Tipping on Mediterranean Cruise

Libby13

We are due to go on our first cruise in July to the Mediterranean on the Emerald Princess sailing from Southampton (we are British). I've been reading all the really helpful tips on here from previous cruisers and one thing I am confused about is tipping. We will more than likely do the tips package included on our cruise but would like to give a bit extra to room stewards etc. Everything I have read so far says tips in dollars, is this because everyone who has given advice has been American or is this standard? Before reading all that I would have assumed for this cruise either Euro's or Pounds. Help!

Generally speaking you can tip in any currency anywhere in the world, however it is considered more appropriate to tip in the currency which the ship uses or the region where you are cruising. In your scenario; it would be best to tip in US Dollars or Euros. Other people may have a different opinion but realistically when the crew go ashore local currency will be useful or US dollars for banking I should have thought. Either of those seems likely to be useful. I should not specifically buy in a currency specifically to tip in.

Easiest is keep the auto-gratuities going and supplement as you feel appropriate.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I too would go with USA dollars or Euros or Pounds are fine too.

The Emerald Princess is considered one of the USA oriented ships which is why typically most things are discussed in USA dollars.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I think of Princess as being mid-Atlantic American ;)

But on-board currency is the US dollar - that's how everything's priced, that's how the OP will be billed.

Which reminds me, Libby, at some point on your cruise you'll receive a form asking if you'd like Princess to convert your on-board account to sterling before charging your card, "for your convenience" :rolleyes:

DECLINE that offer. Princess will give you a lousy rate of exchange. Instead, allow your card to be charged in dollars & let your card supplier convert at wholesale exchange rates - better than regular exchange bureaux & far far better than Princess.

By the same token, get your euros before you go from the usual suspects - M&S, Tesco, Post Office, etc, or use ATMs in the ports. Use Princess only in desperate circumstances.

Same applies to all non-sterling cruise lines.

If you travel abroad reasonably often, get a credit card that doesn't charge commission on purchases abroad (that includes the ship). Halifax Clarity, Capital one, Post office credit card, Nationwide Flex (Europe) or Flexplus (worldwide), doubtless there are others.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks everyone. As we are getting Euros anyway will use those for any tips as well. Didn't want to make a tipping faux pas!!

John Bull thanks for that bit of information, everything will be going on my partner's credit card so I'll pass that on to him as well. Probably something we'd have assumed would be worth doing so glad you mentioned it.

Just pay your auto daily gratuity charge and you'll be fine. DON'T feel pressured into extra tipping unless you think that crew member did a fantastic job or something special, etc... If you purchase drinks at a bar, MDR, etc.. the gratuity is added on the bill for you. Euros is fine, don't get USD

We are British and are on Emerald in September. Have cruised 3 times previously with Princess and tip in dollars and keep on board account in dollars it seems easier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...