Ft. Lauderdale on a budget

cruiselife4me

I'm looking to book two rooms for Ft. Lauderdale in Feb. 2017. Prices are so high. I want a shuttle FROM the airport and (if far from port) one to the port. If not far will take taxi.

I'd like to keep it under $180 if possible. Any idea's? I've been looking and while I don't care my friends would like a chain hotel.

Thanks!

"Prices are so high."

Hyatt Place on 17th St. Can be had for $195 (vs. $279 regularly) through http://www.valuetrips.com

The prices and rooms are not available for 2017 here yet. Too there are many black out dates in Feb which is peak. This is a possibility for good prepaid pricing when it is available.

Too early to determine rates on discount sites.

OP needs to look further from downtown/port area to save a few dollars. Forget about shuttles. Too limiting.

A better solution is raise the budget to at least $200. Lots of time to sock away that extra $50 or so.;)

Found several that meet (or come pretty close) to your criteria.

You didn't say if you meet some of the special rate requirements - I found AAA rates - senior or AARP would be similar. You can also save a few bucks if you do an advance purchase rate, but then there are no refunds/cancelations available with that. (Remember to add 11% for tax.)

These are for 1 King, non smoking:

Hampton Inn Plantation

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-plantation-FLLPTHX/index.html

AAA rate - $169

Easy Cancel - $199

Adv. Purchase - $179

(airport shuttle and shuttle to cruise port included)

Cambia Hotel and Suites, Dania Beach

https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/dania-beach/cambria-hotels/fla82?adults=2&checkInDate=2017-02-23&checkOutDate=2017-02-24&ratePlanCode=S3A

AAA - $179

Adv. Purchase - $159

Regular - $199

(airport transportation included; shuttle to cruise port available for charge - or at least was when we stayed there March 2015)

Sleep Inn, Dania

https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/dania/sleep-inn-hotels/fl664

AAA - $126

Adv. Purchase - $112

Regular - $140

(free airport shuttle; not sure about shuttle to cruise port)

Depends on location of the hotel. If you have a lot of time after arrival, location is much more important if you don't want to be stuck somewhere without restaurants and other things to walk to.

Travel agents (and cruise booked hotels) don't shop for discounts. We look for values on discount sites.

Thanks All! I was actually looking at our travel agent hotel deals and they weren't as cheap as you are listing. Go figure.

Choice hotels offer VIP rates when travel agents book their clients. Choice chain includes Cambria, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Comfort, and Rodeway. These rates are almost as low as prepay rates but without the commitment.

I am also looking at Feb 2017 and the rates are very high. $300.00 +. I am probably going to need about 15 rooms. And I know I need to wait another month before all the hotels have their prices listed. I am leaning toward trying value trips as this is the area I would like to be in. Do you think i should jump now or wait the extra month? Does anyone know what value trips cancellation policy is?

I am also looking at Feb 2017 and the rates are very high. $300.00 +. I am probably going to need about 15 rooms. And I know I need to wait another month before all the hotels have their prices listed. I am leaning toward trying value trips as this is the area I would like to be in. Do you think i should jump now or wait the extra month? Does anyone know what value trips cancellation policy is?

February is high season and should it be over Presidents Day weekend it will be even more expensive. If you need 15 rooms, first (especially since you have lots of time) call the hotels you are interested in and ask for a block rate or some type of discount (one free room, etc.).

February is high season and should it be over Presidents Day weekend it will be even more expensive. If you need 15 rooms, first (especially since you have lots of time) call the hotels you are interested in and ask for a block rate or some type of discount (one free room, etc.).

Nailed it. Smack dab, Saturday night on presidents weekend!!! Perfect:eek:

Nailed it. Smack dab, Saturday night on presidents weekend!!! Perfect:eek:

That's a perfect storm of a weekend. In addition to being a 3 day weekend, it is the beginning of winter vacation week in New England (and other) public schools, and Sunday is always the Fort Lauderdale marathon (which thankfully isn't as big as NYC, Washington, DC or Miami). At least in 2017 it doesn't include Valentine's Day (which it did this year).

