done a horseback trip - organized on our own.

Sitka: beautiful park within walking distance; book the Russian dancer show on your own.