Transfer options from SFO area to San Francisco Cruise terminal

CruisinKansas

We will be flying into SFO the night before our cruise and staying in a motel near the airport. Looking for information on travel options. Taxi, BART, Van service that can get us to the ship. Any information/advice (including cost) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Super shuttle from airport. Better still - Execucar.

Some folks will tell you BART - wrong! Dirty crazy commuter train and you'll have to then take taxi or trolley to cruise terminal. Too much trouble to save a few bucks. AND why not stay downtown where you can more easily get to SF attractions. Please don't tell us you're not staying for a few days pre-cruise!!! Way too much to see and enjoy.

If you must stay near airport, eat at Mingalaba Burmese restaurant in Burligame - yum!

I'm curious what hotel you're staying at. We're cruising on the Grand Princess to Alaska this summer and are debating whether or not to get a hotel the night before but most of them I have seen are super expensive.

Are you looking at flying in the day of the cruise. You said debating a hotel what does that mean?

Airport or downtown?

Keith

I'm curious what hotel you're staying at. We're cruising on the Grand Princess to Alaska this summer and are debating whether or not to get a hotel the night before but most of them I have seen are super expensive.

Not sure yet. The hotels downtown are ridiculous ($300 - $500/night). There are hotels near the airport in the $100+ range. Looking for affordable transportation from airport area to the cruise terminal. Will probably wind up taking a van or taxi.

Not sure yet. The hotels downtown are ridiculous ($300 - $500/night). There are hotels near the airport in the $100+ range. Looking for affordable transportation from airport area to the cruise terminal. Will probably wind up taking a van or taxi.

If this is your first SF trip, and you don't figure a few pre-cruise days here, you're missing some wonderful sightseeing and dining experiences (and I'm not talking about Fisherman's Wharf). IMO, same day or only one day ahead arrival is a real waste of your airfare.

Moreover, $300-$500/night hotels are not "ridiculous" in any large cosmopolitan city (e.g., New York, Boston, Chicago, etc).

Though there are lower priced options by SFO (airport Hyatt, Marriott, et al. can be just under $200 and are serviced by the free Burlingame Trolley, which will take you to some great restaurants like Mingalaba [burmese], you will basically be in the middle of nowhere for vacationers). And you'll still need to get to the Embarcadero to meet the ship.

As for $100-$200 hotels closer in to SF, there are a few but don't be "pennywise and pound foolish."

Not our first trip to SF but other factors won't let us go any earlier (grandson's birthday the day before). Just looking for a place to sleep the night before and transportation to the pier. We're traveling from Philadelphia so will be getting in late the night before. Not really interested in sightseeing. Thanks

Not our first trip to SF but other factors won't let us go any earlier (grandson's birthday the day before). Just looking for a place to sleep the night before and transportation to the pier. We're traveling from Philadelphia so will be getting in late the night before. Not really interested in sightseeing. Thanks

I totally get what you mean. We might just end up flying the day of the cruise since we're from Southern California and my sister is coming from Oregon but I'm just worried in the off chance if a flight gets cancelled. Are you sailing on the Grand Princess?

I totally get what you mean. We might just end up flying the day of the cruise since we're from Southern California and my sister is coming from Oregon but I'm just worried in the off chance if a flight gets cancelled. Are you sailing on the Grand Princess?

Good news is that there's many LAX-SFO commuter flights. Bad news is they're generally full. So, you don't want to be in the position of not getting on your original one.

As I suggested above, if you do stay at the airport, opt for a better hotel serviced by the local trolley (to get to good restaurants).

• 2 months later...

Just booked a room at the Best Western Plus in Millbrae for $129. King bed, free shuttle from airport and breakfast. Just need to arrange transportation from hotel to pier. Probably going with Uber.

We will be flying into SFO the night before our cruise and staying in a motel near the airport. Looking for information on travel options. Taxi, BART, Van service that can get us to the ship. Any information/advice (including cost) would be appreciated.

Thanks

We live near SFO, we usually get a taxi to the ship. The motel staff can call a taxi for you. We find it easier with luggage. Last trip we did with luggage, was about $90 including tip.