Read the fine print. I do not believe there is one. :) We have used VT many times for the Hyatt.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AboutVT.htm

Edited by janetz

The Hyatt Place Plantation is a decent place and tends to be a bit less than the others. We have stayed there a number of times. It is within walking distance of a Target and a Mall. No free shuttle, but they do have an arrangement with a local guy and sometimes offer packages. You can also arrange transportation directly with him or another company. The amount you save will more than cover the transport costs.

Since you need one night and 15 rooms, I'm going to suggest calling the airport hotels and look in the suburbs. Most hotels near the port, beach, or downtown will have at least two night minimums if not more.

For your group, Plantation or Sawgrass would work very well.

• 6 months later...

I am on the Feb 12 sailing on the Freedom of the Seas, traveling with a group. We have a group rate at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

The group rate is $239.00. Reg rate is in the area of $300.00.

The group rate applies to any these dates: Feb 6 - Feb 14, 2017.

We have a parking discount too. During the hotel stay and also during the cruise.

Get in touch if you want more info: desertstorm25th@gmail.com

Here is the hotel info: The Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina

1881 SE 17TH STREET, FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, 33316

The Hilton is 2 miles from the Ft Lauderdale Airport (FLL)

and less than 1 mile from the Cruise Ship Pier.

The group is a military reunion. As we are now less than 5 months from sailing, we need to make sure that all of the rooms in our group block get booked, as we are under a contract with the hotel.

Thanks!

We also need a room for Saturday night of President's weekend (2/18/17 - a valuetrips blackout date). Prices are borderline absurd. I suppose we can possibly find something slightly more reasonable somewhere between FLL and POM. However, then we're looking at adding a rental car. So that would likely erase any savings from the hotel cost. So, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact we'll be paying through the nose no matter what we do.

We also need a room for Saturday night of President's weekend (2/18/17 - a valuetrips blackout date). Prices are borderline absurd. I suppose we can possibly find something slightly more reasonable somewhere between FLL and POM. However, then we're looking at adding a rental car. So that would likely erase any savings from the hotel cost. So, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact we'll be paying through the nose no matter what we do.

I ended up with 10 rooms at the La Quinta FLL airport location for $175.00. Last I looked Expedia still had this price offered. Walking distance to Oakmont Plaza for eating and drinks. Has airport transportation and nominal fee to get to the port.:)

• 2 months later...

If anyone needs a good pre-cruise/post-cruise hotel, we still have a group rate available at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

I am sailing with a military reunion group and we have extra rooms.

The Hilton is located 2 miles from FLL and less than 1 mile from the cruise ship terminal.

Our group rate is $239.00.

This rate is good for any of these dates: Feb 6 - 14, 2017.

Here is the link to book: https://aws.passkey.com/event/14757489/owner/4912/home

You don't need a code. Click on "attendee".

If you have any questions you can get in touch with me here: desertstorm25th@gmail.com

I'm looking to book two rooms for Ft. Lauderdale in Feb. 2017. Prices are so high. I want a shuttle FROM the airport and (if far from port) one to the port. If not far will take taxi.

I'd like to keep it under $180 if possible. Any idea's? I've been looking and while I don't care my friends would like a chain hotel.

Thanks!

Hampton Inn - Plantation - Free airport and cruise shuttles - Nice area walking distance to two malls with dozens of restaurants, Total Wine and Publix Grocery Store.

The Hyatt Place Plantation is a decent place and tends to be a bit less than the others. We have stayed there a number of times. It is within walking distance of a Target and a Mall. No free shuttle, but they do have an arrangement with a local guy and sometimes offer packages. You can also arrange transportation directly with him or another company. The amount you save will more than cover the transport costs.

You need to start staying at the Hampton Inn Plantation where they have both airport and cruise port shuttles and a much better location in between Westfield Mall and The Fountains.

• 3 weeks later...