Perks

. This is our first cruise, and I'm not sure if I called the cruise line could they "sweeten the deal"?

Nope

It's standard operating procedure in the cruise industry.

The cruise always sails at 99.9% occupancy. When you and I book early, we get our selection of cabins, we get early excursions, we most likely get our preferred dining time etc.

As the cruise date nears and the cruise isn't selling out, the cruiseline will add some perks to entice customers to book.

If you are prior to final payment, you can cancel and rebook. You may not get the same room you currently have, you might lose any perks you already got, but you might get a better rate, more perks, or both.

If your fare has dropped prior to final payment, most cruise lines will drop your fare.

There is always the possibility they will say "no", but you have nothing to lose by asking.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I booked my cruise 18 months out. As the cruise is getting closer, I notice the cruise line is offering better perks for people who book now. I kind of feel penalized for booking early. This is our first cruise, and I'm not sure if I called the cruise line could they "sweeten the deal"?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on booking your first cruise.

I'm assuming you are before final payment and the price for your cruise is the same - just better perks are now available.

We book early also and I've had several occasions when additional perks became available or the cost of the cruise went down before final payment was due. I call the cruise line or the TA (travel agent) and ask if the current perks can be added or if the cruise can be re-fared for the lower rate.

If the better perks are for new bookings only then you have to decide how comfortable you will be with cancelling and booking again. I am very particular about stateroom location, so once I have booked the cabin I want, I hold on to it. For many people, a cabin is a cabin and the additional perks are more important - especially if they result in a substantial savings in overall cost.

If you are working with a TA, you will want to ask if there is a fee to make changes to your booking.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Oh no! Not gonna cancel and rebook!! I like my cabin choice, and have already chosen my excursions and special things for our anniversary. It's not that big a deal, I was just wondering! Thank you everyone for setting me straight :-)

Edited by Fifty,fat,and frumpy
Spelling

I see that you are sailing on NCL and are asking because of the double perks now.

While it "seems" like a good deal, it isn't always the case! If you booked 18 months ago, and got the UBP (unlimited alcohol) package as your perk, you didn't pay anything for it.

While seeing things like the UBP (alcohol) and SPD (4 specialty meals) that you could pick as both your perks, it isn't the "best" deal. Booking 18 months ago, they were both actually free. If you cancel and rebooked, you would be paying close to $300 for them since NCL started charging 18% on the retail cost of the package for the tips on it.

While it seems like a better perk, isn't always the case. In my situation I thought hard between choosing the Alcohol and Dining when I booked around the same time you did. I would have loved both! When these promo's came out I checked (and kept checking until final payment). In the interim, my oldest decided he didn't want to go, so I waited to see if he changed his mind before I canceled him out. If I was to re-book with the 2 perks, my other DS would loose his soda package, not get anything (because it's only for the 1st and 2nd pax now) AND it would cost me close to $1200 more, for 3 people, instead of 4!

If you booked threw NCL I would say call and see what they say. The chance of loosing your room isn't very big and most things can be transferred over easily. But do be prepared that it may and probably WOULD cost you more, a decent amount more, to add another perk!

I don't know about NCL, but we booked 6 months ago on Holland America. The price has dropped twice and more OBC was offered. We didn't have to rebook and we kept our same room. We actually switched rooms because we wanted a full verandah. Called our travel agent and she worked it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh no! Not gonna cancel and rebook!! I like my cabin choice, and have already chosen my excursions and special things for our anniversary. It's not that big a deal, I was just wondering! Thank you everyone for setting me straight :-)

If your TA is a top producer for your cruise line, contact them. "Money talks."

Hard to say no to someone who bay so millions in business.

Welcome to cruise critic and I just love your name.

You booked a good deal and sometimes these newer deals may seem like they are better but as said you will lose a pick of your room and such for possibly little savings. Enjoy the cruise.:D

If you are before the final payment, and the price for your cabin type is lower, you can call and ask to adjust your invoice so you will pay less at the final payment. If you booked through an agent, call the agent, and s/he will do the same for you.

If perks are offered, call the cruise line and ask. The worst thing that will happen, they will say no.